• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 701 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....earlier in this thread there were comments by anonymous sources about Russian cruises missiles not reaching their targets ( the implication being they were second rate technology that simply don't match up to the latest shiny Western tech)....and as an extra added self-serving PR bonus they were operated by Communistical monsters, ooops sorry, that is so last century, make that Russian monsters, who didn't give a whit about sanctity and stuff....sooo....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" At the onset of their illegal invasion US aircraft were making bombing runs on Baghdad at the rate of 1,000 a day with many parts of the city described as “an inferno.” Holocaustal war crimes of enormity. (Holocaust: “ Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by fire.”)

Further, the US is also no stranger to stray missiles. As Time Magazine reported in April 2003, just two weeks in to America’s bombardment:

“ … in the past week, three U.S. Tomahawks have gone missing in the rocky plains of southeastern Turkey en route to Iraq, several hundred miles from the war zone. Five more went astray in Saudi Arabia, and a handful of others have broken up in Iran and reportedly, Syria.” (5)

Bombing in Iraq, as everywhere “liberated” by America was criminally indiscriminate, Edward Herman cites Fallujah as a chilling example and of war crimes of enormity (6):

“According to Dr. Hafidd al-Dulzanni, head of the Commission for the Compensation of Fallujah Citizens, the U.S. assault (of 2004) destroyed some 7,000 houses, 840 stores, workshops and clinics, 65 mosques and religious sanctuaries, 59 schools, 13 government buildings, two electricity stations, three water purification plants, along with several railroad stations and sewage purification plants, among other things. Hospitals were an explicit target and weapons like white phosphorus and uranium-loaded projectiles were used, all adding up to massive violations of the laws of war.” (Emphasis mine.)

Fallujah’s illegal destruction both targeted and indiscriminate was, a metaphor for all Iraq.

On the day the US military entered Baghdad (8th April 2003) they declared war on journalists, a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocol 1 and a war crime under the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.

First US troops directed a missile at the Al Jazeera offices in Baghdad killing correspondent Tariq Ayoub and seriously wounding several others. It should be noted that: “The attacks came amid broadcasts showing some of the mounting slaughter being conducted by US troops throughout the Iraqi capital.” (7)

The surviving Al Jazeera staff sought shelter in nearby Abu Dhabi TV which then also came under US attack. Abu Dhabi TV correspondent, Shaker Hamed issued an on air call for help reporting: “Twenty-five journalists and technicians belonging to Abu Dhabi television and … Al-Jazeera are surrounded in the offices of Abu Dhabi TV in Baghdad.” Note the “surrounded”, these were seemingly no “stray” airborne missiles, the tanks were firing from near point blank range. “Kill the messenger” comes to mind.

Hamed called for relevant agencies: “to intervene quickly to pull us out of this zone where missiles and shells are striking in an unbelievable way.”

In a now chillingly familiar story, also reminiscent of the MSF hospital in Kundiz: “Al-Jazeera had written to US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on February 23 giving the precise location of its office so as to avoid being targeted.” Giving co-ordinates to the US military is, it appears, literally the kiss of death.

Al Jazeera was also attacked by the US troops in Afghanistan at the time of the US invasion, as Iraq, destroying their offices.

Having targeted Al Jazeera and Abu Dhabi TV, the US troops turned their attention to the Palestine Hotel, where two hundred journalists and world wide media were based. They killed Reuters correspondent Taras Protsyuk and Jose Couso of Spanish Telecinco TV. Three other journalists were injured, the hotel was extensively damaged. The US military had of course, been informed that the Palestine was the media’s base."

....and....

"In 1999 former Yugoslavia was decimated – with stray US missiles landing in Macedonia, hitting Belgrade’s media centre, the Chinese Embassy, markets, obliterating train passengers, all “liberated” from life the American way."

...."liberated" from life indeed....

....quoted material from... http://www.globalresearch.ca/americas-war-on-syria-russias-fantasy-stray-missiles-versus-americas-real-ones/5482488

....which ends, appropriately, with the following...

"Let us hear no more phony allegations of stray missiles before the hell of the real ones have been accounted for."

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....for those interesting in Monday's election in Soviet Canuckistan here is a nice little snapshot of how things are up here....by the architecture critic in the Toronto Star no less, but no less hard hitting and bang farking on....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
Perhaps it’s one’s over-heated imagination, but the thought that Canada could rid itself of Stephen Harper in just days seems to have made the country a happier place. Suddenly, Canadians have a spring in their step. The cloud that has kept Canada in darkness for a decade could finally lift.

Not that we delude ourselves that Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau or the NDP’s Tom Mulcair will solve all our problems, but both would eliminate the toughest issue of all — the prime minister himself.

Regardless of his agenda, Harper’s contempt for Canada and its political institutions has passed the point of no return. In addition to being the only Canadian prime minister ever found in contempt of Parliament, he has prorogued the House on four occasions, each time to save his own sorry regime.

Harper’s contempt extends in every direction. He has picked fights with the Supreme Court, interfered with immigration, muzzled scientists and even tried to get rid of basic knowledge about Canada and Canadians by killing the mandatory long-form census.

Though Harper demands Canadians trust him — against all evidence — he has been clear he has no trust in Canadians. His insistence on secrecy crossed over into paranoia long ago. His unique blend of passive-aggressive paternalism assumes we will do what Daddy tells us even though it hurts.

On the world stage, Harper has undone the work of 60 years, turning Canada from respected international player to global no-show. How many times has his stance on climate change earned Canada the Fossil of the Year award? His emotional capacity ranges from petulance to rage with little in between. This is a man who doesn’t know the difference between a smile and a smirk.

Gone are the days when a red maple leaf sewn on a backpack was enough to draw smiles from strangers. Today, acknowledged laggards on any number of files, we are more likely to get a lecture or a Harper-like shrug. From the environment to foreign aid, Israel to Ukraine, Canada’s reputation has taken a severe beating.

Most shocking, perhaps, was the episode of the Syrian refugees. This gave Harper and his mouthpiece, immigration minister Chris Alexander, a chance to display fully their hostility to Muslims, er, terrorists, and the idea of letting them into the country. Followed up with a gratuitous attack on the niqab, the duo made its appeal directly to Canadians’ worst instincts.

Little wonder we’ve reached the point where even dyed-in-the-wool Conservatives realize that Harper must go. His leadership has been the real issue of this election from the start. So when Harper’s main offering is more of the same, Canadians have cause for concern.

His efforts to move Canada to the right have succeeded in many respects, but Canadians remain more cautious than conservative. Though voters are susceptible to the lower-taxes-at-any-cost mantra, his culture of no has left the country in a state of dangerous disrepair. Cities crumble while social services and health care are stretched to the limit.

Of course, Harper can’t be blamed for all our woes. Though charmless and awkward, arrogant and amoral, he has limited powers. Only his control of the Conservative party is absolute, and what a mess it is. Just ask Mike Duffy. Harper has now banned his own candidates from speaking publically, from participating in locals candidates’ debates. He has reduced them to ciphers. To vote for a Tory — any Tory — is to vote for Harper.

After this campaign, that’s no longer an option.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
I had no idea he was so hated.

What does 'proroguing' do?

Will the revolution be televised?

....its basically a suspension of Parliament....which Harper did when things got hot politically ...

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/House/compendium/web-content/c_d_prorogationparliament-e.htm

....example...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/governor-general-formally-prorogues-parliament/article14305321/

http://o.canada.com/news/national/alert-governor-general-approves-harpers-request-to-prorogue-parliament

....generally not done, and certainly not for partisan political purposes, unless the Governor General, who is supposed to be politically independent, is a lackey as was Johnston ( think the US Supreme Court giving The Chimp the election in 2000 under "dubious" circumstances )....seen in Canada as stunt typically played by yanqui Wrong Wing scumbags....we like to think we should play at a higher level ( one of the knocks against Harper is that he has brought 'Merikan style politics to Canada )....

Cheers

Re:

blutto said:
....what an incredible surprise....I had to sit immediately upon reading this as I was experiencing vapours...

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article43170.htm

Cheers

Is there anybody, anywhere that doesn't think the second Gulf war was a HUGE mistake, that even the next GOP nominee for POTUS agrees with? The Donald. ??

Dismantling Iraq is directly related to ISIL, AND the Syrian mess AND Iran rattling sabers AND Russia's entry..Big mess...But pretty old news..Kinda like talking about Eisenhower's and Kennedy's entry into Vietnam.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
NATO front cracking: Slovakia welcomes Russia's involvement in Syria

http://www.sott.net/article/304186-NATO-front-cracking-Slovakia-welcomes-Russias-involvement-in-Syria

my parting comment:
iirc, a few days back, both the czechs and the slovaks - unlike the other hysterical eastern europeans said no to the foreign nato troops on their soil supposedly to 'protect' them from the russian invasion. since i lived in prague for several years, i know for a fact they aren't particularly friendly towards the russians and their memory of the 1968 invasion still runs wide... then why aren't they toeing the anti-vlad hysteria as zealously as say the next-door poland ?

i can't know for sure, but assume it is related to them being further away and perhaps some business/economic relations. also, i believe that even during my time i noticed the difference btwn 'remembering the 1968' and 'resenting the 1968'. both peoples imo are less 'ideological' than some of the neighbors.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
.....things here in Soviet Canuckistan have suddenly got real weird on the eve of our national elections....the Globe and Mail, the paper of record here came up with an endorsement that was so convoluted that one could only conclude that either massive amounts of acid were involved or the editor had a gun to his head and the editorial was actually a coded scream for help...people were scratching their heads wonder like wtf ?...

...then the following article appeared and it contained the following...

"Big oil. Big media. And now, a big endorsement.

Postmedia, a company now largely owned primarily by U.S. hedge funds, has championed Stephen Harper as a "clear choice" in the 2015 federal election.

The Ottawa Citizen became the latest of the network's publications to endorse the Conservatives in a Friday editorial, joining the Edmonton Journal, the Toronto Sun, The Province, the Globe and Mail, the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, and at least five other publications.

The endorsement wasn't by the editorial staff, however, as Edmonton Journal writer Paula Simons said in a tweet:

And yes. Before you ask, this was a decision made by the owners of the paper. As is their traditional prerogative.
— Paula Simons (@Paulatics) October 16, 2015 "

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/10/16/news/postmedias-oily-harper-endorsement

....and then there is this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/18/postmedia-front-page-ads_n_8326634.html

....which is just another heaping helping of weird....

...gonna be very interesting to see how the electorate will respond if this gets wide coverage...one of the possibilities is that this will blow up in Harper's face .....to have a yangui hedge fund pull a stunt like may really hit a nerve, like a sore tooth kinda nerve....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....further on the yanqui vulture fund yanking Soviet Canuckistanian chains to affect the national elections....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"But Postmedia's flagship paper has yet to pick their winner. The decision of its editorial board is expected imminently. The head of that board is Andrew Coyne.

As a masthead editor of a conservative newspaper, Coyne knows he must toe the company line. But Coyne is also his own brand with his own voice — an influential pundit and opinionator who endorsed the Liberals in 2011 (in Maclean's) and who then wrote a series of scathing anti-Harper columns.

CANADALAND has learned that though Coyne the editor has signed off on an official National Post Harper endorsement, Coyne the columnist planned to endorse a different candidate under his own byline in the paper tomorrow.

But the National Post won't run it."

....from... http://canadalandshow.com/article/andrew-coyne-v-national-post

....good on Mr Coyne and shame on the scumbags....

Cheers

Re:

blutto said:
...."Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead"....

Cheers
I don't know Harper at all, but from what I have seen he is divisive and like almost any politician in power for such a long time entrenched in his ways. It was certainly time for him to go. Some similiarities to Chrétien in this respect?

I saw a short extract of a leader's debate and found Trudeau to be pretty light, relying on promising handouts in order to get elected, not a lot of vision or leadership on display. I hope he has more than that to offer.

Give Harper credit for one thing, he leaves finances in relatively good shape, which is much more than most other countries can hope for.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

frenchfry said:
blutto said:

Cheers
I don't know Harper at all, but from what I have seen he is divisive and like almost any politician in power for such a long time entrenched in his ways. It was certainly time for him to go. Some similiarities to Chrétien in this respect?

I saw a short extract of a leader's debate and found Trudeau to be pretty light, relying on promising handouts in order to get elected, not a lot of vision or leadership on display. I hope he has more than that to offer.

Give Harper credit for one thing, he leaves finances in relatively good shape, which is much more than most other countries can hope for.

.....relative is probably a generous way to put it....as in relative to a real absolute unmitigated economic disaster....Harper took office with a rather large surplus and then ran 8 straight deficits ( in fact everyone of his budgets ended as a deficit...though technically one was barely not a deficit but that was due to some very suspect accounting and selling of government assets )....he pulled money from education and research and business development so really pooched our future....his economic policy was one dimensional with all the focus on the fossil fuel industry ....the industrial heartland is now a hollowed out shell ( and do keep in mind that Canada is economically larger than Russia so Harper had a lot of hollowing out to do )...

....or put it another way...if the preceding Liberal government had not left the country in such relative good shape the Harper economic trajectory would have produced an epic economic disaster....

...Harper was a plague on this country, economically , politically , socially and culturally....

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x330/chefurka/Frodo_zpslmoqjyhl.jpg

....Sauron and his army of evil orcs have been vanquished ( for the time being ) but the fight continues...and as an extra added bonus the second biggest a$$hole in Canadian politics, Thomas Mulcair, has been shown the door ( lets hope he takes it and the NDP can go back to its roots... )

Cheers

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
if any interest about the canada's new govt, i'd be interested in where they are likely to steer the country's foreign policy ? where it would be the same and where and why different ?

specifically, what did they stand on during the election wrt to nato, the middle east/israel, europe at large and its eastern part specifically. i reckon the ukrainian 'question' aint likely to undergo changes given the influence and power of the ukrainian community in canada...also, i heard the neighbour to the south shouldn't be worried...

blutto said:
frenchfry said:
blutto said:

Cheers

.....relative is probably a generous way to put it....as in relative to a real absolute unmitigated economic disaster....Harper took office with a rather large surplus and then ran 8 straight deficits ( in fact everyone of his budgets ended as a deficit...though technically one was barely not a deficit but that was due to some very suspect accounting and selling of government assets )....he pulled money from education and research and business development so really pooched our future....his economic policy was one dimensional with all the focus on the fossil fuel industry ....the industrial heartland is now a hollowed out shell ( and do keep in mind that Canada is economically larger than Russia so Harper had a lot of hollowing out to do )...

....or put it another way...if the preceding Liberal government had not left the country in such relative good shape the Harper economic trajectory would have produced an epic economic disaster....

...Harper was a plague on this country, economically , politically , socially and culturally....

....Sauron and his army of evil orcs have been vanquished ( for the time being ) but the fight continues...and as an extra added bonus the second biggest a$$hole in Canadian politics, Thomas Mulcair, has been shown the door ( lets hope he takes it and the NDP can go back to its roots... )

Cheers
I am not defending Harper, as I said I really didn't follow his government. However, all western governments faced significant financial challenges with the "financial crisis" and Canada comes out pretty well compared to most. Whether this is due to Harper's good governing I can't say. In France we are stuck in a quagmire of deficits and debt and are headed for a major fall perhaps not unlike Greece due to spending that is 15-20% greater than revenues and ever increasing government handouts that are used to buy votes (but in the end don't even acheive that).

I just hope Trudeau bis is a serious manager and not just a handout artist.

He is charasmatic though!

PS the senator scandals and Harper campaigning with the Fords lead me to believe he deserved the electoral spanking he received.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

python said:
if any interest about the canada's new govt, i'd be interested in where they are likely to steer the country's foreign policy ? where it would be the same and where and why different ?

specifically, what did they stand on during the election wrt to nato, the middle east/israel, europe at large and its eastern part specifically. i reckon the ukrainian 'question' aint likely to undergo changes given the influence and power of the ukrainian community in canada...also, i heard the neighbour to the south shouldn't be worried...

...much has to be done to get Canada back to the older " peace broker" role that Canada tended to play and away from the jingoistic lapdog of imperialism that Harper preferred....the only thing that really stands out is Trudeau is on record as not supporting the settlement movement in Israel ( Harper was a most fervent Israel Firster as was Mulcair the leader of what had been a very left leaning party....Mulcair was pushed/backed to leadership by some very prominent members of the Canadian Jewish community that back Likud policies...in fact Mulcair huge defeat was in significant part due to his repudiation of the traditional support of the Palestinian cause by the NDP and the purging of several candidates who voiced such support and of course there was his push to take the party to the "mushy middle" and away from the NDP's traditional decidedly left leanings...)...

....btw this push back against Israeli Firsters aso had significant support within the Canadian Jewish community, see Joe Oliver's defeat in a largely Jewish Canadian riding as a good example...

...how this translates into the rest of the foreign policy portfolio is going to very interesting....though I think the jingoistic puppy dawg stance is pretty certain to be put to sleep....and btw this interest in a push back from supporting imperialist militarism is also being echoed among the rank and file of the Canadian military....

...as for the Ukrainian file....well...the current Ukrainian regime is proving to be the ongong and ever worsening disaster that many predicted it would become, and this reality will quickly erode the wide spread support now enjoyed by the Porky govt among Ukrainian Ukrainians...read reality will help drive things to a saner stance soon...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

frenchfry said:
blutto said:
frenchfry said:
blutto said:

Cheers

Cheers
I am not defending Harper, as I said I really didn't follow his government. However, all western governments faced significant financial challenges with the "financial crisis" and Canada comes out pretty well compared to most. Whether this is due to Harper's good governing I can't say. In France we are stuck in a quagmire of deficits and debt and are headed for a major fall perhaps not unlike Greece due to spending that is 15-20% greater than revenues and ever increasing government handouts that are used to buy votes (but in the end don't even acheive that).

I just hope Trudeau bis is a serious manager and not just a handout artist.

He is charasmatic though!

PS the senator scandals and Harper campaigning with the Fords lead me to believe he deserved the electoral spanking he received.

...while significant, and getting very splashy headlines those issues were among the least of Harper's problems....frankly there wasn't a file he touched that didn't up stinking to hi heaven....his reign was an unmitigated disaster on so many levels it was often very hard to keep up...

...he followed the Bush/Cheney game plan and took every opportunity to politicize the bureaucracy and function of the government apparatus...it will take years to root out the Conservative fellow travellers that are salted away in key areas of the governmental bureaucracy....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Congratulations to Canada for voting communist. Soon, we Americans may have President Trump suggesting we build a wall along our northern border as well. ;)

....any little thing we can do to push that project forward....like being good neighbours and all, we would love to just pitch in and get 'er done eh...

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Congratulations to Canada for voting communist. Soon, we Americans may have President Trump suggesting we build a wall along our northern border as well. ;)
Makes Blutto's "Soviet Canuckastan" moniker seem more fitting? :D

....damn straight ( or whatever the current contemporary saying is ) :D .....can't really explain how wonderful today feels ( we actually danced a wild jig around the living room last night when Trudeau achieved a majority :D )....it is like a huge ugly cloud has been lifted ( and it reality it actually has here...we were supposed to get some real miserable weather this morning but the sun is shining and the temperatures have gone up....I think a nice long ride to celebrate is in order...)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.