• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World class - Roger Federer

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Havent got the link ....but .. anyone see Roger serve at that guys head and hiy the can off ...... modern day "whats his name" with the arrow and apple !!!!! :eek:

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Barracuda said:
Havent got the link ....but .. anyone see Roger serve at that guys head and hiy the can off ...... modern day "whats his name" with the arrow and apple !!!!! :eek:

Saw it on SKY news this morning, looks unbelievable and wouldnt surprise me if it was fake... apparently he avoided the question... :cool:

At first i thought that was Fabian Cancellara (with the can on the head)

Sounds very similar to the Andy Roddick powerade incident which purely coincidentaly of course, also occured in an advert. There Roddick gets a line call against him, so he drinks a powerade, and his next serve is so hard that the ball gets jammed in the court.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqox4TLYLs&p=FC926A58C9B979E4&playnext=1&index=22

Otherwise move to the clinic;)

Barracuda said:

al_pacino said:
William Tell.

unfortunately I do scent a touch of fakeness with this.

Michielveedeebee said:
maybe fake because it is at the gilette advertising site:p but it still looks nice! :D

catmiles said:
Saw it on SKY news this morning, looks unbelievable and wouldnt surprise me if it was fake... apparently he avoided the question... :cool:

I cant believe people are actually contemplating the possibility that this might be real.

So what, federer is such a cool guy that he walks around David Blaine style in a suit with his Wilson Six.One Tour BLX racket, performing tennis tricks on amazed mortals. And as it happens, as he is showing off, a proffessional camera man happens to be present at the location, and happens to start filming just as Federer starts talking about Hawk Eye. Then of all the millions of individuals who could potentialy get hold of or hear about the incident, Gillete, the shaving company, which happens to have a large sponsorship deal with Federer dating back years, gets hold of the tape and nobody in the world heard anything about it.

And as far as the " the commercial was planned, but the trick was real" idea goes, Federers years of serve training have taught him how to correctly get a ball into a 4 by 6 metre service box not how to blast cans of peoples heads.

The service motion he is using is precisely for that. Getting the ball into the service box. The angle Federers serve in the ad goes, it would end up landing outside the baseline, and would require a different technique to the one federer has mastered.
and certainatly not in a suit twice in a row.Not to mention magicians have done similar but better tricks without the aide of cameras, and adverts have a history of decieving viewers.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
who knows. often if too good to be true it also turns out that way.

so to make us believe they shall show the 25 attempts during which Roger didn't hit the can or his head or whatever :D

but then again, if Roger turns out to be a faker or cheater... hard to imagine...

I guess they had a clear idea to do the clip this way but whether it is edited or real only God and Roger knows...

In any way... cool video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl3U6aSd2w&hd=1

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I cant believe people are actually contemplating the possibility that this might be real.

So what, federer is such a cool guy that he walks around David Blaine style in a suit with his Wilson Six.One Tour BLX racket, performing tennis tricks on amazed mortals. And as it happens, as he is showing off, a proffessional camera man happens to be present at the location, and happens to start filming just as Federer starts talking about Hawk Eye. Then of all the millions of individuals who could potentialy get hold of or hear about the incident, Gillete, the shaving company, which happens to have a large sponsorship deal with Federer dating back years, gets hold of the tape and nobody in the world heard anything about it.

And as far as the " the commercial was planned, but the trick was real" idea goes, Federers years of serve training have taught him how to correctly get a ball into a 4 by 6 metre service box not how to blast cans of peoples heads.

The service motion he is using is precisely for that. Getting the ball into the service box. The angle Federers serve in the ad goes, it would end up landing outside the baseline, and would require a different technique to the one federer has mastered.
and certainatly not in a suit twice in a row.Not to mention magicians have done similar but better tricks without the aide of cameras, and adverts have a history of decieving viewers.

Wow .... all I said was that the add was good !!!!1:eek:

Wasnt expecting a tirade on whether it was real and Rogers perceived fakeness !!

Just a comment on the add.

Bit like how I liked the Tiger Woods add with the pitching wedge.

Clever people or clever adds .... all good. Good entertainment!!

:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

and certainatly not in a suit twice in a row...

So... if I understand what you are saying correctly, you are essentially arguing that its ridiculous that Roger would have spent any time practising tricks that weren't direct tennis shots - even though he spends ridiculous time on a court each day and would clearly get bored. He clearly practised the between the legs cross court shot and some would argue taht was equally a waste of time.

...but we all know it was quite acceptable 10 years ago for the advertisers to notice Tiger Woods doing an amazing juggling trick with his pitching wedge and smacking the ball out of the air, and then build an advertising campagin around it.

Can't you allow for the possibility that Gillette desided to recreate that scenario for the historical effect - but that the trick itself is real?

but then again.. maybe it IS fake... I'm just saying, why the certainty?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think people are focussed on the wrong person in this real/fake discussion on the ad. Maybe Fed can hit a can with a serve, maybe he can't.....but the idea that some random floor assistant for an ad wouldn't flinch as a ball is hit directly at his head at 150kh/h is plainly a sign of techno trickery. IMO

I dislike how I can't dislike Federer.

That's the problem with these clean-cut, good-looking, charm-balled, big-chinned and ever-so-polite Swiss like Canc and Federer. If they don't totally disarm your near-nuclear capability for virulent critiques, then neither your wife nor your mother will hear a bad word said about them anyway. :p

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
I think people are focussed on the wrong person in this real/fake discussion on the ad. Maybe Fed can hit a can with a serve, maybe he can't.....but the idea that some random floor assistant for an ad wouldn't flinch as a ball is hit directly at his head at 150kh/h is plainly a sign of techno trickery. IMO

Exactly. The idea that a British (the film crew are British) health and safety officer would let them even attempt this stunt without the guy wearing loads of protection is frankly ludicrous. That's what proves it's not real, not whether or not Federer could pull off the trick.

la.margna said:
who knows. often if too good to be true it also turns out that way.

so to make us believe they shall show the 25 attempts during which Roger didn't hit the can or his head or whatever :D

but then again, if Roger turns out to be a faker or cheater... hard to imagine...

I guess they had a clear idea to do the clip this way but whether it is edited or real only God and Roger knows...

In any way... cool video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl3U6aSd2w&hd=1

I gotta say thats harder than it looks. It took me 9 attempts before i could knock the bottle off my ex-girlfriends head:D

TRENDING THREADS