• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Contador Be Juiced Up Again Upon His Return

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Contador Be Juiced Up Again Upon His Return

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Enough, you are trolling and baiting EnacheV. Everyone already assumes that Contador is a doper, and there are plenty of people that dislike him for this. You are trying to make it look like the clinic as a whole are just Sky haters because we don't discuss other riders like Contador in the same manner we discuss Sky and their riders. When in fact, as has been pointed out many many times, Contador doesn't get treated the same and discussed the same as Sky because everyone already assumes he is doping and no one is saying the opposite. Any further posts continuing this will be deleted and this will be your only warning.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Enough, you are trolling and baiting EnacheV. Everyone already assumes that Contador is a doper, and there are plenty of people that dislike him for this. You are trying to make it look like the clinic as a whole are just Sky haters because we don't discuss other riders like Contador in the same manner we discuss Sky and their riders. When in fact, as has been pointed out many many times, Contador doesn't get treated the same and discussed the same as Sky because everyone already assumes he is doping and no one is saying the opposite. Any further posts continuing this will be deleted and this will be your only warning.

dude

you don't close a discussion because you are a small gang think something.

if i want to vent rage because a doper isn't removed i can do it whenever i please

"Everyone already assumes" - how do you know that ? are you psychic?

In fact, your entire post is hilarious. You "know" all about everyone. What about get out and let people discuss the most succesfull cyclist since Indurain?

Or why you don;t close the thread if you already decided that there is nothing to talk about.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Why do you keep calling him the most successful cyclist of the last X years or since rider X ?

Because he has the most GT wins since X ? isn't it obvious ?

But why do you keep posting here? Afrank said everyone agrees and this thread is closed.

HSNHSN said:
He probably does, but he doesn't keep shouting this, with everyone in the team doing the same thing. If that would be the case, there'd be far more focus on it. It's also a matter of scale. As long as everyone's of the same opinion, the rage is against the system and/or other dopers, not against the specific rider. If people would nonsensically attempt to defend AC, the rage would become visible.

Not being able to see rage, doesn't mean it's not there.

I like you.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
"My personal opinion for which I am prepared to take some flak is that AC is the best GT cyclist in the world clean." March 18,, 2014

I respect your opinion.

But my opinion is that Contador is a doper and shouldn't have been allowed back after being caught. That's nothing against Contador I just so happen to believe that anyone caught doping should be banned for life.

BYOP88 said:
I respect your opinion.

But my opinion is that Contador is a doper and shouldn't have been allowed back after being caught. That's nothing against Contador I just so happen to believe that anyone caught doping should be banned for life.

Well, having a black and white attitude about doping, belies the fact that in some cases there are extenuating circumstances. I believe there are cases where it is highly questionable a drug had any performance enhancing effect. And that in the end is what doping is all about - proof of performance enhancement in the particular circumstance.

As much as I detest doping, I detest a system where there is no due process.

In 2010, Contador tested for 50 picograms of clen or 50 trillionths of a gram. Every trained pharmacologist in the world (not paid off by the Clinic cynics) would agree there is no way this amount could have had any performance enhancing effect for AC in the 2010 TDF.

In spite of this CAS imposed a strict liability standard on AC. Fair. No, because today they have a minimum level standard for clen.

While there are ton of suspicions and Bruyneel may have some inside information that to date has not come out, there is no other credible evidence of AC doping in his career. Bruyneel has major credibility problems. Forget Puerto. The evidence there is all circumstantial and unreliable. Forget the plasticizer argument because the test for that in 2010 was not an approved test. The problem with circumstantial evidence is that people can and very frequently do, draw the wrong inference.

Everyone, especially the Clinic cynics, simply assumes he is a doper. Why? Because among other reasons he is Spanish. There is not a rider who has won a GT in the last 30 years except perhaps Sastre, who the Clinicians assume, on no credible evidence, is a doper. This is why the Clinic has no credibility when it comes to doping in spite of the righteous indignation of those very same cynics. (Wait for the outcry on that one!)

What everyone overlooks is that AC is damn good. Now, if I am wrong, I will humbly eat crow.

RobbieCanuck said:
Well, having a black and white attitude about doping, belies the fact that in some cases there are extenuating circumstances. I believe there are cases where it is highly questionable a drug had any performance enhancing effect. And that in the end is what doping is all about - proof of performance enhancement in the particular circumstance.

As much as I detest doping, I detest a system where there is no due process.

In 2010, Contador tested for 50 picograms of clen or 50 trillionths of a gram. Every trained pharmacologist in the world (not paid off by the Clinic cynics) would agree there is no way this amount could have had any performance enhancing effect for AC in the 2010 TDF.

We have been over this endless times. Just because the amount detected is not at a PE level does not mean that it might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed. Even if the amount consumed was not PE, that still is not an excuse. It's like saying someone who attempts murder and fails shouldn't be punished because he didn't actually harm anyone. As a lawyer--and I appreciate the contributions you have made here in that area--you ought to be aware of that.

In spite of this CAS imposed a strict liability standard on AC. Fair. No, because today they have a minimum level standard for clen.

They do? Where did you hear this? Last I heard, WADA considered having a minimum level, but rejected the idea. And in any case, again, as a lawyer, you are surely aware that individuals are sanctioned according to the rules in force at the time of the transgression, and don't benefit from rule changes that might be made later.

Forget the plasticizer argument because the test for that in 2010 was not an approved test. The problem with circumstantial evidence is that people can and very frequently do, draw the wrong inference.

That's like saying forget Armstrong's EPO-containing samples. Just because evidence isn't santionable doesn't mean it can't be a very strong indication of doping. The DEHP test was not circumstantial evidence. It was prima facie evidence. Again, as a lawyer, you ought to appreciate the difference between evidence that is allowed and evidence that is circumstantial. The fact that evidence may not be allowed is quite independent of the actual strength of that evidence. A cop might witness a drug stash in someone's home, but if he was inside that home illegally, the evidence would probably be disallowed.

Everyone, especially the Clinic cynics, simply assumes he is a doper. Why? Because among other reasons he is Spanish.

That is the least of the reasons.

What everyone overlooks is that AC is damn good. Now, if I am wrong, I will humbly eat crow.

I think it's fair to say that most of us in the Clinic agree that Bert is indeed very good. That's one reason why there has been so much suspicion vs. Froome. We don't find it credible that Froome clean is better than Contador clean, let alone better than Contador on anything.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
MI, you posted before I could.

This "he didn't have enough clen in him to do any good = no sanction" card has been played over and over again, with your easy rebuttal. Don't worry, I am sure it will come up again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am still in the corner of having a threshold, though, for those cases where it is accidentally ingested. I know you have gone over the math showing his level could not have come from that, but still......

Merckx index said:
We have been over this endless times. Just because the amount detected is not at a PE level does not mean that it might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed. Even if the amount consumed was not PE, that still is not an excuse. It's like saying someone who attempts murder and fails shouldn't be punished because he didn't actually harm anyone. As a lawyer--and I appreciate the contributions you have made here in that area--you ought to be aware of that.

They do? Where did you hear this? Last I heard, WADA considered having a minimum level, but rejected the idea. And in any case, again, as a lawyer, you are surely aware that individuals are sanctioned according to the rules in force at the time of the transgression, and don't benefit from rule changes that might be made later.

That's like saying forget Armstrong's EPO-containing samples. Just because evidence isn't santionable doesn't mean it can't be a very strong indication of doping. The DEHP test was not circumstantial evidence. It was prima facie evidence. Again, as a lawyer, you ought to appreciate the difference between evidence that is allowed and evidence that is circumstantial. The fact that evidence may not be allowed is quite independent of the actual strength of that evidence. A cop might witness a drug stash in someone's home, but if he was inside that home illegally, the evidence would probably be disallowed.

That is the least of the reasons.

I think it's fair to say that most of us in the Clinic agree that Bert is indeed very good. That's one reason why there has been so much suspicion vs. Froome. We don't find it credible that Froome clean is better than Contador clean, let alone better than Contador on anything.

1. Problem #1 - the suggestion "Just because the amount detected is not at a PE level does not mean that it might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed." There is not a fair judicial process in the world that would accept the contention that the clen found in AC, "might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed." "might not have" is a spurious basis on which to base a conviction for doping. The very language is inherent with unreliability and ambiguity.

There was absolutely no evidence in AC's case, other than his statement he probably consumed tainted meat ( I know) as to the amount of clen AC had at a prior period in time. Nada. This is the kind of incorrect inference you are making that I referred to.

2. You are right on this. My apology, I should have checked. I know because of AC's case there was a lot of talk about bringing in a minimum level but the 2014 list shows none. However WADA has brought in and out minimum levels from the list from time to time for various drugs, and there is clear pharmacological evidence that below an amount substantially higher than AC's there is no performance enhancing effect of clen.

The issue is one of fairness. Should there be strict liability for clen? See the thread I started on this subject. As a former prosecutor and defence lawyer, I try to get at the substance of the issue (performance enhancement) rather than the unfairness of the strict liability rules, i.e. lack of due process.

3. In Armstrong's 1999 EPO samples there was no issue about the validity of the test. In Contador's case there is. When the UCI learned of the 1999 results they did nothing to investigate. In AC's case they initiated an appeal to the CAS in conjunction with WADA, but the DEHP test results were not introduced as evidence so it was a non-issue. Keep in mind plasticizers get into the blood from a ton of other sources i.e. water bottles.

The DEHP test was circumstantial because the results could not link it to a blood bag as opposed to another source of plasticizer. So it is hardly prima facie evidence as proof of the truth of the matter. Everyone in the Clinic simply assumes it was from a blood bag because that is the cognitive bias that 99% of the Clinicians bring to the table.

Circumstantial evidence is just as admissible and probative as direct evidence (if it is relevant) but not in AC's case.

Your example of the drug stash makes sense but you come from a US perspective. In the UK and the Commonwealth countries the fact a police officer was illegally in a premise does not (sorry for this) ipso facto , make it inadmissible. It may but it is not a slam dunk as in the US.

4. Explain why in the Clinic there is a thread "Can any riders based in Spain be clean" if there is not a huge cultural bias in the Clinic towards Spaniards. I have yet to hear other reasons why people think AC doped.

5. I agree that Contador clean is better than Froome clean. I like Contador so I hope he is clean.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
This "he didn't have enough clen in him to do any good = no sanction" card has been played over and over again, with your easy rebuttal. Don't worry, I am sure it will come up again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Still bitter he beat Monkey mouth? :cool:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
RobbieCanuck said:
1. Problem #1 - the suggestion "Just because the amount detected is not at a PE level does not mean that it might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed." There is not a fair judicial process in the world that would accept the contention that the clen found in AC, "might not have been at this level at the time it was actually consumed." "might not have" is a spurious basis on which to base a conviction for doping. The very language is inherent with unreliability and ambiguity.

What exactly is the PE benefit of Clenbuterol?

I would contend that IC, it would be pointless. Period. Using it in training? Definitely. Lose weight, maintain muscle mass, lean up. All good.

In the middle of a GT? Worthless at best.

PE is not the only reason doping is banned. It's also because these drugs are unsafe.

eg: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/die...ds-to-severe-side-effects-20140303-3406f.html

RobbieCanuck said:

Except that this is the WADA rule, which every rider agrees to. I understand that as a lawyer, you are frustrated by the different standards between Western legal systems and the WADA code. This was at the heart of Armstrong's arguments against WADA, specifically, the concept of due process. But these differences are based on the fact that everyone who is a citizen of a country has to submit to that country's legal code, whereas athletes make the choice to join a profession and accept that profession's code. If they don't like it, they can choose not to join that profession, or they can join and through a union fight anti-doping regulations, as most pro sports in the U.S. have done.

There was absolutely no evidence in AC's case, other than his statement he probably consumed tainted meat ( I know) as to the amount of clen AC had at a prior period in time. Nada. This is the kind of incorrect inference you are making that I referred to.

I didn't make an incorrect inference. I said that because it was possible, WADA treats all levels as the same.

3. In Armstrong's 1999 EPO samples there was no issue about the validity of the test.

Are you serious? Did you read the Vrijman report? There was tremendous controversy. Not among those of us in the Clinic, to be sure, but among the people who mattered, yes. Not over the validity of the test in general, but certainly over the validity of the results on stored frozen samples.

In Contador's case there is. When the UCI learned of the 1999 results they did nothing to investigate. In AC's case they initiated an appeal to the CAS in conjunction with WADA, but the DEHP test results were not introduced as evidence so it was a non-issue. Keep in mind plasticizers get into the blood from a ton of other sources i.e. water bottles.

The DEHP test was circumstantial because the results could not link it to a blood bag as opposed to another source of plasticizer. So it is hardly prima facie evidence as proof of the truth of the matter. Everyone in the Clinic simply assumes it was from a blood bag because that is the cognitive bias that 99% of the Clinicians bring to the table.

Dozens of studies, some of which I discussed here at the time, show that levels of DEHP reported for Contador were many times higher than what the population at large exhibits from water bottles and many other sources. Not even close. There was a study published, widely discussed here in the Clinic at the time, that compared the levels of DEHP following transfusion with those in non-transfused subjects, which was used to justify a test.

You're correct of course that the test was never approved and could not be used as a standalone indicator of doping. But WADA's head said it could be used as supplementary evidence. Not because it was circumstantial but because it hadn't been officially approved. Again, the comparison with the EPO samples is salient. Regardless of how reliable the EPO test was, those samples were always going to be disallowed because there were no A samples, and because there was no rule in effect at the time allowing sanction based on testing of stored samples.

Your example of the drug stash makes sense but you come from a US perspective. In the UK and the Commonwealth countries the fact a police officer was illegally in a premise does not (sorry for this) ipso facto , make it inadmissible. It may but it is not a slam dunk as in the US.

Irrelevant. That I may not have picked the best example does not mean that the principle doesn't hold. Another example in the U.S. is provided by reading someone his Miranda rights. If you don't do that, any incriminating statements made may be disallowed. The point is that the most slam dunk evidence can be thrown out on a technicality.

Or how about the SCA case (which you have commented on here, and again, I appreciate your comments on it)? No question that Armstrong doped, he confessed on national TV. But is it certain that SCA will get all their money back? Well, we'll see, but the point is, we can distinguish between the strength of the evidence (nothing stronger than a confession) and the probability of getting off on a technicality (Armstrong arguing that the agreement between SCA and him can't be revisited). If Armstrong manages to get off without paying everything back, it won't be a reflection of the weakness of the evidence against him, but of a legal situation that disallowed or in effect discounted the use of that evidence.

4. Explain why in the Clinic there is a thread "Can any riders based in Spain be clean" if there is not a huge cultural bias in the Clinic towards Spaniards. I have yet to hear other reasons why people think AC doped.

Based in Spain does not mean Spaniard. Yes, the authorities there are lax. But it doesn't reflect on Spanish nationals specifically, but on anyone who trains there. And again, that is the least of the argument vs. Bert.

What are the other, more important reasons?

1) multiple associations with dodgy doctors and/or teams (some Spanish, but again, a rider from any country associating with these individuals or teams is regarded as just as suspicious)
2) his times on some climbs
3) his Puerto connections, which go beyond what is in 1) (again, while this happened in Spain, it affected many non-Spanish riders; it's not a matter of nationality but of association)

There are probably other reasons that others here could point out.

RobbieCanuck said:
Forget the plasticizer argument because the test for that in 2010 was not an approved test.

Can you take off you defence lawyer hat and tell me - do you think Contador did or didn't take a blood transfusion on that tour? If you had to honestly assess it on a scale from 0% to 100% likely? Transfusions/EPO is up there with the cheatiest form of cheating we know of for an endurance athlete - nobody cares much about clenbuterol.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
vedrafjord said:
Can you take off you defence lawyer hat and tell me - do you think Contador did or didn't take a blood transfusion on that tour? If you had to honestly assess it on a scale from 0% to 100% likely? Transfusions/EPO is up there with the cheatiest form of cheating we know of for an endurance athlete - nobody cares much about clenbuterol.

As for me, 100%.

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
What exactly is the PE benefit of Clenbuterol?

I would contend that IC, it would be pointless. Period. Using it in training? Definitely. Lose weight, maintain muscle mass,

-of-horse-drug-clenbuterol-leads-to-severe-side-effects-20140303-3406f.html[/url]

I asked this and was told it clears the airways, helps breathing, a bit like an inhaler for asthma. But I would have thought an inhaler more efficient for immediate effect.

Wasn't the thought that AC had been doing some clen in training and, carelessly, it had gone into a blood bag?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Jack (6 ch) said:
I asked this and was told it clears the airways, helps breathing, a bit like an inhaler for asthma. But I would have thought an inhaler more efficient for immediate effect.

Wasn't the thought that AC had been doing some clen in training and, carelessly, it had gone into a blood bag?

Would be my take on what happened.

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
What is more disgusting than an unrepentant doper ?

An arrogant unrepentant doper, which seems the case with Contador of 2014.

In fact the whole Tinkoff-Saxo team is disgusting, with a caught doper few months ago, an arrogant ex doper as DS and a russian tycoon clown as the owner.

JohnDev said:

In fact the whole Tinkoff-Saxo team is disgusting, with a caught doper few months ago, an arrogant ex doper as DS and a russian tycoon clown as the owner.

He might be a doper, but the last thing he is is arrogant

JohnDev said:

But is it any more disgusting than Valverde....or Sky..or pretty much all of Katusha....or how good Yellow Flo(?!?) seems to be going this year?

To say nothing of the (we don't test in) Colombia resurgence?