• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds USA

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
knewcleardaze said:
I didn't view this as a lame attempt. I think it's quite accurate. In America, they like to call it The World Series, yet it only involves teams from Major League Baseball. I don't believe any teams from other baseball playing nations qualify.

Same goes for the NBA World Championship. No teams from other basketball playing nations are eligible.

As to the Super Bowl,the winning team like to refer to themselves as World Champion Super Bowl winners. Though only teams from the NFL may compete for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

I think it's just a case of semantics. With a touch of arrogance, as is widely perceived by other nations.

Well the NBA Championships has never been referred to as the "NBA World Championships". Actually its simply referred to as the "NBA Finals". No "World" designation is included.

A

Anonymous

Angliru said:
Well the NBA Championships has never been referred to as the "NBA World Championships". Actually its simply referred to as the "NBA Finals". No "World" designation is included.

actually you are incorrect...

The finals where referred to as "The NBA World Championship Series" until 1986, when they became known as the NBA Finals...

You will also find countless references to the "2009 Lakers - World Champions" including on the lakers own site itself..

I do hope your not american, because if so youve just been burnt by a mere brit.. ;)

dimspace said:
actually you are incorrect...

The finals where referred to as "The NBA World Championship Series" until 1986, when they became known as the NBA Finals...

You will also find countless references to the "2009 Lakers - World Champions" including on the lakers own site itself..

I do hope your not american, because if so youve just been burnt by a mere brit.. ;)

Consider this American burnt!:eek: I rest comfortably though that the most famous (or infamous) British moment in international basketball history is Vince Carter jumping over Frederick Weiss (6-11 or 7-0) and dunking on him.

Still though I believe as someone has posted previously, the NBA Finals champion has the right to take that title. The best in the world aspire to play in the NBA. Just like the best cyclists in the world know that if you really want to see where you are as a cyclist (professional road) you have to go to Europe and compete against the best.

Yeah that "never" really got me in bit of trouble didn't it?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Lack of padding

karlboss said:

Off topic, but the lack of padding and the need to gain/maintain posession of the ball in Rugby leads to less of this:
dementia

Those helmets are used more as weapons than protection. I prefer Rugby BTW, played both, more Rugby than Gridiron. Rugby requires (aerobic) fitness, as play is continuous rather than 5-10 seconds at a time.

A

Anonymous

Angliru said:
Yeah that "never" really got me in bit of trouble didn't it?

nah.. its all forgotten.. im a brit..

now if i was an aussie i would have changed my avatar and my signature, started a thread, and still be going on about it FOUR DAYS LATER.. :D

A

Anonymous

Rupert said:
Off topic, but the lack of padding and the need to gain/maintain posession of the ball in Rugby leads to less of this:
dementia

Those helmets are used more as weapons than protection. I prefer Rugby BTW, played both, more Rugby than Gridiron. Rugby requires (aerobic) fitness, as play is continuous rather than 5-10 seconds at a time.

Yea, the reality is that without the pads and helmets, American Football would be played less viciously. Still, when the game started, deaths were a regular occurrence. I also feel sorry for NFL players as they get older as the health problems they pick up from their previous profession are sometimes pretty devastating.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
The dementia thing that they are just starting to deal with now will most likely have far reaching consequences in the sport. The rules may have to change and the helmets will change as well.

When tackling leading with the head is called "spearing" and it is most definitely illegal. I think spearing can result in a suspension. It would be like getting three or four red cards at once in soccer/futbol.

Football isn't the only sport that is facing head injury issues in soccer there have been studies that have shown that the cumulative effect of a career of heading the ball definitely can result in long term brain damage.

I have loads of respect for Rugby/Aussie Rules Football and soccer. Soccer is easily my second favorite sport amongst the stick and ball sports. I played more soccer than I ever did football. But the comment that football is wimpy because of the padding is an uninformed one.

I can't stand baseball. Too boring and it's based on a British schoolgirls game called Rounders. My English fiance constantly reminds me of that fact whenever someone mentions baseball as America's "pasttime".

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Astana1 said:
The dementia thing that they are just starting to deal with now will most likely have far reaching consequences in the sport. The rules may have to change and the helmets will change as well.

When tackling leading with the head is called "spearing" and it is most definitely illegal. I think spearing can result in a suspension. It would be like getting three or four red cards at once in soccer/futbol.

Football isn't the only sport that is facing head injury issues in soccer there have been studies that have shown that the cumulative effect of a career of heading the ball definitely can result in long term brain damage.

I have loads of respect for Rugby/Aussie Rules Football and soccer. Soccer is easily my second favorite sport amongst the stick and ball sports. I played more soccer than I ever did football. But the comment that football is wimpy because of the padding is an uninformed one.

I can't stand baseball. Too boring and it's based on a British schoolgirls game called Rounders. My English fiance constantly reminds me of that fact whenever someone mentions baseball as America's "pasttime".
Hey schoolboys play rounders as well you know! I was quite a shot back in my day lol

helmets are not allowed to be used as a weapon. they crack down hard on
dirty play. it is a very violent game for sure. i played it as a kid. i found out
bike racing and running were more my speed. funny thing is, i never broke any bones until i took up bike racing. did that stop me, no.