• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Froome ever win a GT again?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will he?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
1st point:
Time Quintana gained in 3rd week (except tt and paris) on Froome
0s
1m 6s
0s
29s

2nd point:
I compare riders in top form,Im almost hundred per cent sure if Froome would be his 2013v. and Contador 2011v. Nibali would lose.
(with 2014 Nibali in mind)

1)So you take in consideration only the time Quintana won in the 3rd weak,against a guy who already won that Tour at Ax 3 Domaines and still attacked on Mont Ventoux.If this makes you happy:)

2)You can't compare like this,you do it with them racing against each other in the same race,not comparing different years form.If you want to go this way then i have a better one:Wiggo 2012 version would win against Contador 2011 or Froome 2013 or Nibali 2014 or Quintana 2013/2014.It looks just right if we use fantasy over reality.

I think he can win the Tour again.

It's understandable for riders to have a drop in form for a year, or two. Many riders never back up their Tour win the next year with good showings in the GTs. It's natural, rarely in any field are people at the top of their sport for longer than 12 months, the exceptions to this rule are of course the legendary champions.

But, it's quick to write someone off after a bad year in this sport we love.

Happened to Alberto Contador a few years back and commentators suggested he'd never win a GT again.

Cadel Evans was criticised for missing his opportunities in 07 and 08, and many claimed he'd never net his first GT. He won the tour on a team nobody through he could win with 2011.

Bradley Wiggins was criticised for wheeling sucking and getting the ride of his life in 2009. And again for not backing up immediately after joining Sky. He won in 2012.

Many said Basso would never win a GT again after his comeback. Yet he won the Giro 2010.

These are just some examples where commentators have 'written off' riders of either winning again, or never winning in the first place. The great thing about this sport is it's never over until it's over! Anyone can have a bad year, or even a bad few years, and bounce back stronger than ever.

ILovecycling said:
1st point:
Time Quintana gained in 3rd week (except tt and paris) on Froome
0s
1m 6s
0s
29s

2nd point:
I compare riders in top form,Im almost hundred per cent sure if Froome would be his 2013v. and Contador 2011v. Nibali would lose.
(with 2014 Nibali in mind)

:rolleyes:

Time Rui Costa gained on Froome in the 3rd week (except Alpe d huez stage)

2 minutes and something.

Ergo Rui Costa must have been the better climber and Froome was lucky to win the Tour:rolleyes:

And my logic makes more sense because my account isn't dedicated to Rui Costa's glorification.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

2 minutes and something.

Ergo Rui Costa must have been the better climber and Froome was lucky to win the Tour:rolleyes:

And my logic makes more sense because my account isn't dedicated to Rui Costa's glorification.

This right there. Posters who think Quintana outclimbed Froome at the 2013 Tour are simply delusional.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

2 minutes and something.

I compare only 3rd week for obvious reasons, early attacks on ax3 and ventoux as you know.

Last sentence of your post says it all.You are more right because you are not fan of considered rider, oh well ...I always thought you are one of the inteligent posters here, probably a bad moment.Lets pretend it never happened ;)

TRENDING THREADS