• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 233 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
The vast majority of Belgians don't even know what madison is... How many riders can make a decent career these days riding Six Day events? This isn't the seventies anymore like I said.

But hey, if you want to believe track cycling is big in Belgium then by all means...
there are more than 3000 professional trackcyclists in japan, 7 billion dollars a year goes through the keirin in japan alone with more than 5 million people watching at the track, FAR more than in all roadcycling combined. yeah sure a small sport :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
MatParker117 said:
El Pistolero said:
movingtarget said:
El Pistolero said:
Rationality says that track cycling is of a much lower level than road cycling.

I don't dislike Wiggo, I just think his palmares is incredibly overrated. He had one amazing year, that's it.

The reason for road cycling getting all the attention now is money. Track cycling used to be huge and there was good money to be made. Salaries for good road riders did not increase much until Lemond, Anderson and others started pushing for changes and better money and sponsors started getting behind the non Europeans who were not too successful before then. Even Merckx used to ride six Day Races and get paid big money. Most young riders now just use the track to make the transition to the road same with mountain biking. All of the money is in road racing. Track cycling champions now don't get much attention anymore but they were superstars before.

I know track cycling used to be bigger, I run past het Kuipke on a daily basis. :) Been to the event numerous times and know all about Patrick Sercu and also the achievements of Merckx on the track. But this is 2016 and track cycling is only popular with a few Anglophone countries and only because of the Olympics. I don't think that's a healthy spot to be in as a sport.

I think 10 medals for a niche sport as track cycling is way too much. If track cycling is Olympic, so should cyclocross be...

UCI want to add it to the winter games.

I hope they succeed, the sport needs to grow. We Belgians would win less if it became Olympic, but I'd gladly take that if it means the sport can become bigger and more international. It's a fun sport to watch and very easy to understand.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you are bashing track cycling for being to olympic centered and you want that mudwrestling of your flemish drunken idiots to become olympic? :eek:

it also shows your true colors again, you are nationalist of course and therefore like mudriding instead of trakcycling where you suck at.

Ryo Hazuki said:
King Boonen said:
why? where you involved in this somehow and know what is right or wrong? :rolleyes:
I imagine not, but calling disabled people gimps and telling women to go have a baby is pretty bad, and when quite a few women, including Pendleton, someone who Sutton claimed he got on with brilliantly, say he is a misogynist, then is it not logical to believe that he is?

Brullnux said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
King Boonen said:
why? where you involved in this somehow and know what is right or wrong? :rolleyes:
I imagine not, but calling disabled people gimps and telling women to go have a baby is pretty bad, and when quite a few women, including Pendleton, someone who Sutton claimed he got on with brilliantly, say he is a misogynist, then is it not logical to believe that he is?

I was just going to ignore, it's fairly obvious what the problem is if you read the article. This bit:

"If I'm completely honest, I think there's a lot of bitter people that didn't make the grade, got the boot and they have now come out picking holes in things. ..."

Nice to see him describe someone with 9 World Championships, 2 Olympic golds and 1 Olympic silver as someone who didn't make the grade.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
King Boonen said:
any direct evidence to that? and what was the context of it?

Ryo Hazuki said:
Brullnux said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
King Boonen said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/shane-sutton
Read through the articles there, and see Pooley's excellent piece.

Here is Pendleton:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/26/victoria-pendleton-olympics-shane-sutton
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/04/25/jess-varnish-is-right--there-is-sexism-at-the-top-of-british-cyc/

The read what Wiggins has to say about it

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Brullnux said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
King Boonen said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/shane-sutton
Read through the articles there, and see Pooley's excellent piece.

Here is Pendleton:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/26/victoria-pendleton-olympics-shane-sutton
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/04/25/jess-varnish-is-right--there-is-sexism-at-the-top-of-british-cyc/

The read what Wiggins has to say about it
At the end of the day his ruthlessness and nastiness is what helped gb to the top. Yes he's not a nice man however people like him are vital to gb cycling and he should be reinstated

Ramon Koran said:
At the end of the day his ruthlessness and nastiness is what helped gb to the top. Yes he's not a nice man however people like him are vital to gb cycling and he should be reinstated

This is the worst kind of "ends justify the means" view that is so prevalent in these kind of situations and it's a massive part of the problem, not just in sport but everywhere.

There is absolutely no proof that someone like that is even helpful to the situation. Correlation does not equal causation, it's just a confirmation of bias. The views reported and confirmed by other riders are disgusting and have no place in a publicly funded, national team.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Anything Froome can do...

https://twitter.com/SkyCycling/status/772863394307248128

CrnDKQbWAAAWNUG.jpg

That's brilliant :lol:

Re:

Amnes2015 said:
anything to stay relevant... 1 hit wonder cyclist and even that was a gifted by Froome.

I'm not sure if this is for real, even the people who don't particularly like Wiggins tend to admit he has a long and varied career. If you are talking just about his road career he still podiumed in 3 grand tours and won a huge amount of stage races, as well as winning the TTWC.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site

Singer01 said:
Amnes2015 said:
anything to stay relevant... 1 hit wonder cyclist and even that was a gifted by Froome.

I'm not sure if this is for real, even the people who don't particularly like Wiggins tend to admit he has a long and varied career. If you are talking just about his road career he still podiumed in 3 grand tours and won a huge amount of stage races, as well as winning the TTWC.

If Tony Martin would be gifted a TdF with 120 km of flat ITT it will make him also a one hit wonder.

Also he podiumed only in 2 grand tours, in both of them Froome worked for him.

If not for this Brad primadona, Froome would have own 5 GT's at this moment.

Wiggins was a very good TT'er that profited from the work of one of the greats.

Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

And I'm very very far from being a Wiggins' fan!

Amnes2015 said:
Singer01 said:
Amnes2015 said:

If Tony Martin would be gifted a TdF with 120 km of flat ITT it will make him also a one hit wonder.

If a donkey had wings, could fly.

Amnes2015 said:
Singer01 said:
Amnes2015 said:

1. Tony Martin was there.

2. It's three in this section of the forum. 2009 counts.

Totally pointless comparing Wiggins to any other rider because nobody switches disciplines anymore in the modern era throughout their career like Wiggins has. His nearest would be Bradley McGee, I can't think of anyone else with a career so varied unless you go back to perhaps the 60's.

Re:

samhocking said:
Totally pointless comparing Wiggins to any other rider because nobody switches disciplines anymore in the modern era throughout their career like Wiggins has. His nearest would be Bradley McGee, I can't think of anyone else with a career so varied unless you go back to perhaps the 60's.

Well, no-one has been as successful as Wiggins, either on track or road. You could make an argument Cavendish is better at what he does on the road, but then his track palmares doesn't compare.

I have a feeling that even if Wiggins had won P-R last year, he'd still be a one hit wonder to some.

Kelly won 1 Vuelta but becos of his other Monument wins he is not called a one hit wonder . Similarly Wiggins even though he has only one TDF to his name, is not a one hit wonder due to his other wins in TT and Olympics. Hesjedal, Horner, Cobo, Pereiro are a one hit wonder for their GT wins though.

Re:

huge said:
Currently Wiggins definitely has a much bigger place in cycling history than Froome.

I mean, that guy has gone from I don't remember how many Olympic golds in Track Cycling to a Tour, an Olympic Gold in TT, the Hour Record (untouchable at the moment) and God knows whatelse.

No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.

movingtarget said:
huge said:

No doubt Wiggins is more versatile but three Tours has to count for something with probably more to come plus a couple of previous podiums in the Tour and Vuelta. By the time Froome is finished he will be remembered more than Wiggins as a road rider at least.
With three TDF wins, Froome is getting close to the absolute greats of the sport. Wigans may have been more competitive on other fronts, but Froome has won the most prestigious race there is more often than all but Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain (and Armstrong according to some).

Barring clinic issues, Froome will be remembered for longer.

TRENDING THREADS