• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 660 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Krugman: the "dastardly ploy" by those "left-wing Greek radicals" is completely reasonable.

OK, so as I understand the latest from the new Greek government, Yanis Varoufakis is saying that he and his colleagues don?t care what happens to the headline value of the debt ? if you want to claim that there has been no write-off, OK. What they want instead is substantive but not outrageous relief from the burden of running primary surpluses (surpluses ex interest payments), reducing the amount of resources transferred to creditors from 4.5 to 1-1.5 percent of GDP; they also want flexibility to achieve these surpluses with a mix that includes more revenue and less spending austerity.

This is a dastardly ploy by those left-wing radicals. You see, it?s completely reasonable.

Once we?ve granted that the debt won?t really be paid in full, the question is how to manage that less-than-full payment. As I?ve argued, the key point is to grant Greece some relaxation ? but not elimination ? of the requirement that it run large primary surpluses, thereby creating room for recovery. And that?s what Greece is now asking for.

The point for now is that Syriza is making sense. The next move is up to the creditors.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/02/whos-unreasonable-now/

Those "dastardly left-wing Greek radicals" are being more reasonable than Germany.

Cheers

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
something important is afoot in eastern europe again...

without much pre- announcement, mutter merkel and monsieur fran?ois hollande will visit kiev today (where 'coincidentally' mr. kerrry already landed) to then fly off to moscow to meet with vlad tomorrow...

what's all this diplomatic flurry about and why now ?

the 2nd question is easier to entertain. obviously, the initiative coincided with the rebels latest military successes, just like 5 mo ago leading to the minsk agreement... looks like new masters and creditors worried about protecting their investment in a client.

as to the substance, one can only guess..have they come to the realization that vlad wont be intimidated ? or quite the opposite - they are carrying to moscow more sticks, not carrots ? or perhaps, the 2 pompous heads of important state are proposing a compromise ?

frankly, if i was in vlad's shoes, before i sat down for a serious talk, i'd ask the esteemed mutter and the immaculate monsieur if they can remember their govt signatures under the agreement with the LAST uki prez about the peaceful power transition ? about the violent power transition the very next day ? about the esteemed mutter and monsieur signatures being worth shyte and if they consider vlad an idiot to be fooled again ?

we'll see, but i'm not holding my breath.

Francois Hollande and the French government are now focusing all policy on terrorism. This is largely a result of total failure on all other issues, and an impressive rise in popularity following the January attacks (despite the actual failure of the government to prevent said attacks). This could explain his going to the Ukraine, he wants to embellish his image as a leader of the fight against terrorism or any other kind of uprising.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....file under kinda weird but sorta not entirely a surprise...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Guardian: Fox News "literally ? working for al-Qaida and Isis?s media arm"

The Guardian has posted an article about FOX New's embedding ISIS's latest snuff film, unedited on their webpage:

Fox News has chosen to embed on its website the video of Islamic State burning a hostage to death, a move which makes them the only US media organization to broadcast the video in full.

The extremely graphic 22-minute video shows Muadh al-Kasasbeh, a Jordanian pilot, being set on fire and burned to death in a cage. Fox News did not post the videos of the killings of previous Isis hostages, and no other media company has hosted this video.

The Guardian however, notes that ISIS supporters are quite thankful for FOX's hosting help:

On Twitter, accounts associated with Isis supporters are sharing the video via the links to the Fox News site. One account, which regularly posts pro-Isis slogans and updates about Islamic State ?victories? in battle, tweeted boastfully that ?Whoever is looking for the al-Furqan version (of the video), here it is and it cannot be deleted because it is on an American network.? Al-Furqan is Isis? media outlet.

And Terrorism experts seem to agree:

Rick Nelson, a senior associate in homeland security and terrorism at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said that posting the video actually empowers Isis.

... ?These groups need a platform, and this gives them a platform,? he added.

Malcolm Nance, the executive director of the Terror Asymmetrics Project on Strategy, Tactics and Radical Ideology thinktank and an expert on counter-terrorism and radical extremism told the Guardian that by posting the video Fox News was propagating ?exactly what Isis wants to propagate?.

?(Fox News) are literally ? literally ? working for al-Qaida and Isis?s media arm,? he added.

?They might as well start sending them royalty checks.?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Has anyone noticed the growing swell of conspiracy nuts on the web who say the beheading videos by ISIS are fake? Kind of an interesting sub topic all unto itself.

Meanwhile, Jordan appears to be bombing the bejezus out of many suspected ISIS sites.

Things all brings up another point. It won't be long (as in, now) before no western citizens go into that area. No journalists, no humanitarians, no aid workers, only military personnel in large, heavily armed numbers. What's ISIS to do when they run out of easy targets to fuel their propaganda machine?

Alpe d'Huez said:
Has anyone noticed the growing swell of conspiracy nuts on the web who say the beheading videos by ISIS are fake? Kind of an interesting sub topic all unto itself.

Meanwhile, Jordan appears to be bombing the bejezus out of many suspected ISIS sites.

Things all brings up another point. It won't be long (as in, now) before no western citizens go into that area. No journalists, no humanitarians, no aid workers, only military personnel in large, heavily armed numbers. What's ISIS to do when they run out of easy targets to fuel their propaganda machine?

The other thing they are going to run out of is armament. The stuff bagged from Syria and Iraq is drying up, breaking with no maintenance. No 'state' will sell to them(well, maybe Russia, they need the $ and Putin is as corrupt as anybody. Costling him a lot of ruples to have his drunken army slap Ukraine around)), their numbers are shrinking(about 1/5 of their numbers killed). This is turning into a Muslim vs ISIS fight. Don't be surprised to see a Jordan/Iraq/Iran/Syria armed force getting rid of the last of the scum. They are completely outmatched for large unit warfare. They can kill women, old men and children but will run when faced a real armed force.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
The other thing they are going to run out of is armament. The stuff bagged from Syria and Iraq is drying up, breaking with no maintenance. No 'state' will sell to them(well, maybe Russia, they need the $ and Putin is as corrupt as anybody. Costling him a lot of ruples to have his drunken army slap Ukraine around)), their numbers are shrinking(about 1/5 of their numbers killed). This is turning into a Muslim vs ISIS fight. Don't be surprised to see a Jordan/Iraq/Iran/Syria armed force getting rid of the last of the scum. They are completely outmatched for large unit warfare. They can kill women, old men and children but will run when faced a real armed force.

...yeah that makes piles of sense...those evil Ruskies will sell those other evil guys weapons even though those evil guys are fighting the Ruskie allies in the area ( you know the guys you wouldn't be surprised will get together to rid the last of the scum....the scum that were btw originally equipped by some exceptional friends and their exceptional allies )....

....and further btw the reaction in some exceptional circles will most likely be stark horror if Jordan joins Iraq and Iran and Syria in a cooperative joint effort ( read a Shia based bloc fighting a Sunni based menace supported by the exceptional forces of goodness and freedom and stuff... )...

Cheers

Bill Moyers on the history of horrific violence repeating itself. Only this story is from the United States, the year 1916, a scant century ago.

...The charred corpse of a young black man, Jesse Washington, tied to a blistered tree in the heart of the Texas Bible Belt. Next to the burned body, young white men can be seen smiling and grinning, seemingly jubilant.

Jesse had been sentenced to death for the murder of a white woman. No witnesses saw the crime. The grand jury took just four minutes to return a guilty verdict, but there was no appeal, no review, no prison time. Instead, a courtroom mob dragged him outside, pinned him to the ground, and cut off his testicles. A bonfire was quickly built and lit. For two hours, Jesse Washington ? alive ? was raised and lowered over the flames. Again and again and again. City officials and police stood by, approvingly. According to some estimates, the crowd grew to as many as 15,000. There were taunts, cheers and laughter. Reporters described hearing "shouts of delight.?

Jesse Washington was just one black man to die horribly at the hands of white death squads. Between 1882 and 1968 (1968!), there were 4,743 recorded lynchings in the US. About a quarter of them were white people, many of whom had been killed for sympathizing with black folks.

God Bless America.

jesse1.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
does anyone know if they would not have been part of the Texas crowd?

The Milgram experiment would indicate that most would go along with a crowd.

An Australia Day about 5 yrs ago we had a baying crowd at that most Australian of plazas, the beach. brown people, muslims, immigrants. And an educated political body were expedient and played to a populace, if not a lowest denominator, but a really low one, and if they stepped above the lowest they thought they were taking a high ground. lolza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...yeah that makes piles of sense...those evil Ruskies will sell those other evil guys weapons even though those evil guys are fighting the Ruskie allies in the area ( you know the guys you wouldn't be surprised will get together to rid the last of the scum....the scum that were btw originally equipped by some exceptional friends and their exceptional allies )....

....and further btw the reaction in some exceptional circles will most likely be stark horror if Jordan joins Iraq and Iran and Syria in a cooperative joint effort ( read a Shia based bloc fighting a Sunni based menace supported by the exceptional forces of goodness and freedom and stuff... )...

Cheers
the swedes sell a truckload of arms. and still come across as the most huminitarian of nations <eyes roll>

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/12/9/sweden_ranks_second_in_the_world

not just the victor bouts

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Bill Moyers on the history of horrific violence repeating itself. Only this story is from the United States, the year 1916, a scant century ago.

God Bless America.

jesse1.jpg

...and lets not forget the wholesale use of napalm in several major conflicts undertaken by the US of A....and last I checked napalm wasn't exactly a precision munition so thousands and thousands of innocents were incinerated, errr, collaterally damaged...

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blutto said:
...and lets not forget the wholesale use of napalm in several major conflicts undertaken by the US of A....and last I checked napalm wasn't exactly a precision munition so thousands and thousands of innocents were incinerated, errr, collaterally damaged...

Cheers
+ white phosphorous

@dahr jamail Fallujah.

you americans would remember the crazy coked out (metaphor, he just acted like charlie sheen) the crazy coked out Australian on either CNN or CNBC or NBC during the first half decade of the IRaq occupation. Mick Ware.

he was first at Time magazine then on the broadcast media. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ware

he was in Fallujah with CNN as part of the embedded "media fraud". again, see: Dahr Jamail and his commentary on the embeds. Just carnts. cunz the lot of them. Cobra II (Michael Gordon) Fiasco (Thomas Ricks) . Good Company (Sebastian Junger) etc, I refuse to read propaganda. prefer internet p0rn, its the same thing really.

*oh, interesting sidenote. Ware was having sex with one of the female correspondents, (yeah, crazy that type of heterosexual sex innit). I had it pinned to the South African NBC blonde who was on LEtterman I saw about a decade ago, she has a fake front end rack, as an Australian female tv journalist said when talking about male tv management/execs "bollox, you luv plastic breasts". anyway, she was in Iraq during the revolution. She said she got raped. I dont equate rape to a corporal assault where you get a degree of digital penetration, or just hands, when people are dying in a revolution and getting shot because of the american and israeli foreign policy that set Cairo alight. She is a liar. I dont believe her. She would do well with Mick Ware. Australia does not need him. He fits perfectly with America and correspondents who want adventure, then cry rape when brown people are dying all around.

ok, i think i said my piece.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
does anyone know if they would not have been part of the Texas crowd?

The Milgram experiment would indicate that most would go along with a crowd.

An Australia Day about 5 yrs ago we had a baying crowd at that most Australian of plazas, the beach. brown people, muslims, immigrants. And an educated political body were expedient and played to a populace, if not a lowest denominator, but a really low one, and if they stepped above the lowest they thought they were taking a high ground. lolza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
ich bin ein Treblinka guard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reader

*metaphor, or cipher for humanity as whole. I could not trust any of my family to not run with the flock and stand up to despotism.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
While the global economy sputters, arms sales have increased by 30%. By now only the pope has a sermon contrary.
this pope, i really hate this pope. I would almost prefer getting reamed by one of the preists at a catholic boarding school. this pope is insufferable.

blackcat said:
this pope, i really hate this pope. I would almost prefer getting reamed by one of the preists at a catholic boarding school. this pope is insufferable.

Take it easy there guy, I was being ironic.

At any rate that the arms trade continues to soar in the face of everything else, is a demonstration of just how vile we are as a species. Now let's talk about nation defaults.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Take it easy there guy, I was being ironic.

At any rate that the arms trade continues to soar in the face of everything else, is a demonstration of just how vile we are as a species. Now let's talk about nation defaults.
yeah, I knew you were being ironic. I was just doubling down. I hate the catholics. I luv the irish tho.

nothing against brazilians or argentines, cant remember where this pope is from

blackcat said:
yeah, I knew you were being ironic. I was just doubling down. I hate the catholics. I luv the irish tho.

nothing against brazilians or argentines, cant remember where this pope is from

So you hate Catholics is it. Well, at least you didn't say you hated Jews.

The reaction would certainly have been more than simply contrary to your intellectual merit.

blutto said:

Cheers

They need the dough..I have a prediction, as soon as Vlad gets out of Ukraine, the price of oil will 'magically' go up. If he takes his shirt off and cross the border again, back down.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....the latest from that simmering issue in The Ukraine....thoughts from Pepe......the bad news is that important people are talking about the possibility of total war ( which unfortunately, for the majority of the populace of the country driving the clown car here, probably means either something akin to a real cool video game or a trip to heaven, because this is sorta kinda like an end times scenario...so its either bring it on, or some version of gawd will sort it out...)

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Th...scobar-Fear_Media_Merkel_NATO-150207-952.html

Cheers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
So you hate Catholics is it. Well, at least you didn't say you hated Jews.

The reaction would certainly have been more than simply contrary to your intellectual merit.
its reactionary. familial ties.

my family were educated in the epicentre of the catholicism scandal in pedagogy, which, includes the same prefix. Ballarat.

see: australian intellectual David Marr on Ballarat. says it all. http://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/david-marr/2013/09/18/1379486457/prince-george-pell

re:intellectual merit. no. no. emotional tide overwhelms any rational response. as i qualified, its reactionary. needs not to be parsed for intellectual merit, lack of, when it manifestly does not propose it and it wears the lack of emotional merit on its sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS