Worlds: your favourite.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

WORLDS: YOUR FAVOURITE?

  • KAZAJSTAN/OTHER

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Nov 16, 2011
426
0
0
Going with Valverde on this one - he has the required punch needed for the group that will make it up the climb. Contador's legs are too slow. Too steep for Freire. Purito - possibly, but he's tired.
 
I see this as a Spain/Belgium showdown but there are quite a few riders capable of crashing the party. Nibali/Visconti, Gerrans/Clarke, Voeckler, Kolobnev, Albasini and possibly Sagan (if it isn't too agressive early on) Henao and Hordhaug will be looking to mix it up, they are all capable of winning on a course like this.

This should be a good open race!
 
Spain is a powerhouse but are have to many chiefs; Purito and Valverde already saying they want the win.

Gilbert finally found his form...should be his day.

I will be rooting for my 2nd favorite rider Vincenzo The Shark Nibali. Not the most likely winner but he'll give it a shot I have no doubt!!!
 
Carols said:
Spain is a powerhouse but are have to many chiefs; Purito and Valverde already saying they want the win.

Gilbert finally found his form...should be his day.

I will be rooting for my 2nd favorite rider Vincenzo The Shark Nibali. Not the most likely winner but he'll give it a shot I have no doubt!!!
I like your choices!
Phil!! Nibs!

Well, I like the line up for Spain...I wish Friere would do something special though...great to see. :)
 
Jun 11, 2011
473
0
0
this parcourse is nothing like last years, a big team is kinda useless here, not much chance for echelons either in that part of NL.
equal footing for Sagan vs Gilbert vs Valverde.
Sagan will go too early, Gilbert will pull Valverde up to him, then Allesandro will jump both of them for the win (although I would love to see Sagan take it)
 
42x16ss said:
I see this as a Spain/Belgium showdown but there are quite a few riders capable of crashing the party. Nibali/Visconti, Gerrans/Clarke, Voeckler, Kolobnev, Albasini and possibly Sagan (if it isn't too agressive early on) Henao and Hordhaug will be looking to mix it up, they are all capable of winning on a course like this.

This should be a good open race!
Visconti is not gonna be there.
 
Netserk said:
I fear Boonen will make the same mistake he did at the Olympics, and wait for a sprint instead of attacking in the second last lap :(
Wasting Boonen early would put a lot more pressure on Gilbert. If Phil was caught with 800m to go, and Boonen wasn't closing in, he would have to keep going or end up trying to outsprint Freire/Sagan.

Better having Boonen coming up behind, ready to win if Phil is caught.

Leave the suicidal solos for guys like Leukemans.
 
Ferminal said:
Wasting Boonen early would put a lot more pressure on Gilbert. If Phil was caught with 800m to go, and Boonen wasn't closing in, he would have to keep going or end up trying to outsprint Freire/Sagan.

Better having Boonen coming up behind, ready to win if Phil is caught.

Leave the suicidal solos for guys like Leukemans.
He doesn't have to solo. Just attack before the sprint, as he would have no chance of beating Sagan and Piti on Cauberg. IMO
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Gilbert shouldn't try and go solo untill the last time on the cauberg.

He always fails when he goes solo
 
May 9, 2012
750
0
0
Will be interesting to see in what way Spain will screw things up this year. Relying on Contador's sprint? Purito being used as a helper? Nah...
Also, Valverde and Breschel to take care of silver and bronze, as they do best!
 
CobbleStoner said:
this parcourse is nothing like last years, a big team is kinda useless here, not much chance for echelons either in that part of NL.
equal footing for Sagan vs Gilbert vs Valverde.
Sagan will go too early, Gilbert will pull Valverde up to him, then Allesandro will jump both of them for the win (although I would love to see Sagan take it)
Valverde is afraid of Phil.
 
I voted for Belgium. They have 2 riders who have been dominating the classics for the last 2 years. I would also back Gilbert in a sprint nowadays against Valverde. He fwas able to follow JROD is Barcelona and beat Valverde on La Lastrilla. Boonen is also a great card for them in the sprint ( he has beat Friere basically every time this year ) and he can handle tough terrain ( even though this is hilly ).

Belgium in my view has the most likely chance of winning then Spain with their massive amount of riders, then Australia, Italy and France are equal. Sagan and EBH shall also have a say.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
I voted for Australia, it is Simon Gerrans' year. He has good form and on this course, he will be tough to beat.
 
May 9, 2012
750
0
0
cineteq said:
Really? :confused: Contador is there to help, either Rodriguez or Valverde. Contador's big goal in the WC is the ITT.
Yes, I would have thought so too, but according to Velonews, Bertie and Oscar will be leaders. Of course if they have any sense, that won't be the case.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
I voted for Australia, it is Simon Gerrans' year. He has good form and on this course, he will be tough to beat.
I agree that he will be hard to beat. Gilbert and Rodriguez are obvious picks as well. Probably Valverde but Spain may have a problem getting full commitment to one rider if egos and friendships start to play a part. Aussies and Belgium won't have as many problems in that area as they don't have as many possible winners in their teams.
 
brilleaben said:
Yes, I would have thought so too, but according to Velonews, Bertie and Oscar will be leaders. Of course if they have any sense, that won't be the case.
That can't possibly be right. :confused: Anyway I think they should put 1 or 2 (or maybe even 3) guys in the break and have Purito and Valverde in case it comes back together.

By the way in a sprint who is faster, Valverde or Gilbert?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY