• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winter Olympics 2010, Vancouver

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, a horrible start.

A men's Olympic luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died after a crash during training Friday, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the crash said.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

An official statement is to be released soon.

There were already discussions about the safety of this sport, I wonder how the IOC will react.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I saw the video, it happened so fast.
I like watching luge, but don't 'follow it' so I am no expert on it, but I don't remember seeing top speeds over 80-85 mph before, and unofficially the top practice run today was 96 mph (154 kph). That is insane. Get me a bobsled, if you turn over just duck and cover.

The only run that gets close to those speeds of 90mph is the Cresta run at St. Moritz where they get to about 88-89mph. There have been comments on the safety of Whistler's track since it was built and the top speeds were announced. I will not be surprised to see or hear of more serious injuries during the Olympics in the Luge, Bobsleigh and more likely the Skeleton.

Especially the skeleton as most of the nations have had no track time so the Canadians and US have had over 90% of the track time since it opened, the majority of that by the Canadians who have a great chance of winning. Plus, like the luge there are no sides.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
God Bless the guy,his family and the guy with the maple leaf mohawk that started trying to save his life 1 second after it happened. Watching the guy dressed in a lycra body suit and a modified ski helmet and ballet slippers,. I find it amazing that people find it so hard to believe how dangerous things are. 90mph laying on a sled is very F-ing dangerous. Watching this on TV has really fouled me. This is really sad

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
This is so very sad and it casts a shadow over what should be a celebration. I don't know if it's poor track design, a lack of safety equipment in the event they leave the track, or just a horrible fluke. Either way it sucks, I hope his team stays in the event and achieves something great.

Once again, the most hypocritical country in the world f's up. Yes, I'm Canadian...but I'm ashamed of my country more often than not. In this case it's just pure sporting pride stupidity. Build the fastest and most dangerous track in the world, give the competition only a handful of times to get ready on it...then throw up some concrete column right beside the track only a meter or two after a sketchy corner. Awful.

Add to that our role in the last coup in Haiti, the 3rd world conditions our northern natives live in and the fact that our mining companies are behind multiple murders in foreign countries and I'm starting to think Leichtenstein is my only option for guilt free living! Please don't burst my bubble about Leichtenstein.....

Hairy Wheels said:
Once again, the most hypocritical country in the world f's up. Yes, I'm Canadian...but I'm ashamed of my country more often than not. In this case it's just pure sporting pride stupidity. Build the fastest and most dangerous track in the world, give the competition only a handful of times to get ready on it...then throw up some concrete column right beside the track only a meter or two after a sketchy corner. Awful.

Add to that our role in the last coup in Haiti, the 3rd world conditions our northern natives live in and the fact that our mining companies are behind multiple murders in foreign countries and I'm starting to think Leichtenstein is my only option for guilt free living! Please don't burst my bubble about Leichtenstein.....

Well they are complicit in the vast system of international money laundering/tax fraud because of their 'flexible' banking laws. Widely considered a uncooperative tax haven by most governments. Also, it's a complete dump, I've been.

If you really want peace, go to Costa Rica. They have no army, literally no army. Also they have beaches, superior weather, and better looking women I warrant.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
I'm ashamed of my country more often than not.

So do something about it. Or leave. Many people died for your right to criticize our country. What have you done in return?

Hairy Wheels said:
Build the fastest and most dangerous track in the world,

Under the strict guidance of and with the approval of the IOC.

Hairy Wheels said:
...the 3rd world conditions our northern natives live in...

Please tell me you've spent enough time in the north to have a first hand knowledge of this topic. I have, and it ain't like you write it.

Hairy Wheels said:
I'm starting to think Leichtenstein is my only option for guilt free living!

That depends. If you seek utopia, wake up or head to Jonestown. Your Cdn passport is very valuable, millions would give anything for one, but please hand it in if we cause you such shame.

The Olympics are the biggest scam in sports apart from Lance Armstrong. They stir up nationalism, get thousands of athletes to compete for free, con countries in to footing the bill to put on the games, and then scrape off billions of dollars in media rights that are funneled to a corrupt elite. The athletes should organize and demand a percentage of the money brought in.

BroDeal said:
The Olympics are the biggest scam in sports apart from Lance Armstrong. They stir up nationalism, get thousands of athletes to compete for free, con countries in to footing the bill to put on the games, and then scrape off billions of dollars in media rights that are funneled to a corrupt elite. The athletes should organize and demand a percentage of the money brought in.

Few points:

-Okay, they do stir up nationalism, but it's the good kind of nationalism; national pride. When you feel honoured to be of your country and root for it with no reservations. Not the type of nationalism that leads you to invade Poland or anything

-It also promotes a positive view of sports, and gets countries and the sports media looking, looking at fantastic athletes who might not get the attention of sports stars labouring in more media friendly sports.

-All athletes are compensated, noone does it "for free," just not a lot. Perhaps a few athletes from smaller nations which don't have significant resources for winter sport have to do it all out of pocket, but otherwise the athletes are well treated. Also, in an era where some sports figures earn ungodly sums of money, isn't it good that there are some occasions where money isn't the number one motivating factor for people in sports, but national pride and excellence.

-Finally, the IOC actually spends a great deal of the money it rakes in to help foot the bill in certain areas. Also, the Olympics greatly benefit tourism, from which the host will gain everything and the IOC nothing. It's a 'i'll scratch your back' type of thing.

Bala Verde said:
So what are Sven Kramer's odds tomorrow.

Short enough that if he doesn't win, he'll have a lot of hand wringing and explaining to do when he gets home.

But he'll win, unless he falls (only happened once) or gets DQed (which I've never seen him do). He rode a 3:40 on a 3km practice a few days ago in Richmond, which is an absolutely sick time, and didn't even go flat out on the final lap. He's got the form and the confidence, so nothing will be wrong.

So do something about it. Or leave. Many people died for your right to criticize our country. What have you done in return?

I do...all the time. You should have asked first.

Been to northern Quebec reserves...and seen Jonestown in vid...the end result is the same. If you've actually been up there and you think they're a-ok you're a liar.

You're an apologist...and a poor one at that. Go buy your Roots shirts and mini-Canadian flags to wave....that's patriotism.

Very nice opening ceremony. Not quite up to the level of Beijing, but I seriously doubt that the Beijing Opening could ever be topped. I thought the tribute to the native peoples of Canada was great, the ballet performance was goreous (although I don't really know what it was supposed to respresent) and I thought the country music part was classic, as was the visual of the boy floating over the plains. Also, A+ move to bring the parade of all the nations forward in the running order.

I was a little less sold on the poetry guy, and the Nelly Furtado/Bryan Adams thing was horrible. Also it was a little heavy on the cliches. The aforementioned Furtado/Adams, Joni Mitchell in the background, Barber's Adagio for the ballet, Leonard Cohen (although the woman who performed it was great) and the guy from Notre-Dame de Paris.... By the end I was half expecting the corpse of Celine Dion to be wheeled out there.

But all in all, very good job. Don't regret staying up one bit.

Now:

Hup, HOLLAND, Hup!!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance, i agree that the opening ceremony of beijing was great but the actual games were pretty average.

Fav parts:
- k.d. lang singing Hallelujah. She (or he?:D) was brillaint.
-The part where all the ice cracked and the people were jumping for the ice. Cool effects.

I think Celine Dion and possibly Michael buble are in the closing ceremony.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Very nice opening ceremony. Not quite up to the level of Beijing, but I seriously doubt that the Beijing Opening could ever be topped. I thought the tribute to the native peoples of Canada was great, the ballet performance was goreous (although I don't really know what it was supposed to respresent) and I thought the country music part was classic, as was the visual of the boy floating over the plains. Also, A+ move to bring the parade of all the nations forward in the running order.

I was a little less sold on the poetry guy, and the Nelly Furtado/Bryan Adams thing was horrible. Also it was a little heavy on the cliches. The aforementioned Furtado/Adams, Joni Mitchell in the background, Barber's Adagio for the ballet, Leonard Cohen (although the woman who performed it was great) and the guy from Notre-Dame de Paris.... By the end I was half expecting the corpse of Celine Dion to be wheeled out there.

Now:

Hup, HOLLAND, Hup!!!

I turned the TV off. I will be cheering on the athletes from Ghana, Senegal, Algeria, Ethiopia, and Jamaica.

Moondance said:
-Okay, they do stir up nationalism, but it's the good kind of nationalism; national pride. When you feel honoured to be of your country and root for it with no reservations. Not the type of nationalism that leads you to invade Poland or anything

I was not aware there was a "good" kind of nationalism.

Moondance said:
-It also promotes a positive view of sports, and gets countries and the sports media looking, looking at fantastic athletes who might not get the attention of sports stars labouring in more media friendly sports.

Positive? Like little girls with legs more developed than mine? Gymnasts who look like they should be competing in the International Mr. Unlimited Ultra-Juicer Body Building Championship? Corrupt judging, underage athletes who the IOC refuses to evict, bribery, and the spectacle of IOC and national fed staff jetting around the world and living the high life? How about a head of the IOC who insisted on being addressed as "Excellency"?

The positive view of sports in the Olympics is manufactured kitsch designed to bamboozle money from the nations of the world. It is as phony as a McDonald's milkshake.

Moondance said:
-All athletes are compensated, noone does it "for free," just not a lot. Perhaps a few athletes from smaller nations which don't have significant resources for winter sport have to do it all out of pocket, but otherwise the athletes are well treated. Also, in an era where some sports figures earn ungodly sums of money, isn't it good that there are some occasions where money isn't the number one motivating factor for people in sports, but national pride and excellence.

Isn't it good that a multi-billion dollar event does not have to pay those performing. How convenient that the athletes don't get "ungodly" amounts of money but the IOC does--convenient for the IOC that is. If the money is not that important then the IOC should not care if they pay out some of that unimportant money to all the athletes. A $100K appearance fee for 10,000 athletes would only cost a billion dollars.

Moondance said:
-Finally, the IOC actually spends a great deal of the money it rakes in to help foot the bill in certain areas. Also, the Olympics greatly benefit tourism, from which the host will gain everything and the IOC nothing. It's a 'i'll scratch your back' type of thing.

At what cost? It took thirty years for the Montreal Olympics debt to be repaid. The Athens games were a financial disaster that cost ten times more than the initial projections; the facilities are crumbling.

You want tourism? Pay each visitor to the country a $1000 and you can get one million visitors for each billion dollars. For the final cost of the London Olympics, Britain could afford to pay thirty million tourists a $1000.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Could comment on a number of the points in your post, but will leave it to this one ...

I've had friends who've represented NZ at summer Olympics and I can tell you that they ended up seriously out of pocket ... even though in a couple of instances we are talking about people who competed professionally in their codes ... I'm guessing that the same would apply to our winter games team ... Still, they do get their uniforms for free - so they are better than I was when I got into a world champs team at one stage and had to by my own race uniform as well as all travel and accommodation ... :eek:

And as for athletes being treated well - before I came back down from Canada, there was a piece on the TV about the accommodation being built in Van for the IOC officials and the athletes. (On CBC I think - do any of the Canadians reading this remember it??) According to that article, the rules that the IOC set said that the accommodation for IOC officials and invited guests had to be to a minimum of 4 1/2 star standard. By comparison, the IOC also required that the athletes accommodation was no more than 3 stars ... And yes, I did hear that right - the whole point of the article was the inequity of the IOC's requirements.

But hey, why worry about the athletes right?? I mean, it's not like they have any pressure on them or that they have to perform or anything - not like those poor souls from the IOC and all the sponsor companies ... :rolleyes:

BroDeal said:
I was not aware there was a "good" kind of nationalism.

Positive? Like little girls with legs more developed than mine? Gymnasts who look like they should be competing in the International Mr. Unlimited Ultra-Juicer Body Building Championship? Corrupt judging, underage athletes who the IOC refuses to evict, bribery, and the spectacle of IOC and national fed staff jetting around the world and living the high life? How about a head of the IOC who insisted on being addressed as "Excellency"?

The positive view of sports in the Olympics is manufactured kitsch designed to bamboozle money from the nations of the world. It is as phony as a McDonald's milkshake.

Isn't it good that a multi-billion dollar event does not have to pay those performing. How convenient that the athletes don't get "ungodly" amounts of money but the IOC does--convenient for the IOC that is. If the money is not that important then the IOC should not care if they pay out some of that unimportant money to all the athletes. A $100K appearance fee for 10,000 athletes would only cost a billion dollars.

At what cost? It took thirty years for the Montreal Olympics debt to be repaid. The Athens games were a financial disaster that cost ten times more than the initial projections; the facilities are crumbling.

You want tourism? Pay each visitor to the country a $1000 and you can get one million visitors for each billion dollars. For the final cost of the London Olympics, Britain could afford to pay thirty million tourists a $1000.

I could respond to you, point by point, and we could go on ad infinitum, but I'm not going to. I've my my points and opinions clear, and you have made yours. Simply the facts that you think the whole thing is kitsch, while I think it's the greatest show on earth, means we'll never see eye to eye on this.

kiwirider said:
Could comment on a number of the points in your post, but will leave it to this one ...

I've had friends who've represented NZ at summer Olympics and I can tell you that they ended up seriously out of pocket ... even though in a couple of instances we are talking about people who competed professionally in their codes ... I'm guessing that the same would apply to our winter games team ... Still, they do get their uniforms for free - so they are better than I was when I got into a world champs team at one stage and had to by my own race uniform as well as all travel and accommodation ... :eek:

And as for athletes being treated well - before I came back down from Canada, there was a piece on the TV about the accommodation being built in Van for the IOC officials and the athletes. (On CBC I think - do any of the Canadians reading this remember it??) According to that article, the rules that the IOC set said that the accommodation for IOC officials and invited guests had to be to a minimum of 4 1/2 star standard. By comparison, the IOC also required that the athletes accommodation was no more than 3 stars ... And yes, I did hear that right - the whole point of the article was the inequity of the IOC's requirements.

But hey, why worry about the athletes right?? I mean, it's not like they have any pressure on them or that they have to perform or anything - not like those poor souls from the IOC and all the sponsor companies ... :rolleyes:

Alright, I get what it is you're saying, and there probably should be some change, I never said that there shouldn't be. Obviously something like the mandated luxury is pretty ridiculous, but then again, it makes them no better than any politician ever elected.

But I repeat what I've said before, I'm glad that there is still some athletic competition in the world where it isn't about how much money the athletes get. But if people are going out of pocket to participate, well they should get help and support from their government, or the IOC, I agree with you there.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy watching the Olympics and being there during the Sydney Olympics was one of the best times of my life. Just electric. I must admit I do get swept up in the nationalism, patriotism and pride. When an Aussie is up there getting a medal, particularly when our national anthem is played, I do get emotional. You listen to these athletes talk about competing for their country and how they would feel if they medal and win, you get what the Olympics are about for the individuals.

However, in saying all of that, I agree with BroDeal and Kiwirider. Unless you're a star or participating in a sport where medals are expected, the amount of support athletes receive is minimal. They get were they are by making huge sacrifices. Same for their families. I remember the last Winter Olympics and nearly every Canadian winner had gone outside their sporting infrastructure, on their own dime, to get the advice, coaching and experience they really needed to compete at the top level.

And I need not say more about the IOC. A corrupt old boys club. I heard during the opening ceremony that there are a number of Russian athletes who tested positive last year to banned substances that are competing at these Olympics. The Russians said they would deal with them after the Olympics and the IOC have done or said nothing. WTF? As long as the IOC members are sleeping in their 5 star accommodation, they will not give two hoots about the athletes.

In regards to the Georgian athlete and the amount of practice athletes are getting on all the courses, I do feel very sorry for both the athletes and the organizers. The weather has not been conducive and this has placed severe limitations on the availability of practice runs. While I am sure there are other reasons, the weather has been a prevailing problem.

Finally, the comment regarding the First Nation people is definitely correct. But that problem is not unique. Australia and America have an equally poor record. New Zealand probably have the best record. If anyone has any solutions, then I am sure there are many governments and agencies willing to listen.

Moondance said:

Now:

Hup, HOLLAND, Hup!!!

I enjoyed most of it, great effects and K. D. Lang was excellent.

Bring on the XC.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hairy Wheels said:
Once again, the most hypocritical country in the world f's up. Yes, I'm Canadian...but I'm ashamed of my country more often than not. ...I'm starting to think Leichtenstein is my only option for guilt free living!

If you find a nice Leichy duplex, let me know. I'll buy the other unit.

TRENDING THREADS