• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Armstrong be indicted?

Will Armstrong be indicted?

• Yes, but no idea when.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
judging from the diverse swarm of legal aid LA has secured, with only the odd snippet of legal chat from his lawyers, I'd say that they are suirreled away preparing for the indictment more than an attempt to respond to accusations of his various involvements.. I'd like to say that he'll be raising his right hand before the end of 2010, but as several other members have suggested the length of time it took to convict Marion Jones and others suggest perhaps mid 2011. The Feds do not like to lose, so preparation will be crucial..

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Given that it's Lance Armstrong were talking about, I suspect prosecutors won't pursue an indictment unless they feel their case is pretty much airtight.

Having said that, I'd also say the chances of him not being indicted are slim to none. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it didn't happen until next year.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
S2Sturges said:
judging from the diverse swarm of legal aid LA has secured

You ain't seen nothin yet. Dream Team revisited, here we come. That's my guess, anyway. Get me Johnny Cochran, stat! Oh, wait . . . .

[snip] I'd say that they are suirreled away preparing for the indictment more than an attempt to respond to accusations of his various involvements. [snip]

I agree with this. Indictments are coming. They'd be stupid not to prepare for them.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Note we still aren't 100% sure what the investigation is about. We all assume I think it will be fraud, and not the pigeonholed charge of using USPS $ to buy PED's.

If it is fraud I think a definite yes. If the other, then doubtful.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Personally I don’t think that he will be indicted.
Which is not to say that I think he shouldn’t be.

As I have said on this forum a few times, for me the real propagators of the omerta have been the DS’s, team doctors and team helpers that have helped shelter and promote questionable, dangerous and illegal practices and that it is these people that need to be cleared out, investigated and punished.
LA is just seen as the most high profile poster-boy of a sad past.

For any movement, sport, organisation etc.. to move forward, it is often necessary to clear the mistakes of the past, and shoe-horning one high profile person is not enough.

Intothe12

The one factor that could speed up the case is the statute of limitations of some of the charges. Other than that, it could take years for indictments to come down.

One thing I've begun to wonder about is whether Novitzky always had LA in his sights. When the investigation began, late last year, it was about Ball/Rock, not LA. But did Novitzky really want to spend years pursuing some guy and his team that no one other than hard-core racing fans had ever heard of? Is it possible that he took on the investigation at least hoping that it might eventually lead him to LA?

In that scenario, Floyd's emails were good news/bad news. They gave him the rationale to make LA an official target, and provided a whole raft of new leads. But Floyd's confession also meant Novitzky could no longer pursue LA under the radar, a situation in which, had nothing come up, no one might have known that it was even a possibility. Now, failure is not an option for him.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
He will be indicted.
I believe it will be before the end of 2010, which seems very unrealistic...and I know it is, but I got my instincts :) (not that my instincts are the best on earth)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
@ Von Brinkmann, he needs to be indicted either late this year or early next year, otherwise some of the Statute of Limitations are up and he can't be indicted at all for certain, or perhaps all of the crimes which he might have done.

Anyway, as all the sources seem to indicate that the person of LA is a person of interest and a likely target of the current GJ proceedings, I think the chances of him being indicted are very high. (in some other thread I believe it was said that 99% of the GJ proceedings, or another, very high percentage, result into issueing indictments)

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think he gets indicted. The vast majority of GJ end up indicting the targets. LA hasn't been asked to appear which suggests he is a target.

No idea about the time scale though. These legal proceedings always seem to take 'sofa king' long.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
I think he gets indicted. The vast majority of GJ end up indicting the targets. LA hasn't been asked to appear which suggests he is a target.

No idea about the time scale though. These legal proceedings always seem to take 'sofa king' long.
i'd say his ever expanding star-laden legal team suggests far more compellingly that he's the target.

the day we hear he's been called to testify before the grand jury can mean only one thing - he's cooked - as to me it would signify they've got enough evidence to get him on either perjury or fraud. both beyond a reasonable doubt.

eventual indictment is almost inevitable based on several consideration not the least of which is that novitzky is an absolute bulldog who's experience grew with each successful bite since the balco affair.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
But Floyd's confession also meant Novitzky could no longer pursue LA under the radar, a situation in which, had nothing come up, no one might have known that it was even a possibility. Now, failure is not an option for him.

Not 100% sure that a pro investigator shares the same coruscating personal issues that so many Cycling News forum members have with LA.

He might just view this as a professional investigation he's going to do well, into a relatively obscure niche sport, and he might not fear a finding that doesn't destroy LA - as long as he and his superiors felt the investigation was run thoroughly and got a legally correct 'answer' that won't leave egg on their faces later on.

yourwelcome said:
Not 100% sure that a pro investigator shares the same coruscating personal issues that so many Cycling News forum members have with LA.

He might just view this as a professional investigation he's going to do well, into a relatively obscure niche sport, and he might not fear a finding that doesn't destroy LA - as long as he and his superiors felt the investigation was run thoroughly and got a legally correct 'answer' that won't leave egg on their faces later on.

Hope not only rides again, but also springs eternal.:D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The current state of events has Lance free of any subpoenas. That is not good news for him and he needs to be prepared for indictment. Where USADA is headed would be confirmed by the other indicted parties, and Lance should have company. While they might not be involved early I think anyone that knows Thom Weisel at USA Cycling should be sweating heavily as well as any affiliated organizations that may have exposure.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
indicted for what? is the real question

For taking drugs? no because the feds dont care about the individual

for organized trafficking of illegal or unapproved drugs? maybe

we are only speculating wtf the feds are building

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
This would be my line, I do not want to end up like Lyle Azevedo nor Marc de Meyer. I do what I do to protect myself in a tough sport, I am clean.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If LA fully cooperates with FDA, and does not hold anything back then there is a significant chance he will not be indicted.

Having said that LA will hold significant facts back and there is a good chance he will do a "M Jones".

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Given that it's Lance Armstrong were talking about, I suspect prosecutors won't pursue an indictment unless they feel their case is pretty much airtight.

Having said that, I'd also say the chances of him not being indicted are slim to none. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it didn't happen until next year.

I reckon you are right on the money maxiton. Lots of info to sort out. Could be any time in 2011

cheers dallas

TRENDING THREADS