• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 239 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2010
Visit site
on Criminal Minds tv show the other day there was a line.. "your ear rings are nice" (girl beams for the compliment) "my grandmother liked fake jewelry too"

""Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC) says political rhetoric doesn't really incite violent behavior at all -- but not before describing Arizona shooting suspect Jared Loughner as a "communist" and "the liberal of liberals."

"This guy appears to be a communist," Foxx told the Winston-Salem Journal. "His beliefs are the liberal of the liberals . There is no evidence whatsoever that this man was influenced by Sarah Palin or anybody in the Republican Party. This man is not a conservative; he's a fan of communism - that's the opposite of conservatism."

In ascribing affirmative political views to Loughner, Foxx is going farther than her colleagues. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), by contrast, only claimed Loughner doesn't appear to be a Tea Party member.

"I don't think members of Congress incite that kind of rhetoric," Foxx added. "I don't think the things we say incite that kind of behavior. And I don't know that the things other people say incite it. I just think we have deranged individuals in this country and occasionally they do bad things."""

bertrams.jpg

The Hitch said:
Ok.

Whats that got to do with accusing anyone who offers a different opinion of watching fox news?

So the guy who killed the woman probably was influenced by right wingers and it would be nice to discredit them. My post wasnt about that. It was a responce to a certain poster immediately accusing Glen of watching too much fox news, the second a counter opinion is posted.

watch Fox News, then get back me.

Thoughtforfood said:
Actually, this had nothing to do with politics or marijuana. This was the result of mental illness. There is no indication that he had a coherent political philosophy, and it appears that he intended to kill himself as part of this, and was unable to do so because his weapon malfunctioned or maybe because he chickened out. There is absolutely no indication he had any more targets.

I think everyone discussing this should watch Jon Stewart's response and ask yourself if exploiting this for political purposes is appropriate. Yes, the political discourse in the US is overly caustic at this point, but that had nothing to do with this. Sarah Palin had nothing to do with this. This was mental illness looking for a way to express itself.
i disagree. the current climate in Arizona allowed this mental case, the extra push he needed to do what he did. he knew what he was doing. he does not seem to be part of an organized group, but that is not the point. the internet
is the biggest group out there and you can see all the wacky stuff you want.
have you read his youtube posts? clearly some right wing influence with the references to grammar and the Federal Reserve among others. he is very disturbed sure, but a lot of crazy people don't do what he did.

A

Anonymous

But it's perfectly ok to throw around the terms bigot, racist, homophobe, wacko, extremist, etc.

And of course this kind of stuff:

Bush_is_the_disease.jpg

nooseLastMohican.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

Yep, the only crazy partisans are on the right.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Joe Wilson Special

""S.C. Company Sells Engraved “You Lie” Component For AR-15 Rifle

by Corey Hutchins, January 11th 04:07pm

A South Carolina gun and accessories company is selling semi-automatic rifle components inscribed with “You lie” – a tribute to the infamous words of 2nd District Republican Congressman Joe Wilson when he shouted at President Barack Obama during a congressional speech about national health care reform in the fall of 2009.

“Palmetto State Armory would like to honor our esteemed congressman Joe Wilson with the release of our new ‘You Lie’ AR-15 lower receiver,” reads a portion of the company’s website.

The product “is neither endorsed nor affiliated with Joe Wilson or his campaign,” according to a line of text at the bottom of the page. A picture of Wilson holding a rifle and standing in the company's gun shop appears on the same page. The company offers the components, marked “MULTI to accommodate most builds,” for $99.95 apiece. ""

usedtobefast said:
you like to obfuscate the issue don't you? i said "Watch Fox News, then get back to me". i don't care if you agree with me or not. i see you are in London, maybe you don't get it there.

You seem to be a bit lost.

I made a point about some posters accusing others baselessly of watching fox news. This had nothing to do with any ongoing political inciednt.

Your responce to me was as follows

usedtobefast said:
if you pay attention to the mass media here in the US, then you know that this guy was pushed over the edge, by hate mongers at Fox News and others.
Rush Limbaugh is not on Fox. Arizona is an over the top gun toting state.
he could have gone anywhere and shot up the place. he did not. he went
to a Federal Government gathering and did. Gifford was his first target.

Nothing to do with my point. I tried to point that out for you here:

The Hitch said:
Ok.

Whats that got to do with accusing anyone who offers a different opinion of watching fox news?

So the guy who killed the woman probably was influenced by right wingers and it would be nice to discredit them. My post wasnt about that. It was a responce to a certain poster immediately accusing Glen of watching too much fox news, the second a counter opinion is posted.

And then this is what you tell me.
usedtobefast said:
watch Fox News, then get back me.

So ill repeat. I wasnt talking about Gifford or Arizona or the federal state or any such matter.

All i said was that its WRONG to cheaply dismiss and ACCUSE others of watching fox news when they offer a different opinion.

So when you give me the response "watch Fox News, then get back me" I can only conclude that you dont think its wrong to launch these ad hominem attacks on others.

If you want to talk about something different, maybe you should quote posts more directly related to your subject matter.

Hugh Januss said:
We can talk about both sides being bad, but only one puts gunsights on their political targets, only one kills doctors in the name of "Right To Live". The fact is the right incites while the left merely promises more than it delivers (and that mostly due to the machinations from the right).
If a private citizen did what Palin's crowd did they would either be in jail or have a full time FBI tail on them.

Unfortunately this is untrue. For the extreme left has had a history of violent political terrorism too. The only difference being that its impetus has been found in an intellectual movement against the explotative measures and privlidges of a conservative and occultish political class, who compulsorily acts against the interests of the "common people." The contemproary far right, by contrast, does its violence in the sheer name of popular oppression (when necessity demands), or else against those progressive "liberal" ideas whose political views go against a conservative and often racist and bigoted world view in their quest for returning to a "pure" and "idyllic" lost state.

Though noticably differentiating the two is the fact that the left reacts against a perceived "injustice", while the right is obsessed with returning to a state of lost "justice" and rigid order. And here the acts of Arizona clearly fall within the latter category. To many this type of violence, if no more immoral, seems inspired to a greater degree from brainless violence for its own sake --as not a last ditch effort to deal with an intolerable situation (whether perceived or real), but the first recourse to action because it is simply "the way" of dealing with the enemy. The one kills for "change," the other to prevent it from happening or to stop an inexorable progress of culture, viewpoints, etc. In today's West the left has decidedly lost its revolutionary calling, while the right is ever more bold in allowing the more fascist elements within to have a greater outspoken voice.

In the resistance anti-Nazi movements of WWII, often the victims of Nazi reprisal would simply have their family members notified by terse messages noting, with Teutonic precission, that Mr. So and So died on March 24, 1944 --"Ist am 24-3-1944 gestorben."

Cold heartlessness, without humanity nor concern, exactly how the zealous gun of anti-solidarity was fired upon a political target in remote Arizona. That it came from the hands of a lone and mentally unstable maniac, only allows us to appreciate how the extreme right needs no commrades nor manifsto to act upon the most violent and destrctive impulses in its nature. But merely the popular vulgarity of a few ideologues, whose voices have a legitimate place in the cultural debates and rhetoric of the media industry, are enough to instigate the masacre; together with a vocation for the solitary demi-hero of fascist lore who acts in the name of the so called values of his forebearers.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Unfortunately this is untrue. For the extreme left has had a history of violent political terrorism too. The only difference being that its impetus has been found in an intellectual movement against the explotative measures and privlidges of a conservative and occultish political class, who compulsorily acts against the interests of the "common people." The contemproary far right, by contrast, does its violence in the sheer name of popular oppression (when necessity demands), or else against those progressive "liberal" ideas whose political views go against a conservative and often racist and bigoted world view in their quest for returning to a "pure" and "idyllic" lost state.

The violence of the extreme left SDS Weather Black Panthers CWP barely deserves a footnote compared to Republican Hero Tim McVeigh. In fact just "isolated" right wing violence this year overshadows the entire history of extreme left violence in this country.

Thoughtforfood said:
That guy knows 20 people who agree with him.

This guy has 20 million listeners and says things that are just as crazy. You cannot equate the two.

PH2009030603442.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-loughner-full-support-democrat_n_807543.html

...but interestingly, both dig oxycontin

Yeah id say this is correct. There is no difficulty finding left wingers in america who say despicable things. But where your reverend wright has a few hundred members of his church, Billy Gragham or Jerry Fallwell have thousands.

Its sad but true that a person who says the things Limbaugh says has that many listeners and is that popular. I never got what so many people like about him. Hes not particularly intelligent and talks crap. He doesnt even have any special charisma. Someone like Senator Rubio with his charm and wit, i can understand right wingers falling for, but Limbaugh???

Left wing acts of violence in this country have usually been done by small groups of overly idealistic individuals, who thankfully are generally not very good at it. Violence from the right is usually the providence of genuine crazies who are spurred on to take action by the words of the major right wing talking heads who's reach and audience is huge and under educated. They don't mean to elicit the response that they do (I don't believe) but they are concentrating on keeping the masses stirred up to the point where they don't notice that nothing that their leaders do ever benefits them in any real way.

The Hitch said:
You seem to be a bit lost.

I made a point about some posters accusing others baselessly of watching fox news. This had nothing to do with any ongoing political inciednt.

Your responce to me was as follows

Nothing to do with my point. I tried to point that out for you here:

And then this is what you tell me.

So ill repeat. I wasnt talking about Gifford or Arizona or the federal state or any such matter.

All i said was that its WRONG to cheaply dismiss and ACCUSE others of watching fox news when they offer a different opinion.

So when you give me the response "watch Fox News, then get back me" I can only conclude that you dont think its wrong to launch these ad hominem attacks on others.

If you want to talk about something different, maybe you should quote posts more directly related to your subject matter.
point taken.

also here is some info on someone who appears to be an influence on Loughner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wynn_Miller

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Then the parents of my cheney loving Palin lusting neighbors took them to picket and wave confederate flags outside Parkland Memorial Hospital..
----------------------------------------

""Uncle Jack's speech in Dallas was to have been an explosive broadside against the right wing. He found Dallas' streets packed five deep with Kennedy Democrats, but among them were the familiar ornaments of presidential hatred; high-flying confederate flags and hundreds of posters adorning the walls and streets of Dallas showing Jack's picture inscribed with "Wanted for Treason." One man held a posterboard saying, "you a traitor ." Other placards accused him of being a communist. When public school P.A. systems announced Jack's assassination, Dallas school children as young as the fourth grade applauded."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/post_1548_b_807713.html

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah id say this is correct. There is no difficulty finding left wingers in america who say despicable things. But where your reverend wright has a few hundred members of his church, Billy Gragham or Jerry Fallwell have thousands.

Your? reverend wright?????

seriously? Wouldn't know him if he walked up to me on the street... Would have never known of him without the RW foghorn...Left wing? Is left a skin color to you?

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
Your? reverend wright?????

seriously? Wouldn't know him if he walked up to me on the street... Would have never known of him without the RW foghorn...Left wing? Is left a skin color to you?

Ah, yes. Your favorite play.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
and you've never heard of April Glaspie...lol.. go have more beer,,you're missing hannity or O'Really aren't you?

You are well versed in Fox programming and are, without doubt, the Forum's Rush Limbaugh expert. Not bad for someone (you) who foams at the mouth.

I think you are a closet conservative with a self loathing streak. Don't worry about paying me for a diagnosis you so desperately need. This one's on me.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
Koolaid with everclear probably...

Not my style. I actully like the taste of a great beer... and there are so many.

You might benefit from a good beer. A lot.

Scott SoCal said:
But it's perfectly ok to throw around the terms bigot, racist, homophobe, wacko, extremist, etc.

And of course this kind of stuff:

Bush_is_the_disease.jpg

nooseLastMohican.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

Yep, the only crazy partisans are on the right.

Of course the major point your rather puerile and purely instrumental comparison neglects to make, is that none of these folks would probably have acted upon, or in any case have not acted upon, such sentiments. This can not be said of the right-wing nutter/s in question. A key point which you have conveniently overlooked. Plus even for hypothetical argumentation sake, what case could our right-wing fascist have made against his Arizona political target from the left before perpetrating his cold and merciless act, versus that which could have been argued by such colorful anarchists above against the former US president, without, however, having ever really acted upon anything? This is what is called a no-brainer, Scott SoCal.

It seems to me, therefore, in the case of the latter that theirs was a legitimate protest against a real criminal, in so far as Bush really has numerous war crimes hanging over his conscience while having tried to hide them behind some spurious legal pretense and, worse, "divine calling"; and thus who debased his religion with a bigoted and immoral casuistry. At the same time he had made a grotesque parody of his national leadership, with international lies while being goaded on by the neocon plaudits. Moreover Bush's illegal war in the Middle East, apart from remaining an eternal black spot on his regime, has been an unpunished offense, for which at least such protesters have rather ironically substituted the quite wanting legal condemnation. Consequently their violent metaphors were simply in proportion to the actual violence and illegality committed. Though they remain just that, metaphors (this aspect of metaphor can not be claimed for the Bush camp however). By contrast, what crime did the Arizona democrat commit? And what was the actual sentence carried out in the absence of all legality against her?

Scott SoCal I have always known you to exhibit a rather marked propensity for being dimwitted, however your total lack of ironic sense in this case, and perspicacity, betrays an alarming and unedited dullard state at which you have arrived since we last conversed, probably as a result of not having continued in our discussions. All of which is naturally quite sad and disturbing.

PS. I too find the extreme imagery (somewhat) distasteful, but also humorous in the ironic sense at the same time. I mean, how could you not? But I can also contextualize it within the intolerable condition of violence and criminal acts caused by, or committed in the name of, the person to whom the imagery was directed - and the exasperation it had caused as a corollary on the part of the more animated sentiments within the opposition. In other words, sometimes extreme injustice demands a rather frank response, though this was in no way the case with Gabrielle Giffords, let alone gunning her down. I do not subscribe to playing nice in all cases, because while at the level of civility it is rather noble, certain situations call for something, such as what was inflicted on us during the Bush years, a bit more jarring. Even if, personally, I'm not one of violence. One could hardly accuse the anti-fascist partisans of over-stepping the lines of decency, for example, in their strikes against Nazi occupiers in Italy, France and Poland during WWII. Any more, to not be partisan in this analysis, than the intellectuals who defied Stalin could be accused of crimes for their actions and for which appallingly ended up on a permanent "vacation" in some Siberian pogrom. Having not arrived at that level, I think we can at least concede these protesters their visual brutality against a man who was surly the worst and most criminal of US presidents. Especially as it was all rather rhetorical and just for show and given that the judicial system failed miserably in bringing the man and his party leadership to task while it still had the chance to make a serious case for indictment against them. Besides how many caricatures and blanket categorizations had Bush and his cronies uttered to brandish the enemy as simply an "Axis of Evil," "Hitlerian," "assassins," etc. Where in some case such descriptive were applicable, in many others it was simply a vile rhetoric used for propagandistic sake and, in any case coming as it was form those hypocritical mouths, lost all moral force and was like the flip side of the same coin of barbarism in retrospect. In such cases the strong language and brutal imagery used by them, has begotten just as strong a language and brutal imagery employed form the opposition protesters you cite above.

Moral: you reap what you sow Scott SoCal, which is why it's always important to think before we speak, especially when coming from the mouths of politicians who hold power over the state during times of crisis. In this the Bush administration committed another one of its great and many crimes. It has always baffled my mind how you conservatives seem so hardly miffed and blase before the revolting and highly illegal praxis of torture by the US military establishment in Iraq and elsewhere throughout the globe, by whichever euphemism the chain of command wishes to call it, but have your ire so worked-up by a few dudes with bad hair-does holding highly satirical posters against a certain leader, to say nothing of the inane stupidity of those superstitious, ignorant and impressionable amoebas on your side who hold up signs accusing Obama of Nazism and tyranny for which god's wrath will see to justice being done. Evidently what one side finds terrifying and abhorrent is highly subjective and will take recourse to every form of sophisticated, however feeble, casuistry and solipsism to make its case. However, in terms of subjectivity, to me it seems that the right is unsurpassed in this mean art. Whereas the sincere left at least makes an honest attempt toward effecting some objectivity when asserting its position.

And just for the record, I'm not even sure the middle example is anti-Bush at all. For it could easily be read as pro-Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, though this is entirely irrelevant.

redtreviso said:
The violence of the extreme left SDS Weather Black Panthers CWP barely deserves a footnote compared to Republican Hero Tim McVeigh. In fact just "isolated" right wing violence this year overshadows the entire history of extreme left violence in this country.

I wasn't actually in disagreement with Hugh, but just wanted to make the point that no political side is completely innocent of any crimes.

Being from the left I tend to see extreme right-wing violence as merely the gratuitous (and rather brainless) praxis of its operative world view, with nothing else to it than that, for all the reasons I mentioned. Whereas the history of violent and revolutionary leftist actions has had at least an intellectual basis behind it, even if this in no way makes the crimes any less criminal in all but the most extreme of cases (for example in the struggle against Hitler or any form of despotism be it from the right or the left). By contrast the thuggish violence of the extreme right can hardly be classified as going against any "oppressive regime state," other than that which stupidly exists in their own underdeveloped and stupid heads, and has usually been merely about "reestablishing order" against the hideous and deplorable ways of a "morally decrepit and progressive" liberal society.

Yet it should also be admitted, however, that the further extreme the left and right become, the more their actions begin to assume the same character and quality while gravitating to a common ground, especially when beginning to take on real power and attaining a high status. This is because the political spectrum is not linear, but circular. While the far left and right commit violent acts at the "revolutionary" level, they remain at 11 o'clock and 1 0'clock respectively from midnight on the ideological time piece. When, however, theirs looses all revolutionary status and simply becomes tha regime governing the state they both tend to reside at, or nearly at, midnight. At this point things become so nuanced as to appear virtually identical and symbiotic.

This is precisely what happened in the Stalinist Soviet Union, for example, for which the actions of his regime stood about as far away from the spirit of true marxism as those of Hitler did from that of real socialism. As the extreme left and right take over the state, the various ideologies that distinguished them become lost in their bloody crimes to extend and maintain power in the totalitarian environment, so that all that remains is the common violence of their criminality. For what did Stalin's authoritarianism represent, other than a fascist communism? Hitler's totalitarianism and semi-religious cult of persona, if not fascist socialism? The moment when marxism was elevated to state power in communist Russia, was the moment that it lost its revolutionary identity. And this led to the deformations that became the cause of an oppressive regime. The same can be said of National Socialism and Fascism, because to both confound and shed light on things further, Hitler and Mussolini each began as socialists, which can't exactly be considered a right-wing ideology at birth. But I digress.

The point I was trying to make was that in the state of a revolutionary movement, it is still easy to distinguish the causes behind and politico-socio objectives of left-wing vs. right-wing violence. Once the revolutionary aspect has been lost and each has taken over the state in assuming governmental power, then it is purly the logic of power itself and its goals of maintenance and management that necessitates the crushing of all opposition against it, rather than any overthrowing objectives in the ideologies behind them, that closes and eventually nullifies the gap between them. I would dare say, in this sense, they both become at one with fascism, which simply means allowing prepotency and arrogance to become the only guiding principles and law of the governors over the governed.

In this sense the left has much more to loose in terms of its humanitarianism and spirit of solidarity among the social classes than does the right, for which prepotency and myopic intransigence are its natural calling, when arriving in total control of the state.

PS. In an ideal state the left should be about tolerance, pluralism, rational laicism (without inhibiting the right for people to exercise their faith if so inclined, with the important caveat of keeping religion in the churches where it belongs and not in the affairs of state) and hold great esteam in democracy. The mainstream right of today has represented traditionally, and generally speaking, the opposite of these principles and cultural values, has an orientation decidedly toward liberal capitalism at the expense of anything with the word social in it and tends to be quite favorable to fiscal interests of the well-off while not so forthcoming regarding those of the poor, and therefore at the latter's expense. And, moreover, something which I find most disagreeable, is that those in power on the right tend to look at the democratic process with great suspicion, when not acting outright hostile against it, as was witnessed in the deciding and rigged electoral outcome in the Florida race between George W. and Al Gore ten years or so ago.

I see it as against all the first reasonings (tolerance, plurality, rational laicism, and democracy), and therefore contrary to all modern sense of civility, that the cretinous talking heads in the right's mass media apparatus and barbarous actions of the few deranged within its flock act against, every time the fascist elements inherent in rightist extremism come to the fore, as we have recently witnessed against an elected democratic representative in the state of Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.