• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

With races being cancelled, what are you watching,?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This evening NBCSports is showing some older college football games. Currently watching an Ohio State/USC game from 1975. The next game they are showing is Michigan State/USC from 1988. (USC is University of Southern California.) Nice seeing some older games instead of just the recent ones.

Reactions: MichiganForYou
I just started watching ESPN's miniseries The Last Dance about the 90's Chicago Bulls... while I didn't follow the NBA much back then it's actually pretty interesting. While understandable I wish they didn't focus so much on Michael Jordan, but at least they did give some airtime to Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman. I'm only on part 3 though from a 10-part series, so hopefully some other players will get their story told as well.
I wish they didn't focus so much on the past (which is for the most part known to anyone who followed the NBA back then) and gave some more insights on that last dance.
I mean, some context was surely needed, but after 4 episodes very little has been said about the 97/98 season apart from Pippen's holdout and MJ having to chase down Rodman in Vegas halfway through the season.

I wish they didn't focus so much on the past (which is for the most part known to anyone who followed the NBA back then) and gave some more insights on that last dance.
I mean, some context was surely needed, but after 4 episodes very little has been said about the 97/98 season apart from Pippen's holdout and MJ having to chase down Rodman in Vegas halfway through the season.
I think parts 5 and 6 will be streamed tonight, so with any luck we may just get a little bit closer to the actual Last Dance.

Patience, patience...

For anyone who's been watching the NASCAR iracing series they just announced that next weekend on Saturday they will be racing North Wilkesboro. Iracing did get it scanned back in December and they have just released it for the iracing series on Fox. However it is not yet available for the commercial use yet.

Update on the Latest Dance on ESPN:

So yesterday they showed parts 5 and 6, and we still haven't gotten to the Last Dance. It's getting very annoying and aggravating, it's like - 1998, the Last Dance. But first let us tell you about this one game back in 1991, or that other one back in 1995. And this has been going on throughout the whole series so far.

Their strategy is very soap opera, obviously they're dragging it out for as long as possible so we'll keep watching. And I am learning interesting tidbits and will keep on watching, but I'm also just very annoyed at this point.

So yesterday they showed parts 5 and 6, and we still haven't gotten to the Last Dance. It's getting very annoying and aggravating, it's like - 1998, the Last Dance. But first let us tell you about this one game back in 1991, or that other one back in 1995. And this has been going on throughout the whole series so far.

Their strategy is very soap opera, obviously they're dragging it out for as long as possible so we'll keep watching. And I am learning interesting tidbits and will keep on watching, but I'm also just very annoyed at this point.
I understand their approach, they're trying to please a more generic audience (it's on Netflix after all).
But it's not a doc about the last dance. It's a doc on MJ.

I understand their approach, they're trying to please a more generic audience (it's on Netflix after all).
But it's not a doc about the last dance. It's a doc on MJ.
True dat.

I just started watching various youtube documentaries about topics that interested me that ESPN's Last Dance only briefly touched upon - like Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, the Bad Boys of Detroit, whether the NBA is rigged or not, etc., at least the Last Dance pointed me in the right direction, which gave me something to do during lockdown. MJ I've had enough of, even if people didn't follow b-ball during that era you still couldn't get away from him because of all the heavy marketing.

I think we're in for another three parts of MJ, and then we will finally get to the Last Dance.

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed this, but two questions:
  • Anyone know where I can watch the following stages?
    • Contador Verbier 2009
    • Contador Fuente De 2012
    • Best classic Pantani climbs
    • Classic Hinault and Lemonde battles
    • Froome Sestriere
    • Contador Alpe de'Huez 2011
    • Contador-Schleck duels
    • Any other classic mountain stages of the last 10 years
  • Anyone know the best way to simulate iconic climbs from Grand Tours using a Wahoo Kickr Core bike trainer?

• Contador Verbier 2009
    • Froome Sestriere
    • Contador-Schleck duels
  • Anyone know the best way to simulate iconic climbs from Grand Tours using a Wahoo Kickr Core bike trainer?
Tour 1998, Grenoble - Les Deux Alpes (Pantani destroys Ullrich)
View: https://youtu.be/HvRPS9Zys8Q

Giro 1999, Racconigi - Oropa (epic comeback by Pantani)
View: https://youtu.be/uygIxoSi_h4

Tour 1997, Saint-Étienne - Alpe d'Huez (fastest ascent ever on Alpe by Pantani)
View: https://youtu.be/XXdvg1n40kU

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
    • Contador Verbier 2009
    • Froome Sestriere
    • Contador-Schleck duels

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbAUny1FC8o

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85VKOxRQnYE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdF1ZmsdTs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6djez8GA00

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlB63g0EgHo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nWWctSJ44

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtfBHjTNiZg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3uHHCVRAg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vYWqmDNPo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5glbxJmj8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8XKIfoVfYI

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya

I actually don't mind the chop and change timeline. It does help explain how attitudes, rivalries, perceptions etc were formed, as well as add some context to some of the decisions made by the players and staff.

I think explaining things like the pre-Jackson Bulls and the shift in offensive strategy, the Detroit rivalry and Jordan's physical response, the shift to baseball and Jordan's rejuvenation certainly added to the whole story of the Bulls dynasty, even if it wasn't necessarily integral to the 1998 season.

I mostly wish Luc Longley was available, he was an underrated part of the team and had a rocky relationship with Jordan at first and his blocking and screening was more important than many realise.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
    • Contador Verbier 2009
    • Froome Sestriere
    • Contador-Schleck duels
Tacx and Rouvy both have a good number of climbs from the GTs, and have free trials

I actually don't mind the chop and change timeline. It does help explain how attitudes, rivalries, perceptions etc were formed, as well as add some context to some of the decisions made by the players and staff.

I think explaining things like the pre-Jackson Bulls and the shift in offensive strategy, the Detroit rivalry and Jordan's physical response, the shift to baseball and Jordan's rejuvenation certainly added to the whole story of the Bulls dynasty, even if it wasn't necessarily integral to the 1998 season.

I mostly wish Luc Longley was available, he was an underrated part of the team and had a rocky relationship with Jordan at first and his blocking and screening was more important than many realise.
Nothing wrong the man, now that you have mentioned him. (Eh, I'm still trying to catch up with the 90's Bulls here.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_eFmYq8yks

Why? Bad route or something? I think it was a fascinating race, especially in light of the internal Astana power struggle.
The off-bike stuff was entertaining, but the on-bike stuff was abysmal. You had the last few kilometres of La Grande Motte and the last 40km of the Le Grand Bornand stage (which was great and by far the best stage design Proudhomme had greenlit at the time), but the rest of it was absolute garbage. The Pyrenees were completely neutered to the point where they were effectively sprint stages, then once Ag2r had the jersey and Astana were happy to let them have it, you had a complete week of stages between Arcalis (one of the worst MTFs of all time) and Verbier (not a very interesting climb, only really relevant for the power numbers and Contador stamping his authority over Armstrong) which were completely worthless and in which nothing happened, with the most interesting thing being HTC trying to lead out a sprint whilst simultaneously trying to slow the pace down to get Hincapie into the maillot jaune. Stage 16 looked like it could have got interesting, and resulted in the most impressive thing in Armstrong's comeback when he stamped on the pedals and moved from group 3 to group 2 very quickly indeed, but then everybody sat up and decided they'd prefer it if Dave Zabriskie led the bunch over cat.1 climbs. Grégory Rast led the bunch over the Tourmalet, for crying out loud. The only rider in the top 10 who hadn't been in the top TTT teams all the way back on stage 4 was Christophe le Mevel, and that was cos he'd been in the break that got given loads of time in the middle of week 2.

The route was a major problem with the 2009 Tour, definitely. I think the course was designed with Armstrong's return in mind. The course was actively designed to try to keep him in contention as long as possible because of the additional eyes on the sport. The cleanup job in the previous years had not done wonders for the audience, with Landis' DQ, Rasmussen being ejected in the maillot jaune, Puerto, Telekom, and then AFLD unleashing the CERA test on the world mid-race in 2008. They had no idea how competitive Armstrong could be at that point, having been out of the sport for 3 years and being 37 years old, so they deliberately minimised the selective stages until late in the race and also reintroduced the TTT, not seen since his retirement. Obviously in the end, the Astana team's super strength, that several of those who might have animated the mountain stages were out of form (e.g. Sastre), a number of contenders were undercooked (e.g. Evans, Menchov) or barred (Valverde, due to the detour into Italy) and the fact that post-comeback Lance was pretty good anyway at that point meant it was unnecessary. And the removal of Pierre Bordry from his post, allegedly under pressure from Armstrong fan Nicolas Sarkozy, and AFLD being relieved of the duty of testing at the Tour, has been a move which has had serious long-term implications for the credibility of the sport as well, but that's a tangential and separate issue (and one which is best left to the Clinic really) from why the 2009 Tour is truly the epitome of a bad Grand Tour in recent years.

I guess the Monégasque start didn't help much, either, what with the locals being completely indifferent to the race starting there. But we did get a good cross-wind stage, which effectively made the first week a success when you compare it to other editions of that time.

But yes, Arcalis sucked, the Garmin versus Hincapie battle was hilarious, and I think Verbier was better than you think it was.

And now I checked and thus remember what was wrong with the Pyrenees. Tourmalet the final mountain, 70 kms out was ridiculous, I agree. The same with stage 8.

The stage Haussler won in Massif Céntral was pretty epic, though, and Contador beating Cancellara in the Annecy TT was quite the jaw-dropper. But then Mont Ventoux sucked because the Schlecks preferred to try to get them both on the podium rather than trying to win the stage.

So yeah, it was probably not as good as I for some reason recalled it as being. Maybe Nicki Sørensen winning a stage as the first non-Michael Rasmussen Dane since 1996 (?) meant more to me back then than it does now.

I guess the Monégasque start didn't help much, either, what with the locals being completely indifferent to the race starting there. But we did get a good cross-wind stage, which effectively made the first week a success when you compare it to other editions of that time.

But yes, Arcalis sucked, the Garmin versus Hincapie battle was hilarious, and I think Verbier was better than you think it was.

And now I checked and thus remember what was wrong with the Pyrenees. Tourmalet the final mountain, 70 kms out was ridiculous, I agree. The same with stage 8.

The stage Haussler won in Massif Céntral was pretty epic, though, and Contador beating Cancellara in the Annecy TT was quite the jaw-dropper. But then Mont Ventoux sucked because the Schlecks preferred to try to get them both on the podium rather than trying to win the stage.

So yeah, it was probably not as good as I for some reason recalled it as being. Maybe Nicki Sørensen winning a stage as the first non-Michael Rasmussen Dane since 1996 (?) meant more to me back then than it does now.
If I remember correctly Schleck wanted Contador to work with him to catch the breakaway for the stage win but Contador refused. If Schleck had gone for the stage Contador would have followed and outsprinted him. Can anyone confirm what I remember?

By the way, is there a video that covers all important phases of the cobbles stage of the 2010 Tour? I have found mostly highlights.

If I remember correctly Schleck wanted Contador to work with him to catch the breakaway for the stage win but Contador refused. If Schleck had gone for the stage Contador would have followed and outsprinted him. Can anyone confirm what I remember?

By the way, is there a video that covers all important phases of the cobbles stage of the 2010 Tour? I have found mostly highlights.

This video looks like it has what you ask with the added bonus of commercials, which seems pretty pointless in a video where you can just fast-forward them...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqwUqjTmEWw

But it's the first result on Youtube so perhaps I'm mistaken?

Reactions: Forever The Best
What Longley was good at there's no stats for.

Once he was set in the key and running screens Jordan may as well have been on the moon. Being 7'2, 120kgs and willing to use all of it helps.
I haven't watched the rest of the series yet because I figured I would just binge-watch the last few episodes, maybe the reason they haven't mentioned him (so far) is because he's not American and obviously wasn't on the US Olympic team. And as SafeBet had mentioned it's been mostly the MJ show anyway, so I'm not too surprised.

On a somewhat related note - I'm glad ABC showed ESPN's "The Bad Boys" yesterday, I recorded it, so now I will get to find out more about the 80's and early 90's Detroit Pistons. 30 For 30 is such a good series, it ticks me off ESPN now charges extra if you want to stream it.

I haven't watched the rest of the series yet because I figured I would just binge-watch the last few episodes, maybe the reason they haven't mentioned him (so far) is because he's not American and obviously wasn't on the US Olympic team. And as SafeBet had mentioned it's been mostly the MJ show anyway, so I'm not too surprised.

On a somewhat related note - I'm glad ABC showed ESPN's "The Bad Boys" yesterday, I recorded it, so now I will get to find out more about the 80's and early 90's Detroit Pistons. 30 For 30 is such a good series, it ticks me off ESPN now charges extra if you want to stream it.
Longley is based back here in Australia, the only reason he's not more heavily featured is time and budget constraints, also the producers didn't want to ruin the production quality with video links

TRENDING THREADS