• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

World Politics

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
Susan Westemeyer said:
After having lived for so long outside of the US, I have to agree with this statement, at least as far as the fact that most Americans do feel this way. This attitude, along with that expressed by CentralCaliBikes about things being a "war" between the US and the rest of the world, make me happy that I no longer live in the US.

Susan
I am not trying to draw you into a disagreement, but I live across the street from a couple of kids who were born in Germany. I considered them close friends since we did grow up together, went to school together and even worked together. They occasionally complained about the US and clearly felt that their European culture was superior to that of the US. When I went to college I had a number of foreign friends and was active in the International Students group; again I found most felt the culture they came from was superior. I had a Korean professor who happily told the class that Oriental culture was far superior to that of the US and that Asians had significantly higher IQ averages. I know there are those who feel it is the US and is superior at every level - but you will find those people in every country around the world.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
titan_90 said:
Christian Fundamentalists scare me more the Islamic Fundamentalists do any day.
If you were walking around the streets Jerusalem or Cairo - would you be scared of getting blown up by a Christian fundamentalist?
 
Mar 11, 2009
664
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
If you were walking around the streets Jerusalem or Cairo - would you be scared of getting blown up by a Christian fundamentalist?
I don't live in Jerusalem or Cairo. I live in the USA where Christian Fundamentalists live have political power and are trying to get more. What about these guys?
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
titan_90 said:
I don't live in Jerusalem or Cairo. I live in the USA where Christian Fundamentalists live have political power and are trying to get more. What about these guys?
I am pretty happy with the Constitution that separates Church and State and have always thought that the combination of any religion with the State police and military powers leads to violence and persecution (just look at the middle east for modern day examples), however, at this moment the Constitution still prevents the link. I know some out there would like to change that situation - I believe even they would not like the world they created if that were to happen. However, it was not fundamentalist Christians who took out the Twin Towers or are bombing buses in Jerusalem and the markets in Cairo.
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I think I will wait until Ann Coulter straps a bomb on her 14 or 15 year old and sends them to blow up the Muslims.
But I suppose her like-thinking neocons killing civilians with bombs dropped from planes is fine by you.

Dead is dead. It does not matter whether it comes from a bullet, a missile, or a bomb.

Scott SoCal said:
I have a better idea. You stay and I'll go. What was mildly entertaining is now becoming mildly offensive with stuff like this "Perhaps the U.S. needs some invadin'. ".

I'll show myself out.
Let me see. Your staunch defense of the unprovoked invasion of Iraq that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people is okay, but someone makes a facetious crack about the U.S. needing invasion and you are horrified. I guess it shows where your priorities lie.
 
CentralCaliBike said:
Sorry to see you leave - much has been entertaining on this thread. Certainly the views BroDeal recently expressed are offensive but I am not in favor either forcing him to think differently (if that could be done) or letting him comment without pointing out the fundamental flaws in that logic, since there might be others out there who are unfamiliar but willing to listen to an opposing viewpoint.
BAck again.

Actually CentralCaliBike's comments are about the only ones I have read in this thread.

I am leaving this thread simply because I prefer not to discuss such matters publicly, not because of anything anyone here has posted.

Susan
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
BroDeal said:
But I suppose her like-thinking neocons killing civilians with bombs dropped from planes is fine by you.

Dead is dead. It does not matter whether it comes from a bullet, a missile, or a bomb.
I already mentioned that war gets people killed - it would be nice if there were no wars but that is not going to happen. The issue recently discussed is whether a a person has a higher chance of getting blown up by a Christian fundamental terrorist or a Muslim fundamental terrorist.
 
May 13, 2009
3,042
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I already mentioned that war gets people killed - it would be nice if there were no wars but that is not going to happen. The issue recently discussed is whether a a person has a higher chance of getting blown up by a Christian fundamental terrorist or a Muslim fundamental terrorist.
Depends. If you for instance happen to run an abortion clinic, I think the former is more likely.
 
Jul 9, 2009
6,625
0
0
Cobblestones said:
Depends. If you for instance happen to run an abortion clinic, I think the former is more likely.
Yes, because we believe so strongly in the sanctity of human life that hasn't begun yet, we are going to kill you!
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,325
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
In thinking about this overnight I still do not see a higher percentage of Americans believing they are better as humans than others (any more than non-Americans have the same attitude). I do believe a higher percentage may believe they are more fortunate than those living in other countries in that we the US has not had the high cost of major battles on our soil for more than a hundred years, has a fairly high standard of living, has a history of providing the opportunity to get ahead, and until recently had a decent economy.

I wonder if the idea that this country is the best place to live in the world came in part from the fact that most people who live here originally came from some other country thinking this was a better place to live - this also may be a reason for the problem many have with a large number of recent immigrants who have been vocal about their thought that the US is not their favorite country, just the one they came to illegally.
2 fellow american have already agreed with me. Hugh and Susan.
 
Mar 11, 2009
664
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I am pretty happy with the Constitution that separates Church and State and have always thought that the combination of any religion with the State police and military powers leads to violence and persecution (just look at the middle east for modern day examples), however, at this moment the Constitution still prevents the link. I know some out there would like to change that situation - I believe even they would not like the world they created if that were to happen. However, it was not fundamentalist Christians who took out the Twin Towers or are bombing buses in Jerusalem and the markets in Cairo.
Watch this video and tell me you don't think these people are dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1m0jSzIjlA
 
Mar 11, 2009
664
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I do not agree with the T-shirts, however, T-shirts are not bombs strapped to young teenagers. Still going with the most danger at this point being Muslim terrorist.

Question: What do you think Al Qaida would do if they obtained a nuclear weapon?
CentralCaliBike said:
I have no doubt that there are crazies on both sides of the aisle. But using religion as a means of hate, violence and oppression to me is one of the most vile things humans as a species can do. Religious fundamentalism is Religious fundamentalism, if you want to call it Islamic or Christian it's two sides of the same coin and both are equally dangerous if left unchecked. I agree with you Al Al-Qaeda getting their hands on a nuclear bomb would not be a good thing.
 
Mar 11, 2009
664
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I do not agree with the T-shirts, however, T-shirts are not bombs strapped to young teenagers. Still going with the most danger at this point being Muslim terrorist.

Question: What do you think Al Qaida would do if they obtained a nuclear weapon?
CentralCaliBike said:
I have no doubt that there are crazies on both sides of the aisle and anybody calling for the death of any president should be arrested. But using religion as a means of hate, violence and oppression to me is one of the most vile things humans as a species can do. Religious fundamentalism is Religious fundamentalism, if you want to call it Islamic or Christian it's two sides of the same coin and both are equally dangerous if left unchecked. I agree with you Al-Qaeda getting their hands on a nuclear bomb would not be a good thing to say the least. But there are not hundreds of thousands of armed Al-Qaeda members running around the USA.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
titan_90 said:
I have no doubt that there are crazies on both sides of the aisle and anybody calling for the death of any president should be arrested. But using religion as a means of hate, violence and oppression to me is one of the most vile things humans as a species can do. Religious fundamentalism is Religious fundamentalism, if you want to call it Islamic or Christian it's two sides of the same coin and both are equally dangerous if left unchecked. I agree with you Al-Qaeda getting their hands on a nuclear bomb would not be a good thing to say the least. But there are not hundreds of thousands of Al-Qaeda members running around the USA.
I doubt there are hundreds of thousands of extreme Christians running around - and if there were, and they were as violent as the extreme Muslims, we would have a lot more dead from terrorist attacks.
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
I do not agree with the T-shirts, however, T-shirts are not bombs strapped to young teenagers. Still going with the most danger at this point being Muslim terrorist.
Seeing as how Christian nutters killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in the last six years, the chance of being killed by bombs strapped to the planes of Christian terrorists is much, much higher. The number killed by muslim terrorist is a rounding error compared to the vast numbers of muslims murdered by neocons.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
BroDeal said:
Seeing as how Christian nutters killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis in the last six years, the chance of being killed by bombs strapped to the planes of Christian terrorists is much, much higher. The number killed by muslim terrorist is a rounding error compared to the vast numbers of muslims murdered by neocons.
This thinking is on a par with Osama.
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
This thinking is on a par with Osama.
Is that the best you can do? Why don't you just go straight to Hitler. Oh, I guess because talking about the mass muder of hundreds of thousands applies to you and your modern conservative bigots who think of muslims as sub-humans whose lives don't matter.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
BroDeal said:
Is that the best you can do? Why don't you just go straight to Hitler. Oh, I guess because talking about the mass muder of hundreds of thousands applies to you and your modern conservative bigots who think of muslims as sub-humans whose lives don't matter.
You fail to understand the reality of war, but you do understand the talking points of Osama, therefore the comment fits.
 
Mar 18, 2009
13,318
0
0
CentralCaliBike said:
You fail to understand the reality of war, but you do understand the talking points of Osama, therefore the comment fits.
You fail to understand the reality of the murder of hundred of thousands iof innocent people over a pack of lies. That is why the Hitler comment fits you. Perhaps Goebbels would be a better fit, seeing as how you are an apologist for a regime that committed war crimes.

This is what modern conservatism is: Support of a regime that shipped people to Uzbekistan to be boiled alive.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2005-04-12/news/the-cia-s-kidnapping-ring/
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
BroDeal said:
You fail to understand the reality of the murder of hundred of thousands iof innocent people over a pack of lies. That is why the Hitler comment fits you.
Saddam started a war against Iran, another against Kuwait, and killed in excess of 300,000 without fighting the United States - then he could have followed the UN directives and did not.

"Human Rights Watch: "twenty-five years of Ba`th Party rule ... murdered or 'disappeared' some quarter of a million Iraqis" "

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/4751,news-comment,news-politics,saddam-era-the-death-toll

Wars kill people, often civilians:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat3.htm

In the real world the guy sitting at the seat of power determines what human rights people will have. During war those rights are extremely limited until one side or the other wins. Hopefully for the survivors the winner has a decent record of providing rights when not at war.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Off Topic DIscussions 12
Similar threads
2019 Rugby World Cup

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS