• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CentralCaliBike said:
I do not care much for Obama as President but at least capitalize the title out of respect to the office - it is interesting to see the courtesy of the left, you will capitalize a cartoon but not a title (apparently to show your disdain for the office holder).

Offices do not deserve respect. Neither do people merely because they occupy an office. People deserve respect only if they earn it with actual accomplishments. Deference to authority and mindless support of the administration is what allowed Bush to crap all over the Constitution.

CentralCaliBike said:
McCain would have lost by a far larger margin without Palin, even with the political satire set out by Saturday Night Live.

At least if McCain would have stuck with his supposed principles he could have walked away as a man. Now he will be remembered as a pandering blunderer who made one of the worst political decisions in the history of the Republic.

CentralCaliBike said:
My point, which you apparently chose to ignore, was that she might not be a genius like Biden but she certainly is not mentally impaired.

She maynot be impaired, but she is a moron. You only have to listen to her unrehearsed answers to questions of any complexity to know that she is two tacos short of a combination plate.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Offices do not deserve respect. Neither do people merely because they occupy an office. People deserve respect only if they earn it with actual accomplishments.

So I guess it would be appropriate to forget about capitalizing to title of our current President since he has not provided me with any action worthy of respect.

Also, moron is a psychological definition for someone who is mentally challenged with an actual IQ well under 70.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Offices do not deserve respect. Neither do people merely because they occupy an office. People deserve respect only if they earn it with actual accomplishments. Deference to authority and mindless support of the administration is what allowed Bush to crap all over the Constitution.

At least if McCain would have stuck with his supposed principles he could have walked away as a man. Now he will be remembered as a pandering blunderer who made one of the worst political decisions in the history of the Republic.

She maynot be impaired, but she is a moron. You only have to listen to her unrehearsed answers to questions of any complexity to know that she is two tacos short of a combination plate.

You mean like being a Senator for what, 150 days? How many times did Obama he vote 'present', to afraid to vote 'yes' or 'no'? Accomplishments? Only in the most warped sense.

History has not even started to be written about the Obama admin. My guess is McCain won't be in that position long.

But she garnered the highest ratings for Oprah in at least two years. There are 2.5 million of her books printed and sold 300,000 the first week. That sucks don't it? Gee, there sure are alot of dumb people in the US.

BTW, what's your position on man-made global warming?

CentralCaliBike said:
So I guess it would be appropriate to fdorget about capitalizing to title of our current President since he has not provided me with any action worthy of respect.

Fine by me. I don't get hung up on titles or snappy uniforms like conservative goose steppers who glorify positions of authority.

CentralCaliBike said:
Also, moron is a psychological definition for someone who is mentally challenged with an actual IQ well under 70.

Moron is used commonly in colloquial speech without regard to any formal definition in psychology. Do not pretend not to know that in order to make pedantic and ultimately petty points that are not germane to the discussion..

A

Anonymous

CentralCaliBike said:
Normally I do not do this because I know how the keyboard gets away form me from time to time, but the spelling is "pejorative" ;)

Dumb on the basketball court (State Champions) - so dumb she was unable to go to college and they just gave her a degree out of sympathy - someone thought she was cute so offered her a position in the local government - again, based on her stupidity, she was elected Governor of Alaska - and when offered the opportunity to run for Vice President she only took it because of her husband and a desire to do ask he asked - she signed a book deal think the publisher was a fan asking for an autograph.

I wonder why someone is not calling out her opponents as blatant sexists.:confused:

Oh no you di'int. You did not just call out the left. For they can not be sexist, racist, homphobic, mean-spirtited, heartless, stupid, dumb as a bag of rocks, torturous, greedy, sinful, idotic and moronic... those only the right can be. Just ask the poster here throwing the bombs...

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Fine by me. I don't get hung up on titles or snappy uniforms like conservative goose steppers who glorify positions of authority.

Moron is used commonly in colloquial speech without regard to any formal definition in psychology. Do not pretend not to know that in order to make pedantic and ultimately petty points that are not germane to the discussion..

Can't you sex it up a little and throw in 'brown shirts' or 'jack-booted thugs'?

You are beginning to disappoint.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Interesting that the start of this scintillating discussion of Palin's general intellectual capacity started with your statement that you were not using "dumb" in the perjorative [sp] sense.

CentralCaliBike said:
Someone has a comprehension problem. No military budget means no military, perhaps that is ok with you but I think it might cause some problems around the world. Then there is the fact that the interest payments are still there, and do not forget the actual debt, then one might consider paying down the principle - of course that leaves out the fact that social security is running out of funds as well.

I don't normally do this, but it is principal not principle. A "financial conservative" not knowing the difference does not surprise me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I guess I should not paint an entire political philosophy based on the commentary in a cycling website - but I am just not seeing the famous liberal open minded willingness to accept the merits of those with a different viewpoint. However, I guess the debate still appeals to my pedantic nature, especially since it is so fertile for intellectual comedy and the fact that I am easily amused by those who resort to name calling over argument.

i was thinking we all want the same things in a general sense. the way those
things happen is up for debate, but we all(i think) want what is best for our
family and friends. that is almost a universal hope. the road there, a whole
different question...

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
i was thinking we all want the same things in a general sense. the way those
things happen is up for debate, but we all(i think) want what is best for our
family and friends. that is almost a universal hope. the road there, a whole
different question...

I'll drink to that. Well stated.

CentralCaliBike said:
My kids know the meaning - it is often associated with the word "no" to spending (or at best - let me think about it and tell you no later). :)

I thought it meant "Socialize the losses, privatize the profits." Or maybe "decrease taxes, increase spending." Perhaps "no welfare to people, lots of welfare to corporations." Or "more money for the military, less money for capital investment."

CentralCaliBike said:
Thank you - I hate it when the red line fails to correct for homonyms.

I don't have red lines because I am using a legacy system that I do not want to install a new browser on. I have to do things the old fashion way--you know, by memory. Being a fast but inaccurate typist does not help matters.

CentralCaliBike said:
I guess I should not paint an entire political philosophy based on the commentary in a cycling website - but I am just not seeing the famous liberal open minded willingness to accept the merits of those with a different viewpoint. However, I guess the debate still appeals to my pedantic nature, especially since it is so fertile for intellectual comedy and the fact that I am easily amused by those who resort to name calling over argument.

I'm not a liberal, and I find it hilarious that someone allied with a political party that has spent the last thirty years villifying the word "liberal" and every variation they can think of is upset about other people's invective.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I'm not a liberal, and I find it hilarious that someone allied with a political party that has spent the last thirty years villifying the word "liberal" and every variation they can think of is upset about other people's invective.

You must have missed where I mentioned voting for Perot, twice :D > I have to take the blame for eight years of Clinton according to SoCal. Personally, I thought the third party had a shot.

I might have voted for someone other than Bush and McCain but the remaining choice was far worse IMO.

But, just like the leaders of the right have to take it on the chin when they get caught in a motel with hourly rates, the left should own up to the fact that they are every bit as virulent in their opposition to the viewpoints of the right and anything associated with it.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I thought it meant "Socialize the losses, privatize the profits." Or maybe "decrease taxes, increase spending." Perhaps "no welfare to people, lots of welfare to corporations." Or "more money for the military, less money for capital investment."

Actually, they learn all about taxes when I come home and find them eating ice cream - the government always gets it's share first.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Perhaps appropriate for modern conservatism - modern liberalism seems to follow this path >> "Socialize the losses, privatize the profits." "increase borrowing, increase taxes, so that you can increase spending." "welfare from cradle to grave, lots more welfare to corporations if they are from liberal counties." Or "more money for the military in democratic states, less money for capital investment."

Scott SoCal said:
You mean like being a Senator for what, 150 days? How many times did Obama he vote 'present', to afraid to vote 'yes' or 'no'? Accomplishments? Only in the most warped sense.

History has not even started to be written about the Obama admin. My guess is McCain won't be in that position long.

But she garnered the highest ratings for Oprah in at least two years. There are 2.5 million of her books printed and sold 300,000 the first week. That sucks don't it? Gee, there sure are alot of dumb people in the US.

As H.L. Mencken pointed out "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".
And by the way when it comes to global warming no matter what the cause, if humans can do something to reduce the effects and we don't then we, as a whole are just chimps.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Scott SoCal said:
Picture%201.png

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Inventor that he is, Al Gore could not stop with the internet. I have heard that his new invention is making him a lot more money though. :D

I survived the ice age of the 1970s and it looks fairly certain that I will survive global warming.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How many colleges did she attend to get that degree? Was it:

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

Normally a good bet for multiple choice questions is C, but in this case the answer is E. Five colleges to get a journalism degree. And she cannot name a single newspaper she reads. Her list of books she claims to have read reads like a list of every book that was ever assigned reading during her storied struggle in education.

Her stint as mayor of Wasilla showed what the smart conservative she really was. She increased the debt of the poor little town from $0 to $20M, in part by building a sports complex to aid a political benefactor. She did that in her spare time when she was not trying to prevent the townsfolk from reading books.

As governer she quit under an ethical black cloud, having been found guilty of charging the state the per diem travel rate for living in her own house, using state money to fly her family and friends on far off vacations, and abuse of power as she pursued a vendetta against those who had crossed her family.

As a candidate for vice president, she destroyed John McCain's hopes of being elected, making him a laughing stock among those who had supported him in the past. Her interviews became the stuff of legend as people like Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy travelled the country, stopping at colleges, and getting hearty laughs by merely reading verbatim her answers to simple questions.

Ayup, she is a real mental giant, a beacon for intellectualism in the Republican Party.

I am not a Palin fan, I repeat I am not a fan. I have worked with many engineers that attended night school and some non-traditional students that did not get a degree right after High School. Most are capable and brought some valuable life's experience that is not taught in a traditional classroom setting. I don't understand why the voters are always held in contempt, are they really so stupid as to not to see all the things you point out that make her an idiot? Often people think leadership qualities outweigh a traditional education when politics in the job offered. If all people seeking public office must have reported asap to a 4 year school or can not have had a childhood misstep with the police or life decision we are all F't. Palin's inability to speak publicly while under pressure reveals many things about her, going to more than one school to obtain a degree shows little. Finishing your bachelors in 3 and a half or 4 years certainly does not disqualify you from being an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS