• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

will Barry be the first to stand up and be counted?

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
a friend raised a good point: wouldn't it be good if Barry 'fessed up to everything...that would definitely get things rolling.

Likely to happen?

For my part, general good opinion of Dave Brailsford and the SKY team, and after DB's comments about "procedure" with regards to MB's involvement - if anyone's going to have to call it quits on the Omerta and give the game away, it's probably him right?

And if MB comes out stating it's all a lie, with DB's backing, can we believe him?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
petesam said:
a friend raised a good point: wouldn't it be good if Barry 'fessed up to everything...that would definitely get things rolling.

Likely to happen?

For my part, general good opinion of Dave Brailsford and the SKY team, and after DB's comments about "procedure" with regards to MB's involvement - if anyone's going to give the game away and call it quits on the Omerta, it's probably him right?

And if he's made a statement saying it's all a lie, can we believe him?

He made a statement and said the part about him was a lie. He also said for the last few years he had rode on clean teams....no word if the teams prior to that were clean

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
If anyone steps up I think it might be from somewhere we didn't really see it coming.

IF the statement is true and IF LA's statement about he knowing it was coming for some time is true, then I would assume that the key players, the inner circle, already talked it through. That they already have their stories straight.

From reading Brailsfords statements, he basically says that he'll speak to Barry and if there is any substance to the allegations take action.

Reading between the lines it says 'if you confess, you're sacked'

Anyone else read the same into it?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
word on the street is that someone named will roll once he gets his amnesty deal worked out with the proper authorities. Someone who's been racing dirty for years and has been supposedly racing clean for the last couple of years. Time will tell.

At this point, it's going to take 1 Jerome Chiotti to bring down the house of cards.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Full disclosure: I have met Michael, and I have met his family. I am not unbiased.

It is unfortunate that Michael has been caught up in this mess. He has always been one of the greatest ambassadors for the sport.

I dont' for a second believe that Michael has ever doped. In the absence of evidence - and don't for a second think that there is any evidence, merely the frothy rantings of a deeply unhappy and disgraced man - we rely on character. Simply, Michael's character is fundamentally different from that of someone who cheats. Michael has never needed to cheat. He has never needed to cycle for money, for fame, for glory or simply to win. He is the antithesis of that rider. Michael cycles because he loves the purity of the sport.

It's perhaps tempting to point out the exposure he's gained through his writings, and suggest that it's indicative of someone who craves the spotlight. But it is really just a side-effect of Michael's wish to express his passion, and to share it with others.

It's all just a little bit sad.

131313 said:
word on the street is that someone named will roll once he gets his amnesty deal worked out with the proper authorities. Someone who's been racing dirty for years and has been supposedly racing clean for the last couple of years. Time will tell.

At this point, it's going to take 1 Jerome Chiotti to bring down the house of cards.

Give us a hint! :D

This could be the best thing to happen to cycling for a long time. Get it all out in the open, get in some new blood at the UCI and get cycling cleaner.

I for one will be a happy man when Lances cronies are a long and distant memory.

Fingers crossed that Landis allegations are corroborated.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
This could be the best thing to happen to cycling for a long time. Get it all out in the open, get in some new blood at the UCI and get cycling cleaner.

I for one will be a happy man when Lances cronies are a long and distant memory.

Fingers crossed that Landis allegations are corroborated.

ho ho ho ;)

dutchmegently said:
Full disclosure: I have met Michael, and I have met his family. I am not unbiased.

It is unfortunate that Michael has been caught up in this mess. He has always been one of the greatest ambassadors for the sport.

I dont' for a second believe that Michael has ever doped. In the absence of evidence - and don't for a second think that there is any evidence, merely the frothy rantings of a deeply unhappy and disgraced man - we rely on character. Simply, Michael's character is fundamentally different from that of someone who cheats. Michael has never needed to cheat. He has never needed to cycle for money, for fame, for glory or simply to win. He is the antithesis of that rider. Michael cycles because he loves the purity of the sport.

It's perhaps tempting to point out the exposure he's gained through his writings, and suggest that it's indicative of someone who craves the spotlight. But it is really just a side-effect of Michael's wish to express his passion, and to share it with others.

It's all just a little bit sad.

I was following you right up to the "frothy rantings of a deeply unhappy and disgraced man" part.

I always thought one reason Barry didn't ride the tour might be because he wouldn't get with the program. Now that doesn't look likely.

Can someone be a nice guy, passionate about the sport and a doper? Unfortunately Floyd gives us some clues about that (and he isn't the first one) - it doesn't seem wrong at the time when others who are certainly also passionate about the sport are doing the same thing.

Floyd's revelations are so coherent (one man's "rantings" are another man's rational statements) so far that I have trouble believing little bits aren't true.

A

Anonymous

Is micheal clean now, i think so. Was he clean at postal, i would be an idiot to put money on it.

I think the question that should be put to riders who rode with lance but arent in the inner circle so to speak is not "have you doped", but "were you aware that there was doping at us postal"

riders will always try to defend themselves, but if the questions are about others, they may be more likely to reveal the truth even inadvertantly.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
petesam said:
general good opinion of Dave Brailsford and the SKY team

Good Dave makes it all sound like he will break into Barry's house and interrogate the guy, perhaps torture him for a confession. I understand his policy, and personally I think it's a good one. But to exlcude anyone that is mentioned by a lying half-wit AKA Flandis, goes a bit to far don't you think?:confused:

A

Anonymous

Personally, as a fan of the team, I think Barry should be pulled now and given a break while it becomes clear where this investigation is going.

What happens over the next weeks or months could damage the sport, although ultimately make the sport better, but where sky place their faith over the coming months is also very important. For the good of the team, and to portray a positive image, and also to give michael time to escape the media pressure and spend some time with his family, i think he should be quietly placed non-active with sky stressing it is for the good of his team and not an assumption of guilt.

If it is discovered Barry did dope, having stated to the press that he didnt, it would damage the new team possibly irretrevably.

Dave Brailsfords words were positive, and more than any other DS involved directly or indirectly has come out with, but I think on this occasion he needs to go further for the good of the rider and the team.

TeamSkyFans said:
Personally, as a fan of the team, I think Barry should be pulled now and given a break while it becomes clear where this investigation is going.

What happens over the next weeks or months could damage the sport, although ultimately make the sport better, but where sky place their faith over the coming months is also very important. For the good of the team, and to portray a positive image, and also to give michael time to escape the media pressure and spend some time with his family, i think he should be quietly placed non-active with sky stressing it is for the good of his team and not an assumption of guilt.

If it is discovered Barry did dope, having stated to the press that he didnt, it would damage the new team possibly irretrevably.

Dave Brailsfords words were positive, and more than any other DS involved directly or indirectly has come out with, but I think on this occasion he needs to go further for the good of the rider and the team.

I don't think it damages the team at all. Pretending that riders who have been in the sport for years and years have never doped is what damages the team. Brailsford should have the cojones to stand up and say the sport was dirty several years ago but this team is clean, and we have given riders the opportunity to race in an environment where they are not forced to dope to keep their jobs.

If Barry was doping on Postal it does not say anything about what he is doing on Sky.

Covering up the sport's dirty past damages the team's credibility.

If Barry doped at USPS but has been clean since then, it is in his interest to be open and honest to his team. Dave B should not sack him if he does admit to doping in the past, fear of unemployment is what keeps people doping and lying.

I'm a bit sceptical about Dave B given that the policy of never hiring anyone with a history of doping or scandal was broken as soon as they hired Sunderland and Yates.

Sky can be the good guys here or can maintain the omerta. What do you think they'll do?

bobbins said:
If Barry doped at USPS but has been clean since then, it is in his interest to be open and honest to his team. Dave B should not sack him if he does admit to doping in the past, fear of unemployment is what keeps people doping and lying.

I'm a bit sceptical about Dave B given that the policy of never hiring anyone with a history of doping or scandal was broken as soon as they hired Sunderland and Yates.

Sky can be the good guys here or can maintain the omerta. What do you think they'll do?

They will force Barry to take the ridiculous position that he never saw any doping, never heard about doping, never even knew anyone who knew a rider who dopes. He was deaf, dumb, and blind his entire career before he was hired by Sky.

TRENDING THREADS