• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds ITT - Who will win it?

Who will win?

• Someone else...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Getting mixed messages about how hard it will be.
al_crono_uomini.jpg

Looks like up and down all the time, but how hard are the climbs?

There seems to be just one favorite and the rest are believed to ride for second place.
Your thoughts?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I think Canc would have to have a really bad day to lose it. He has proven he can win on hilly courses (Monoco ITT and TdSuisse ITT this year) and flat courses.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There seems to be only one 'real climb', and from the image you posted, it appears to be 500/750/1000m long rising from 300m-360m.

That entails a gradient of 12%, 8%, 6%.

If it's the first (12%), I doubt Cancelara will lose too much time he can't make up for (since it's only 500m). If it's 8% or 6%, he can certainly deal with that, as cobber said, he showed that in TdS etc.

Which other rivals are a great deal better on a hilly ITT parcours anyway?

Don't forget the Beijing TT last year,that was a hilly one.;)
Anyway,as said before,we should discuss here who's going to take silver and bronze,because FC is able to win it even if he's not in top form.
I'm guessing Gustav Larsson and David Millar should be good picks.
Looking forward to see how Tom Zirbel will perform.

I think most can agree that Cancellara will win so the question then becomes, what riders will take the other medals?

haven't seen a complete list of what riders will riding the TT so does anyone know who the main medal candidates are?

I know that Gustav Larsson is focusing on the race and is hoping to repeat his medal from last years olympics. Also I know the norwegians are hoping that EBH will do a good race in the TT.

Who else will be there? Millar? Zabriskie?

Edit: Beaten to the question by 2 minutes

The Americans are coming with Tommy D and Tommy Z for the TT.:D
Maybe Tony Martin could clock a good time.
I see the Kazakhs are betting on Vino and Kash,but i only see AV doing a decent ride.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Kind of strange that nobody mentions the reigning champ, Bert Grabsch, isn't it? I mean, not for the top spot, but among top three? I believe he'll beat Zabriskie.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I can't really see anyone other than Sparticus winning, unless he is ill, crashes in training or has similar bad luck but I'll be over the moon if Millar and/or Wiggo can get on the podium. A top ten for both is certainly believable.

Team GB's best hope for medals comes from the women though, in both the TT (Pooley) and Road Race (Cooke, Pooley, Armitstead). There could well be two rainbow jerseys on British shoulders next year, but they won't be male shoulders.

I thought I read a few days ago that Dave Z hadn't been included in the US team?

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
I thought I read a few days ago that Dave Z hadn't been included in the US team?

Unfortunately, you are correct. DZ withdrew from the team:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/danielson-leads-confirmed-us-worlds-squad

It seems to me that this is Spartacus' race to lose... not only is he (arguably?) the best individual time trialer of recent years, but he has home field advantage. I think a more interesting question than whether or not he's going to win the ITT is whether or not he can also win the road race (wouldn't that be something?!?). Then again, considering the road course, and Fabu's climbing ability, I think that prospect is probably out the door...

Of course, the other favorites have already been mentioned: Larsson, Millar, Wiggins, Grabsch.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Svein Tuft of Canada. He's a relatively strong time trialer, and did he not come in second last year?

British hopes are all with Wiggo aren't they? I'm pretty sure Millar is only riding the road race as he doesn't think there's enough time between the end of the Vuelta and the World TT.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
ruswilks said:
British hopes are all with Wiggo aren't they? I'm pretty sure Millar is only riding the road race as he doesn't think there's enough time between the end of the Vuelta and the World TT.

I'd initially thought this but the most recent article I've seen regarding the GB selection has him riding it.

I assume there will be a formal announcement of the final team in the next 48 hours, unless I've already missed it...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
I'd initially thought this but the most recent article I've seen regarding the GB selection has him riding it.

I assume there will be a formal announcement of the final team in the next 48 hours, unless I've already missed it...

Millar will not ride the World's ITT. This quote is from Velonews:

Despite his track record against the clock, Millar surprisingly said he will not challenge for the world title in the time trial next week in Mendrisio, instead focusing entirely on the road race.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Millar will not ride the World's ITT. This quote is from Velonews:

Despite his track record against the clock, Millar surprisingly said he will not challenge for the world title in the time trial next week in Mendrisio, instead focusing entirely on the road race.

Yes, I'd just come back to edit my last post with this more recent (as in a bout a hour ago) article from CN but you'd beaten me to it ;)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Martin will be a good outsider. He's a huge chance on this course.

Cancellara should win.

I think you boys are missing an in-form man at the moment. Boassen-Hagen. He should figure in the top 10, possibly feature top 5.

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how Wiggo does against EBH, seeing as Wiggo quit the ToB after 4 stages to concentrate on his training for the TT whereas EBH continued and went on to win the ToB.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This does seem like it might be better titled "Who will be runner up to Cancellara?"

Seeing as it is on home turf, and he missed last year's Championship, I would be amazed by another winner. To be quite honest, I would not be shocked if he did particularly well in the road race too.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara wil win it, I can't see it any other way. The fight for silver and bronze is open though, but I think Wiggins will take one of them.