• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 270 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
Your kind has been trying everything to destroy public schools since 1964..Worried about union dues supporting political action? A corporation is certainly a collective that uses its resources for political ends..In fact what corporations and collectives that never are questioned by you do in our political system dwarf any union funded activity to the point where it is not even worth mentioning, much less sh- ting your pants like you do..Probably half of congress or more only concerns themselves with the business of Exxon and Lockheed..Most of the other half only the business of stock brokers(now called investment bankers)..But here you are whining about teachers (women mostly)....

For the moment I'll ingnore the fact that you don't comprehend what you read.

Not that corporations buying political favors is does not happen, clearly it does and it is a monumental failure of our system.

But there is a difference between publicly supported entities using dues from employees who derive their income from the public kitty only to use those public dollars to buy favors from those who have the power and will to tax. It's a pretty good deal and no doubt why the unions are fighting as hard as they are.

I don't expect you have the capacity to see or comprehend the difference here, but one exists nevertheless.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
Your kind has been trying everything to destroy public schools since 1964..Worried about union dues supporting political action? A corporation is certainly a collective that uses its resources for political ends..In fact what corporations and collectives that never are questioned by you do in our political system dwarf any union funded activity to the point where it is not even worth mentioning, much less sh- ting your pants like you do..Probably half of congress or more only concerns themselves with the business of Exxon and Lockheed..Most of the other half only the business of stock brokers(now called investment bankers)..But here you are whining about teachers (women mostly)....

My kind? Why, that's kind of racist comment, isn't it?

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:

Many times I think you go to far. In this case however, you are spot on. Not only has the Republican Party tried to destroy public education (I will quote Ralph Reed here: "I would rather have a thousand school board members than one president and no school board members."), but they de-emphasize education on every level. Part of their base are uneducated, ill-informed red-necks, and they play to that crowd. They put forth simple, black and white arguments and talking points, and then attack people who try to say an issue is more complicated. They rely on ignorance to fuel their actual agenda, which is to support the upper 5% of wealth holders.

Its interesting, I am currently reading a case Swift v. Tyson (1841) that allowed the Federal courts to supercede state law (there is going to be a REALLY interesting twist here for Tea Party types) in civil diversity cases. The Federal courts used the ruling to render judgments that were highly biased to corporate interests. It was a cornerstone of the Guilded Age. Interestingly, when the SC reversed the precedent in Erie, it gave states the power to stop corporate entities from fu*king over the majority of the populace.

The problem we have with Tea Party types is that they are completely ignorant of the actual practice of their "limited government" policies. Like I always say, there is a reason that every major industrialized nation has a mixed economic system, only most are much less self-hating than is our's. When politicians continue to beat the drum of "the government sucks, they can do nothing right, everything they do is a mess, all people who work for the government are detestable, we pay their salaries and they make too much, public education is in shambles (not a true reflection of the majority of education, but why present facts. Cognitive dissonance will not allow them to see otherwise), teachers are mostly horrible, its the unions fault that they suck, they probably should be paid more, but lets cut their pay and benefits anyway to show them what we ACTUALLY think of them, etc, etc, etc...

If people cannot see how the narrative of the Republican Party only makes things worse, I don't know what to tell them.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Many times I think you go to far. In this case however, you are spot on. Not only has the Republican Party tried to destroy public education (I will quote Ralph Reed here: "I would rather have a thousand school board members than one president and no school board members."), but they de-emphasize education on every level. Part of their base are uneducated, ill-informed red-necks, and they play to that crowd. They put forth simple, black and white arguments and talking points, and then attack people who try to say an issue is more complicated. They rely on ignorance to fuel their actual agenda, which is to support the upper 5% of wealth holders.

Its interesting, I am currently reading a case Swift v. Tyson (1841) that allowed the Federal courts to supercede state law (there is going to be a REALLY interesting twist here for Tea Party types) in civil diversity cases. The Federal courts used the ruling to render judgments that were highly biased to corporate interests. It was a cornerstone of the Guilded Age. Interestingly, when the SC reversed the precedent in Erie, it gave states the power to stop corporate entities from fu*king over the majority of the populace.

The problem we have with Tea Party types is that they are completely ignorant of the actual practice of their "limited government" policies. Like I always say, there is a reason that every major industrialized nation has a mixed economic system, only most are much less self-hating than is our's. When politicians continue to beat the drum of "the government sucks, they can do nothing right, everything they do is a mess, all people who work for the government are detestable, we pay their salaries and they make too much, public education is in shambles (not a true reflection of the majority of education, but why present facts. Cognitive dissonance will not allow them to see otherwise), teachers are mostly horrible, its the unions fault that they suck, they probably should be paid more, but lets cut their pay and benefits anyway to show them what we ACTUALLY think of them, etc, etc, etc...

If people cannot see how the narrative of the Republican Party only makes things worse, I don't know what to tell them.

Well put.

Republican party success = convincing constituents to vote against their own interests.

And I like how their govt always = waste/inefficiency/fail reasoning they use to dismantle education, EPA, FDA ect. always excludes the biggest of big govt, the military. Yeah because obviously our giant public sector army has been pretty much a failure.

Rip:30 said:
Well put.

Republican party success = convincing constituents to vote against their own interests.

And I like how their govt always = waste/inefficiency/fail reasoning they use to dismantle education, EPA, FDA ect. always excludes the biggest of big govt, the military. Yeah because obviously our giant public sector army has been pretty much a failure.

And they are amazing good at it, it is their only trick, and they ride it, fueled by the millions that they receive in corporate contributions. Why do you think the Supremes greased the wheels for them?

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:

And I think this is where we will part this tired discussion.

I was wrong, our positions are not close at all.

Good luck with your law career, I hope you do good things.

A

Anonymous

Rip:30 said:
Well put.

Smaller, efficient govt and a robust economy is voting against the interests of whom?

The problem with the other side is govt is the only solution to every issue. Any issue. BTW, protecting a sovereign nation is probably the most important function of a government, no?

Hey, dismantle the military and spend the money on teachers compensation. Makes sense to me.

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
And they are amazing good at it, it is their only trick, and they ride it, fueled by the millions that they receive in corporate contributions. Why do you think the Supremes greased the wheels for them?

Wow. We really are criminals.

Scott SoCal said:
Wow. We really are criminals.

You guys have always believed that all your ideas were good ones, that they would fix everything, when in reality they were concepts of the most damaging kind and only made everything worse.

And you thought I was only making mischief in my last post on the topic, though in fact I have explained things quite accurately, though it only succeeded in raising your ire.

But it just demanded to be said.

Privatization is not the answer, but an ideological imposition. It will never be able to resolve a crisis in America that has nothing to do with a financial dilemma but a cultural one. The states where the grammer and secondary schools do the best job in educating the most in their societies, are the post- revolutionary ones in which the idea of looking after the pubilc well-being is a chief priority of government, for which the public schools are endowed with a sense of purpose and worth like in France. But I know this is a philosphy that is simlply beyond you.

Believe whatever you want, but everything else is just nonsense as have all of your post on the schools, and the problems of so called public education.

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
You guys have always believed that all your ideas were good ones, that they would fix everything, when in reality they were concepts of the most damaging kind and only made everything worse.

And you thought I was only making mischief in my last post on the topic, though in fact I have explained things quite accurately, though it only succeeded in raising your ire.

But it just demanded to be said.

Privatization is not the answer, but an ideological imposition. It will never be able to resolve a crisis in America that has nothing to do with a financial dilemma but a cultural one. The states where the grammer and secondary schools do the best job in educating the most in their societies, are the post- revolutionary ones in which the idea of looking after the pubilc well-being is a chief priority of government, for which the public schools are endowed with a sense of purpose and worth like in France. But I know this is a philosphy that is simlply beyond you.

Believe whatever you want, but everything else is just nonsense as have all of your post on the schools, and the problems of so called public education.

Thanks for the valuable lessons Rhub. I have now come to belive that govt provides all solutions and I shall close my business tomorrow for there is no place for a for-profit enterprise in a civilized and enlightened society. I have just made out a check for the entirety of my personal fortune made payable to the Internal Revenue Service as I now come to believe the govt knows better than me how to spend my, er their money that I've been keeping (so selfishly).

I am now hoping to get a govt job somewhere but I fear I will need a re-training program. Thank goodness there will be 99 weeks of unemployment... nevermind, I don't qualify (private employer). If there is govt housing in SoCal someone please let me know as my house will be on the market tomorrow because it is patently unfair that I live in such a nice house when some of my fellow men sleep in card-board shanty's.

Rhub, I urge you to join with me and free yourself from the trappings of a materialistic, hedonistic, self-centered existence. No more wine, women and song. We must tailor our existence for the common good. We must.

Thanks again for your persistence and patience.

Scott SoCall

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Thanks for the valuable lessons Rhub. I have now come to belive that govt provides all solutions and I shall close my business tomorrow for there is no place for a for-profit enterprise in a civilized and enlightened society. I have just made out a check for the entirety of my personal fortune made payable to the Internal Revenue Service as I now come to believe the govt knows better than me how to spend my, er their money that I've been keeping (so selfishly).

I am now hoping to get a govt job somewhere but I fear I will need a re-training program. Thank goodness there will be 99 weeks of unemployment... nevermind, I don't qualify (private employer). If there is govt housing in SoCal someone please let me know as my house will be on the market tomorrow because it is patently unfair that I live in such a nice house when some of my fellow men sleep in card-board shanty's.

Rhub, I urge you to join with me and free yourself from the trappings of a materialistic, hedonistic, self-centered existence. No more wine, women and song. We must tailor our existence for the common good. We must.

Scott SoCall

oh for god sakes.. is there where you tell us how you and Ron Leichien read Fountainhead together and it changed your life?

Scott SoCal said:

Scott SoCall

We live in two worlds, Scot SoCal, the real world, which is mean, depressing, and ultimately deadly, and the simulated variety, as you should know, the world of the republican, which is thoroughly false, though it is regarded by most people as the ideal world.

Scott SoCal said:

Scott SoCall

I have never in my life met a man with a more down-to-earth head on his shoulders.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
oh for god sakes.. is there where you tell us how you and Ron Leichien read Fountainhead together and it changed your life?

Oh no. I haven't seen 'The Machine' in years.

It's the new me. It's very liberating now that I depend on the govt for my very existence. Mind-freeing, really. I finally have absolutely nothing to worry about. I think I'm in my Zen place.

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
No, they are criminals. You are just easily fooled, you are nowhere near rich enough to be one of them. You just wish you were.

Actually no. I may belong in the slammer. I have my had my taxes prepared using all available deductions. I've paid employess less than I could actually afford. I...I have made a (head held in hands) profit while in business. I failed to volunteer (what I mistakenly thought was) my money to a higher authority. Worst of all, I voted for the wrong people.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Actually no. I may belong in the slammer. I have my had my taxes prepared using all available deductions. I've paid employess less than I could actually afford. I...I have made a (head held in hands) profit while in business. I failed to volunteer (what I mistakenly thought was) my money to a higher authority. Worst of all, I voted for the wrong people.

Profit you heartless *******? You could have employed more workers had you operated at a loss. I guess now you'll be in business for another year, you selfish pr#@k. How do you look at yourself in the mirror while providing employment to others?

A

Anonymous

patricknd said:
Profit you heartless *******? You could have employed more workers had you operated at a loss. I guess now you'll be in business for another year, you selfish pr#@k. How do you look at yourself in the mirror while providing employment to others?

I know... I know. The realization of failure on my part has been swift and stark.

The good news is I am now (as well as my former employees) dependent upon the system. I now know this to be enlightened and civilized.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I know... I know. The realization of failure on my part has been swift and stark.

The good news is I am now (as well as my former employees) dependent upon the system. I now know this to be enlightened and civilized.

You need to get out of California ASAP.

A

Anonymous

Glenn_Wilson said:
You need to get out of California ASAP.

Good suggestion. In my new state of mind I can no longer think for myself, so I appreciate your help.

BTW, where should I go? Which State can best provide for me? Which public transportation system would best accomodate me? Which will leave the smallest carbon footprint?

There are so many considerations....

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:

Who here has attacked you for that?

You, and your like minded brethren, have attacked unions, teachers, the unemployed, and anyone else who is not in as powerful position as are you. And then you come in here on a cross writing sh!t like that? Cry me a fu*king river. Sucks for you that you don't like workers banding together to improve their compensation. Before unions, people with your mind set would have sarcastically included in their rant "worst of all, I hire men and pay them 25 cents per week, and require that they also bring their wife and children in to work without pay because the market will bear that...I also kick them all out when the man gets his hand chopped off because, fu*k him, he can't work and I can hire another family...well, hire the man at least, and those kids, I will put them on stools so they can reach their hands into the machinery more easily, so what if one of them gets mangled from time to time, their parents have more children...oh, and I made a profit..."

See, you fail to recognize the abject poverty and oppression present in a system where no corporation is required to recognize that they benefit from government, and therefore owe a debt back. Oh, you thought you made all that money without their help. Ask yourself this insurance guy, how much less money would you make (because you wouldn't have product to sell) if the state said "okay, fu*k it, we will let you keep your money and you can have the roads, make people pay to ride on them or let them deteriorate as they may, we don't care. And all that smoke detector, fire suppression, building codes for houses, yea, fu*k that too." Etc, etc, etc. Then lets move to the FACT that the institution of social programs and protections for workers is the back-bone for the prosperity created in the 20th century (yea, yea, I know, it was actually the John Galt's of the world...). See all that sharing of income created the ability for YOU to have customers you would not have were those programs not in effect, but yea, you are a self made man who derived no benefit at all from having a stable government...:rolleyes: The level of denial and ignorance is astounding in statements such as yours.

So yea, laugh it up about keeping your money from the tax man. You suck resources and benefit from government and then claim no responsibility to them or your fellow man. Its a great joke, huh? See, those other countries I spoke of earlier, you know, the ones that have far more extensive social programs. Part of the reason they are more successful and don't have the problems we have is that there are much fewer people like you who only want benefit from the system without any responsibility to it.

Like I always say, one day, I hope you get the country you are asking for because you will lose all that you currently have and wonder just why you didn't study history a little more.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Good suggestion. In my new state of mind I can no longer think for myself, so I appreciate your help.

BTW, where should I go? Which State can best provide for me? Which public transportation system would best accomodate me? Which will leave the smallest carbon footprint?

There are so many considerations....

I see your catching a bunch aka **** load of heat over this so I am going to make some sugestions.

New York will probably be the best.

Somewhere out in Long Island maybe.

New Jersey would be another option but has to be close to NYC to take advantage of the Public transpo.

Rhode Island may be what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.