• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

winter trainer results ?

This is the first winter Ive continued to cycle. Getting about 5 hours a week and been at it for six weeks. Ive noticed some improvements in my intervals already. and smoothing out my stroke. I really think that I might be a better cyclist this spring than I was in late september when I 'peaked' for my century.

Any of you find you made overall improvements from your trainer over the winter ?
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
zealot66 said:
This is the first winter Ive continued to cycle. Getting about 5 hours a week and been at it for six weeks. Ive noticed some improvements in my intervals already. and smoothing out my stroke. I really think that I might be a better cyclist this spring than I was in late september when I 'peaked' for my century.

Any of you find you made overall improvements from your trainer over the winter ?

Usually do most of the power work indoors this time of year as it's to cold/wet to get a quality outdoor session in. Work up to 10 hrs+ through January and get outdoors for several hours unless the weather is life-threatening. More in February if you can fit it in. You won't be fast when the good outdoor weather comes but you will improve your strength and recovery. Nothing makes you fast like racing.
 
Apr 29, 2009
29
0
0
Visit site
I've forsaken the rollers/trainer for the winter here in Wisconsin and have taken up skate skiing. It's more efficient and far, far less boring. I can say that psychologically is this best winter I've had here in a long time.

It remains to be seen how I'll do when I remount my trusty steed in Feb. or March.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
Visit site
Trainers and/or rollers tend to be boring, but they have two advantages: 1. interval and power work; and 2. maintaining cycling fitness. XC skiing and skating are analogous to cycling in many ways, but they do not simulate fitness on the bike, just general fitness. I have seen many riders suffer in the early season because they did not maintain their cycling fitness over the winter by spending 2-3 sessions per week on the trainer/rollers. Now work on the trainer will not help endurance in the early season either, and that's where sports like XC skiing can help. Ultimately, a balance is more important than concentrating on one sport or another.
 
Ive thrown in some hard 10 k runs to work on my endurance but Im focusing on my intervals. ( I maintain a higher heart rate overall running )Go hard after 15 minutes warm up for 3 min then recover and go again. 60 minute rides. Im being able to hit the 3 minutes more intense and my recovery heart rate drops quickly. I dont have a sophisticated power meter but Im using rpm's heart rate and PRE to gauge my workouts. this last season I focused on endurance prepping for my century, mostly over hilly terrain but I feel like the trainer is allowing me to target and isolate certain aspects and train them.

Alot of you have been thru this year in and year out and this will be my 4th year cycling but I wish I'd gotten a trainer sooner and might have had better results when I hit the road instead of building up from a slackers winter.

I plan in feb to start weight training. I know the debates but I have some weak link in my body from injuries and I feel an overall weight program will help put a little more power to the pedals and keep my skeletal structure strong and able to cope with my injuries and recover from volume training overall. Great fun.
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
elapid said:
Trainers and/or rollers tend to be boring, but they have two advantages: 1. interval and power work; and 2. maintaining cycling fitness. XC skiing and skating are analogous to cycling in many ways, but they do not simulate fitness on the bike, just general fitness. I have seen many riders suffer in the early season because they did not maintain their cycling fitness over the winter by spending 2-3 sessions per week on the trainer/rollers. Now work on the trainer will not help endurance in the early season either, and that's where sports like XC skiing can help. Ultimately, a balance is more important than concentrating on one sport or another.

You can maintain endurance by using the trainer but you need to duplicate the time/effort you'd use to sustain it outdoors. I think we're in agreement on the power/interval work which, if done at long enough intervals; will contribute to endurance as well. We are talking serious boredom unless you have a comfy, distracting environment. I'm talking several fans, TV, DVD's, music and a varied program. It still will drive you nuts but you'll be a stronger crazy person.
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
Visit site
Oldman said:
You can maintain endurance by using the trainer but you need to duplicate the time/effort you'd use to sustain it outdoors. I think we're in agreement on the power/interval work which, if done at long enough intervals; will contribute to endurance as well. We are talking serious boredom unless you have a comfy, distracting environment. I'm talking several fans, TV, DVD's, music and a varied program. It still will drive you nuts but you'll be a stronger crazy person.

I've actually been on the trainer every day since the start of November and logged over 1000km/month on the trainer. I have one fan and lots of DVDs. I use the cycling DVDs during interval sessions and movies for endurance and recovery work. I've had a couple of injuries in the last few months from running and weight work, and the bike has been the only exercise I have been consistently able to do throughout. However, I do weights and core work 3-4 times per week and am usually able to fit in 2 yoga sessions per week, climb once a week, and skate or ski 3-4 times per week. I'd like to get in some martial arts, swimming and/or running, but it is difficult to find enough time!
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
elapid said:
I've actually been on the trainer every day since the start of November and logged over 1000km/month on the trainer. I have one fan and lots of DVDs. I use the cycling DVDs during interval sessions and movies for endurance and recovery work. I've had a couple of injuries in the last few months from running and weight work, and the bike has been the only exercise I have been consistently able to do throughout. However, I do weights and core work 3-4 times per week and am usually able to fit in 2 yoga sessions per week, climb once a week, and skate or ski 3-4 times per week. I'd like to get in some martial arts, swimming and/or running, but it is difficult to find enough time!

That's an impressive effort and likely to pay serious early season dividends! There are only 24 hrs a day so if you fit in the martial arts and swimming you will be a trojan. I attribute a certain mileage/hrs for my skiing to properly account for overall training but nothing for the weight work. Your 3-4 times skating a week is probably contributing an equivalent 100km+/week plus a mental bonus. Some of the best climbers I know rely on running hills as well and account for that time at about 30km/hr equivalent to cycling. They say running on pavement or flats is no muy beuno and leads to stress. Good luck this season.
 

TRENDING THREADS