• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wilcockson and VN: Tools

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ilcockson-pat-mcquaid-interview-part-2_152170

The hardest-hitting question posed by Wilcockson during Part 2:
"VN: How do you see the state of mountain biking?"

Bloody brilliant!

Steve Frothingham actually dove-in to the comments section to explain that Velonews agreed to no pre-conditions for the interview (just a list of benign, lame questions). Tools!

tool_demoF.jpg

What a downhill ride for VN. Remember back in the day when it was for the hardcore? It was published on large format newsprint. There were no glossy pics. Bob Roll was actually funny. Now they are owned by race promoters who are only interested in funneling more people into their marathon series.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What a downhill ride for VN. Remember back in the day when it was for the hardcore? It was published on large format newsprint. There were no glossy pics. Bob Roll was actually funny. Now they are owned by race promoters who are only interested in funneling more people into their marathon series.

++1 Dude,
I remember being in college and always looking forward to Bobke's column where he would talk about his grey stools from all the crazy food they would eat while one the road. Very funny. It is sad that it's fallen so far.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I agree except for Bobke and his daily stool column
"today was some nasty khaki colored stool with yellow highlights that were not corn..."
Comedy is in the eye of the beholder and i never went for the (literally)toilet humor

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...ilcockson-pat-mcquaid-interview-part-2_152170

The hardest-hitting question posed by Wilcockson during Part 2:
"VN: How do you see the state of mountain biking?"

Bloody brilliant!

Steve Frothingham actually dove-in to the comments section to explain that Velonews agreed to no pre-conditions for the interview (just a list of benign, lame questions). Tools!

I read Steve's comments and while I am sure it is true, it is not going to upset McQuaid's sleeping pattern that VN are looking for an interview and in particular when it is JW.

I will make my "Part III doping what McQuaid says" predictions here:
• God bless Mammy, Daddy & the Biological Passport.
• The Biological Passport is responsible for catching all dopers, Frei, Fuyu Li, AC, masters on the Papp list, Puerto, Festina ...everyone.
• Cycling does more! More testing, more super testing.
• Pat will focus (vaguely)on the one paragraph of the WADA IO report that was (for diplomacy) nice about the UCI.
• Cycling were the first sport to do drug testing, first to do EPO testing, then to have the Biological Passport (JW will ignore the "Why?")
• A vague reference that "scientists" who look at the BP are convinced that majority of riders are clean.
• Pat will say how he is personally for life-bans but he has to abide by WADA rules.
• On Contador - it shows the UCI is tough on dopers, not afraid to go after the big names.
• The US Fed investigation (if mentioned) - UCI not contacted, would be happy to co-operate.
• There will be no sign of a receipt (& probably not mentioned).
• Bribery - am I mean 'donations' are a mistake (but we're keeping the money, thanks).

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the comments section, as suggested by the OP, I notice that (by pure co-incidence) there's a poster on there called BotanyBay appeasing a cyclist who broke the anti-apartheid sanctions.

What a tool.

You should get on there and admonish the imposter for taking your username and smearing your righteous reputation.

Scumbag Rider said:
I cannot address the rest of your accusations but I too raced in South Africa in the Spring of 1975 and met up with Pat and Sean Kelley later that Summer in the Tour of Ireland. I warned them about the suspensions they would face if they went down to SA but in those days we would all do whatever it took to ride a stage race in a foreign country especially with all expenses paid and a chance to win some real money. The list of other riders both pro and amateur at the time who competed down there consists of some pretty big names who have never been challenged about thier motives. It was a different time, lets just leave it at that.

BotanyBay said:
This was back in the time where riders actually earned their "real" livings from prize money rather than from salary and endorsements. They might be our heroes today, but back in the day, they didn't really make very much money. Times have changed and now riders face a completely different set of ethical choices.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Looking at the comments section, as suggested by the OP, I notice that (by pure co-incidence) there's a poster on there called BotanyBay appeasing a cyclist who broke the anti-apartheid sanctions.

What a tool.

You should get on there and admonish the imposter for taking your username and smearing your righteous reputation.

Not an imposter. But I'm not about to hop on the bandwagon of bashing any of those guys for their actions in 1975. I was 7 years old then. I don't think I was even aware of boycotts and such until I was far into high school.

Do you have a deep understanding of cultural norms from 1975? Here's a picture of a restaurant my family would often go to in 1975:

6a00d83452989a69e201310f8e04ed970c-800wi

Am I a racist? An apologist?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Not an imposter. But I'm not about to hop on the bandwagon of bashing any of those guys for their actions in 1975. I was 7 years old then. I don't think I was even aware of boycotts and such until I was far into high school.

Do you have a deep understanding of cultural norms from 1975? Here's a picture of a restaurant my family would often go to in 1975:

Am I a racist? An apologist?

Well I'm younger than you (by four years), and I remember apartheid. Are you still 7 or are you unable to learn?

The Gleneagles Agreement ran until the late 80s at least. Those who broke it will lack my respect in some part (Kelly, McQuaid, Gooch, Boycott, the All Blacks etc). Breaking it was far worse, to me, than any of the doping you rail against.

Are you racist? No idea, I don't know you.
Are you an apologist? Well, it looks that way to me. (Using the usual language of this forum, I'll call you a PW Botha fanboy).

You would have been 17 when this was released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCJWjqjQww

BotanyBay said:

Isn't that the restaurant that featured a story that people thought was racist because the child in the story was drawn in black and people were too stupid to figure out that it was set in India? Apparently the tigers were not a big enough clue.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Man, I used to love Sambo's. Great pancakes.

When many of us were young at the time the reasons for the boycott were clear to anyone over the age of 16. That McQuaid had no problem ignoring the boycott is just another example that adds to the overall narrative that Fat Pat is ethically challenged

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Well I'm younger than you (by four years), and I remember apartheid. Are you still 7 or are you unable to learn?

The Gleneagles Agreement ran until the late 80s at least. Those who broke it will lack my respect in some part (Kelly, McQuaid, Gooch, Boycott, the All Blacks etc). Breaking it was far worse, to me, than any of the doping you rail against.

Are you an apologist? Well, it looks that way to me. (Using the usual language of this forum, I'll call you a PW Botha fanboy).

You would have been 17 when this was released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCJWjqjQww

I preferred this song at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTvoWjZJU

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Isn't that the restaurant that featured a story that people thought was racist because the child in the story was drawn in black and people were too stupid to figure out that it was set in India? Apparently the tigers were not a big enough clue.

The reason they thought it had a racist base was because of this:

little-black-sambo-golden-book.jpg
images

The Sambo's rastaurant merely put a "benign little white kid" into their artwork so that people wouldn't call it "racist". I remember that for my parents (born in the 1910's and 20's), going from calling them "colored people" to "black" (the preferred 1970's term) was a "huge leap" in racial sensitivity

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Today, it is known as "Dennys". Notice the shape of the sign. In many of the older locations, that Dennys sign used to say "Sambos".

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Today, it is known as "Dennys". Notice the shape of the sign. In many of the older locations, that Dennys sign used to say "Sambos".

There is still one open in Santa Barbara....line out the door most Weekends.

4353802947_b4a3ac286a.jpg

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

I remember the athletic boycott in the 80's, and I remember Zola Budd taking-on British citizenship so that she could have Mary Decker scream at her in 1984 in L.A. I remember that in 1983 or so, the Nelson Mandela issue became "mainstream" in the USA. I really have no knowledge or memory of the world climate that was happening in the 1970's regarding South Africa. If I'm an apologist, it's merely because I had no knowledge of (or opinion about) South Africa in 1975. And it was a LONG time ago. How about you measure their actions SINCE 1975 (and yes, even including McQuaid...sorry RR).

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
The Sambo's in Santa Barbara is the original and the only one left. Although some Sambo's were turned into Denny's when Sambo's folded . Denny's was well established and 30 years old at that time

My lesson in Dennys history. It's been 3 years since I've set foot in one, and I hope to never return (not because of Sambos). I'm just groweded-up.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I remember the athletic boycott in the 80's, and I remember Zola Budd taking-on British citizenship so that she could have Mary Decker scream at her in 1984 in L.A. I remember that in 1983 or so, the Nelson Mandela issue became "mainstream" in the USA. I really have no knowledge or memory of the world climate that was happening in the 1970's regarding South Africa. If I'm an apologist, it's merely because I had no knowledge of (or opinion about) South Africa in 1975. And it was a LONG time ago. How about you measure their actions SINCE 1975 (and yes, even including McQuaid...sorry RR).

Certainly in the US it was not as well know. The ANC and Mandela were affectively portrayed as communists so in the US there was always a bit of confusion.

In Europe, and especially the UK, there was no confusion. It was a major topic. South Africa was excluded from the commonwealth for decades already and the White South African public said that the sporting sanctions were one of the top three negative effects of apartheid. There is no way McQuaid could pretend that he was unaware....which is why he raced under a false name.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Re Pat Mc Fatty and Kelly and South Africa.
Kelly was a very young naive farmers boy boy from rural Ireland and I believe not fully aware of the implications of his discition to go or the justness ( in my view ) of the sporting boycott. Doesnt make it right but does mitigate.
Mc Givemethebrownevelope on the other hand was university educated ( I belive in politics) and absalutly fully aware.
All that said the fact that hes been touted as future IOC top trough feeder and the collosal hypocrisy of the IOC on so many accounts its reasonable to dismiss the whole sorry charade as yet another example of the disgusting society the unfettered elite run.
Ya know what.."They" dont give a monkeys what we think.

TRENDING THREADS