• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winning a grand tour in 2009/2010?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Given the ongoing CERA debacle I thought the physiologists amongst us would enjoy the Hematide article in the New England Journal of Medicine this week.

A Peptide-Based Erythropoietin-Receptor Agonist for Pure Red-Cell Aplasia
Macdougall I et al

ABSTRACT

Background We investigated whether a novel, synthetic, peptide-based erythropoietin-receptor agonist (Hematide, Affymax) can stimulate erythropoiesis in patients with anemia that is caused by antierythropoietin antibodies.

Methods In this open-label, single-group trial, we enrolled patients with chronic kidney disease who had pure red-cell aplasia or hypoplasia due to antierythropoietin antibodies and treated them with a synthetic peptide-based erythropoietin-receptor agonist. The agonist was administered by subcutaneous injection at an initial dose of 0.05 mg per kilogram of body weight every 4 weeks. The primary end point was a hemoglobin concentration above 11 g per deciliter without the need for transfusions.

Results We treated 14 patients with the peptide agonist for a median of 28 months. The median hemoglobin concentration increased from 9.0 g per deciliter (with transfusion support in the case of 12 patients) before treatment to 11.4 g per deciliter at the time of the last administration of the agonist; transfusion requirements diminished within 12 weeks after the first dose, after which 13 of the 14 patients no longer required regular transfusions. Peak reticulocyte counts increased from a median of 10x109 per liter before treatment to peak counts of greater than 100x109 per liter. The level of antierythropoietin antibodies declined over the course of the study and became undetectable in six patients. One patient who initially responded to treatment had a diminished hematologic response a few months later despite increased doses of the agonist and required transfusions again; this patient was found to have antibodies against the agonist. One patient died 4 months after the last dose of the agonist, and a grade 3 or 4 adverse event occurred in seven other patients during the study period.

Conclusions This novel agonist of the erythropoietin receptor can correct anemia in patients with pure red-cell aplasia caused by antierythropoietin antibodies. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00314795 [ClinicalTrials.gov] .)

Sorry I am unsure now to link to the website.

I will endeavour to answer any questions.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
AICAR and Hematide were the two new products, then there was something at the IAAF worlds, a strength product.

How will hemoglobin be able to be manipulated for the passports and off-score. Wiggins and Armstrongs were going funny, everyone saw that, but can they still mitigate the changes.

mitochondrion said:
Peak reticulocyte counts increased from a median of 10x109 per liter before treatment to peak counts of greater than 100x109 per liter. ...

Conclusions This novel agonist of the erythropoietin receptor can correct anemia in patients with pure red-cell aplasia caused by antierythropoietin antibodies. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00314795 [ClinicalTrials.gov] .)[/I]

Sorry I am unsure now to link to the website.

I will endeavour to answer any questions.
Ok, I am not an expert but if this is true it can be detected with the Biological Passport. Big changes in retics are a red flag. So I guess that is one of the good things about the passport, because can detect changes in the blood even if new drugs are being used. In theory, if the Passport is used appropriately it can lead to strong suspicions about who is doping and who isn't.

Mitochondrion maybe you want to extend in the way this drug will affect the off score in the passport

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Reticulocytes and Hematide

All EPO and EPO receptor agonists will increase reticulocyte count by their modus operandi, they will therefore be detectable if the bio passport is as effective as advertised. Detection of doping is then dependent on regular if not daily testing.

I would contend that the current method of doping during the tours is autologous blood transfusion on perhaps three occasions 24-48 hours before big stages.

In order that one does not become anaemic at times of donation 6-8 weeks prior to a tour, I would contend that a GC contender would go to altitude and microdose EPO, CERA or HEMATIDE (little if any chance of detection).

How do the GC contenders obtain these drugs? HEMATIDE ,as yet, is not near release to the medical community outside trials.

TRENDING THREADS