• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 861 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...rtedly-talks-help-forge-occupying-force-syria
Blackwater founder Erik Prince, whose former mercenary firm was behind the massacre of civilians in Iraq, has been approached about helping to forge an Arab military force to replace the U.S. presence in Syria, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The White House is evidently considering the advice of Prince, who last summer proposed to the Trump administration a plan to replace U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan with contractors from foreign countries, who would be overseen by "an American viceroy who would lead all U.S. government and coalition efforts—including command, budget, policy, promotion, and contracting—and report directly to the president."

As Common Dreams reported at the time, the war profiteer's concept amounted to "literal colonialism" according to one critic. Washington Post foreign affairs writer Ishaan Tharoor denounced the idea as "sheer 19th century bloodlust and thirst for empire."

According to the Journal, "Mr. Prince said Monday that he has been informally contacted by Arab officials about the prospect of building a force in Syria but that he was waiting to see what Mr. Trump would do."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-to-syria-under-wider-coalition-idUSKBN1HO2DD
Saudi Arabia would be prepared to send troops into Syria as part of the U.S.-led coalition if a decision was taken to widen it, Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on Tuesday.

“We are in discussion with the U.S. and have been since the beginning of the Syrian crisis about sending forces into Syria,” Jubeir told a news conference in Riyadh with U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

He said Riyadh had expressed its readiness while Barack Obama was U.S. President to send ground forces into Syria if the United States were to add an on-the-ground component to the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State insurgents.

Jubeir was responding to a question about a Wall Street Journal report that the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump is seeking to assemble an Arab force to replace the U.S. military contingent in Syria.

“There are discussions regarding ... what kind of force needs to remain in eastern Syria and where that force would come from, and those discussions are ongoing,” Jubeir said.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5232885,00.html
Syria denies new overnight strike in Homs

Commander insists no fresh attack in Syria, claiming false alarm caused by a 'joint electronic attack' by Israel and the US targeting the Syrian radar system triggered air defense missiles, which reportedly shot down missiles fired at air base in Homs area.

A commander in the regional military alliance that backs the Syrian government attributed the malfunction to "a joint electronic attack" by Israel and the United States targeting the Syrian radar system.

The issue had been dealt with by Russian experts, said the commander, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity.

The US Defense Department quickly put out a statement in the wake of the reported attack saying, "There is no US military activity in that area at this time."

"We do not have additional details to provide," Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon said.

The IDF Spokesperson's Unit has declined comment as well, and no reports pointed a finger in blame at Israel thus far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lls-snap-vote-for-first-time-in-party-history
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for early elections, moving to consolidate his one-man rule a year earlier than scheduled.

Turkish markets rallied after Erdogan’s announcement in Ankara that the country will go to the polls June 24 to pick a president, almost certainly ratifying his hold on power. The result will complete the transformation of the political system of the region’s largest economy, eliminating the prime minister’s job and weakening the role of parliament.

Should go better then May's snap election in 2017! :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions-response/russia-our-response-to-u-s-sanctions-will-be-precise-and-painful-idUSKBN1HP1DC?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29

...lots of 'expectorant' developments in the last couple of days.

thump had again provided those insisting he's a russia stooge with more fodder by refusing to enact the sanctions his un rep (freaky nikki) had said were imminent. the boss reportedly even yelled at the first ever indian american diplomat woman so high up (did i say american indian ? no i did not !). the alternative media insisted that the real reason for the undrained sump hesitation was the tough russia threat linked above from reuters. as ever, the western source missed the key threat (not that it was hard to pick up but was obviously too scary to print for a laymen pocket) - a threat to american civilian airliners. the threat of crazy tariffs for overflying the worlds biggest air space that would put them nearly out of business.

another curious tid bit was that the douma visit by the international chem inspectors was postponed due to them being fired on by ....rebels. i am expecting a story the rebel firing was the assad cook up to hide the evidence. none so far on my rss.

and lastly, i read earlier that the british regulator opened an investigation into...guess who... rt for (not sure of the official term used) for poor reporting of the skripal case. that is, the rt reporting was pro the country they never hid to represent. they did not open an investigation against bbc and the guardian for their bias, but i bet there will be a very swift and tough response to any further bashing. i recall a month ago , the rus foreign dept spokes-lady said literally, 'her majesty's media will be summarily kicked out of russia if rt is persecuted any further'

that was a response to a similar move against rt. cant say, i am not having fun :)

Dear "World Politics":

Please settle an argument between a friend and me. He says that being gassed is the worst way to go. I say that being gut shot with hot missile shrapnel in the blaring heat is the worst.

Who's right?

Thanks,
Marjorie

@Python
That threat doesn't make any sense. Hardly any US carriers overfly Russia. To get to Europe they fly over the Atlantic and for Asia they fly over the Pacific.

@Alpe73
It depends on the gas, how much, and how the gut shrapnell has affected the body. VX is supposedly not that bad to die from. Sarin and chlorine not so much.

If the choice is VX or gut shrapnel etc. I'm going VX. If it's Sarin or Chlorine I'm gonna go for the gut shrapnel in the sun.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
torebear, what exactly are you talking about. ?.all i said was what was in the media re the rus considerations for their retaliation response. naturally, some airlines depending on where they are flying from/to currently use the russian airspace. i have no specific data. i did read there is a bilateral agreement which i understand was up for a renewal some days ago. a threat of higher tariffs was about that. i didn't study the extent of the bilateral agreement, but there can be little doubt it made several american airliners very nervous when the threat was issued and later suspended...they are also talking about other retaliatory moves, which they say will hurt the us.

the point is simply that if the american almost daily declarations of bombastic sanctions were aimed to make vlad plea for mercy, it's not happening. quite opposite, they are talking of counter sanctions which may or may not be hurtful. we dont know what exactly they mean, though, i doubt little their economy will be hurt more by american sanctions. i also learned long ago bringing up 2 kids, if you overdo the stick part, which the us seems obsessed wrt to their sanctions effect, the stick just seizes to be effective...

Re:

Alpe73 said:
Dear "World Politics":

Please settle an argument between a friend and me. He says that being gassed is the worst way to go. I say that being gut shot with hot missile shrapnel in the blaring heat is the worst.

Who's right?

Thanks,
Marjorie

Well trump cares about one and not the other..making the world safe for the butcher of damascus.

The point is there are hardly any. A few routes to and from China might need a detour, but they are mostly used by chinese carriers anyway.

Had it been European or Asian carriers going to each other it would be a huge deal. But for the US it's not an issue at all. In fact I think the Russians might be more hurt by this due to their needs for overflight when going to South/Central America.

From my understanding, the reason the UN rep was left with egg on her face was because Trump and co changed their minds due to a lack of reaction from the Russians. As in they were expecting a reaction, but got none so they put the sanctions back in the drawer. Then it's of course all the Trump + Putin = :confused: .

I doubt the Russians could do anything sanctions wise against the US that would hurt the US more than Russia would be hurt by those sanctions.

The sanctions on the oligarchs might be starting to have some effect, and that could alter Putins calculations.

I would say Putin needs more stick, since the carrots didn't work. ;)

Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
Alpe73 said:
Dear "World Politics":

Who's right?

Thanks,
Marjorie

Well trump cares about one and not the other..making the world safe for the butcher of damascus.
Look on the bright side. At least he cares about one. ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
iran has promised a harsh and surprising response to the us scrapping the nuclear deal, which seems a given having in mind the new hawks in the trump band...

i wonder what that implies since the harshest steps - like leaving the non-proliferation treaty - would likely get iran in hot water with europe, which currently supports the deal. i personally think that macron may get trump to agree to another 3 months extension, but it matters little at this point since i doubt iran is going to sit by depending on the trump whim or good will. i also cant see at this point how trump can bring the pressure short of an outright attack on the nuclear facilities that would reverse iran even in the slightest.

i see it as a lose-lose for america or for the west in general if europe prostitutes itself once again. in fact, i cant see any winners if the deal collapses, except hoping that europe get some balls and accelerate its sovereignty seeing another fiasco attaching itself to the us foreign policy.

cant see how china or russia can benefit from a nuclear-armed iran, but it is also clear they arent going to do american bidding while having been waged a trade war against or being under the sanctions.

Re:

python said:
iran has promised a harsh and surprising response to the us scrapping the nuclear deal, which seems a given having in mind the new hawks in the trump band...

i wonder what that implies since the harshest steps - like leaving the non-proliferation treaty - would likely get iran in hot water with europe, which currently supports the deal. i personally think that macron may get trump to agree to another 3 months extension, but it matters little at this point since i doubt iran is going to sit by depending on the trump whim or good will. i also cant see at this point how trump can bring the pressure short of an outright attack on the nuclear facilities that would reverse iran even in the slightest.

i see it as a lose-lose for america or for the west in general if europe prostitutes itself once again. in fact, i cant see any winners if the deal collapses, except hoping that europe get some balls and accelerate its sovereignty seeing another fiasco attaching itself to the us foreign policy.

cant see how china or russia can benefit from a nuclear-armed iran, but it is also clear they arent going to do american bidding while having been waged a trade war against or being under the sanctions.

Bolton wants donnie to jump off the Iran Nuke deal..so Iran can start enrichment again, so he can convince donnie to hit Iran militarily..won't be the cake walk the one in Iraq was(either GW 1 or 2) but a whole different gig with Iran.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/opinion/to-stop-irans-bomb-bomb-iran.html

Bolton is a fool is a fool's administration..He STILL believes WMD's were in Iraq..he's trump's Goring w/a mustache.

Re:

Alpe73 said:
Dear "World Politics":

Who's right?

Thanks,
Marjorie

I have not paid any attention whatsoever to this thread, so I may be missing something here.
The former is most definitely the worst way to go. That takes some time, bro.
I've never been shot, but I assume the experience would cause sensory overload and make you pass out almost immediately.
p.s. Neither comes even close to being the worst. Think sharks.
Think Grizzly bears. You know what I mean? Getting eaten by either would cause a world of hurt.

Bustedknuckle said:
python said:

Bolton wants donnie to jump off the Iran Nuke deal..so Iran can start enrichment again, so he can convince donnie to hit Iran militarily..won't be the cake walk the one in Iraq was(either GW 1 or 2) but a whole different gig with Iran.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/opinion/to-stop-irans-bomb-bomb-iran.html

Bolton is a fool is a fool's administration..He STILL believes WMD's were in Iraq..he's trump's Goring w/a mustache.

I'm hoping fool+fool=wise

Or fool + fool + actual power = realization of consequences.

And with all this hope, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mueller will save the day.

BullsFan22 said:
ToreBear said:
Anatomy of a russian propaganda campaign.
How and why the white helmets have become the boogey man to consumers of Russian propaganda.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/vanessa-beeley-syria-white-helmets_uk_5ad9b6cae4b03c426dad48a9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jERWeylLH-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCu8mNC1JyE

What a hottie!
Anyway I'm impressed with the Boy and his father speaking so clearly about the event. The pressure to tell the right story must have been a lot for the boy to handle so soon after having suffered a chemical weapons attack. Nice that they were interviewed in a safe environment at the Syrian Arab Armies officer club. It shows clearly how likely it is for them to tell any other version than the government line. Hopefully the boy and family will remain safe.
https://theintercept.com/2018/04/23/russian-tv-interview-syrian-boy-secretly-conducted-army-facility/

Status
Not open for further replies.