• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 439 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2010
Visit site
""Eyes Once on the Ticker Are Now on the Meter (fmr Wall Streeters work as taxi drivers)

SCOTT CURTIS spent 25 years trading stocks on Wall Street before he lost his job in the recession.

Now he drives a yellow cab, not just to make a living, but also to find his next post: He hangs a hiring pitch in the back seat. “Three interviews so far,” he said with a grin.

At his taxi garage in the South Bronx, Mr. Curtis, 47, shares job-hunting tips with another felled financier, who drives home after shifts to Westchester County in his own car, a BMW. They wave hello to a pal, laid off from JPMorgan, who drives to help pay for her son’s European study-abroad program.

It is a long slide from the trading floor to the driver’s wheel of a taxicab, but these former bankers have adopted a bullish outlook on their new profession. They say taxi driving, with its flexible hours and all-cash wages, is an undervalued asset — and an efficient way to meet potential employers face to face.
""

Thanks to Gramm Leach Bliley stock traders call themselves Bankers and Financiers... "all cash wages"? OH DO TELL.... Anyone here want to leave their name and brag about all cash wages???? Maybe you better call yourself a BANKER first huh??

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Interesting.

I think what they need next is a Lobbyists March. For the masses to march to the homes and businesses of the biggest lobbyists. That might stir up some attention.

I wonder who will be the first to call Blackwater to protect them..

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance?

"Mr. Obama expanded his fundraising lead, ending September with more cash on hand than the entire Republican field...Mr. Obama raised about half of his money via small donations...[Romney] continued to attract a greater share of large donors than other Republicans, but had less success among small-dollar donors."

If there is an "enthusiasm gap", so far it looks to be on the Republican side.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Eta: International talks held to discuss end of group

An internationally-backed conference seen as a possible prelude to the dissolution of the militant Basque separatist group Eta has opened in northern Spain.

Those attending include ex-UN chief Kofi Annan, but the Spanish government is not officially represented.

Several Spanish ministers have said they support the conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15330766

If anything it will be a Sinn Fein type agreement especially with Bertie Ahern and Gerry Adams attending.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Robert Bork is one of Romney's legal advisors? So much for Romney being the only semi-sane one in the Republican field.

I wonder if that "money changers" thingy was left out of the LDS scriptures.

mitt-romney-bain-capital.jpg

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
I wonder what Fox News and the rest of right thinking, conservative America would make of FDR in 2011?

Second-bill-of-rights.jpg

Why didn't FDR just go for broke with;

1. A Fantastic Job. Or no job. You choose.
2. A Fantastic Wage and a Fabulous Living.
3. A Fabulous Home.
4. Cutting Edge Medical Care.
5. Economic Protection at All Time, No Matter What.
6. An Education Second to None. Guaranteed.

I mean, these are rights, right?

Scott SoCal said:

1. A Fantastic Job. Or no job. You choose.
2. A Fantastic Wage and a Fabulous Living.
3. A Fabulous Home.

ok silly man,lets grab a brew.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

In most developed countries, these three essentially are rights, more or less, and why some people in the US don't want them to be here too is beyond me.

btw...Americans shouldn't have the right to the best education? What would you prefer?

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
"Experts" in the plural. And most legal experts agree that Bork is effin' nuts.

Ummmkay. Should be easy to prove most legal experts agree that Bork is effin' nuts.

By "most" I'll settle for 50% plus one, if that's ok with you.

Do you get that you think anyone who disagrees with you is sub-standard in their thinking? You must be a tough guy to be around... I mean knowing everything and all.

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
In most developed countries, these three essentially are rights, more or less, and why some people in the US don't want them to be here too is beyond me.

btw...Americans shouldn't have the right to the best education? What would you prefer?

Oh, dude, you mis-understand. These absolutely are my rights and I want you to pay for all of it.

So get to it. I'm missing a few guarantees that are my right and I'm pissed about it.

Scott SoCal said:
Ummmkay. Should be easy to prove most legal experts agree that Bork is effin' nuts.

By "most" I'll settle for 50% plus one, if that's ok with you.

Do you get that you think anyone who disagrees with you is sub-standard in their thinking? You must be a tough guy to be around... I mean knowing everything and all.

Scott, you seem like a nice enough guy but come on.......
This is just too funny.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Oh, dude, you mis-understand. These absolutely are my rights and I want you to pay for all of it.
Still curious, if you don't believe that they are rights, what do you believe? That no one has a right to health care or education? And if they're not rights, then are they privileges? Health care and high-quality education are only for those who can afford such things?

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
Scott, you seem like a nice enough guy but come on.......
This is just too funny.

Yep. That was over the top. My apologies to all who read it.

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
Still curious, if you don't believe that they are rights, what do you believe? That no one has a right to health care or education? And if they're not rights, then are they privileges? Health care and high-quality education are only for those who can afford such things?

Lessee..., do I have a right to a job? A 'decent' home (not sure how 'decent' is defined here).... If those are rights then mine have been violated. I think I need an attorney.

Hmmm, do you mean in the same context as Life and Liberty? If life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are God given, then are these 6 as well? And why just these 6? I can think of many more. Shouldn't I have a right to a 'decent' retirement?

We all pay for heathcare and education in one way or another, don't we? BTW, if healthcare is a right then why the hell am I paying such a high insurance premium?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Lessee..., do I have a right to a job? A 'decent' home (not sure how 'decent' is defined here).... If those are rights then mine have been violated. I think I need an attorney.
Again, if health care and education are not rights, what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS