• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.

Ben Aroundo said:
Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.

The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.

Do you live in Athens 450 B.C by any chance?

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.

:confused:

You don't have to read it. The thread title is pretty clear, why did you click on it if you know it is going to displease you?

Odd.

Joachim said:
I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.

Is tennis the only sport where men and women compete together?

williamp78 said:
Nothing is going to happen unless the UCI actually offer some support. Irrespective of what "gender" the UCI is

This. It's another way of saying they ALREADY FACE THIS ISSUE ON THEIR OWN. And the UCI is no help.

Remember, there was a Tour de France run for women for many years too. Both the male and female malliot jaune shared the podium.

FYI: Equestrian events like dressage men and women compete together.

Title IX anyone? The doom sayers claimed it would eviscerate Men's sports and it didn't. What a shocker. Equal prize purses should be a given in cycling at the elite level. The Women's racing can be good.

http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/biathlon-world-cup-prize-money-201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What ever happened to, "I am woman hear me roar"? :confused: Or how ever that saying goes?

Funny thing is the powers that be are a bit busy with not getting overthrown so I think this one is going to be shelved for some time, if not indefinitely.

Libertine Seguros said:
http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/biathlon-world-cup-prize-money-201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.

I thought LS knew quite a lot about cycling, but now I realise its not just cycling...you should get paid for this!

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Prize money for Tour of Qatar (starting 29 January.)

Women (4 stages) €21 360
Men (5 stages + TTT) €103 375

If the number of stages were the same it would be about a 1:4 ratio - is this about the same as other parallel events (RVV, FW?) The prize money is better than the Giro Donne which is closer to €10K from what I've read.

Interesting argument.

In NCAA college sports there is something called Title IX. It refers to equal opportunity for female sports participation, and isn't contingent on revenue generation. Lots of debates about Title IX.

In the US, women's soccer isn't on the level of MLS when it comes to money, but remains quite popular, especially in participation, with women making up nearly 50% of all athletes who play competitive soccer. Go to any school event and girls soccer is nearly equal in popularity to boys.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
If a sport is interesting to the general public, it will thrive and the money will pour in. If not, it will forever remain relatively obscure. Case in point:

Women's football: not interesting, will never become a big deal. Boring.

Women's tennis: HUGE! Very entertaining.

That's life. I don't predict big things for women's cycling, mainly based on my own complete lack of interest. I do however have immense respect for the podium girls.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
If a sport is interesting to the general public, it will thrive and the money will pour in. If not, it will forever remain relatively obscure. Case in point:

Women's football: not interesting, will never become a big deal. Boring.

Women's tennis: HUGE! Very entertaining.

That's life. I don't predict big things for women's cycling, mainly based on my own complete lack of interest. I do however have immense respect for the podium girls.

What an appallingly sexist obnoxious post. The entertainment from the women's football at the Olympics was far better than the drab men's tournament. Granted that has a lot to do with the weird U23 format I think, but the women's game has the potential to deliver thrilling matches, just like I can go to a 5th tier game and enjoy it more than a PL game. As more and more women get into football, one might expect the women's game to increase in both quality and popularity. The podium girls comment was just the icing on the misogynist cake - not good enough to actually take part but they can stand there and look pretty? Get back to your cave.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ben Aroundo said:

If men weren't in more or less total control of the UCI then they wouldn't be "asking men" for it. As it is you are blaming an unequal power structure on the victims of it - how exactly can women's cycling do anything without asking men when the ones in charge are men? The insinuation that no-one involved in women's cycling is trying to do anything to make things better is frankly nasty, too.

Joachim said:
:confused:

You don't have to read it. The thread title is pretty clear, why did you click on it if you know it is going to displease you?

Odd.

It's a point that needed making, and this was the most appropriate thread.

As it stands, with a nominally mixed forum, you periodically get some smart **** trying to bring Vos in to discussions.

Why not create a women's cycling forum where they can discuss it to their heart's content.

TRENDING THREADS