• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wout van Aert

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2022
Visit site
Off he goes again. Even if he doesn't stay away today, he's riding this race like its a one week stage race - he's supposed to be supporting his GC guys in the mountains for the next two weeks! Surely he should be burnt out after this?

Given the amount of energy this guy has expended in this race thus far, it's ''unbelievable.'' A day in the gutter is foreign to him, with an engine like a Ferrari and the recovery powers of a comic book hero.

this is beyond ridiculous
Lol Almost every Tour de France is beyond ridiculous. Pog's performances have been even more beyond the pale. And before him there were others.

It will be interesting to see if Wout can keep this up. If he's super hot through the first world in the week, then starts to be completely useless for his team, that would actually not be too terribly surprising. Fascinating silliness to observe.

Reactions: red_flanders
Off he goes again. Even if he doesn't stay away today, he's riding this race like its a one week stage race - he's supposed to be supporting his GC guys in the mountains for the next two weeks! Surely he should be burnt out after this?
wanna bet hes gonna be one of the top mountain domestiques? :D

last 10 guys on MTF - pog,roglic,vingegaard,oconnor,thomas whoever am i forgetting doesnt matter ...and van aert

or is the tactic going for green exclusively?

He reminds me of what Andy Hampsten said about riders doping in the 80s with amphetamines. Insane power but prone to absolute braindead moves. He really is like a horse/donkey that can't contain its excitement and energy.

Supercharged performance. Man, that whole Jumbo team, with Laporte, Vingegaard... But okay, they are going against the supercharged Pogacar... I don't care who wins that arms' race.
Anyway, I think the "braindead" moves and behaviour from van Aert simply come from a) his cross, not so much road background, and b) the weird situation in the team and a, hm, special way of tactics in the team.

Reactions: noob
wanna bet hes gonna be one of the top mountain domestiques? :D

last 10 guys on MTF - pog,roglic,vingegaard,oconnor,thomas whoever am i forgetting doesnt matter ...and van aert

or is the tactic going for green exclusively?
You left out the current World Cyclocross champion and current Olympic MTB champion and currently 10th place GC little Tommy Pidcock, he'll be up there too. Probably not O'Connor though.

TRENDING THREADS