Worst crash ever

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
Why no video?

Any ideas why there is no video? I mean, this was the main peloton. You would think whoever is in charge of video would make sure they always have at least a helicopter OR a motorbike from the front looking back filming the main group. Apparently not. Fail.
 
Jan 14, 2011
504
0
0
Radios don't cause crashes. Moronic directors screaming into them cause crashes. Allow the radios, muzzle morons.
 
Jun 12, 2012
87
0
0
rickshaw said:
Radios don't cause crashes. Moronic directors screaming into them cause crashes. Allow the radios, muzzle morons.
Absolutely. When 10 DS' start telling their teams to move up chances are they are going to run out of room. Allow the radios, but not team radios. Just safety broadcasts.

I feel really gutted to the numerous riders that have abandoned. In particular for Garmin and Movistar as they are down by a few. It shouldn't be like this starting week 2.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,921
0
0
ulrikmm said:
EDIT: Please note: the purpose of this thread is to discuss the massive high speed pile up in stage 6 in the 2012 TdF. This purpose is not to discuss which horribe accident was the worst. Maybe the editors could change the title to 2012 Tour de France stage 6 crash.EDIT finish


The Tour de France stage 6 crash (middle of the peloton, tailwind, downhill, 80 kmph) is probably the worst ever :(

Below from http://www.ekstrabladet.dk a list of the damages of the riders that were forced to leave the race. Some of the most hurt riders are said to have made it to the finish line before leaving the race.

Maarten Wynants, Rabobank: Punctured lung and two broken ribs

Wout Poels, Vacansoleil-DCM: Ruptured spleen and kidney, three broken ribs

Thomas Danielson, Garmin-Sharp: Dislocated shoulder (twice in two consecutive stages)

Astarloza, Euskaltel - Euskadi: right elbow dislocated

Amets Txurruka, Euskaltel - Euskadi: Broken collarbone

Oscar Freire, Katusha: Broken rib, punctured lung

Davide Viganò, Lampre-ISD: Broken shoulder

Hubert Dupont, AG2R-La Mondiale: Broken wrist, broken vertebra, strained ankle

Imanol Erviti, Movistar: Deep wound in right leg (muscle damage, needs surgery)

Jose Ivan Gutierrez, Movistar: Damaged knee

Theese are truly high velocity damages that without urgent diagnosis and care could have cost lives.

On the positive side: ****Helmets work!!!**** No brain injuries in this crash.
The DNFs from the day of the crash and the DNSs from the next day:
DNF Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
DNF Davide Vigano (Ita) Lampre - ISD
DNF Thomas Danielson (USA) Garmin - Sharp
DNF Wout Poels (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
DNS José Ivan Gutierrez Palacios (Spa) Movistar Team
DNS Imanol Erviti Ollo (Spa) Movistar Team
DNS Maarten Wynants (Bel) Rabobank Cycling Team
DNS Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Katusha Team
DNS Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
DNS Robert Hunter (RSA) Garmin - Sharp
DNS Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Sharp
DNS Amets Txurruka (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
Crazy.
 
Feb 5, 2012
424
0
0
I don't if this has been said anywhere yet but Jens Voigt said rumor is in the peleton the crash happened because a Lampre guy was taking his shoe covers off and giving them to a teammate. What a stupid way to end 10 guys TDF's, plus cause half the GC guys to lose 2 minutes, you don't do that in the middle of the peleton.
 
Jun 18, 2012
181
0
0
The last couple of years have "featured" prolific crashes like this. In those cases the peloton has slowed down, allowing the GC contenders to rejoin. Last year, in particular, it had a big effect on the overall race. The big crash, for which the peloton slowed, allowed Tommy Voeckler to take yellow. This time 'round, Hesjedal, Valverde, Gesink, Schleck, and I dunno who else got caught up in the pileup.

Seriously, without the peloton slowing, there's no way Voeckler takes yellow or even sniffs the podium for 2011. I just think it's interesting that there was not even a hint of hesitation this year. Nor was there any commentary (that I'm aware of) that hinted the peleton should slow.

To be honest, I like it. Crashes and mechanical ****ups are all a part of racing, I think, so I'm glad that the peloton raced on. I am intrigued that no one has even hinted that about the peloton waiting in this instance.
 
petacchi's booties

Unkown said:
...you don't do that in the middle of the peleton.
yes, you do - and 10x worse - if you're a euro-pro. scary stuff. putting petacchi's booties into your jersey pocket is hardly much more complex that fishing out a packet of gel, opening it and sucking it down. and you don't expect riders to circulate to the back of the bunch to do that now.

agreed, that the notion of such an apocalyptic crash occurring as the result of something as mundane as booties is annoying, but it's often the every-day stuff, when riders are lulled into false sense of security, that can be deadly if the brain switches off just for a sec.
 
Feb 5, 2012
424
0
0
joe_papp said:
yes, you do - and 10x worse - if you're a euro-pro. scary stuff. putting petacchi's booties into your jersey pocket is hardly much more complex that fishing out a packet of gel, opening it and sucking it down. and you don't expect riders to circulate to the back of the bunch to do that now.

agreed, that the notion of such an apocalyptic crash occurring as the result of something as mundane as booties is annoying, but it's often the every-day stuff, when riders are lulled into false sense of security, that can be deadly if the brain switches off just for a sec.
Sure maybe if the bunch was going 40-50kmph but they were hitting speeds of 80 when it happened. Surely whoever it was could have found a better time to remove his damn booties instead of taking 2/3 of the field down with him. You look down at your feet for 1 second and it could all be over for a lot of other guys behind you at those speeds.
 
Aug 16, 2011
163
0
0
Unkown said:
Sure maybe if the bunch was going 40-50kmph but they were hitting speeds of 80 when it happened. Surely whoever it was could have found a better time to remove his damn booties instead of taking 2/3 of the field down with him. You look down at your feet for 1 second and it could all be over for a lot of other guys behind you at those speeds.
If you read what happened, the peleton had slowed when the rider did this, but then it slowed down more when he was doing it and couldnot break and fell into a ditch.

The bit i do not understand is, as he fell into the ditch at the side, how did that cause so much damage accross the whole rode. It should only have affected one or two riders near him. Other riders riding too close, too fast, too close together?

If you read what many riders say, like Valverde it was a case of too many riders all trying to ride at the front and being told to by their DS. Until teams like BMC and Sky leave stop filling the front of the peleton at the end of races with their domestics this is going to carry on happening.
 
Aug 20, 2009
76
0
0
Normandy said:
Until teams like BMC and Sky leave stop filling the front of the peleton at the end of races with their domestics this is going to carry on happening.
BMC and sky are among the few teams that should be in front. The front of the peleton should be reserved for genuine GC challengers (at the moment Nibbles, Evans and Wiggins). At the end of the stage, teams with potential stage winners move up in front (Typical sprint trains etc.). Thats how it used to be ,at least to a higher degree. Now every single muppet in the peleton thinks he should be in the front for some reason or the other.
One of the reasons could be that the top 10 is more open than previous years?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY