• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

wippermann links

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I've just got my LBS to put Wipperman links in my (10-speed Shimano) chains, so that I can change chains easily.

However, when the time came to actually change the chain, it was really quite slow and awkward to do. Hooking the link up is easy, breaking the chain was quite difficult.

Is there a particular knack to removing one of these links that I'm missing?

They seem to resemble the Sachs Powerlink types. For those, squeezing the side plates towards each other before trying to undo the two parts made the 'unlinking' a very easy operation.
Hope this helps

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I use the wipperman and sram links (which I find even harder to get apart) and use a pair of park master link pliers - they make it sooo easy. I haven't tried but I guess a small pair of needle nose pliers would do the trick.

TRENDING THREADS