• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins/ Froome - is it just a grudge?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Why doesn't Brailsford leave it up in the air and then monopolise the coverage of the Tour with the rivalry narrative, like Astana did in '09?

JRanton said:
People are seriously overplaying how hard this year's Tour is, probably as a reaction to last year's mountain stages. Even Froome said when the route was announced that he was surprised there weren't more serious mountain stages. Take the Ventoux stage for instance. That actually suits Wiggins very well. He's very good when only one big climbing effort is required and the preceding 220km of flat will take more out of the others than him. It's the big multi-climb stages that he struggles with because the climbing takes more out of him than it does for the pure climbers. The Alpe d'Huez stage would be hard for him of course but apart from that, and with no time bonuses available, I really don't think a fresh Wiggins, without a Giro in his legs and in last year's form, would lose much time in this year's mountain stages. Then you take into account the 65km of ITT, the 25km of TTT and I really don't think he'd be very far off the top of the podium.

Given the planning that went into 2013 from the team, and the original plan being Giggo for Giro and Froome for Tour, I'd say Sky management disagree with you.

May 7, 2013
Visit site
taiwan said:
Why doesn't Brailsford leave it up in the air and then monopolise the coverage of the Tour with the rivalry narrative, like Astana did in '09?

Despite the statement on the website he's done an an interview for BBC radio saying that it will be up in the air and decided during the tour (can't find a linkable source atm). You know they're just playing this for giggles right?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
smiggs said:
Despite the statement on the website he's done an an interview for BBC radio saying that it will be up in the air and decided during the tour (can't find a linkable source atm). You know they're just playing this for giggles right?

boring Tour parcourse needs something extra to entertain us

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a heack of a dilemma
In one hand you have Froome, that is stronger than Wiggo, also Wiggo will be tired
On other hand Wiggo will win Giro without any big problems, so he has a chance of going for double which is far more cool, and by doing that he will leave a big mark in cycling history

iZnoGouD said:
This is a heack of a dilemma
In one hand you have Froome, that is stronger than Wiggo, also Wiggo will be tired
On other hand Wiggo will win Giro without any big problems, so he has a chance of going for double which is far more cool, and by doing that he will leave a big mark in cycling history

I may be proved wrong, but I think Wiggins is going to win sfa this year: talk of a double is as silly as "how may tours will JtL win?"

I've just read Hoy & Wiggins autobiographries, and am struck by how self centred Wiggo is. He completely misreads Froome, by assuming he knows as much about cycling protocol as Wiggins does, when its obvious that although he's a talented rider, he knows very little about how to race. (This year has shown some improvement)

Wiggins without Shane in the car and with Brailsford being forced to come out in favour of Froome for the tour, is simply not the same rider as last year.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
coinneach said:
Wiggins without Shane in the car is simply not the same rider as last year.

I think you mean Sean? But he will slso be missing Shane as a coach/father figure/bollocker. And this will become more and more obvious as the summer goes on.

No Clinic innuendo at all, merely a reflection of their Wiggo handling skills and Yatesy's DSing skills.

Still nice to see him having fun at a grassroots level :D

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
In the Heat of the Night - Giro 2013 Wiggins/Froome/Brailsford

On stage 4 of the Giro Eurosport commentator Declan Quigley made passing mention of the the Wiggins/Froome Tour de France controversy. He said: "Dave Brailsford, well he's probably put a nail in it."

Yes, I bet he has - it's about the win, not who won. In the words of American football coach Blanton Collier: "You can accomplish anything you want as long as you don't care who gets the credit for it."

So I did video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIippZalCyo&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully you'll like it.

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
A sequence.. Coppi Anquetil Merckx Hinault Roche Indurain Pantani .. Wiggins ?#??

It just does not work.

Lets forget these two jokers Wiggins and Froome and their "spat" - good for uncle Rupes papers and TV eh?

TRENDING THREADS