• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

You are clean. What SHOULD you say in interviews?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
BradCantona said:
That's precisely what I'd want them to say personally. Head above the parapet, no excuses made, calling out the dopers and pushing to put an end to this once and for all. The reputation of clean riders is besmirched, and they're being robbed of what potentially is rightfully there's. The deafening silence of so many is soul destroying

Riders who were only "trained" by Ferrari I mean come are you really that stupid ? And do you think everyone else is to?

Rogers: It was a mistake to work with Ferrari

But he wasn't doping.

So how come Kennaugh calls people out now, but not when Rogers confessed to "only being trained by Ferrari"?

The fact that CN so blithely publishes Kennaugh's outrage without a single shred of research into their own, very recently published story of Rogers, on Team Sky, being outed as a Ferrari client making a complete hypocrite out of Kennaugh is p1ss poor journalism.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
So in other words if you don't call out every single person then just STFU. Got it.

No it merely is if you open your mouth in cycling be prepared that if you are not consistent you will be called on it!

You happy that a guy can slam some riders but not others?

Why callout some guys who claim it was 'training only' and then ignore guys like Rogers and Evans who made the same ridiculous claims?

Why does Kennaugh ignore Knaven's time on Domo Farm Frittes?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
So who should speak out?
Or rather who could speak out without attracting the same sh*tstorm as Kennaugh has?

People who aren't dumb hypocrites would be a good start.

Might be too much to ask in the current environment of pro cycling though.

Thus why it is better for the riders to say nothing. There are very few riders on teams who do not have a team member with a sordid past somwhere. Thus it doesn't matter what anyone says, there will always be someone to point them out as being hypocritical. So why bother asking where are all the clean athletes speaking out when we already know what the reaction will be regardless of what they say.

Alternatively, it will be that they called Astana out but wont call Froome or SKY out so Astana are scapegoats, or something. I think most pros have figured that out by now, keep your head down, do your job and let the relevant people do what they are at least supposed to do.

I think more than one person has said that if you get too wound up in what others are doing, you will mentally destroy yourself as you spend more time worrying about things outside your control than on what you are doing yourself.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
No it merely is if you open your mouth in cycling be prepared that if you are not consistent you will be called on it!

You happy that a guy can slam some riders but not others?

Why callout some guys who claim it was 'training only' and then ignore guys like Rogers and Evans who made the same ridiculous claims?

Why does Kennaugh ignore Knaven's time on Domo Farm Frittes?

Like I said they either call out everyone call-outable or nonone at all. One would barely have time to train. :)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Like I said they either call out everyone call-outable or nonone at all. One would barely have time to train. :)

Sure they do, just think everytime you were getting weighed by Geert Leinders you could have your 'call out a doper moment' of the day. In a few years you would have called out all those 'training' with dodgy doctors, starting with oneself of course.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Sure they do, just think everytime you were getting weighed by Geert Leinders you could have your 'call out a doper moment' of the day. In a few years you would have called out all those 'training' with dodgy doctors, starting with oneself of course.

You could tweet pictures, instagram ...
It does seem like certain people/issues become easy punching bags (Astana, DiLuca, Lance) whereas others, not so much.
Sort of like a magician deflecting attention or three card monte.

Granville57 said:
Wow! Upon closer inspection, this guy is a major douche.

What a complete tool.

The face of the new generation!

47d149419d8b5ecab17c7219868a9233_reasonably_small.jpeg

I simply don't get twitter. Who is saying what?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Hahaha I can't get the urge to watch those anymore. But didn't he finish like 13th at best before changing tack and going for breakaways? Anyway who knows it seems as if the more things change the more they stay the same.
yeah, but look at the ten riders ahead and behind him, and their ages. he was around 25, 26, 27, beating dopers, and dopers behind and infront, at the same age,dopers who would go on to win the GTs. Tells me those top ~30, no chance any of them were clean. OK, the Cofidis docs may not have doped him, he might have just done the minimum, like Evans, to get thru, the recovery doping. But i dont doubt for a sec that he indulged in the recovery doping, just like i reckon all the garmin A team do also.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd say Marcel managed himself pretty well on twitter, certainly much better than kennaugh did!

Marcel Kittel @marcelkittel · 15h 15 hours ago
...shows how important an Anti-Doping law in every country is.
0 replies 76 retweets 157 favorites
Reply Retweet76 Favorite157

There can't be any tolerance for a doping system especially like the one from the Padova investigation. It also...
0 replies 74 retweets 146 favorites
Reply Retweet74 Favorite146

I also hope that they will show strength with a decision that protects clean riders & underlines our call for a credible antidoping fight.
0 replies 96 retweets 200 favorites
Reply Retweet96 Favorite200

I really hope that the recent changes at the UCI & the new trust in @BrianCooksonUCI pay off after all the bad doping news of the last days.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
winkybiker said:
I simply don't get twitter. Who is saying what?

Those are tweets sent by William Goodfellow himself. Some are directed at Chris Horner, some at Tyler Hamilton.

Hold on...that account seems to have been deleted. :eek:

The Clinic strikes again! :)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
blackcat said:
yeah, but look at the ten riders ahead and behind him, and their ages. he was around 25, 26, 27, beating dopers, and dopers behind and infront, at the same age,dopers who would go on to win the GTs. Tells me those top ~30, no chance any of them were clean. OK, the Cofidis docs may not have doped him, he might have just done the minimum, like Evans, to get thru, the recovery doping. But i dont doubt for a sec that he indulged in the recovery doping, just like i reckon all the garmin A team do also.

When the Cofidis scandal came out Phillipe Gaumont talked in court. And later in his autobiography. He put dirt on everybody but repeated that 2 riders never had doped - David Moncoutié and Janek Tombak. David Millar said the same.
He further said that Moncoutié lived in his own world and didn't take satisfaction out of victories. For example Moncoutie said to him " I overtook xxx riders today on the climb" and was happy. Gaumont and Francois Migraine (boss of Cofidis at that time) both said that Moncoutié refused higher salary just because he wanted to do the races he wanted.
Moncoutié knew about doping in his team and clearly stated his opinion, but only inside the team...he never went outside like Bassons, that's why he was tolerated.

Just to give an insight on what a character Moncoutié was. I absolutely believe that Moncoutié was clean. There is no need for Gaumont or Millar or other persons who were at Cofidis and spoke out ...to drag everybody into the dirt but say " those 2 were clean" if they weren't. It would not make sense psychologically.
13th in the TdF and a good climber with beautiful victories in 1 week races ...KoM 4 times in the Vuelta and a couple of breakaway victories in TdF + Vuelta ...a great achievement against full doped competition. Sub 40 minutes in the Alpe TT 2004 not bad either.
I always said that Moncoutié would have been a candidate for winning a GT if things were equal.

If I was a clean rider... I'd say "No matter what I say, it's been said before by alledged dopers... Let's face it, most people already have an opinion on what I do and what I do not do. All I can do is show you the data and let people work on that opinion..."

In fact, I'd like to hear a rider say these words.

Problem is... You cannot PROVE that you're clean. You can prove someone dopes, but not the other way around. Montcoutié is a good example, for all the people in cycling that vouch for him as a clean rider, there are a good amount of people interpreting his results as a proof of doping. It's endless, and it's a dead end street.

See Andrew Hampsten, for instance. He has a good reputation, but many people will see his 4th place at GC in the 1992 TDF as a proof of doping when it could very well be one of the finest performances ever done by a clean athlete.

Being clean or not is a matter of opinion, i'm afraid.

@NL_LeMondFans said:
If I was a clean rider... I'd say "No matter what I say, it's been said before by alledged dopers

People keep repeating this but it's not true. What dopers have said has not been varied at all. Almost all of them simply lean on - never tested positive, claiming to train hard and saying that sport is clean now.

@NL_LeMondFans said:
See Andrew Hampsten, for instance. He has a good reputation, but many people will see his 4th place at GC in the 1992 TDF as a proof of doping when it could very well be one of the finest performances ever done by a clean athlete.

1992 is still possible but 1993 no way in hell keeping the pace with jetfueled clas cajastur robots, insane rhytme on bonette, pla d'adet and other climbs. absolutely zero chance, sorry.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
nayr497 said:
Pretty happy I'm relatively new to cycling and wasn't following the pro peloton in the 1990s.

Aside from the doping, the kits and bikes were pretty ugly too.

Not much different today, I'm affraid.
Still massive doping.
Kits are still ugly as sh!t.

Bikes however have improved both looks and performance. Cast your love on the bikes. :)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Arrowfarm said:
Still massive doping.

Bikes however have improved both looks and performance. Cast your love on the bikes. :)

I love 90s bikes. They didn't have that inner plate on the inside of the wheel. Thus the wheels looked bigger. Plus riders who were slim, but sort of muscular and not anorexic. Real men going crazy fast uphill. :cool:
Not that they looked much different in the 80s ( even bigger sometimes). Today is not normal regarding some riders. Some look unhealthy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
When the Cofidis scandal came out Phillipe Gaumont talked in court. And later in his autobiography. He put dirt on everybody but repeated that 2 riders never had doped - David Moncoutié and Janek Tombak. David Millar said the same.
He further said that Moncoutié lived in his own world and didn't take satisfaction out of victories. For example Moncoutie said to him " I overtook xxx riders today on the climb" and was happy. Gaumont and Francois Migraine (boss of Cofidis at that time) both said that Moncoutié refused higher salary just because he wanted to do the races he wanted.
Moncoutié knew about doping in his team and clearly stated his opinion, but only inside the team...he never went outside like Bassons, that's why he was tolerated.

Just to give an insight on what a character Moncoutié was. I absolutely believe that Moncoutié was clean. There is no need for Gaumont or Millar or other persons who were at Cofidis and spoke out ...to drag everybody into the dirt but say " those 2 were clean" if they weren't. It would not make sense psychologically.
13th in the TdF and a good climber with beautiful victories in 1 week races ...KoM 4 times in the Vuelta and a couple of breakaway victories in TdF + Vuelta ...a great achievement against full doped competition. Sub 40 minutes in the Alpe TT 2004 not bad either.
I always said that Moncoutié would have been a candidate for winning a GT if things were equal.
if he was clean. He was Lemond/Merckx level. And Ricky Riccio. dont forget Riccio

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Arrowfarm said:
Still massive doping.

mondrian la vie claire pugdog

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
@NL_LeMondFans said:
If I was a clean rider... I'd say "No matter what I say, it's been said before by alledged dopers... Let's face it, most people already have an opinion on what I do and what I do not do. All I can do is show you the data and let people work on that opinion..."

In fact, I'd like to hear a rider say these words.

Problem is... You cannot PROVE that you're clean. You can prove someone dopes, but not the other way around. Montcoutié is a good example, for all the people in cycling that vouch for him as a clean rider, there are a good amount of people interpreting his results as a proof of doping. It's endless, and it's a dead end street.

Being clean or not is a matter of opinion, i'm afraid.
if i was a clean rider, i would do like other clean riders before have done, i would get the fukc out of the sport, and you would not ever hear my views on doping on the newscycling forums and the newscycling main page. no one wanna hear the emperors clothes as it all makes everyone a little bit silly yah

TRENDING THREADS