• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Tour Wildcards 2023

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yeah, 3+4 wildcards for the momuments.

Usually it never feels like there's much competition. ASO seems to shuffle the teams around a bit for their races, and unless RCS wants to invite Novo Nordisk again, there should also be enough room for the teams interested in Sanremo. Maybe there'll be a bit of a "battle" between Corratec and HPH or so.

Milano - San Remo:

In 2022 there were 24 teams at start line. The following 6 Pro Teams were at start line: Arkea, Alpecin, Total, Eolo, Bardiani, Drone Hopper

For 2023, let's assume they will fill all 25 spots, meaning 7 wild cards
  1. Lotto - Automatic
  2. Total - Automatic
  3. Israel - Automatic
  4. Eolo - Italian, seems given.
  5. Bardiani - Italian, seems given.
Then it opens up a lot for the last spots.
Corratec - Italian team so highly likely to get invite.
Q36,5 - Kind of half-Italian, could be a good contender.
Uno-X - Former winner Kristoff, should offer an interesting team.
Tudor - Cancellara former winner, Kamp could be an interesting rider.

Black Spoke could've been interesting, but they are probably not even close to a Wild Card. Neither of the two Belgian teams looks to offer anything better than the teams I've already mentioned. The Spanish teams don't look good either. Human Power by Health also should fall way behind the teams mentioned above.

I think both Uno-X and Q36,5 should go ahead of Corratec, but Italian team so I think Corratec will be team number 6 and then the last spot is between Q36,5 and Uno-X.

Ronde van Vlaanderen:

In 2022 there were 25 teams at start line. The following 6 Pro Teams were at start line: Arkea, Alpecin, Total, Bingoal, Sport Vlaanderen, B&B and Uno-X

For 2023, let's assume they will fill all 25 spots again, meaning 7 wild cards.
  1. Lotto - Automatic
  2. Total - Automatic
  3. Israel - Automatic
  4. Bingoal - Belgian team, it's given.
  5. Flanders Baloise - Belgian team, it's given.
  6. Uno-X - Former winner Kristoff, had good cobble performances last two years. Has to be in.
Then the last spot is perhaps more open.
  • The Swiss teams looks pretty weak in the northern classics department. Q36,5 at least have a decent Belgian rider in Tom Devriendt that punched well above his weight class when he finished 4th in Roubaix last season + Jack Bauer that has a top 10 from E3.
  • The Italian teams are not that strong, neither Eolo, Bardiani or Corratec has a rider that gives me "he should race Flanders"-vibe.
  • The Spanish teams is not a great fit, they should not be relevant.
  • Human Powered Health has two belgian riders, basically the only reason to think they would be relevant.
  • Black Spoke is not ready yet I suppose.
  • Novo Nordisk would only get a sympathy WC in case all other candidates are useless.
I think Q36,5 will get the last spot here.

Paris-Roubaix:

In 2022 there were 25 teams at start line. The following 7 Pro Teams were at start line: Arkea, Alpecin, Total, Bingoal, Sport Vlaanderen, B&B and Uno-X

For 2023, let's assume they will fill all 25 spots again, meaning 7 wild cards. I think it's pretty obvious who will get them:
  1. Lotto - Automatic
  2. Total - Automatic
  3. Israel - Automatic
  4. Uno-X - Good cobble squad and seems to have a good relationship with ASO.
  5. Bingoal - A team more or less designated for flat classics, should be in.
  6. Flanders Baloise - A team more or less designated for flat classics, should be in.
  7. Q36,5 - Devriendt was 4th last year. In lack of other ProTeams with a solid cobble classics department, that should be enough.
I don't see any other ProTeam really challenge any of these 7.

Liege-Bastogne-Liege:

In 2022 there were 25 teams at start line. The following 7 Pro Teams were at start line: Arkea, Alpecin, Total Bingoal, Sport Vlaanderen, Uno-X and Kern Pharma

For 2023, let's assume they will fill all 25 spots again, meaning 7 wild cards. I think it's pretty obvious who will get them:
  1. Lotto - Automatic
  2. Total - Automatic
  3. Israel - Automatic
  4. Bingoal - Belgian team, therefore given.
  5. Flanders Baloise - Belgian team, therefore given.
The two Belgian teams did really bad in Liege this season, but I think they will get a new chance anyway. For the last 2 spots there are more good candidates than there is for Flanders or Roubaix.

Uno-X: Invited this year, but Greegard best in 28th place. Race was more or less ruined for Uno-X when Halland Johannesen crashed. THJ should be a potential top 10 rider.
Eolo-Kometa: Could have a very interesting team around Fortunato and Albanese, but they might be too focused on prepping for the Giro to go for this with their best team?
Tudor: Kamp could be a potential top 5 rider in this race.
Q36,5: Not a great team for the hilly classics, but obviously a candidate.
Kern Pharma: was invited this year, but best rider in 63rd spot. Roger Adria could be a potential top 10 rider.

The other Spanish and Italian teams could be candidates, but they don't have very attractive riders.

My guess is that Uno-X and either Tudor or Q36,5 will get the last two spots.

It's a nice job you're doing. I would like to point out that for wild-cards you always have to look at the big picture as well. Uno-X is heavily balanced towards ASO races, while Q36.5 should be balanced towards RCS races.

On top of that, it's not likely Q36.5 get invites for all those ASO races as a package. It is possible Q36.5 is the "5th best individual candidate" for Paris-Roubaix, LBL, Paris-Nice... but on aggregate it is virtually impossible they get on all of these races. If ASO selects Q36.5 on Roubaix, they will likely give Tudor an invite for LBL.

It's a nice job you're doing. I would like to point out that for wild-cards you always have to look at the big picture as well. Uno-X is heavily balanced towards ASO races, while Q36.5 should be balanced towards RCS races.

On top of that, it's not likely Q36.5 get invites for all those ASO races as a package. It is possible Q36.5 is the "5th best individual candidate" for Paris-Roubaix, LBL, Paris-Nice... but on aggregate it is virtually impossible they get on all of these races. If ASO selects Q36.5 on Roubaix, they will likely give Tudor an invite for LBL.
Good point, which is why I would guess Q36,5 will get San Remo and Roubaix, but miss out on L-B-L for Tudor or Kern Pharma.a
I think Uno-X, because the good relations to ASO and Flanders classics and Kristoff formerly winning San Remo, will get all 4 in the spring, but miss out on Lombardy in the autumn.

yeah, 3+4 wildcards for the momuments.

Usually it never feels like there's much competition. ASO seems to shuffle the teams around a bit for their races, and unless RCS wants to invite Novo Nordisk again, there should also be enough room for the teams interested in Sanremo. Maybe there'll be a bit of a "battle" between Corratec and HPH or so.
Is NN still sponsoring one of the RCS races? Because (besides the good PR) that's what usually got them the MSR wildcard...

Reactions: Sandisfan
RCS has announced its wildscards:

Giro d'Italia
  • EOLO-KOMETA CYCLING TEAM
  • GREEN PROJECT-BARDIANI CSF-FAIZANÉ
  • ISRAEL - PREMIER TECH
  • TEAM CORRATEC
Strade Bianche
  • ISRAEL - PREMIER TECH
  • LOTTO DSTNY
  • Q36.5 PRO CYCLING TEAM
  • TOTALENERGIES
  • TUDOR PRO CYCLING TEAM
Tirreno Adriatico
  • ISRAEL - PREMIER TECH
  • Q36.5 PRO CYCLING TEAM
  • TEAM CORRATEC
  • TOTALENERGIES
  • TUDOR PRO CYCLING TEAM
Milano Sanremo
  • ISRAEL - PREMIER TECH
  • LOTTO DSTNY
  • Q36.5 PRO CYCLING TEAM
  • TOTALENERGIES
  • TUDOR PRO CYCLING TEAM

Reactions: Sandisfan
I've tried to make a overview of wild cards for the most interesting races before the Tour. Only about half of them are official, the others I've just taken the teams PCS have been listing for the different races. I have no idea if they are just doing wild guesses or if they have some insight.

TeamUAEOmloopParis-NiceStradeTirrenoSan RemoCatalunyaE3G-WDwaarsRondeRoubaixItzuliaAmstelF-WLBLRomandieGiroDauphineSwissTour
LottoXXXX -XXXXXXXautXXXaut - autautX
Total -XXXXX -XXXXautaut -autautX
IsraelXXXXXXXXXXXXautXXXautXautautX
Uno-XXXXXXXXXXXX
EoloXXXXX
BardianiXXXX
CorratecXX
Q36,5XXX
TudorXXX
Kern PharmaXX
Caja RuralXX
BurgosXX
EuskaltelX
BingoalXXXXXXXX
BaloiseXXX
Human PHXX
SourcePCSPCSOfficialOfficialOfficialOfficialOfficialPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSPCSOfficialOfficial

Liege-Bastogne-Liege:

In 2022 there were 25 teams at start line. The following 7 Pro Teams were at start line: Arkea, Alpecin, Total Bingoal, Sport Vlaanderen, Uno-X and Kern Pharma

1. Lotto - Automatic
  2. Total - Automatic
  3. Israel - Automatic
  4. Bingoal - Belgian team, therefore given.
  5. Flanders Baloise - Belgian team, therefore given.
The two Belgian teams did really bad in Liege this season, but I think they will get a new chance anyway. For the last 2 spots there are more good candidates than there is for Flanders or Roubaix.

Uno-X: Invited this year, but Greegard best in 28th place. Race was more or less ruined for Uno-X when Halland Johannesen crashed. THJ should be a potential top 10 rider.
Eolo-Kometa: Could have a very interesting team around Fortunato and Albanese, but they might be too focused on prepping for the Giro to go for this with their best team?
Tudor: Kamp could be a potential top 5 rider in this race.
Q36,5: Not a great team for the hilly classics, but obviously a candidate.
Kern Pharma: was invited this year, but best rider in 63rd spot. Roger Adria could be a potential top 10 rider.

The other Spanish and Italian teams could be candidates, but they don't have very attractive riders.

My guess is that Uno-X and either Tudor or Q36,5 will get the last two spots.

in the end it went to Kern Pharma indeed, while Burgos got a surprise call for Fleche Wallonne

La Flèche Wallonne
  • Israel Premier Tech
  • Lotto Dstny
  • TotalEnrgies
  • Bingoal WB
  • Burgos - BH
  • Equipo Kern Pharma
  • Uno-X Pro Cycling Team

Liège Bastogne Liège
  • Israel Premier Tech
  • Lotto Dstny
  • TotalEnrgies