• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 269 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Glenn_Wilson said:
President Obama’s current lack of Presidential leadership his mind numbing at this point. :(

It is a major happening for the region around Saudi to have been called in to Bahrain to quell a uprising. Very close to the edge of destruction. Not much media coverage on it but I find it surprising that the country of Bahrain having issues with a revolt. What’s next UAE?

But his golf handicap is dropping, so there's that.

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:
But his golf handicap is dropping, so there's that.

He could quit work now and still have done more time in the White House than Bush...that man spent a lot of time in Crawford...

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
He could quit work now and still have done more time in the White House than Bush...that man spent a lot of time in Crawford...

Well at the moment President Obama has only had 2 full years of service. You really can not compare totals unless President Obama gets a second term.

I guess somewhere on the interwebs there is a total comparison for both of them in their first 2 years in the office of President.

I will go look on the interwebs .....

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Nah, lets beat on them more, tell them how badly they are doing, how overpaid they are, and how they don't deserve to make as much as people in the private sector because unemployment is high. Its the Republican way...

Perhaps if there were competition for teachers services there would be a different compensation structure.

From the NY Times article;

Raising teachers’ status is not mainly about raising salaries, the report says, but pay is a factor.

And

In an interview, Mr. Schleicher said the point was not that the United States spends too little on public education — only Luxembourg among the O.E.C.D. countries spends more per elementary student — but rather that American schools spend disproportionately on other areas, like bus transportation and sports facilities.

“You can spend a lot of money on education, but if you don’t spend it wisely, on improving the quality of instruction, you won’t get higher student outcomes,” Mr. Schleicher said.

Or just ignore the systemic problems (which is the decades old template) and just give the teachers what they want. Hell, pay them double. Firemen and cops too. If they break cities, counties and states... so what? I mean, what's the point of a good education if you are robbed in your house while it's on fire?

Big Govt can't live with less so why should big govt workers have to?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Perhaps if there were competition for teachers services there would be a different compensation structure.

And

In an interview, Mr. Schleicher said the point was not that the United States spends too little on public education — only Luxembourg among the O.E.C.D. countries spends more per elementary student — but rather that American schools spend disproportionately on other areas, like bus transportation and sports facilities.

“You can spend a lot of money on education, but if you don’t spend it wisely, on improving the quality of instruction, you won’t get higher student outcomes,” Mr. Schleicher said.

Or just ignore the systemic problems (which is the decades old template) and just give the teachers what they want. Hell, pay them double. Firemen and cops too. If they break cities, counties and states... so what? I mean, what's the point of a good education if you are robbed in your house while it's on fire?

Make these kids walk or ride bikes to school. F busses and cars.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Patriotism in the 90s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beF_gjnwU5E

vs patriotism now

68457952_aaddff7768.jpg

WTF went wrong?

Glenn_Wilson said:
President Obama’s current lack of Presidential leadership his mind numbing at this point. :(

It is a major happening for the region around Saudi to have been called in to Bahrain to quell a uprising. Very close to the edge of destruction. Not much media coverage on it but I find it surprising that the country of Bahrain having issues with a revolt. What’s next UAE?

Bahrain is having issues with the revolt because it has a US backed monarchy that has kept all the nation's wealth for itself.

A

Anonymous

Rip:30 said:
Yeah, I'm sure Obama somehow instigated the revolt in Libya so oil prices would rise so people will drive and eat less. Probably also caused the crop losses, "bad weather", yeah right.

"Energy prices will necessarily have to increase......"

It's the effects of cap & trade without the hassle of getting the law passed. Pure brilliance.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:

Well well.. It doesn't look like the Obama administration is all lovey kissy with the wahabis like your alfalfanator bin laden family b-boy drunk W was..eh?
----------------------------------------------------

""Bahraini forces, backed by troops sent by neighbouring Saudi Arabia, drove protesters from the streets using tear gas, tanks and helicopters on Wednesday, prompting rare criticism from their U.S. allies.

Up to six people were killed in the violence which fuelled regional confrontation between Sunni Gulf Arab states and non-Arab Shi'ite Iran.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a television interview on Wednesday Bahrain and its allies who have sent troops to help it put down anti-government demonstrations are on the wrong track.

"We find what's happening in Bahrain alarming. We think that there is no security answer to the aspirations and demands of the demonstrators," Clinton told CBS in an interview, urging Bahrain to negotiate a political agreement with demonstrators. "We have also made that very clear to our Gulf partners who are part of the Gulf Cooperation Council, four of whose members have sent troops to support the Bahraini government. They are on the wrong track," Clinton added according to a U.S. pool reporter who attended the interview""

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
Bahrain is having issues with the revolt because it has a US backed monarchy that has kept all the nation's wealth for itself.

Broken record (scratch) broken record (scratch) broken record (srcatch) broken record (scratch) broken record (scratch)............

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:

Yeah I knew there was a way to blame the United States on this. Great.

"Chocolate candy! Uhhh, oatmeal cookies, oatmeal cookies! Soda pop! Orange soda pop! And we be eatin' like dogs, man. For a while, anyway." (talking about the wonders on board the Great Mothership)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
redtreviso said:
Well well.. It doesn't look like the Obama administration is all lovey kissy with the wahabis like your alfalfanator bin laden family b-boy drunk W was..eh?

""Bahraini forces, backed by troops sent by neighbouring Saudi Arabia, drove protesters from the streets using tear gas, tanks and helicopters on Wednesday, prompting rare criticism from their U.S. allies.

Up to six people were killed in the violence which fuelled regional confrontation between Sunni Gulf Arab states and non-Arab Shi'ite Iran.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a television interview on Wednesday Bahrain and its allies who have sent troops to help it put down anti-government demonstrations are on the wrong track.

"We find what's happening in Bahrain alarming. We think that there is no security answer to the aspirations and demands of the demonstrators," Clinton told CBS in an interview, urging Bahrain to negotiate a political agreement with demonstrators. "We have also made that very clear to our Gulf partners who are part of the Gulf Cooperation Council, four of whose members have sent troops to support the Bahraini government. They are on the wrong track," Clinton added according to a U.S. pool reporter who attended the interview""

"Fafa Fooey, that's Baba Booey."

I will only address this one time. You can not tag me with President Bush,,,because you have no idea what my political voting record looks like.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:

Golly, I'd be intimidated. That's some real verbal judo right there.

A

Anonymous

Glenn_Wilson said:
Well at the moment President Obama has only had 2 full years of service. You really can not compare totals unless President Obama gets a second term.

I guess somewhere on the interwebs there is a total comparison for both of them in their first 2 years in the office of President.

I will go look on the interwebs .....

Why not just look up "exaggeration" instead?

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:

And

Question: Other countries achieve superior results with public education and teachers paid from tax dollars. How is it that the government is the problem, and that privatizing will fix it?

Its funny, I heard this Libertarian douchebag on the radio today going on and on about how people in Japan are not looting, and how they do here, and how it is all tied to social programs that make people think they deserve assistance...only the fu*king idiot didn't bother to address the fact that Japan has Universal health care and has had social programs since the 1920's.

You create this boogie man "government entitlement programs" and blame everything on it. The only problem is that there are FAR MORE numerous examples of these systems working than there are systems that adopt the "government keeping out of markets" that work. In fact, there still isn't a major industrialized nation that has adopted the limited government idea espoused by people who didn't study late 19th and early 20th century history...

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Question: Other countries achieve superior results with public education and teachers paid from tax dollars. How is it that the government is the problem, and that privatizing will fix it?

Its funny, I heard this Libertarian douchebag on the radio today going on and on about how people in Japan are not looting, and how they do here, and how it is all tied to social programs that make people think they deserve assistance...only the fu*king idiot didn't bother to address the fact that Japan has Universal health care and has had social programs since the 1920's.

You create this boogie man "government entitlement programs" and blame everything on it. The only problem is that there are FAR MORE numerous examples of these systems working than there are systems that adopt the "government keeping out of markets" that work. In fact, there still isn't a major industrialized nation that has adopted the limited government idea espoused by people who didn't study late 19th and early 20th century history...

I don't know what their structure is. How much influence does the unions have, for example? Do they use their due to buy political favor? How heavy is their administrative overhead? How much per student are they spending and how much of that goes to the teacher?

Private markets (generally) are extremely good and efficient at providing incentive. Good and efficient. Notice I didn't say perfect. Our public school system is neither good or efficient.

There are ideas with evidence to support how public schools can be fixed. I'm wondering why there is so much opposition to these ideas... particularly from those that represent teachers?

Pay teachers more.... elevate their standing. Fine. It reminds my of the trailer to the documentary "Waiting for Superman." Our kids suck at math and science but feel better about themselves than all the other kids from competing nations. We can't fire crappy teachers but we can pay them all more thereby elevating their standing so they are proud and feel better about themselves.

For what it's worth, I think teachers shoud be paid more. I'm wondering why, at $24 - $25,000 per student, they aren't? Let's say the average class size for any particular school for any particular grade is 25 kids. That's about $625,000 per school year per class. Teacher makes $50,000 plus a $15,000 per year benefit package (pulling numbers out of the air here...).

So.... is it really a funding problem?

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I don't know what their structure is. How much influence does the unions have, for example? Do they use their due to buy political favor? How heavy is their administrative overhead? How much per student are they spending and how much of that goes to the teacher?

Private markets (generally) are extremely good and efficient at providing incentive. Good and efficient. Notice I didn't say perfect. Our public school system is neither good or efficient.

There are ideas with evidence to support how public schools can be fixed. I'm wondering why there is so much opposition to these ideas... particularly from those that represent teachers?

Pay teachers more.... elevate their standing. Fine. It reminds my of the trailer to the documentary "Waiting for Superman." Our kids suck at math and science but feel better about themselves than all the other kids from competing nations. We can't fire crappy teachers but we can pay them all more thereby elevating their standing so they are proud and feel better about themselves.

For what it's worth, I think teachers shoud be paid more. I'm wondering why, at $24 - $25,000 per student, they aren't? Let's say the average class size for any particular school for any particular grade is 25 kids. That's about $625,000 per school year per class. Teacher makes $50,000 plus a $15,000 per year benefit package (pulling numbers out of the air here...).

So.... is it really a funding problem?

Your kind has been trying everything to destroy public schools since 1964..Worried about union dues supporting political action? A corporation is certainly a collective that uses its resources for political ends..In fact what corporations and collectives that never are questioned by you do in our political system dwarf any union funded activity to the point where it is not even worth mentioning, much less sh- ting your pants like you do..Probably half of congress or more only concerns themselves with the business of Exxon and Lockheed..Most of the other half only the business of stock brokers(now called investment bankers)..But here you are whining about teachers (women mostly)....

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
"Fafa Fooey, that's Baba Booey."

I will only address this one time. You can not tag me with President Bush,,,because you have no idea what my political voting record looks like.

Yea right.."bush who?" "who me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS