• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Would you go on a training ride with Lance A. ?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
CatsNK said:
I'm with autobus - the answer to the original question is no, and not because of doping allegations, but because, IMO, LA is not a person I want to spend time with. I find the way he treats people offensive.

Even in his own words - his very own book - he comes off as an arrogant jerk. I have enough people like that I have to deal with at the office. None in my free time, thanks.

It was that book that first put me off him. Until I read it I bought into all of the mythology.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
Ive been out training with Lance. He is a very approachable guy thesedays.

Went out today with Allesandro Ballan. Did 3hrs in the hills. Was gonna go out with Cavendish but they stayed on the flats. Hooking up with Greipel and the Lotto henchmen tommorrow for 5 hours in the hills.

Now wonder they call it Radelaide.

Here is a vid of my bamboo bike and Lance and co.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnx9mNpJllg

Here is me out with Oscar P and co.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HjL7yMc_U

Dude, thanks for the vegan video. How does the Calfee Bamboo ride, I saw some of those at his shop. If I go vegan do I have to not drink alcohol?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Only if it was a ride to the nearest bar. ;)

Don't think I've heard this story, what was it? Or was it about him leaving, around the time of the blood bag incident?
It was when Floyd was riding for Phonak. Lance had been giving him the silent treatment but it all came to a head in the middle of one of the stages (it's in Floyd's book). At one point Floyd just told him to F-himself. Wide-eyed with outrage, Lance then unleashed a tirade on him about all he had done for him, etc. According to Floyd (the most trusted name in cycling ;) ) he just stared at Lance the whole time. When the verbal assault came to an end, his response was, "But I don't care what you think." According to both them, it blew over in the end and they chalked it up to their competitive nature. Lance even alluded to it when he was on Larry King defending Floyd when the positive test first broke. Ah, the good ol' days. :D

I think my favorite part of the story is how when things erupted between them, George just slipped back into the pack, not wanting any part of it. :)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Memory

jaylew said:
Not a fan but I'd ride with him or any other pro just to observe. I'd also ask him if he remembered me.

Hey jay, an interesting concept , the memory . It is funny you should talk about if he remembered you . I think it is a huge human component of person that sometimes rekindles visions of long ago , of better times and circumstances , and actually change a persons path . All that by just remembering the meeting of someone , or a past ride with someone , team , club etc . I guess the interesting thing would be if he remembers and how he responds ,,,, shows much about character . :cool:

The Hitch said:
Are you the guy whose bag his handlebars clipped when Ullrich waited:p
I only wish I could be that close to the riders in a key stage of the Tour like that.:p
stainlessguy1 said:
Hey jay, an interesting concept , the memory . It is funny you should talk about if he remembered you . I think it is a huge human component of person that sometimes rekindles visions of long ago , of better times and circumstances , and actually change a persons path . All that by just remembering the meeting of someone , or a past ride with someone , team , club etc . I guess the interesting thing would be if he remembers and how he responds ,,,, shows much about character . :cool:

We were never close - he wasn't the warmest guy, (at least to me anyway) but we did go to school together and were teammates on the track team (running, not cycling) He and I were 2 of the 3 guys who would actually score points at our meets. Ironically, the other guy became a cyclist as well - former US pro champ Chann McRae.

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Would I ride with LA? No.

In the massively improbable event that it were to be just me and him then I'd feel WAY too uncomfortable. And I'd not do a 'tweet' ride because I do not like riding with scores of others. 5 or 6 tops for me but I actually prefer to ride alone.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
CatsNK said:
I'm with autobus - the answer to the original question is no, and not because of doping allegations, but because, IMO, LA is not a person I want to spend time with. I find the way he treats people offensive.

Even in his own words - his very own book - he comes off as an arrogant jerk. I have enough people like that I have to deal with at the office. None in my free time, thanks.

+1 My sentiments exactly. I have enough of those type of folks in my own club and certainly I'm not going to go out of my way to do one of LA's twitter rides. If he were to show up for one of our club rides or a ride that I normally do, he's welcome to join because we don't turn away anyone unless they're not wearing a helmet. Follow the rules of the ride and everything is fine.

TRENDING THREADS