• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wonderboy Blames UCI For His Cancer & USPS/Sponsors For His Doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
Isn't that a little dramatic? When I think USPS, all I think about is the mail, and a company I use to ship old ski gear to people. Just like when I think of Festina, I think of.........watches.

It would be dramatic to pretend that associating your brand with lance only brought positive publicity. It is hard to escape the avalanche of negative stories that focused on organized doping on USPS

Irony now that he is claiming that they should have known due to the history/media and reputation of cycling during that time.

Now that it serves him, his lawyers are using the doping as an actual defense and part of the package...crazy weird.

The hCG, hmmm...I'm not sure if there was a urine/blood test to detect hCG at that time for cycling, or if it was even tested for.

Anybody have info on that part of the discussion? I guess since Lance said they should have detected it, he would know better than anybody what they were able to detect, and avoid.

Kind of stupid, they knew taking micro doses and going off cycle of EPO kept them from being detected, same for hCG. It has I believe around a 24-36hrs on average. So in a matter of 3 days, it is likely undetectable anyway.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It would be dramatic to pretend that associating your brand with lance only brought positive publicity. It is hard to escape the avalanche of negative stories that focused on organized doping on USPS

Would this cause you to spend two to three times more money shipping something through another carrier?

Keep in mind were talking casuals here. Not a few rabid cycling news clinic posters.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
The hCG, hmmm...I'm not sure if there was a urine/blood test to detect hCG at that time for cycling, or if it was even tested for.

Anybody have info on that part of the discussion? I guess since Lance said they should have detected it, he would know better than anybody what they were able to detect, and avoid.

Yes, there was. It is part of the Testosterone test. Other athletes have found out they had cancer via a drug test.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
Would this cause you to spend two to three times more money shipping something through another carrier?

Keep in mind were talking casuals here. Not a few rabid cycling news clinic posters.

It may not be a concern to you but it is clear the fear of adverse publicly was a concern to USPS, just like it would be for any brand. They addressed this with an amendment to the sponsorship agreement that clearly spelled out the actions the team had to take. They not only took none of these actions but actively enabled doping in the team in order to falsely enrich themselves... which is the core of the Government's case

May 7, 2009
Visit site
PhiberAwptik said:
Isn't that a little dramatic? When I think USPS, all I think about is the mail, and a company I use to ship old ski gear to people. Just like when I think of Festina, I think of.........watches.

This seems intentionally dense to me, and doesn't match the perceptions of anyone I've ever talked to.

zigmeister said:

They didn't have a test for EPO. They didn't have a test for synthetic testosterone. They didn't have a test for blood doping. They did have a test for steroids but they didn't use it?

Just as likely if more likely they just ditched to urine samples.

Also, Lance didn't say it. Vaughters said that Lance told him. He still hasn't gone public with this hCG-card. It's an article from January.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Irony now that he is claiming that they should have known due to the history/media and reputation of cycling during that time.

Now that it serves him, his lawyers are using the doping as an actual defense and part of the package...crazy weird.

Kind of stupid, they knew taking micro doses and going off cycle of EPO kept them from being detected, same for hCG. It has I believe around a 24-36hrs on average. So in a matter of 3 days, it is likely undetectable anyway.

If UCI are to blame for not detecting his HCG levels then so are USADA.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
If UCI are to blame for not detecting his HCG levels then so are USADA.

Nope.

The UCI were the last Fed to sign the WADA code. They were not allowed to test cyclists until August, 2004......8 years after the UCI ignored Armstrong's Elevated HcG levels

Race Radio said:
While the UCI may not care about cancer we know USADA does

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=8214757

Can't tell if you are serious or not about this.

hCG is not naturally occurring in men. That is true, except one circumstance, when a man has testicular cancer.

Turned out, they did save his life. I mean, in the sense that he paid attention to the fact and did some reading. If he was taking hCG, it would have been no mystery, and he would have known that it wasn't cancer likely, or it could have been coincidence that he had Testicular cancer, while taking hCG...so one masked the other as to the source.

So if somebody has hCG, will they need to get a doctor's note stating they found cancer of the testicles to then be cleared by USADA, WADA and USA Cycling??

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
zigmeister said:
Can't tell if you are serious or not about this.

hCG is not naturally occurring in men. That is true, except one circumstance, when a man has testicular cancer.

Turned out, they did save his life. I mean, in the sense that he paid attention to the fact and did some reading. If he was taking hCG, it would have been no mystery, and he would have known that it wasn't cancer likely, or it could have been coincidence that he had Testicular cancer, while taking hCG...so one masked the other as to the source.

So if somebody has hCG, will they need to get a doctor's note stating they found cancer of the testicles to then be cleared by USADA, WADA and USA Cycling??

Not sure why you are confused.

hCG is used to stimulate the production of testosterone. At the end of a cycle of anabolic steroids, the body’s natural ability to produce testosterone will often be impaired, and dopers use beta-hCG to restart their own supply of testosterone. Hence beta-hCG is a Class A banned substance.

Armstrong’s beta-hCG level were enormously high. Armstrong himself has offered three different figures: 52.000 ng/ml; 92.380 ng/ml; and 109.000 ng/ml. The first figure was quoted by Armstrong in an interview with French sports newspaper L’Equipe in November 1996; the other two appeared in his autobiography, It’s Not About the Bike.

The UCI ignored his hCG levels, which delayed the detection of his cancer. If you read the article I linked you will see that USADA does not ignore elevated hCG levels and possibly saved an athletes life

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
This just goes to how pathological he is. I pointed out some older threads that he was on a serious program at Motorola that mystified Ochowicz and his staff. He managed to put in 6 hr training rides at a multi-week camp, lift weights and gain almost 20 lbs! The staff was asking other riders if they had a clue what LA was doing. His cancer followed the next season and he knew what he'd been doing.
cortisone neck

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Not sure why you are confused.

hCG is used to stimulate the production of testosterone. At the end of a cycle of anabolic steroids, the body’s natural ability to produce testosterone will often be impaired, and dopers use beta-hCG to restart their own supply of testosterone. Hence beta-hCG is a Class A banned substance.

Armstrong’s beta-hCG level were enormously high. Armstrong himself has offered three different figures: 52.000 ng/ml; 92.380 ng/ml; and 109.000 ng/ml. The first figure was quoted by Armstrong in an interview with French sports newspaper L’Equipe in November 1996; the other two appeared in his autobiography, It’s Not About the Bike.

The UCI ignored his hCG levels, which delayed the detection of his cancer. If you read the article I linked you will see that USADA does not ignore elevated hCG levels and possibly saved an athletes life
ian thorpe the swimmer (edited) he had a positive in lutenizing hormone that the government covered up for him

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
In terms of the whistleblower suit I just can't see the government proving damages? They had a windfall sponsorship. LA probably tripled the sponsorship value on investment. On that basis alone maybe USPS should give him a bonus. The only thing that can hurt him is if we stop talking about him. The sooner we finish all the associated crap about him the sooner we can stop acknowledging him the better off we all would be. The picture is clear. LA was just 1 of a very large peloton of cheaters. Just stop giving him all this attention . we know his story and all the crap that surrounded him.
sponsorship is for intangibles, intangibles that return in a positive annuity into future.

Armstrong "biggest sports fraud in history" just inverted that annuity for USPS.

time to join up with arthur andersen.

wut? whoops

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Thanks for that. Another conspiracy theory? :rolleyes:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ian-thorpe-test-result-unusual/story-e6freuy9-1111113259837

ian-thorpe-5434873.jpg

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
sponsorship is for intangibles, intangibles that return in a positive annuity into future.

Armstrong "biggest sports fraud in history" just inverted that annuity for USPS.

time to join up with arthur andersen.

wut? whoops

Everybody loved the Enron dream! Didn't they?

My favourite was the CFO who spent $2 million on strippers using company credit cards. Smart chap married one of them! :D

Arthur Andersen had the play book down well and pat. When the Feds come a knockin, shred a million pieces of paper that day. And that children, is part of one of the greatest tales of deception in USA corporate history. Also has a nice ringer in there about how Enron inadvertently (or was it deliberately) helped get the Governor elected in California.

For more viewing pleasure, and yes it's a good view, do go grab a copy of the documentary titled "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room." A great story nobody should be deprived of. Laughs galore! ;)

Armstrong might have learnt a thing or two from Kenneth Lay and his boys!

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

My favourite was the CFO who spent $2 million on strippers using company credit cards. Smart chap married one of them! :D

Arthur Andersen had the play book down well and pat. When the Feds come a knockin, shred a million pieces of paper that day. And that children, is part of one of the greatest tales of deception in USA corporate history. Also has a nice ringer in there about how Enron inadvertently (or was it deliberately) helped get the Governor elected in California.

For more viewing pleasure, and yes it's a good view, do go grab a copy of the documentary titled "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room." A great story nobody should be deprived of. Laughs galore! ;)

The question is just. Where is Kenneth Lay today. Behind bars og enjoying millions on a beach in the Bahamas?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

actually, read the books.

and kan lay helped GW Dubbya get elected in Texas and Whitehouse, no wonder he was gonna be named Energy Secretary in DC. I forget her name, the author who blew it first at Fortune, but negative she was first an association at Goldmans. I put all those authors into the black buying their books in the first week. i had three or four enron reads, just like Assange. bethany mclean sounds familar. better goodle the name

TRENDING THREADS