• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winter training - what do you combine with time on the bike?

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi

With the weather growing cold and damp and due to the fewer hours of daylight, I have had to take a step down in regards to hours spent in the saddle.

I usually ride between 150 and 250 miles a week, when the conditions are good.

I was wondering, if people had some suggestions as to what other forms of exercise are optimal for maintaining some sort of shape (fitness and physical) through the winter?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you have an indoor trainer? If so, why make any changes?

For other non cycling activities the following are some general "rules":-
* cycling is the best way to maintain/improve your cycling ability
* quality can replace quantity to a certain extent.
* activities such as (indoor) rowing and x-country skiing have been shown to have similar biomechanics to cycling
* any activity is better than nothing
* if you are going to do weights or anything like that, then do them properly. Biceps curls are not good. Wide stance, deep square are.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
wokattack said:
Hi

With the weather growing cold and damp and due to the fewer hours of daylight, I have had to take a step down in regards to hours spent in the saddle.

I was wondering, if people had some suggestions as to what other forms of exercise are optimal for maintaining some sort of shape (fitness and physical) through the winter?
I suggest weights for the thighs and buttocks
143.jpg

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
I go to the climbing gym, great core workout and gets you doing something totally different.

Doesn't necessarily help cycling, and you'll come out of it with a little extra upper-body weight, but it goes away fairly fast once racing begins.

I'm still out riding 4 days, and will hit the climbing gym on 2 or 3 of my 'off' days. Doesn't interfere with riding much either.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
wokattack said:
Hi

I think it is important to continue time on the bike over winter, but it is also good to change things up a little and have variety in your training program. In regards to the bike, I modify my training program over winter with more intensity work (intervals) and less base work (because I find it difficult to spend more than 90 minutes on a trainer). I will do a variety of different activities over winter (and also during the cycling season) including strength work, indoor climbing, skating, XC skiing, yoga, trail running, and martial arts.

I love cycling in all its various forms, and I occasionally race, but I am not a professional. I am not too obsessive about upper body mass or even body weight. I like to keep active and fit, with cycling my main activity, but also know I do not want to deprive myself of other experiences and activities.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
A change of focus.
Substitute long rides (+3hrs etc.) over rolling terrain with steep climbs, long climbs, hard big gear inclines. Keep time out on the bike shorter (<2hrs) but more intense, keeping both body heat up and enhancing climbing ability, strengthening legs, lower back and increasing lung capacity.
Warm and dry clothing and embrocation helps a lot. So too warm Tea pre/post rideout.
Cyclo-Cross and/or MTB'ing.
Not a fan of Gyms but would suggest any activity where you focus on something other than leg/arm muscles. Don't like indoor trainers either but can see they offer huge benefits if your into cat2+ racing.

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently doing a combination of indoor cycling (turbo) and circuit training for upper and lower body strength exercise. For the legs, I do alot of squats (currently 90kg) and machine leg curls, deadlifts, step ups, lunges and calf raises. I've felt I've come a long way since starting this and it's translating itself into speed on the bike as a result.
For the upper body, mostly pull ups, dips, bench press and press ups. The body fat is dropping also and I'm down to 11.9% body fat and it's only December!
Also using a recovery drink after exercise and protein shakes as a snake during the day. Seems to be working and getting the body fat down while maintaining a steady 78kg weight.

A Months Rest or Keep Riding ??

So my question is - do I take a month to 6 weeks off the bike and have a complete rest from cycling or keep cycling on the trainer and outdoors when weather allows ?

Its just I am now reading how the pro-cyclists have a complete 6 week lay off. I heard a complete rest is required after summer to let the body and legs recover.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
So my question is - do I take a month to 6 weeks off the bike and have a complete rest from cycling or keep cycling on the trainer and outdoors when weather allows ?

Its just I am now reading how the pro-cyclists have a complete 6 week lay off. I heard a complete rest is required after summer to let the body and legs recover.

Are you riding 20,000+ km in the season, including hard racing in one day classics and 1 to 3 week stage races? If so, then your body and mind will probably need a rest. If not, then we mere mortals are probably not so much in need of this kind of rest.

A bike trainer is probably the best - because it uses the same basic muscles as cycling.

I use a NordicTrack SKI machine - usually available 'used' on Craigslist for very little cost.
Make sure the electronics work - at least time, speed, and distance.

Using the NT requires concentration and coordination, and they can give a very strenuous workout.
That is why they are available 'used' so often - they're not 'fun & easy'....

Also use a large fan for cooling.
For maintenance of the NT, I use drug store mineral oil (it doesn't have an oily smell) on the roller axles, and a 'stick lube' (door ease) on the sides of the skis every 50K.

The NT uses leg, torso, and arm muscles, so it's good for overall conditioning, but it isn't ideal for 'bike specific' muscles.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I just feel like I have done a lot of riding this year and may need to take a rest...but I never do as I am afraid I will lose cycling fitness.

I really think it depends how you feel. I know when I have worked towards a single big event for the year, I lacked motivation after completing that event despite being in peak fitness. By the time winter comes around, I am ready to start working on the bike again. For you, if you feel jaded, then stop cycling (or do a couple of sessions per week just to keep the cycling muscles engaged) and try something different (or try a different type of cycling, such as mountain biking or cyclocross). Nothing like a mental recharge. Probably the most important thing is to find something that you enjoy doing. I personally don't think it has to be related to cycling or an exercise that engages muscles that we cyclists typically use. I enjoy skating and XC skiing in the winter, and also like strength training, running and indoor climbing. I would love to play squash and do more swimming, kayaking and martial arts as well, but alas there is not enough time in the day!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
XC skiing if you're outside, plyometrics if you're inside, those and many other activities are great for fitness and I find a little variety is always good for the mind.

Vegan Dave said:
I'm still out riding 4 days...
Hey, this thread is about winter and you live in Victoria! :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I just feel like I have done a lot of riding this year and may need to take a rest...but I never do as I am afraid I will lose cycling fitness.

I took a month off while on vacation this winter/spring . I set my intention I wasn't going to lose anything . I practiced deep breathing for 15-20 minutes a day. When I got back on the bike ... it took only a week or so to get back in the groove and lost nothing, gained everything as I was fresh and eager to ride :) Set your mind to it and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all advice - I agree, running in the snow is great...if we had snow I would love to xc ski but we dont all have the luck to live in Canada :) The gym is suicide so wont be doing that - just dont want knackered knees from running.

Suns out, lovely day - so off for a ride - you see ?! I cant resist.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Winter is the time I diet so weigh loss doesnt hurt aerobic performance

Mix in yoga 2x

Plyometrics as in CrossFit body weight for core and agility

short intense intervals on bike or trainer 3x.

one long light intensity aerobic (fat burn) ride per week. 1.5 hrs If dieting I do this ride in a fasted state

high rep low weight free weights 2x per week

taking time to measure calories burned vs consumed is something i hope to add this winter but it is a task and mind numbing routine

Heard an old Danish (?) cycling proverb once:

Ride into the winter, and you can ride through the winter.

Truer cycling words never spoken.
Granted, if you live somewhere like the Yukon, easier said than done. But for most of us, it's possible.

I used to go cross country skiing, a lot. Actually skied almost as much as cycled some years. I felt I was often fitter after the ski season than cycling it's such a taxing sport.

xc skiing rules, cant wait for the season already! i have an indoor trainer, but during the wintertime (nov-march) i basically do all my longer and less intense aerobic efforts on the skis (or nordic skates). also i think skiing's good for the occasional vo2max intervals, since all the main musclegroups are recruited and thus the oxygen uptake is very high during max efforts. i have both classic and skate skis, but mainly skate. however, i try to fit in both double poling (classic) and no-pole skating intervals on every excercise. i usually ski for 2-4hr per excercise.

thruout the winter, i also do threshold stuff, high cadence spinning and recovery rides on the trainer to keep touch to pedaling. what else? core/strenght circuit training and mild weight training (mainly for upper body, ie skiing). also when it's not too slippery, I sometimes do jump/leap workouts to increase muscle power. one legged jump sets are my fave.

i actually quite like the winter. nay, love it. also, since im a beginnerish one as a race oriented rider, i think i rather gain fitness around the year than lose it during the winter.