• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobblestones said:
With all the tea party guys in Congress now, at least we'll all get a healthy tax cut and a balanced budget. And we will pay off all the debt to China. And we'll strengthen our military. It'll be great.

Finally! Somebody who's Right!

Hey, Boeing:
The "Progressive Agenda" is what put us here in the first place, and the first Progressive was a Republican called Teddy Roosevelt, then It was a Dem called Wildrow Wilson! So It doe's not matter what Political Party you belong too.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
contador fan no matter what said:

Hey, Boeing:
The "Progressive Agenda" is what put us here in the first place, and the first Progressive was a Republican called Teddy Roosevelt, then It was a Dem called Wildrow Wilson! So It doe's not matter what Political Party you belong too.

This is what put us here in the first place..

0115_george_bush_getty-1.jpg

Spare Tyre said:
I saw the amount of hope vested in Obama (and the joy and relief after he was elected) as indicative of the despair people had come to feel during the previous (G W Bush) administration. That hope and sense of relief was felt around the world, as was fear at the possibility of McCain & Palin being in charge.

There was a similar feeling in Australia in 2007 when the Howard government was ousted after about 12 years. Many people felt they no longer needed to be ashamed of their country. Many people felt that society & government could now return to the more progressive and humane mode that had preceded this particular government. There was a huge sense of relief. But things had changed in the meantime, the new government was fond of PR spin so its credibility fell and they made some unwise strategic manoevres so the hope for a better future fell away. I'd be surprised if that sense of hope returns in a hurry. We are an extremely cynical electorate now.

I would never be ashamed of a leader. I may find them terrible, and disagree completely with them politically, but they are just pursuing their selfish goals of re-election etc. When it comes to the thought processes of voters which translate into votes and electing someone, then yes, I'm ashamed of those who contributed to that outcome. These days politicians are more or less a reflection of social attitudes (of course politicians can fuel certain attitudes). Behind every failed leader is 40% or so of the voting population who put them there in the first place. For me, Rudd confirmed that progressive attitudes are dead in this country. At least in the mainstream... I find overly idealistic progressiveness as annoying as conservatism. It seems as though today I can't be pleased.

Gillard is a slight improvement but a long way from her Communist days, there's probably consensus across the floor apart from the minor parties and Labor Left.

I find the scenes Hitch describes a bit sickening really. He's just another politician, it wasn't a revolution. How could anyone believe in a Centrist politician today? Not that I despise politicians, as much as Rudd was a basket case I think he committed himself enormously to run the country (not the party) how he saw best fit, moreso than Howard and Gillard. Unfortunately the ALP didn't agree (as per all the reports over the last few months).

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Your wrong! but he's is certanly not the best pres( too much dealing with the UN )

Here's the top 2 best:

1:

george-washington-picture.jpg

2:

ronald-reagan-picture.jpg

So you'd say GW, RR, leaving GWB in the top 10?:eek:

I'd actually rate RR as definitely the worst of since the 20th century began. I mean, a Voodoo priest as POTUS. The intellectual father of the Tea baggers! Terrible!

Hey, Boeing:

I dont know how progressive Wilson would be by modern standards. The first film ever played at the white house was "birth of a nation" under Woodraw Wilson. It helps if you know that birth of a nation was produced by kkk productions. In fact the kkk was quite solidly behind the democrat party in the early 20th century. The republicans did not win any southern state in elections for decades.

On the other hand Wilson did (after advice from exiles) mention my native Poland specifically in his 14 points so i have a soft spot for him there. And the League of nations was a decent idea.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
With all the tea party guys in Congress now, at least we'll all get a healthy tax cut and a balanced budget. And we will pay off all the debt to China. And we'll strengthen our military. It'll be great.

Is this a joke?

Is this the new math?

"at least we'll all get a healthy tax cut and a balanced budget"

An explanation of the above would provide a lifetime of entertainment.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Wow, Mojo Nixon. I almost forgot he existed. The Mojo Nixon reference also reminded me of the song Punk Rock Girl by the Dead Milkmen.

Anyway, here's my contribution to the discussion on rednecks:

get_a_brain_morans.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
That really does explain a lot. I'm not joking.

I'm not saying I'm a genius in the least, but projecting as a psychological phenomenon is a tremendous fault.

BTW, what do rednecks have against Jimmy Page?

I have to say that you really rose to the challenge with a succinct answer.

Them Crooked Vultures are the answer when the question is how to pee in the tea..no tea party for me thanks..The Tea Party is the best thing that has happened to the Dem Party in 10 years. When Paul and the funky bunch show up with heads full of ideals about how to start a revolution they will have spinning heads after a month of special interest and lobbyists at every corner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp97OVybUM&feature=related
Not Jimmy but instead John Paul

buckwheat said:

I'd actually rate RR as definitely the worst of since the 20th century began. I mean, a Voodoo priest as POTUS. The intellectual father of the Tea baggers! Terrible!

leaving GWB in the top 10? no way! he's about th 19th best, because he was first to start the Stimulus.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Them Crooked Vultures are the answer when the question is how to pee in the tea..no tea party for me thanks..The Tea Party is the best thing that has happened to the Dem Party in 10 years. When Paul and the funky bunch show up with heads full of ideals about how to start a revolution they will have spinning heads after a month of special interest and lobbyists at every corner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp97OVybUM&feature=related
Not Jimmy but instead John Paul

Good stuff!

Their tour was titled, "Deserve the Future.":eek:

Pretty funny quote;

Grohl said in an interview that they are working on a second album that will be "more powerful than the first one".

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:
Is this a joke?

Is this the new math?

It was sarcasm. Ease up.

A

Anonymous

Hey, Boeing:

If by that you mean 100 years of the greatest prosperity for the greatest number of people in the history of mankind, they yea. You teabaggers never seem to realize that there isn't a major industrialized nation on the planet that uses your ivory tower (cut taxes and spending) ideas. None. Ever ask yourself why, if your ideas are so ****ing great, nobody actually puts them into practice?

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:

"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter."
Dick Cheney

Both would be run out of the teabagging party.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
Um, a significant proportion of the population were not impressed with a range of Howard government policies. Certainly not my "single minded" view. I think he was a very able politician though, as in, he played the political game in a wily fashion.

Nope, not a teacher.

1996 Coalition: 94 Labor 49
1998 Coalition 80 Labor 67
2001 Coalition 82 Labor 65
2004 Coalition 87 Labor 60

Hardly unpopular... The fact he was in for 11 years says he was not unpopular. Even though the IR Laws were a very bad idea no matter what spin you can put on it you cannot deny he was very good.

Did you watch the State Election debate tonight?

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
1996 Coalition: 94 Labor 49
1998 Coalition 80 Labor 67
2001 Coalition 82 Labor 65
2004 Coalition 87 Labor 60

Hardly unpopular... The fact he was in for 11 years says he was not unpopular. Even though the IR Laws were a very bad idea no matter what spin you can put on it you cannot deny he was very good.

Did you watch the State Election debate tonight?

LOL, I didn't say he was unpopular! He was obviously (and from my perspective, sadly) popular for a number of electoral cycles. I said that a significant number of people found many of his government's policies to be appalling, and it's true. I realise you get your information from tabloid media and probably read Andrew Bolt, but surely even you heard whisper of opposition to various policies? The Howard government prompted a vigorous regeneration of grassroots activism. I had never seen anything like it.

I have already acknowledged he was a good politician, good in this context meaning wily, strategic, able to play the political game.

Frankly if I ever meet him (& I hear reports of the odd sighting here or there, so you never know your luck) I will be telling him that I hope he faces court on charges of war crimes for committing Australia to participation in the invasion of Iraq.

No, I didn't watch the debate. I know enough about politics in this state to know who I am voting for. (And in case you think otherwise, I am most definitely not a fan of the current government. I didn't like the Rudd government either, and I loathed the possibility of an Abbott government.)

Thoughtforfood said:
If by that you mean 100 years of the greatest prosperity for the greatest number of people in the history of mankind, they yea. You teabaggers never seem to realize that there isn't a major industrialized nation on the planet that uses your ivory tower (cut taxes and spending) ideas. None. Ever ask yourself why, if your ideas are so ****ing great, nobody actually puts them into practice?

HAHAHA! your funny! What you call our ideas arn't our ideas, there from God and the Founding Fathers! and By the way, why are the other nations falling? because the turned back away from their Principles.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Is this a joke?

Is this the new math?

No joke, that's what they told me. And I heard that everybody is getting a pony, too. Sarah Palin can explain the math of it much better than I can. Unless math is some pinko-commie invention by the lame street media. Actually, come to think about it, math is a foreign thing, isn't it? Chinese I guess? Then I'd not trust it much, anyway.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Quick question

Cobblestones said:
No joke, that's what they told me. And I heard that everybody is getting a pony, too. Sarah Palin can explain the math of it much better than I can. Unless math is some pinko-commie invention by the lame street media. Actually, come to think about it, math is a foreign thing, isn't it? Chinese I guess? Then I'd not trust it much, anyway.

What are the prospects of a future Lance Armstrong political career?

Open ended question. All resposnses are appreciated.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
LOL, I didn't say he was unpopular! He was obviously (and from my perspective, sadly) popular for a number of electoral cycles. I said that a significant number of people found many of his government's policies to be appalling, and it's true. I realise you get your information from tabloid media and probably read Andrew Bolt, but surely even you heard whisper of opposition to various policies? The Howard government prompted a vigorous regeneration of grassroots activism. I had never seen anything like it.

I have already acknowledged he was a good politician, good in this context meaning wily, strategic, able to play the political game.

Frankly if I ever meet him (& I hear reports of the odd sighting here or there, so you never know your luck) I will be telling him that I hope he faces court on charges of war crimes for committing Australia to participation in the invasion of Iraq.

No, I didn't watch the debate. I know enough about politics in this state to know who I am voting for. (And in case you think otherwise, I am most definitely not a fan of the current government. I didn't like the Rudd government either, and I loathed the possibility of an Abbott government.)

Well if I read tabloid media and andrew bolt then you would watch the ABC who is so biased against the Liberal party it is not funny.

Having the amount of greens that are in the federal parliament and the amount of greens who could possibly win seats in the state election is scary. And you would be surprised to know that I have voted different in State elections than in federal elections. I am undecided this time.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Well if I read tabloid media and andrew bolt then you would watch the ABC who is so biased against the Liberal party it is not funny.

Having the amount of greens that are in the federal parliament and the amount of greens who could possibly win seats in the state election is scary. And you would be surprised to know that I have voted different in State elections than in federal elections. I am undecided this time.

Given that the ABC is funded by the government that is really saying something!

This pretty much sums up Howard's political philosophy....

xinsrc_03c984f821cd4771ad11349fe407b9ee_anti-bush.jpg

A

Anonymous

HAHAHA! your funny! What you call our ideas arn't our ideas, there from God and the Founding Fathers! and By the way, why are the other nations falling? because the turned back away from their Principles.

You are a ****ing moron. They are not failing. People like you are too stupid to know game of three card monte when you see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS