• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins real reason for leaving Garmin

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
By now most will have seen either of the following articles after Wiggins either joked or lost his cool after the ITT at the World Championships:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-comments-fuel-sky-speculation

http://www.velonews.com/article/98562/wiggins-looking-skyward

In the Professional road racing forum there is a thread or two about him. My thoughts belong here in the Clinic.

My first thought was that maybe the sucker has wised up. He really does want to win the TdF and after a fleeting glance in the clinic for threads, the jury is still out about the degree of help Garmin are willing to provide in terms of recovery. Gluten free diets, Lim's positive thinking and drastic weight loss only make one ride soo much faster. Also the massive anti doping monicker Vaughters has attached to the team doesn't really help if Wiggins seriously and realistically expects to win the Tour de France.

After reading this article: http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/5557/Wiggins-says-he-needs-a-move-to-improve

My only conclusion is that Wiggins knows the only way to improve is to get a serious doping program and that it is never going to happen at Garmin, at least to the degree he'll need to be competitive in the hills. So make a suggestion of a move in line with the rumours and hey presto, when it happens the lame excuses aren't necessary. Any thoughts people?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
By now most will have seen either of the following articles after Wiggins either joked or lost his cool after the ITT at the World Championships:

In the Professional road racing forum there is a thread or two about him. My thoughts belong here in the Clinic.

My first thought was that maybe the sucker has wised up. He really does want to win the TdF and after a fleeting glance in the clinic for threads, the jury is still out about the degree of help Garmin are willing to provide in terms of recovery. Gluten free diets, Lim's positive thinking and drastic weight loss only make one ride soo much faster. Also the massive anti doping monicker Vaughters has attached to the team doesn't really help if Wiggins seriously and realistically expects to win the Tour de France.

After reading this article: http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/5557/Wiggins-says-he-needs-a-move-to-improve

My only conclusion is that Wiggins knows the only way to improve is to get a serious doping program and that it is never going to happen at Garmin, at least to the degree he'll need to be competitive in the hills. So make a suggestion of a move in line with the rumours and hey presto, when it happens the lame excuses aren't necessary. Any thoughts people?
wow, way to go Wiggo. Not only is he a charger, but he disses Garmin too, as a Wigan equivalent.

Pretty low ball. Wonder what JV says about this?

Can't wait til Rihs gets a 75kg Cancellara to BMC for 2011, and he pumps them all.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

Good post. It makes you wonder.... especially when a rider says he can't win with a team like Garmin, that was founded on anti-doping principals. Truth is, it wasn't his team that prevented him from being on the podium this year, as they did a pretty good TTT, and he had help through almost all of the mountain stages.

British Pro Cycling said:
I thought you were talking about the interview where Wiggins criticised Gustav Erik Larsson for cheating...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-worlds-podium-bid-derailed-by-chain

That Wiggins sat up rather than take Cancellara's slipstream is typical of his character. You're unlikely to come across a more honest and decent sportsman.

Internet cafe?
Expensive stuff to keep your obsession with trolling going.

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins is seriously anti-doping and trying to interpret his comments to suggest he's suddenly decided to cast his morals aside is pretty low. He was talking just after a disappointing performance in the ITT where, mechanical problem exacerbated by officials delaying his team car aside, a podium finish was possible. He was undoubtedly "down" and probably in that mode of introspection that afflicts people in such circumstances. He woud have been better advised to make no comment to journalists until he was on a more even keel, but, hey, that's how he is. Ungrateful to Garmin? I don't think so, just thinking out loud about the difference in budgets between Garmin and some other squads (including Sky allegedly) - the winning margins in Grand Tours are often small and the incremental cost of getting every small improvement out is high... and remember that Garmin have been rumoured to be a possible destination for Contador in 2010 - hardly what you want to hear as a would-be Tour winner and bound to affect your loyalty a bit. Still better if he'd avoided the Wigan sound-bite but cut him some slack - he ain't going to be signing up with dodgy medicos any time soon.

Old Roadie said:
Wiggins is seriously anti-doping and trying to interpret his comments to suggest he's suddenly decided to cast his morals aside is pretty low. He was talking just after a disappointing performance in the ITT where, mechanical problem exacerbated by officials delaying his team car aside, a podium finish was possible. He was undoubtedly "down" and probably in that mode of introspection that afflicts people in such circumstances. He woud have been better advised to make no comment to journalists until he was on a more even keel, but, hey, that's how he is. Ungrateful to Garmin? I don't think so, just thinking out loud about the difference in budgets between Garmin and some other squads (including Sky allegedly) - the winning margins in Grand Tours are often small and the incremental cost of getting every small improvement out is high... and remember that Garmin have been rumoured to be a possible destination for Contador in 2010 - hardly what you want to hear as a would-be Tour winner and bound to affect your loyalty a bit. Still better if he'd avoided the Wigan sound-bite but cut him some slack - he ain't going to be signing up with dodgy medicos any time soon.

Yeah because all Wiggins needs is weight loss. :rolleyes:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Old Roadie said:

I don't think his comments have anything to do with doping.

As you have pointed out his comments were made just after a disappointing TT. I actually don't have a problem with the 'Wigan' comment - however his whole tone when Garmin/Sky was mentioned was that he thinks it is possible to win a Tour and that he needs a better team than Garmin to do it.
Obviously a part of being a Pro is to think big and positively, however equally important is to have realistic and achievable goals.

He made a comment that to win the the Champions League you need to play for Man Utd, Brads problem is he wouldn't make the 'Man Utd' teams.

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
I think he needs to stop whining so much.

Well you won't like the clinic then.

It's true that Brits in general do like to whine a lot, but I don't think Wiggins as an individual is a particularly whiney person. I thought he was quite restrained during the Tour in response to some of the comments from the Schlech brothers for instance. He didn't go ape at the French press for raising a few question like others have done. I suppose he does have a sort of blunt style that can come across as whiney to some, but all reports say he is quite a chilled out individual that is easy to work with. He plays the guitar - what more do you want? :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I thought he was quite restrained during the Tour in response to some of the comments from the Schlech brothers for instance.

Who are the Schlech brothers?

but all reports say he is quite a chilled out individual that is easy to work with.

Mark Cavendish disagrees with you.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well you won't like the clinic then.
Well, that's true. I just casually look over the threads in the clinic and hardly ever post in it(I think this post will be my third in the clinic).

It's true that Brits in general do like to whine a lot, but I don't think Wiggins as an individual is a particularly whiney person. I thought he was quite restrained during the Tour in response to some of the comments from the Schlech brothers for instance. He didn't go ape at the French press for raising a few question like others have done. I suppose he does have a sort of blunt style that can come across as whiney to some, but all reports say he is quite a chilled out individual that is easy to work with. He plays the guitar - what more do you want? :D

I remember in the 07 TdF when Moreni got popped. And Wiggins holding press conferences and whining to the press saying he was going to quit cycling and other crap. I completely understand that he would be ****ed in that situation. But come on, a lot of people need to think before they open their mouths. That includes David Millar who knows how to whine a bit also(maybe you are right about Brits liking to whine, but I don't like making generalizations about a whole country of people though).

titan_90 said:
I remember in the 07 TdF when Moreni got popped. And Wiggins holding press conferences and whining to the press saying he was going to quit cycling and other crap. I completely understand that he would be ****ed in that situation. But come on, a lot of people need to think before they open their mouths. That includes David Millar who knows how to whine a bit also(maybe you are right about Brits liking to whine, but I don't like making generalizations about people though).

Strange how he welcomed a doper back into the sport in Lance.
"I just think it’s fantastic, you know, a champion like that before retirement, he obviously feels he can still win at the top level."

Then again, the anti-doping crusader that is Vaughters, had this to say: "He’s opened himself up to a transparent anti-doping policy. So it can only be good for he the sport. If he’s opening all the results of his drug testing and he does get the same results as he did a few years ago that’s perfect, isn’t it?"

I want to puke.....

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
I remember in the 07 TdF when Moreni got popped. And Wiggins holding press conferences and whining to the press saying he was going to quit cycling and other crap.

Well if you get thrown off the tour through no fault of your own you'd be pretty ****ed off.

maybe you are right about Brits liking to whine, but I don't like making generalizations about a whole country of people though).

It's a well known fact unfortunately. :(

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
As usual you are wrong.

While they pretended to make up for the Media they still do not get along. Cavendish's dislike for Wiggens was central to his smack talk prior to the Giro.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/may/08/mark-cavendish-bradley-wiggins-giro-ditalia

Who is Wiggens?

It's understandable that they had a falling out over the unfortunate performance in the Olympics, but nine times out of ten you'd imagine the cockey sprinter is the root of an issue like that. They made up at the tour and all is well again. Wiggins is well liked in the peloton. He doesn't have many enemies.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
Strange how he welcomed a doper back into the sport in Lance.
"I just think it’s fantastic, you know, a champion like that before retirement, he obviously feels he can still win at the top level."

Then again, the anti-doping crusader that is Vaughters, had this to say: "He’s opened himself up to a transparent anti-doping policy. So it can only be good for he the sport. If he’s opening all the results of his drug testing and he does get the same results as he did a few years ago that’s perfect, isn’t it?"

I want to puke.....
One thing to consider is that Vaughters has no where to go that will make him good money and support his family. Most of his riders dont either. Look at Frischcorn (sorry I no its SP, to lazy to spell properly). He did his fling and then quit when he though perhaps its boring and unethical.

People want money.. It DOES give people more happiness. Money tends to equal friendship and sex...And STUFF thats fun to play with. I dont think peoples biggest values should be material and sex...But thats what most are after.

Who is Wiggens?

It's understandable that they had a falling out over the unfortunate performance in the Olympics, but nine times out of ten you'd imagine the cockey sprinter is the root of an issue like that. They made up at the tour and all is well again. Wiggins is well liked in the peloton. He doesn't have many enemies.

Who are the Schlech brothers?

Who is Wiggens?
Who are the Brits?
Seems the next time you are banned, Texas Pro Cycling might be a more appropriate username.
Still, at least you spice up the chat and one or two of your sentences actually make sense.

Garmin have signed Zirbel and Bobridge. Engines par excellence.
Now, they have two main uses. Either in TTT's (rare) or to soup up Tyler Farrar's train. (likely)

Maybe Wiggins has already seen the 5 year Garmin plan and he's no longer featured?

TRENDING THREADS