• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Champs January 29th

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will become World Champion

• An Outsider (not mentioned in the previous cat)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, Alberts really dominated, really impressive and slightly unexpected....by me anyways. Peeters taking silver is a surprise.

Nys really faded on the 2nd last lap, did something happen or was it a sign of his declining form the past few weeks.

Stybar obviously the big disappointment and Mourey to a lesser extent.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This race was deadly for cyclo cross.

Who is to blame here though? Certainly can't fault the Belgian riders, they're just doing what they do best. Stybar had a bad day, though he really needs to make a choice between the road or cyclo-cross. For the future of the sport though I hope he chooses the latter. He can't keep comparing himself to Boom because the latter has obviously chosen the road, factoring in just a handful of cyclo-cross races into his preparation for the road season. I also hope that the Dutch and maybe the French will become a force to reckon with in the elite category in a couple of year's time.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Well the race in Koksijde is geared towards the strength of the Belgian riders, plus its not that Belgium doesn't dominate the season so its not that sursprising. Stybar will focus on roadcycling from now on so there will maybe be even less competition from other countries, on the other hand the Netherlands seem to have a lot of talent coming through.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

As long as Korfbal still exists you don't need to worry about cyclo-cross death ;)

In a few years Lars van der Haar will be a force to be reckoned with, so chill out.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I like how *stupid race interviewer dude* asked Marianne Vos if she felt she was killing the sport with her dominance, and then 7 Belgians outclass the field of the pros and he doesn't dare ask such a question. What a moron.

Niels Albert will not become world champion in mountainbike, WC cyclocross, WC on the road, win the Giro, track WC, win all Olympic medals, etc though, so the interviewer has a point.

El Pistolero said:
Niels Albert will not become world champion in mountainbike, WC cyclocross, WC on the road, win the Giro, track WC, win all Olympic medals, etc though, so the interviewer has a point.

As I mentioned before about the total Belgian domination in the elite category today, you cannot blame the rider. They are just doing what they do best. It is a stupid question, I mean he's working a moot angle. Marianne is on a whole other level compared to the rest, what would you have her do?. The UCI will not let her race with the men - which is a *** notion anyway if you ask me - so there is not much else she can do. Other than that she's as ambitious as any other champion that has tasted victory. She wants it all, can you blame her?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
As I mentioned before about the total Belgian domination in the elite category today, you cannot blame the rider. They are just doing what they do best. It is a stupid question, I mean he's working a moot angle. Marianne is on a whole other level compared to the rest, what would you have her do?. The UCI will not let her race with the men - which is a *** notion anyway if you ask me - so there is not much else she can do. Other than that she's as ambitious as any other champion that has tasted victory. She wants it all, can you blame her?

I don't blame her, I think she's a great athlete in a not so great sport(for women).

theyoungest said:
I don't hate it, I just know I have to take the commentary with a grain of salt, unlike you. I like to use my own eyes.

And as for a Belgian newspaper reporting on Van der Haar's post race comments...

At the studio with VNK, van der Haar did say Bosmans was the best in the sand, period. Does not mean he was the best overall. Unlike has been mentioned here, he did not wait for Lars to come back before the sprint, he just couldn't keep up. So Lars was a deserved winner.

theyoungest said:
Wubben is nowhere near as talented as Van der Heijden, who was junior world champ. It's more difficult to break through in MTB, due to a much stronger field, but I think he'll try.

I know that. Wubben couldn't keep up with the best in mtb and that's why Groenendaal advised him to come to cyclocross. I've seen van der Heijden in a handful of mtb events last summer and he could deal with the likes of Van Hoovels and Nys. Of course he's much younger but that's not really the top mtb field.

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
The UCI will not let her race with the men - which is a *** notion anyway if you ask me -

especially since the women compete at a level thats lower then male juniors, on tv they said that the women's first lap was 50 secondes slower then the first lap of the juniors

Echoes said:
I know that. Wubben couldn't keep up with the best in mtb and that's why Groenendaal advised him to come to cyclocross. I've seen van der Heijden in a handful of mtb events last summer and he could deal with the likes of Van Hoovels and Nys. Of course he's much younger but that's not really the top mtb field.
No. But as you say, he's still very young. And technically he's very strong.

Mich78BEL said:
especially since the women compete at a level thats lower then male juniors, on tv they said that the women's first lap was 50 secondes slower then the first lap of the juniors
That's irrelevant... the course was more difficult today, Vos wasn't on her best day, and she wasn't under any pressure at all. You can only really compare if they ride in the same race.

Plus the idea was that Vos should ride men's races to become stronger, not to beat the men.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Did I say I was surprised? On the contrary, I said Van der Haar wasn't his usual dominating self Saterday.

As for Van der Poel being Dutch. He has a French mother and a Dutch father. He grew up in Flanders and has a Flemish accent. You decide whether he's Dutch, French or whatever. Should we say French domination? He's family of Raymond Poulidor by the way. But whatever, call me ignorant then...

was just trollin'

and yep, i'll take van der poel as a dutchy ;)

---

pretty boring elite race. the winner was known by lap 1 :eek:
but belgium were incredible, top 7. insane.

it was on aussie tv (eurosport) first time I've watched cx in english :p

theyoungest said:
To get that as the first question after just becoming world champion... it's just a disgrace.

+1

El Pistolero said:
Did I say I was surprised? On the contrary, I said Van der Haar wasn't his usual dominating self Saterday.

As for Van der Poel being Dutch. He has a French mother and a Dutch father. He grew up in Flanders and has a Flemish accent. You decide whether he's Dutch, French or whatever. Should we say French domination? He's family of Raymond Poulidor by the way. But whatever, call me ignorant then...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you'd be willing to work any angle in order to take something away from the Dutch achievements this past week-end. He could have grown up in China for all I care, as long as he's wearing that orange, tricolor striped kit he rides for the Dutch, and will be celebrated as such. Just as I'm sure many Belgians have celebrated Dutch-born naturalized Belgian Bart Veldkamp (Speed skating) and Elco van der Geest (Judo) in their successes. Van der Poel has zero Flemish genes and no cycling talent from his mother's side of the family as far as I know. Thus, he's more Dutch than anything else. The Flemish accent argument is ludicrous as one is bound to pick up the accent from wherever you grow up. However, it does not constitute your origins. What a preposterous argument really. Other than the elite category it was simply Dutch domination.

At the very least, Marianne Vos should not have to answer questions from idiots. That sort of question is insulting and reeks of mixture of jealousy and stupidity, the kind most often seen in American politicians.

The Dutch and Belgians have a reason to celebrate this weekend's accomplishments. Chapeau to both countries.

Spine Concept said:
Van der Poel has zero Flemish genes and no cycling talent from his mother's side of the family as far as I know.

This man wants a word with you:
Raymond_Poulidor_300.jpg

;)

Fus087 said:
This man wants a word with you:
Raymond_Poulidor_300.jpg

;)

You conveniently did not highlight the part where I said ''as far as I know''. I did not research his mother's side of the family or anything. Pistolero did mention Poulidor, but it's hard to take it as a fact after knowing the intent of his post. Guess I should have looked into it. Thanks for that though. He's got the genes from both sides of the family then. Good on him and Dutch cyclo-cross ;)

Spine Concept said:
You conveniently did not highlight the part where I said ''as far as I know''. I did not research his mother's side of the family or anything. Pistolero did mention Poulidor, but it's hard to take it as a fact after knowing the intent of his post. Guess I should have looked into it. Thanks for that though. He's got the genes from both sides of the family then. Good on him and Dutch cyclo-cross ;)
Dude, that was a bit of a fail ;)

Doesn't take anything away from your argument though. Even if Van der Poel had a Colombian father and a Zimbabwean mother, and grew up in Papua New Guinea, who cares? If he's Dutch he's Dutch.