• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins/ Froome - is it just a grudge?

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Wiggins has shown that he is prepared to ride for other people. I remember him riding himself into the ground for Cavendish at the Olympics even though he had the TT coming up (and even after Froome had stopped pulling in the same race).

So, two questions:

- If Froome hadn't showboated in last year's Tour, and if Michelle had kept her mouth shut, would Wiggins now be saying that he'd ride for Froome loyally?

- If Froome apologised to Wiggins for last year, would Wiggins stop what he's saying?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
No, whatever had happened in that tour Wiggins would have done the same now.

Guys like Wiggins don't need excuses. A d ick is a dic k ;)

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
What on earth has Wiggins said that is so wrong? Merely that he wants to go for a podium at least and that it is up to the team to decide who is the leader. IMO it is Froome who is shouting his mouth off saying that he is the leader.

Frankly Froome did very little to help Wiggins win last year - he pulled for 3km and gave up the chance of winning a stage. Big deal.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
What on earth has Wiggins said that is so wrong? Merely that he wants to go for a podium at least and that it is up to the team to decide who is the leader. IMO it is Froome who is shouting his mouth off saying that he is the leader.

Frankly Froome did very little to help Wiggins win last year - he pulled for 3km and gave up the chance of winning a stage. Big deal.

Are you serious?

images

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I should have said as well - This is all academic because Wiggins will be far too tired from the Giro even to be competitive. You cannot do the double these days without serious, heavy duty, Armstrong style juicing.

jamesmasters said:
I should have said as well - This is all academic because Wiggins will be far too tired from the Giro even to be competitive. You cannot do the double these days without serious, heavy duty, Armstrong style juicing.

now you are talking non sense. show me when did lance went for the double

but hey let's slam the boss from texas whenever we can:(

i don't find it possible too for wiggo, froomey will finish him at bonascre

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Are you serious?

Absolutely. Most of the work was done by the rest of the team. The idea that Froome could somehow have made up over 3 minutes if he had been allowed to ride on his own is ridiculous

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
now you are talking non sense. show me when did lance went for the double

but hey let's slam the boss from texas whenever we can:(

i don't find it possible too for wiggo, froomey will finish him at bonascre

No, he didn't - I just meant you need the same level of .... .... .... in order to be able to do what Wiggins says he is going to attempt. Wiggins knows this perfectly well - he is just paying Froome back and disrupting his Tour preparation.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
jamesmasters said:
Wiggins has shown that he is prepared to ride for other people. I remember him riding himself into the ground for Cavendish at the Olympics even though he had the TT coming up (and even after Froome had stopped pulling in the same race).

Froome rode for cav as well. However his work was done in the first 100km not the last 30km so seen by less people.

i agree with g thomas when he says that this is great for the sport. lance vs contador was too. i was pumped up like hell, remember all those eurosport ads and everything? epic stuff in terms of lance/alberto saga(not racing entertainment)until verbier.
this will bring lots of attention and money which is good.
i just hope both of them will be at absolute maximum

I don't see Froome as showboating contrary to team orders at all last year unless you include him riding Wiggins off his wheel. Or is he a showboater simply because he finished so high?

All I know is Wiggins doesn't win without Froome there last year. After being given one grand tour to fully lead this year, he should be willing to bury himself for Froome at the TdF.

I hope they give them dual leadership just to watch. The sky tactics will become ineffective. Despite that, Wiggins will absolutely get his *** handed to him on the climbing at this year's tour.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
All I know is Wiggins doesn't win without Froome there last year.
I don't believe that at all. Froome was there for insurance but there were no real challengers so he ended up hardly having to do any work for Wiggins.
In the Vuelta 2011 Froome pulled a huge amount and in hindsight gave up his chance of the overall, but not in the Tour 2012.

Morbius said:
I don't believe that at all. Froome was there for insurance but there were no real challengers so he ended up hardly having to do any work for Wiggins.
In the Vuelta 2011 Froome pulled a huge amount and in hindsight gave up his chance of the overall, but not in the Tour 2012.

Wiggins would have won the Tour last year without Froome almost for sure. Perhaps it would have been with a margin of 2 minutes instead of 6, but Wiggo was simply much better than the nearest non-Sky competitor on the parcours.

I mean they could have replaced Froome with Henao to do some of the bizz end lifting.

As for the grudge. Dunno if there are any, but I am pretty confident Wiggins wants to go for the double, if he is in a solid position deep into the 2nd week of the Tour.

Morbius said:
Absolutely. Most of the work was done by the rest of the team. The idea that Froome could somehow have made up over 3 minutes if he had been allowed to ride on his own is ridiculous
I completely agree. Maybe Froome was the better climber but no way he would have taken that time back. All those mini dropping wiggins accelerations were just stupid show off.

jamesmasters said:
Wiggins has shown that he is prepared to ride for other people. I remember him riding himself into the ground for Cavendish at the Olympics
A 1 day race, after youve won the tour de france, umm not quite the same thing as sacrificing the actual peak is it:rolleyes:

its like trying to compare someone who gives a fiver to charity with someone who flew to africa for 2 years in order to work with those in need.

- If Froome apologised to Wiggins for last year, would Wiggins stop what he's saying?

Apologized for what:confused:
WTF is wrong with some people. A guy sacrifices his own dreams and devotes the form of his life to helping you win the tour de france, acheieve your dreams, and he is expected to apologize?

WTF. :confused::confused:

Some people are seriously messed up in the head.

The Hitch said:
A 1 day race, after youve won the tour de france, umm not quite the same thing as sacrificing the actual peak is it:rolleyes:

its like trying to compare someone who gives a fiver to charity with someone who flew to africa for 2 years in order to work with those in need.

Apologized for what:confused:
WTF is wrong with some people. A guy sacrifices his own dreams and devotes the form of his life to helping you win the tour de france, acheieve your dreams, and he is expected to apologize?

WTF. :confused::confused:

Some people are seriously messed up in the head.

+1

And even if Wiggins does decide to dedicate himself to helping Froome at the TdF, he won't be on his top form. He won't be sacrificing much because he is targeting the Giro.

Wiggins and Froome talked on the phone about how boring the Cyclingnews Forum has been lately and decided to start a little "controversy" to spice things up. And now we get threads every day about how much they dislike each other.:D

Can't wait for the Giro to start!

Escarabajo said:
Wiggins and Froome talked on the phone about how boring the Cyclingnews Forum has been lately and decided to start a little "controversy" to spice things up. And now we get threads every day about how much they dislike each other.:D

Can't wait for the Giro to start!

phone service went down just as froome was about to call MC.

i think a lot of crap is talked regarding mountain domestique work. The fact is, on the climbs a rider doesnt really need help from team-mates apart from maybe water bottle duties. I think a lot of it (having team-mates around you during a climb) is purely a psychological show of strength, but in physical terms it makes little or no difference. If you've got the legs yr gonna be ok, team-mates or no.

In this regard i agree with those who say Froome made little or no help to Wiggins winning the Tour. I'm sure he wudda done it anyway, its not like he was ever in any danger of losing big time in the mountains.

The purpose of the 'Sky train' i suppose is mainly to set a regulated pace which is the fastest pace the GC man can climb the mountain. Presumably they also benefit from a small amount of drafting but this is not a big deal. Maybe it is also a sort of psychological show of strength.

p.s. i also agree with those who say Wiggins cannot perform to Tour-winning level after riding a Giro. Of course there is always the slight possibility that he may crash out of the giro early and then he could come to the Tour relatively fresh, but that is another matter. I am 99.9% sure Froome will be the strongest sky rider at the Tour, with Porte 2nd

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Memo to Wigo. First you have to win the Giro before you can announce that you are going for a Double. Until then, keep your mouth shut :eek:

+1 well said.

excerpt from robert millar blog about wiggin/froome:

"… Not after kicking down Froomie's dream sand castle and stamping on it even before he had planted the flag on top."

Lol. I like his metaphor. Froome's sand castle... pretty accurate. In his head, Froome thinks he is the outright leader. But not according to wiggin + sky's management. Go figure.

TRENDING THREADS