• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winner's avg. speed trends in the TdF

I've been throwing some numbers in Excel, looking for trends in average speeds of the GC at the Tour de France. To moderate the impact of changes in route and other temporary factors, I used a rolling average of 10 consecutive years. My stats begin with the first season after WWII, 1947, so the first season listed is 1956.

tdf10yravgspeeds.jpg

Speeds are in KPH, beginning the TdF of the year indicated, averaged with the previous nine

Before I get to the analysis of the latter years, I want to get to the bottom of the biggest anomaly on this graph, the 1966 to 1976 dip. I'm asking here at CN because that's a little before my time so I don't have the institutional knowledge to answer this.

What could be the reason for that decade-long decline? Were the routes that much harder? The teams that much weaker? Is it because they began trying to control performance-enhancing drugs in 1966?

From a statistical standpoint, this really strikes me odd because the dip basically represents the meat of the career of Eddy Merckx.

What have I overlooked? What are your thoughts?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
from a purely statistical standpoint, I don't think what happend between 1966 and 1976 is significant.

For possible reasons for the slight decline in average speed there, I think there are many people on this forum that can give us information... :)

A

Anonymous

I think what would be interesting to do is overlay the total mileage for each tour, as well as the total climbing mileage for each one.

Im not old enough to remember the 70's but maybe more climbing etc. Also dont know if there were any regulation changes over equipment.

Also bear in mind massive changes in technology over the last 20 years.

the graph is a little bit decieving. We are only talking a 4kph average increase over the last fourty years.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I find that plateau beginning around 2006 to be interesting.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how big a role timing systems have played over the years in the calculation of average speeds? I'd imagine they've become far more accurate than they were in the pre-digital age.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
That high reading in 1967 was just before Tom Simpson croaked on the Ventoux. The subsequent dip for the next decade was the other riders saying "Holy sh**!";)

A

Anonymous

2wheels said:
That high reading in 1967 was just before Tom Simpson croaked on the Ventoux. The subsequent dip for the next decade was the other riders saying "Holy sh**!";)

its not year by year figures, its ten year average figures.

I think to see the reasons that ten year period 67-77 would need to be broken down into individual years. Could just be one very slow, mountainous year scewing the figures.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
Interesting that the coming of EPO doesn't seem to have caused a disturbance in the evolution of the average speed.

2wheels said:
I have moved this thread to the clinic, because it's certainly going to go down that way..... and you can have a freer discussion here.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
its not year by year figures, its ten year average figures.

Yes, I understood the graphic. And I bet in 4,900-odd posts, you've encountered this 'wink' icon before? It means I'm making a funny.

The reason I didn't post in The Clinic to begin with is I was giving them the benefit of the doubt ...and hoping to avoid getting embroiled in PEDs stuff. Anyway, the by-year results graph is pretty chaotic, which is why I went to the rolling average. And the dip does not appear to be the result of one over-hard tour:

tdfsince1957.jpg

A

Anonymous

StyrbjornSterki said:
The reason I didn't post in The Clinic to begin with is I was giving them the benefit of the doubt

To be honest, I think a mod was being a little overenthusiastic. This can easily be discussed without doping.

Havnt looked at all the years in depth, but 1973 for instance featured 3 more mountains than 72 and was considered a tough tour.

stages classed as mountain stages.
1973 - 2048.5km
1972 - 1606.0km
1971 - 1653.1km but the mountains were easier than 72

400km is a fair difference.

I would say thats enough to account for the 71-73 figures

I think what is interesting from the chart is firstly the EPO era is pretty noticable, but also the "lance years" are pretty noticable (although the two could arguably be called the same). Then we see a steady drop once lance went walkies.

'73 also was Merckx-less. Dunno that had any impact but I suspect the level of competition is one of the reasons accounting for the brief plateau at 2002 -- no Ullrich or Pantani, and a 7 minute+ margin of GC victory.

In the 10-yr Avg chart, the trend beginning ~1976 continues pretty smoothly right up until 2006, then the plateau. So maybe the riders all felt the need to be more cautious post-FLandis.

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
Interesting that the coming of EPO doesn't seem to have caused a disturbance in the evolution of the average speed.

I agree, why isn't there a change in slope starting around 1990. The assumption is always that EPO drove up the race speeds.

Maybe dip is causing some statistical issues. Perhaps the terain and route pay a big role from 62 to 89 and if you could factor those out (which would be very hard to do), you wold see a flatter slope from 62 to 89 then a increase after.

Very interesting graph.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Especially since the images now are on different pages, this might help a bit. The annual chart begins with the first TdF after WWII. The years don't line up because the "average" graph doesn't show the years prior to 1956.

rtdfcombined.jpg
Nice charts.

At first view I'd recommend cutting the moving average to maybe 3 years, max 5. 10 years is too much. It smoothes the curve too much.

The year by year is not so good either. Is chaotic because is specific of how hard the mountain stages are, how it was raced, wind factors etc. With the moving average it kinds of decreases those effects to certain point.

Good work though.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Have you taken into account the time bonuses given up to the 90s? Some sources for the average speed may be skewed if they have used the winner's official time rather than the actual time.

TeamSkyFans said:
I think what would be interesting to do is overlay the total mileage for each tour, as well as the total climbing mileage for each one.

Im not old enough to remember the 70's but maybe more climbing etc. Also dont know if there were any regulation changes over equipment.

Also bear in mind massive changes in technology over the last 20 years.

the graph is a little bit decieving. We are only talking a 4kph average increase over the last fourty years.

I don't know about you, but if I do the same 100km ride at 30kph it isn't the same as at 34kph, the difference between feeling good and on the limit.

A

Anonymous

frenchfry said:
I don't know about you, but if I do the same 100km ride at 30kph it isn't the same as at 34kph, the difference between feeling good and on the limit.

but this is where its difficult to read too much into these things.

What if for one of the 100km i put a hill in the middle, or made your bike 2lb lighter, or moved your gears from the downtube to the handlebars. this is why its so difficult to compare.

That for me though is why the lance period stands out. Technology wasnt that difference, the courses were similar, but something in those 5 years gave the winner a bit of a lift.

TeamSkyFans said:
but this is where its difficult to read too much into these things.

What if for one of the 100km i put a hill in the middle, or made your bike 2lb lighter, or moved your gears from the downtube to the handlebars. this is why its so difficult to compare.

That for me though is why the lance period stands out. Technology wasnt that difference, the courses were similar, but something in those 5 years gave the winner a bit of a lift.

You clearly are new to the sport. Not something, three things:

Will power, high cadence and hard training.

Dave.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
There was a paper in one of the sports medicine journals doing this (in a more mathematically sophisticated way using time series analysis) which showed similar things, IIRC.

Can't recall the reference, though.

TRENDING THREADS