• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Word Filter/Censorship

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
gregod said:
I concur that the word filter is a bit aggressive. I tried to post something about a Japanese rider named Taiji Nishitani and the word filter put this up --> Ni****ani . I guess this was because the middle of his name contains s, h, i and t consecutively.

Someone tried to post saltwater yesterday... :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
well, cyclingnews.com and I think most of us here would rather this site not be banned from schools- so filtering out unecessary words is a small price to pay. There are plenty of other sites, like the hills in the boonies, where one can go and yell expletives till the sun goes down. I am glad for the civility here.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
well, cyclingnews.com and I think most of us here would rather this site not be banned from schools- so filtering out unecessary words is a small price to pay. There are plenty of other sites, like the hills in the boonies, where one can go and yell expletives till the sun goes down. I am glad for the civility here.

two points: first, filtering out names or parts of names or words is unnecessary. e.g. Dick Pound, Nishitani, saltwater.

second, use, or lack thereof, of expletives does not necessarily mean discourse is civil. as a frequenter of two other fora, one on science, one on politics, both of which do nothing to filter language, i find the discourse here far more often results in recriminations, accusations, whining, and so on, than those sites.

It just goes to show the old aphorism, the more trivial the subject, the greater the passion.