• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
El Pistolero said:
movingtarget said:
El Pistolero said:
Rationality says that track cycling is of a much lower level than road cycling.

I don't dislike Wiggo, I just think his palmares is incredibly overrated. He had one amazing year, that's it.

The reason for road cycling getting all the attention now is money. Track cycling used to be huge and there was good money to be made. Salaries for good road riders did not increase much until Lemond, Anderson and others started pushing for changes and better money and sponsors started getting behind the non Europeans who were not too successful before then. Even Merckx used to ride six Day Races and get paid big money. Most young riders now just use the track to make the transition to the road same with mountain biking. All of the money is in road racing. Track cycling champions now don't get much attention anymore but they were superstars before.

I know track cycling used to be bigger, I run past het Kuipke on a daily basis. :) Been to the event numerous times and know all about Patrick Sercu and also the achievements of Merckx on the track. But this is 2016 and track cycling is only popular with a few Anglophone countries and only because of the Olympics. I don't think that's a healthy spot to be in as a sport.

I think 10 medals for a niche sport as track cycling is way too much. If track cycling is Olympic, so should cyclocross be...

UCI want to add it to the winter games.

IOC regulations mandate that 'winter' sports must involve snow or ice.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Cannibal72 said:
MatParker117 said:
El Pistolero said:
movingtarget said:
El Pistolero said:

I don't dislike Wiggo, I just think his palmares is incredibly overrated. He had one amazing year, that's it.

The reason for road cycling getting all the attention now is money. Track cycling used to be huge and there was good money to be made. Salaries for good road riders did not increase much until Lemond, Anderson and others started pushing for changes and better money and sponsors started getting behind the non Europeans who were not too successful before then. Even Merckx used to ride six Day Races and get paid big money. Most young riders now just use the track to make the transition to the road same with mountain biking. All of the money is in road racing. Track cycling champions now don't get much attention anymore but they were superstars before.

I know track cycling used to be bigger, I run past het Kuipke on a daily basis. :) Been to the event numerous times and know all about Patrick Sercu and also the achievements of Merckx on the track. But this is 2016 and track cycling is only popular with a few Anglophone countries and only because of the Olympics. I don't think that's a healthy spot to be in as a sport.

I think 10 medals for a niche sport as track cycling is way too much. If track cycling is Olympic, so should cyclocross be...

dyn001_original_600_400_jpeg_2654622_8d41e01bde958da37f3423bebc414a60.jpg

Why would that be a problem?

Cannibal72 said:
MatParker117 said:
El Pistolero said:
movingtarget said:
El Pistolero said:

This rule does not apply, however, to host cities, who can have abosultely no snow or ice at any point of the year as long as they have money.

Apparently it gets better..:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/olympics/sir-bradley-wiggins-claims-mole-in-team-gb-cycling-camp-attempted-to-sabotage-rio-success/ar-BBvG0fG?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

...But the 36-year-old insists he never saw the headlines as a 'huge problem', and dismissed the claims which led to Sutton's resignation as 'bitter people that didn't make the grade'.

"There was a bit of a campaign to almost sabotage the games from a British cycling point of view," he said in Rio. "There was obviously a mole in the camp.

If Sutton is misogynist, then so are most of the Aussie men I've met.

This may be the case, of course. It's not a big sample.

On a side note, Wiggins has sponsored Wiggle-Honda (now Wiggle-High 5) when it was set up. So he has form in supporting women's cycling (and not many do), just as he has form in being gobby and a bit of a melon at times. I don't think it's black and white.

On another side note, which really is a digression, Becky James probably wouldn't be at the Olympics if Sutton hadn't backed her through a long injury... which was also partly why the women's team sprint had problems, which is partly why Varnish spoke out and all the gubbins started coming out. A tangled web.

Re:

King Boonen said:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/olympics/sir-bradley-wiggins-claims-mole-in-team-gb-cycling-camp-attempted-to-sabotage-rio-success/ar-BBvG0fG?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

...But the 36-year-old insists he never saw the headlines as a 'huge problem', and dismissed the claims which led to Sutton's resignation as 'bitter people that didn't make the grade'.

"There was a bit of a campaign to almost sabotage the games from a British cycling point of view," he said in Rio. "There was obviously a mole in the camp.

Pendleton clearly backing Varnish against Sutton due to her bitterness over her own lack of success

PremierAndrew said:
King Boonen said:

Pendleton clearly backing Varnish against Sutton due to her bitterness over her own lack of success

Kind of get the sense that Dave Brailsford and Steve Peters often acted as good cop to Shane's bad.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

MatParker117 said:
PremierAndrew said:
King Boonen said:

Kind of get the sense that Dave Brailsford and Steve Peters often acted as good cop to Shane's bad.

I dont think Sutton 'acted', i think it was real.

Brailsford doesn't come out of it smelling of roses either.

PremierAndrew said:
King Boonen said:

Yes. The allegation of there being "... a mole in the camp." is borderline crazy too. Lost any respect I had for him after that I'm afraid.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sir Bradley not throwing under the bus the person he characterised as “the only person who understands me inside and out” and credits with his Great Triumphs?

I'm shocked.

Whatever there is to be said of Sutton's behavior I love the comments of late that think he has had had nothing to do with their current successes. That the boogeyman has now gone and athletes are suddenly winning in spite of him. Pretty naive. They were already winning and continue to do so. If Wiggins comments are not true or at least honest why aren't the so called victims getting stuck into him on social media ? Or are they ? Whatever has happened it seems that the Great Britain cycling program is still in good order. Sutton should move on as i am sure other teams would be happy to have him. Teams sign former dopers without an issue so abrasive so called misogynists would also have a place but maybe outside the UK and maybe stick with the men's teams instead. I guess misanthropy is not illegal.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Whatever there is to be said of Sutton's behavior I love the comments of late that think he has had had nothing to do with their current successes. That the boogeyman has now gone and athletes are suddenly winning in spite of him. Pretty naive. They were already winning and continue to do so. If Wiggins comments are not true or at least honest why aren't the so called victims getting stuck into him on social media ? Or are they ? Whatever has happened it seems that the Great Britain cycling program is still in good order. Sutton should move on as i am sure other teams would be happy to have him. Teams sign former dopers without an issue so abrasive so called misogynists would also have a place but maybe outside the UK and maybe stick with the men's teams instead. I guess misanthropy is not illegal.

exactly, Sutton has been part of the successes and helped to build the ones they had this week

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

burning said:
Riis was a world class TT'er and a ridiculous climber for a short period of time. Wiggins was the best TT'er and very good climber for a short period of time. His pursuit ability doesn't have much significance in overall picture.

Theae guys are very comparable but I know that it is pretty much impossible to argue with a British guy.
riis was never a world class itt'r even when he was fully juiced he was never the best. I think he has won a grand total of one itt in his whole career, which was an itt in tour of denmark :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS