• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will McEwen retire?

Yeah he's probably done. It will take (probably) a year to get back to his current fitness level from that injury if it's even possible. Sucks, but he can retire as one of the great sprinters so good on him as the Aussies say.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
According to his twitter that someone else posted on another thread, he has fractured his tibia (two screws) but ligaments are OK. If his ligaments are OK, then he has a chance of coming back. But two bad crashes in a month and 36 years old, it will take courage and more.

A

Anonymous

there is no way.. i cannot see any circumstance in which robbie retires off the bike so to speak..

he will be back one way or another..

From what I've read, both he and Stuey want to compete in the Worlds here in Australia in 2010. Both said they wouldn't want to retire before then, it is a huge event for Australia and for both of them to be there. I double his mind has changed much, but I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :)

Lones1

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Lones1 said:
From what I've read, both he and Stuey want to compete in the Worlds here in Australia in 2010. Both said they wouldn't want to retire before then, it is a huge event for Australia and for both of them to be there. I double his mind has changed much, but I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :)

Lones1

+1, I bet retirement isn't even in his thoughts, hopefull its best case and he'll be back on the bike later in the season. His fitness and health at his age are fantastic and he'll give himself every chance to getting back to top shape.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he'll retire but we won't be seeing him mixing it at the finali if the races anymore... not that that's a good thing but I think getting back into form at this point in the season will take while after what happened. Will the sponsors keep him next year due to this is the real question, what kind of contract did he sign?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I don't think he'll retire but we won't be seeing him mixing it at the finali if the races anymore... not that that's a good thing but I think getting back into form at this point in the season will take while after what happened. Will the sponsors keep him next year due to this is the real question, what kind of contract did he sign?

According to an earlier intview in Cycle Sport magazine where they did a feature on Katuysha, he said on of the reasons he signed 'because at his age how many more multi-year contracts would he get'.

You guys all remember Erik Dekker though right? Was on track to be one of the best Classics riders ever when he broke his femur at Milan San Remo and he never could come back from that - he got dropped in almost every race for 2 straight years and got himself back to where he could sometimes barely hang and finish with the front group but I never saw him off the front again.

It's a big deal for a cyclist to break leg bones, granted the femur is a bigger deal than what Robbie's got. We shall see, but I don't think it looks good for him. It's a lot of physical therapy and then a ton of training again from a lower level to get back up to form. That's tough, but hey, he's one tough mofo obviously.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
That is a great point about Dekker!! He was an absolute stud and after the break never the same. I do think a lot depends on individual body healing and some people do heal and recover quicker than others. McEwen will be back!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Beloki never did anything fantastic after his fractured femur and elbow in the 2003 TdF. But, McEwen has much more heart and courage. I think it is in a sprinter's genes.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
That is a great point about Dekker!! He was an absolute stud and after the break never the same. I do think a lot depends on individual body healing and some people do heal and recover quicker than others. McEwen will be back!

Yet another one: Andrea Moletta, broken thigh at 2007 MSR, now on Miche team but no info on wins/racing.

moletta_47.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
From The Age, a newspaper in Melbourne, Australia:

ROBBIE McEwen will miss this year's Tour de France and around three months of racing, but the veteran sprinter has vowed to fight back from an accident that was initially considered career-threatening.

McEwen had two screws inserted in his left leg in a Belgian hospital yesterday after he sustained three fractures just below his knee in an accident during Thursday's second stage of the Tour of Belgium.

Ending fears the injury might force him to retire, the 36-year-old said yesterday he was aiming to return to racing in September.

"Thanks everyone for your support. I promise you this, I will be back," McEwen posted on his Twitter page after having surgery.

"I'll be back round September probably."

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
looking onn twitter I think Mcewen said he did one of the post tour criteriums, that is good for him, although how far away he is from real racing i have no idea, infact i think he says he´s doing the eneco tour and the hamburg race. It would be nice if it is true, hope he hasnt lost all his speed.

infact it is on the cyclingnews homepage too :S

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Yep - 2nd place in first race back. Just a post-tour crit, but good to see him back and at the pointy end of the race.

That's an excellent result as it is coming back from a broken leg. I hope he really takes it up to Cav in future sprints as it is becoming really boring with CAV winning all the sprints.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
McEwen will fight on

Robbie McEwen will definitely not retire.

He returned to racing yesterday, finishing 2nd behind Cav in a post-Tour crit.

"Made comeback in Aalst.got 2nd to Cav, felt ok.lots more work to do but going right direction.now work on power + muscle mass tmoro diksmu" via http://twitter.com/mcewenrobbie

Also, he lost some money in a big investment scheme that went bust here in Australia so he will be extra motivated to ride for the big Katusha $$ for as long as he possibly can.

He is contracted to Katusha until the end of 2010.