• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds ITT: the favorite?

WC ITT Favorite?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
So yeah who do you think will win the ITT?

It's a hilly TT of 45,7 km. Here's all the info: http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?sid=items_nl&items_vmd=svw&items_id=parcoursen

For some reason i've problems uploading the profile so if someone can do that? thanks :D

EDIT: i've put in a dutch and a belgian, i've learned from experience people like that lol

But seriously i only see 3 main contenders: Kessiakoff, Martin and Contador. On this kinda course I don't think that a guy like tuft for example can do anything. Maybe Froome if he can find his shape back but i highly doubt that.

De Gendt can podium it if he has a super day, you really never know with him.

Marting stays the favorite though if he's 100% of course otherwise...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome I don't think will contend, too tired. Kessiakoff I think has a good chance of winning it or at least getting on the podium. Contador I think could also win or podium. It'd be nice to see Martin get a podium after the awful season he has had. I'd also like to see Phinney or Van Garderen do well.

I think it will be between Contador and Kessiakoff for the win with Phinney or Martin contending for the 3rd podium spot.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Is it more hilly than the Grenoble tt he won twice? Martin on form can put 3 minutes into anyone her on 50k flat. Is there enough incline in here to offset that?

if the course this follow the AGR roads, then it should have constant up and down with tight roads and plenty of corners and road furniture.

since he has been on less then stellar form all season long i don't think he will win it. i am going with contador for this because those constants changes of pace will suit him much better then they will suit martin.

been digging up a bit more and the course does seem fairly technical with very little flat and straight roads.

elite_men_time_trial.jpg

they give details on 3 of the climbs although it seems like there are many others.
roughly 18k in we have 1k at 7.7% avg
40k in there is 800m at 5.4% avg
and then the cauberg which is 1.2k at 5.4% avg

You haven't mentioned either of the Aussie boys in transcripts. I don't think the team is named yet but I am thinking it is going to be Durbridge and Meyer for the ITT unless Rogers is racing it.

Orica are taking the TTT very seriously. leaving Tuft in training with the OGE team of 6, rather than going to his home races in Canada. That group of 6 includes Durbridge and Meyer who was withdrawn from the Vuelta to maximise his TTing in training with the group. That quality training for the TTT should hopefully shine through in the ITT. I don't know if the course is too hilly for the top 2 boys at OGE, Durbridge for Australia and Tuft for Canada but if it is, it may work in the favour of Meyer who was in great form at the Vuelta.

Going to keep a keen eye on Sam Bewley for N.Z, hearing very good things about him. Maybe a top 20, even top 10 finish

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Martin gets my vote. His ITT in the Olympics was really good, the Vuelta ITT was a bit of a disappointment, but I'm certain Martin has his sight on the Worlds and that he knows exactly what he is doing to be in top shape for wednesday.

Even if Martin gets my vote, I'm hoping for Kessiakoff to deliver big. But maybe we should be a bit cautious about his chances. During the Bola del Mundo stage, where he finished 4th, he developed pain in one of his knees because he had to alter his position due to saddle sore. The knee pain has hampered his preperations for the worlds a bit. Kessiakoff is also a bit uncertain if the course is tough enough, it doesn't have any longer climbs. (Both his ITT wins this year have been on courses that had a longer climb in it.). One should also remember that Kessiakoff's wins came in stage races, and quiet a bit into them. It is another thing to performe in a ITT in the Worlds or the Olympics. Still, I hope he can do well.:)

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
alberto

but i'd like kessiakoff too

Alberto for me as well. Although I would really like the German to get the Jersey again...
Can I be thick and ask why Wiggins isn't down for ITT because surely he would be favourite.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Bexon30 said:
Alberto for me as well. Although I would really like the German to get the Jersey again...
Can I be thick and ask why Wiggins isn't down for ITT because surely he would be favourite.

He. Can't be bothered.