• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will BMC get starts in the big races in 2010?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
BMC have a some serious talent for 2010 with George Hincapie, Marcus Burghardt, Alessandro Ballan and Karsten Kroon but will they get starts in the big one day classics & will they get starts in any of the Grand Tours. They are only ranked 33rd in the current world rankings. Will the big names on the roster be enough?

Yes, they will get invites to alot of the ASO events because they have friends in high places. They got invitations to alot of races this year without having any real top names so they won't get less invites when they now do have big names.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice if they got a Tour invite, I reckon they would do quite well. Failing that, maybe they can try and get a spot at the Giro or Vuelta.

craig1985 said:
It would be nice if they got a Tour invite, I reckon they would do quite well. Failing that, maybe they can try and get a spot at the Giro or Vuelta.

They would possibly have had a shot but given the competition for spots in the Tour I think it will be very difficult for them. If we assume that all or at least most PT teams get invited there is only 2-5 spots left. Since two french teams have lost their PT places those teams would be prime candidates to get some of those spots. Then there the other top non-PT teams like Cervélo (and perhaps Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone) that will also get invited. Then there is Vacansoleil who have Romain and Brice Feillu in the roster which will make it likely that they will get an invite. Skil-Shimano will also be interested in getting another invite. The only team out of those that BMC would realistically be able to compete with is Skil-Shimano so in order for BMC to get invited then it would mean that 1-2 PT teams don't get invited as well as there being over 20 teams in the Tour. There is a slight chance but I wouldn't bet much on it.

The had several rides in big PT races, this season. Swiss races being a shoe in.
If thet got into races like the T of S, without big names, I'm sure they will be more regularly seen in top Euro events, next season.
A slot at the Giro is possible.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
The had several rides in big PT races, this season. Swiss races being a shoe in. If they got into races like the T of S, without big names, I'm sure they will be more regularly seen in top Euro events, next season.A slot at the Giro is possible.

I honestly couldn't care where they race. But a shot at the Giro is a good bet. LPR, Aqua Sepone and Vancansoleil will all race again at either the Giro or the Vuelta, maybe both. I think the Tour will be the same as this year with the Shack replacing Agritubel who are gone. Fuji won't get an invite to the Tour. Cervelo will race all three. So BMC can hope at best for a spot at the Giro or maybe the Vuelta (not likely). Maybe they'll prefer the ToC on American soil instead of the Giro?

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Northern Classics - Definitely.
Tour - 50/50. They could send a very strong stage hunting squad.

Those are probably the big two they care about, I imagine they will get into at least 1 GT and a whole bunch of other stage races and certainly all the one day races they will want.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
They would possibly have had a shot but given the competition for spots in the Tour I think it will be very difficult for them. If we assume that all or at least most PT teams get invited there is only 2-5 spots left. Since two french teams have lost their PT places those teams would be prime candidates to get some of those spots. Then there the other top non-PT teams like Cervélo (and perhaps Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone) that will also get invited. Then there is Vacansoleil who have Romain and Brice Feillu in the roster which will make it likely that they will get an invite. Skil-Shimano will also be interested in getting another invite. The only team out of those that BMC would realistically be able to compete with is Skil-Shimano so in order for BMC to get invited then it would mean that 1-2 PT teams don't get invited as well as there being over 20 teams in the Tour. There is a slight chance but I wouldn't bet much on it.
2010 TDF, let's see: from the PT teams I think the latest incarnation of Fuji-Servetto will not be invited nor should Milram (let's face it, they suck). I believe that Astana's participation is also in peril (after all, Vino is back!) but if they hold on to Contador maybe the'll be there. The Retirement Shack is a shoe in (Lance brings big bucks) as is Sky.
So, 3 out, 2 in. I think both BBox and Cofidis will be invited, and also Vacansoleil. That leaves 2 spots open. One is for Cervelo, and the other is a toss out between Skil and BMC. I would personally like to see Ceramica Flamina get invited, having Ricco back isn't as bad as having for instance teams with Valverde or AC winning Grand Tours.

Fourier said:
2010 TDF, let's see: from the PT teams I think the latest incarnation of Fuji-Servetto will not be invited nor should Milram (let's face it, they suck). I believe that Astana's participation is also in peril (after all, Vino is back!) but if they hold on to Contador maybe the'll be there. The Retirement Shack is a shoe in (Lance brings big bucks) as is Sky.
So, 3 out, 2 in. I think both BBox and Cofidis will be invited, and also Vacansoleil. That leaves 2 spots open. One is for Cervelo, and the other is a toss out between Skil and BMC. I would personally like to see Ceramica Flamina get invited, having Ricco back isn't as bad as having for instance teams with Valverde or AC winning Grand Tours.

So Flamini in (with returned doper Ricco), but Astana out (with returned doper Vino)?

Fourier said:

There are probably 18 PT teams if Astana and Fuji are still around which is more and more likely. The only team that I think won't get invited is Footon-Servetto so that leaves 17 teams. Astana will get an invite because if they have a PT license they will have Contador and Contador has informally been guaranteed a spot no matter what team he's on. I don't see how they can possibly not invite Milram eventhough I agree that they have been pretty bad it's still the only reasons that ASO has refused some of the top category teams to start has been because of doping and not because of poor performance.

So in addition to those 17 teams we have BBox, Cofidis and Cervélo that are pretty much guaranteed. That brings us to 20. If we add Vacansoleil then that's 21. Then there is Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone who have been guaranteed spots in the PT but that does not include Tour but they would probably be at least in consideration. I personally think their chances are slim however. Then there is probably Skil and BMC fighting for a 22nd spot if there is even a 22nd spot. The Tour usually only takes 20 teams but sometimes there are exceptions.

So BMC needs to 1) beat Skil. 2) Hope there are 22 teams invited and not just 20 3) Hope Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone don't get invited 4) Hope Astana buckles 5) hope some other PT team doesn't get invited.

All in all that makes their chances very slim in my opinion. I'm not saying it's impossible but just very unlikely. Who knows, perhaps ASO likes BMC better than Vacansoleil even?

ingsve said:
There are probably 18 PT teams if Astana and Fuji are still around which is more and more likely. The only team that I think won't get invited is Footon-Servetto so that leaves 17 teams. Astana will get an invite because if they have a PT license they will have Contador and Contador has informally been guaranteed a spot no matter what team he's on. I don't see how they can possibly not invite Milram eventhough I agree that they have been pretty bad it's still the only reasons that ASO has refused some of the top category teams to start has been because of doping and not because of poor performance.

So in addition to those 17 teams we have BBox, Cofidis and Cervélo that are pretty much guaranteed. That brings us to 20. If we add Vacansoleil then that's 21. Then there is Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone who have been guaranteed spots in the PT but that does not include Tour but they would probably be at least in consideration. I personally think their chances are slim however. Then there is probably Skil and BMC fighting for a 22nd spot if there is even a 22nd spot. The Tour usually only takes 20 teams but sometimes there are exceptions.

So BMC needs to 1) beat Skil. 2) Hope there are 22 teams invited and not just 20 3) Hope Diquigiovanni and Aqua e Sapone don't get invited 4) Hope Astana buckles 5) hope some other PT team doesn't get invited.

All in all that makes their chances very slim in my opinion. I'm not saying it's impossible but just very unlikely. Who knows, perhaps ASO likes BMC better than Vacansoleil even?

One major problem. BMC don't bring any French riders to the table. Vaconsoleil made a very good move in getting the Feillu bros. Having those two potentially at the Tour start, especially on an agressive stage hunting team will be a big factor. If Skil didn't have the capacity to field a squad that was half French i doubt they would've gotten the nod this year.

Moondance said:
One major problem. BMC don't bring any French riders to the table. Vaconsoleil made a very good move in getting the Feillu bros. Having those two potentially at the Tour start, especially on an agressive stage hunting team will be a big factor. If Skil didn't have the capacity to field a squad that was half French i doubt they would've gotten the nod this year.

Yes, that's why I've consistently placed Vaconsoleil ahead of BMC in the probability of getting invites. That last part was only a caveat that we can't really know for sure what goes on in the mind of the people at ASO.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Yes, that's why I've consistently placed Vaconsoleil ahead of BMC in the probability of getting invites. That last part was only a caveat that we can't really know for sure what goes on in the mind of the people at ASO.
I highly doubt that Hincapie would have signed with them if he didn't think that at a minimum they would get an invite to P-R. He wants that one bad. I think that having him on the team will give BMC a good shot at a wildcard TdF invite. Not a great shot, mind you, but a good one.

ingsve said:

I am looking forward to seeing BMC compete next year and I dont think they will have problems getting into races. Heck, I was surprised at some of the races they got into this year, Dauphine Libere in front of Cervelo for example. They are nailed on for some of the classics Paris-Roubaix especially. They definitely had some pull with Lelangue and his ASO connections.

As for the Tour, I would like to see them there and I can see it happening. I really cannot see ASO inviting either Aqua e Sapone or Diquigiovanni and frankly I wouldnt want to see them at the Tour. Their goal is the Giro. I dont think Skil-Shimano will be invited back either, they didnt do enough last Tour and are losing some of their French riders, if I am not mistaken including Jonathin Hivert who was the main (French)man. I can see Vacansoleil making the Tour however. It will be tough fitting all the teams in.

There is one other wildcard people are missing out on, French team Bessons Sojasun who are moving up to the same level as Boguyes/Cofidis next year. Jimmy Casper is still a decent sprinter and they will probably sign a few more decent French riders so dont discount them.

A

Anonymous

classics yes, gt's no, althought the giro may invite them to see what they do... interesting decision for bmc, giro or toc....

The_Z_man said:
I highly doubt that Hincapie would have signed with them if he didn't think that at a minimum they would get an invite to P-R. He wants that one bad. I think that having him on the team will give BMC a good shot at a wildcard TdF invite. Not a great shot, mind you, but a good one.

Of course they will get invited to PR. The classics is a totally diffrent situation than the GTs. Since we're talking about one day races there isn't the same logistical problems with having many teams so P-R oftyen has 24-25 teams on the start. This is further helped by there only being 8 riders per team.

ingsve said:
Well, not in the Pro Tour per se but they have been guaranteed invites to all the PT races because of their high ranking this year in the Pro Continental ranking along with Cervélo. They will still be pro continental teams.

Ditto the Grand Tours... the top ranked teams get invites irrespective of licence status. Hence Cervelo will be in but Fuji won't be necessarily, even though they are a PT licensed team. Although I don't see BMC being there unless they take the maximum 22 teams.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
So Flamini in (with returned doper Ricco), but Astana out (with returned doper Vino)?
Without landing in "The Clinic" what I meant is that it would be really interesting if ASO went really Wild with their Wild Card choices.