• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Worst Giro d'Italia edition in the 21st century?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Worst Giro d'Italia edition in the 21st century?

• Total voters
No. And last year is still fresh, so it's easy to compare the two.
To some extent yes.

I started watching the race from 07, but not until 11 I followed the race more intensely. Could some of those editions beforehand have escaped me (and many other I assume)..? Yes, maybe, but out of all those races I have watched, this is the worst - slightly worse than 2022, and again slightly worse than 2012. But I do think that recency bias is definitely a thing in these polls, but in this instance, I don't think it matters that much since the race was so bad. Had the years been reversed, I suspect a greater number of people actually voting last years the worst though. But thats only speculation!

Reactions: Cookster15
To some extent yes.

I started watching the race from 07, but not until 11 I followed the race more intensely. Could some of those editions beforehand have escaped me (and many other I assume)..? Yes, maybe, but out of all those races I have watched, this is the worst - slightly worse than 2022, and again slightly worse than 2012. But I do think that recency bias is definitely a thing in these polls, but in this instance, I don't think it matters that much since the race was so bad. Had the years been reversed, I suspect a greater number of people actually voting last years the worst though. But thats only speculation!
Both you and I only really missed 2002, but from what can be read up on how the race unfolded, it's just not the same non-event for the GC.

Both you and I only really missed 2002, but from what can be read up on how the race unfolded, it's just not the same non-event for the GC.
When a racehas 11 pure sprint stages, it kinda has to be up there as well (2004). But at the end of the day, people watch GTs for action between the best riders in the peloton, and as far as I can tell, it somewhat delivered on the important stages. At least compared to what the riders were offered which was slim to absolutely nothing which is much different than this year's route which looked like a mediocre/slightly mediocre route.

I'm waiting for the "rate the Giro 2023" thread so I can give it a 10/10.

I feel it's like a controversial arthouse movie masterpiece which might not have a broadly satisfied audience even though I got everything I personally wanted out of it & more.

Best drama & best thriller of the year (that ITT...).
In hindsight and if you are a Roglic fan yes absolutely I can understand this. Objectively, no it was a terrible edition.

We waited three weeks for GC action which never materialised. But this is grand tour racing and we should expect this. But for a point of reference at least test match cricket which might end in a draw is only 5 days of pointless torture for fans🙂

In hindsight and if you are a Roglic fan yes absolutely I can understand this. Objectively, no it was a terrible edition.

We waited three weeks for GC action which never materialised. But this is grand tour racing and we should expect this. But for a point of reference at least test match cricket which might end in a draw is only 5 days of pointless torture for fans🙂

In all fairness I think a lot of GT's sort of blend into each other in terms of a collective "meh" vis-à-vis its entertainment quality. The Giro 2022 was absolutely dissed on for example. People hated the 2020 TdF as well until its dramatic dénouement (I personally hated that of course but it's no secret I'm absolutely biased).

I'd like to compare it to a football World Cup with lots of 0-0 results & cagey games. But the final has a wild dramatic twist which makes it memorable whilst fans of the winning team absolutely love it.

If Rog was French for example (aka a massive cycling powerhouse starved of GT winners for so long), the country would be going crazy right now & "entertainment factor" would be the least of their concerns.

Well this thread aged well. If i remember correctly it was opened on the eve of stage 20. Likely a whole lot of people came here to express their opinion on just how horrible Giro 2023 was. And then the party got canceled the very next day.

All in all this Giro edition turned out to be one for the ages.
Because of one stage? I think it's only one for the ages for the people that wanted Roglic to win, for everyone else the Giro wasn't really that interesting.

Reactions: gunara
Well this thread aged well. If i remember correctly it was opened on the eve of stage 20. Likely a whole lot of people came here to express their opinion on just how horrible Giro 2023 was. And then the party got canceled the very next day.

But some people crashed! Are you celebrating crashes now? Oh my god :mad:

Reactions: QueenStagiaire

You are right. Worst Giro in modern times. Certainly historically bad and therefore one for the ages.

Reactions: gunara

TRENDING THREADS