• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 700 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:
Which hostages? The ones tortured in Abu Graib or the ones rotting in Guantanamo without trial or justice for 12 years?

Or the ones in Russian gulags or Chinese labor camps?

I'm glad you have such admiration for Russia and China, but they have a few 'current' skeletons right now. Syria and N Korea, just like the US. Plenty of mistakes to go around.
Gulags? Labor Camps? must have never happened :rolleyes: Or maybe they don't have that literature down in New Zealand?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:
Which hostages? The ones tortured in Abu Graib or the ones rotting in Guantanamo without trial or justice for 12 years?

I'm glad you have such admiration for Russia and China, but they have a few 'current' skeletons right now. Syria and N Korea, just like the US. Plenty of mistakes to go around.

....this can be viewed from a slightly different perspective...

.....soooo....

......if one considers themselves exceptional and trumpet that at every opportunity you would think one should operate at a higher standard of conduct....if, however, one acts in ways similar to the people that one looks down on from your exceptional pulpit ( read, one is doing the same *** things that **** countries do and still scream out loud that your ** is real special and don't stink) then you can safely painted as simply loud mouth hypocrites, full stop....

....so the choice is...if one considers themselves exceptional, they should act at the higher standard that exceptional requires....if not, just shut the ****** up about being exceptional, and just accept you are just another brand of **.....you can't have it both ways...

....and it is this kind of behaviour that is a major contributor to a lot of the animosity aimed at Exceptionalistan....because the only thing worse than **** ( and everybody does *** but then expectations are low) is **** served with a heaping scoop of hypocriticistical sauce ( where expectations are built up then dashed )....

Cheers

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

Gulags? Labor Camps? must have never happened :rolleyes: Or maybe they don't have that literature down in New Zealand?

Glenn you are trying every trick in the book.

The strawmen about Gulags and the whataboutery' is just too transparent. Other people seem to think you can do better than this, but I haven't seen anything from you to indicate that you can. Your problem is you have an emotional attachment to the US so you interpret any unfavourable analysis as 'hate'.

It's interesting that you needed to get personal rather than just dealing with a factual discussion of history and try and invoke emotional motivation on my part. It's called projection.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

The strawmen about Gulags and the whataboutery' is just too transparent. Other people seem to think you can do better than this, but I haven't seen anything from you to indicate that you can. Your problem is you have an emotional attachment to the US so you interpret any unfavourable analysis as 'hate'.

It's interesting that you needed to get personal rather than just dealing with a factual discussion of history and try and invoke emotional motivation on my part. It's called projection.

....stick around...

Cheers

Re:

wendybnt said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

I guess Wendy doesn't think gulags and labor camps exist or her heros in Russia and China aren't helping Syria and N Korea kill their own people.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i realize saying the mess in syria is exciting borders on the politically incorrect, nevertheless, that's how a war games follower and practitioner (guilty - i am) would tend to see it...and frankly, if you drop any false ideological pretense, what is going on syria is a perfect mess none understand....

and what a mess it is !

to begin with, ALL the OUTSIDE stakeholders and deal makers, namely - the us, iran, turkey, russia and the saudis - agree about the 2 biggest threats to themselves and the 'humanity'. they are TOTALLY AGREEING the islamic state/isil and the al nusra front(al qaeda) are the enemies to be fought against ruthlessly. it's a given.

then what's the problem ? why not to get together and start talking business ?

good question...

my opinion - the core reason is the us and its confusion about the existential threats and who is the real friend or foe.

no, i am not blasting the us. quite the opposite. imo the us is currently lead by a president who UNDERSTANDS the scoop, but, facing the shytty baggage of 15 years of non-stop wars left by the neocon and facing no good options short of more unpopular wars, obama is genuinely lost.

and here come the ruthless devil vlad taking advantage of the 'poor' potus. what a bad guy, vlad is. :rolleyes: but think, why should he not push back at america when the us-inspired putsch just took place on his door steps and effectively cut off all historical, economic and cultural links between the 2 slavic brahs that share so much ?
vlad, imo reasonably, objected by saying he did not stick his dijck btwn the us and canada or mexico and why he should tolerate the us in his existential environment ??

but i went too far. i am convinced very few in the west, besides the war gamers like myself, understand the gravity of the parallel. thus, i expect vlad to add more excitement as i sense he's seriously mad at the us double standard, though, i'd argue, obama does nor deserve his ire.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Putin gives a toss about the double-standards. He's playing exactly the same game as the US. It's just about gaining and maintaining a foothold in an area, making sure that 'your man' is in control of countries that have things you want, and if your 'friends' just happen to be brutal regimes who keep the disaffected portion of their society from uprising by terrorising them with public beheadings for sorcery then so be it.

Re:

wendybnt said:
I don't think Putin gives a toss about the double-standards. He's playing exactly the same game as the US. It's just about gaining and maintaining a foothold in an area, making sure that 'your man' is in control of countries that have things you want, and if your 'friends' just happen to be brutal regimes who keep the disaffected portion of their society from uprising by terrorising them with public beheadings for sorcery then so be it.

A Med port for Russia..main reason he's in Syria, same for their attempt in Afganistan..a Indian Ocean port.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....for those that may be interested in goings on in the land immediately north of the proposed wall that ye olde US of A is going to build on their northern flank ......

http://thinkpol.ca/2015/10/15/lynton-crosby-abandons-harper/

...a little background....the incumbent Conservative PM brought in some PR muscle from Australia to help bolster his campaign.....they promptly started what they thought was a winning campaign built on what had been successful for them in other campaigns, using a series of typical conservative racist dog whistles ....

....well....

....things didn't quite work out....Canada is apparently not enough like Great Britain, Australia or 'Merika....

....my fave lines from the article...

"It’s brand protection,” Michael Budd. “Crosby and Co can’t have neo-cons in other countries thinking racism won’t win them elections”

....and...

"Crosby’s partner Mark Textor has launched an online campaign to distance their firm Crosby|Textor from the Conservative campaign, going as far to create a hashtag #notincanada."

....not in Canada indeed, like *** right off eh....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

A Med port for Russia..main reason he's in Syria, same for their attempt in Afganistan..a Indian Ocean port.

....as opposed to making sure you get the pipelines you want thru those territories...and of course bringing peace prosperity and democracy and so on and so forth...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....and speaking of the campaign to spread peace, prosperity and democracy there is a bit of a PR issue associated with use of the shiny. technically advanced, super duper, much better than anything those dastardly Commies ( oooops wrong century ) use instruments used to spread said peace, prosperity and democracy....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"U.S. drone strikes have killed scores of civilians in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia.

the controversial U.S. drone strike program in the Middle East aims to pinpoint and kill terrorist leaders, but new documents indicate that a staggering number of these "targeted killings" affect far more people than just their targets.

According to a new report from The Intercept, nearly 90 percent of people killed in recent drone strikes in Afghanistan "were not the intended targets" of the attacks. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....and yes that does look bad but if that had been those technically incompetent Russkie weapons probably 153% of those killed would have been unintended targets....so its not that bad 'cause it could have been much worse....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

....now this is quite early in the morning and we all understand that for some of us things are sometimes a wee bit foggy....and....this may be a small point.....

....but....

....you do realize its the Russians who are in Syria.....and it was the USSR that was in Afghanistan....one was nominally communist, the other isn't....its sort of like confusing British North America ( aka The Thirteen Colonies ) and the United States of America ( and yes there are commonalities but frankly you have to admit they are different entities )...doesn't really reflect well on any associated analysis or thoughts you may have on related subject matter if you know what I mean....

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

blutto said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

....as opposed to making sure you get the pipelines you want thru those territories...and of course bringing peace prosperity and democracy and so on and so forth...

Cheers
We have yet to construct that Caspian oil pipeline. No idea why not - cause we have been blowing things up for 14 years.

A Med port for Russia is nothing new. Putin is pals with Assad or friends to the extent they can stick it to the USA. USA meddling in Syria was and is a mistake one that Putin had no trouble exposing.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
an unidentified drone shot down over turkey. the turks haven't accused any nation yet, but...the united states, of course, already accused...you know who. btw, according to some expert opinions i just heard on france 24 the image of the shutdown craft does not look like any known military drone. theoretically, it could belong to israel, iran, america, russia or even turkey. also, the 'unidentified' tag is largely bs, even if the markings are absent b/c the drone directional control signal can always betray the point of it's ground controller and the syrian sky is filled by all sorts of monitoring/intelligence collecting platforms.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-shoots-down-unknown-aircraft-its-airspace-near-syria-border-572235940

and, from an independent investigative journo about the us deliberately misleading statements

Obama won’t admit the real targets of Russian airstrikes
- See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/obama-won-t-admit-real-targets-russian-airstrikes-386489294#sthash.1EgR1Pry.dpuf

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

Cheers
We have yet to construct that Caspian oil pipeline. No idea why not - cause we have been blowing things up for 14 years.

A Med port for Russia is nothing new. Putin is pals with Assad or friends to the extent they can stick it to the USA. USA meddling in Syria was and is a mistake one that Putin had no trouble exposing.

No it isn't anything new. Russia's has leased the Tartus base since 1971. Back then it was for subs. The Russians have a long-standing relationship with Asad's Syria and they want to maintain it.

Incidentally, the Crimea annexation is about several things but mostly it's access to the Black sea.

Nothing new in this. Well-informed Americans will understand the concept of annexing someone else's country in order to project military power. After all, it is exactly what they did to Hawaii, against the wishes of the Hawaiians. Let's not forget either that the US was established on land gained through genocide. (With, of course, a lot of help from the Brits and the Spanish). That may seem like ancient history to Merkin's, but my country house was already as old as the US is now, when the US was established ;)

Time for a bit of French..... Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose....

wendybnt said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

Cheers

No it isn't anything new. Russia's has leased the Tartus base since 1971. Back then it was for subs. The Russians have a long-standing relationship with Asad's Syria and they want to maintain it.

Incidentally, the Crimea annexation is about several things but mostly it's access to the Black sea.

Nothing new in this. Well-informed Americans will understand the concept of annexing someone else's country in order to project military power. After all, it is exactly what they did to Hawaii, against the wishes of the Hawaiians. Let's not forget either that the US was established on land gained through genocide. (With, of course, a lot of help from the Brits and the Spanish). That may seem like ancient history to Merkin's, but my country house was already as old as the US is now, when the US was established ;)

Nice french and thanks, I was talking about a port for the Soviet, ooops, Russian NAVY. "

For Sale-"French weapon, only dropped once".

'London', of course the UK has never done anything like that.

'Crimea annexation', how polite. Maybe Australia ought to 'annex' NZ? Or UK 'annex' Ireland?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

wendybnt said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

Cheers

That is great news about your country house.

Well the years of the big cold war manipulators never really ended. It might have cooled down some but the ramp up now is a bit startling.

Appears to me that Russia has spent some time, money and technology into weapons over these past 15 to 20 years. Something the USA should pay attention to and spend $$$ to counter. With the current POTUS I doubt he will get anything done.

For the USA things like the Monroe Doctrine and Lend Lease / the fear of communist aggression / and the latest dumb idea of Nation Building has some serious consequences. What ends up happening is some who already don't necessary find themselves having a positive outlook on the USA to spin all that information into some crazy guano.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

....just to put something here into perspective ( or just confuse the issue beyond recognition ), the Monroe Doctrine was originally a 'Merikan response to a confrontation with an early form of Soviet Canuckistan....so I guess we was like a bunch of 19th century stand-ins for commies and/or mooselims, kinda a bit of a dry run to get your ideological ducks in a row so when youse guys got down to some serious hate, your propaganda machinery was up and humming and fine tuned....

...... ironically enough it was the Monroe Doctrine, or more importantly the attitudes behind it that were a major impetus to consolidate several former British colonies into what is now Canada aka Soviet Canuckistan....so thank you 'Merika for being so jingoistically imperialist because we would have literally been nothing without you....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

wendybnt said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
blutto said:
Bustedknuckle said:
wendybnt said:

Cheers

....look, if you want to pitch for the team of sugar and spice and everything nice you should realize that we have some rules....for instance one must have a pulse, and, hmmmm. uhhhhh, errrrr, oh yeah, you have to have more than a passing acquaintance with these things we call facts....which as every member of our august organization knows are the very basis of what we do ( pass on the unvarnished truth to the truth starved masses )...

....that being said I noticed in your post above that you state that " Russia's has leased the Tartus base since 1971"....we are not amused by this most critical of lapses, that is something out of BustedBloodvessel's playbook and frankly we try to aspire to a higher level...

....since this seems to be your first serious transgression we will let this one go...but please try to up your game, these are not kids you are playing with, but case hardened internet warriors, and we have our reputation to think of....

Cheers

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

For the USA things like the Monroe Doctrine and Lend Lease / the fear of communist aggression / and the latest dumb idea of Nation Building has some serious consequences. What ends up happening is some who already don't necessary find themselves having a positive outlook on the USA to spin all that information into some crazy guano.

Ah of course. How foolish of me to think that 70 years of devastating acts of aggression by the US didn't happen. We dreamed Vietnam. All those news shots of burning children was a mere figment of our imaginations. Shock and awe didn't happen. Iraq wasn't destroyed...not just its infrastructure but its culture and civilisation. And even if it had actually happened, they would have deserved it (in our dream) because they had Weapons of Mass Destrukshun that they could launch in minutes and it was they what done the Twin Towers.

All those Iraquis living in smoking ruins next to the charred bodies of their children should be thankful that the US had liberated them (and their oil), and the Iraqis that grouped together to fight the invaders and occupiers were just spoilt brats who didn't appreciated what the wonderful people of the US had done for them.

There's no pleasing some people. You can throw all the bombs and missiles at them you wont, but they still won't be grateful.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

wendybnt said:

Ah of course. How foolish of me to think that 70 years of devastating acts of aggression by the US didn't happen. We dreamed Vietnam. All those news shots of burning children was a mere figment of our imaginations. Shock and awe didn't happen. Iraq wasn't destroyed...not just its infrastructure but its culture and civilisation. And even if it had actually happened, they would have deserved it (in our dream) because they had Weapons of Mass Destrukshun that they could launch in minutes and it was they what done the Twin Towers.

All those Iraquis living in smoking ruins next to the charred bodies of their children should be thankful that the US had liberated them (and their oil), and the Iraqis that grouped together to fight the invaders and occupiers were just spoilt brats who didn't appreciated what the wonderful people of the US had done for them.

There's no pleasing some people. You can throw all the bombs and missiles at them you wont, but they still won't be grateful.

....good bye....it was fun while it lasted....your last line was apropos ( a nice swansong )....

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

blutto said:
wendybnt said:

....good bye....it was fun while it lasted....your last line was apropos ( a nice swansong )....

Cheers
Nice one wasn't it Blutto? Almost as if we were lead down the road to get to that last line.

And as I wrote this it seems Wendybott was bounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS