• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

You might be a fred...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
kiwirider said:
... if you race to catch up to people at traffic lights and then slipstream them for as long as you can without saying a word and without ever thinking of taking a pull in the wind, you might be a Fred ...

I love doing something like this to the commuters with the expensive road bikes in all their lycra team kits, and quietly sit on their wheel while they bust their ar$es to ride at 30kmh... surely that doesn't make me a Fred...

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Saddlesaw said:
14. If you leave the plastic peak on your helmet you might be a Fred
15. If you have a DayGlo flag flying you might be a Fred
16. If you wear underwear under your knicks you might be a Fred
17. If you are playing music out loud from your MP3 player which is strapped to the bars (yes I have ridden with such an animal on a tour) you ARE a Fred!:eek:

Incidentally he also wore tube socks, wore a helmet mirror and had aero bars fitted to his MTB....best in class!

Perhaps I should just submit a photo of me on my road bike and then you can just place a brief description with lines pointing to the various points of the Fred Catalog that I have touched.

Topeak Road morph frame pump. CHECK
Bar End Mirror. CHECK
Attachment from bars to hold more bar mounted gadgetry. CHECK
Gigantic expandable Seat bag and Top tube Bag. CHECK
CatEye tld1000 blinkie visible from space. CHECK
BLINKIE attached to gigantic expandable seatbag with a piece of white plastic plumbing conduit. CHEEECKKK !!!!
Gut making it impossible to achieve aero position. CHECK
Reversible platform /SPD pedals. CHECK

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
I love doing something like this to the commuters with the expensive road bikes in all their lycra team kits, and quietly sit on their wheel while they bust their ar$es to ride at 30kmh... surely that doesn't make me a Fred...

I'd actually say that what you describe is the beginnings of a Fred bunch ride! (drum roll ... cymbal crash ...) :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one ... ;)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
If you've accumulated more than 5 thousand posts on a cycling forum,.. you just might be a fred. ;)

*If you spend more time fantasizing about cycling than actually riding you might be a fred
*If you spend more time analyzing your wattage output files than riding you might be a slow fred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

the scholarly tome on Fred.
there will be a test.
clr050.jpg
nofreds.jpg

A

Anonymous

You guys are making it so hard

"Fred or Poser?".... "Poser or Fred?" where do I want to be? I got a lot of the Poser gear, but my contrarian heart cries Fred... maybe there's a compromise... Instead of being an off-the rack, carbon copy (pun intended), me-too poser I'll be a Fred with a Flare. Frederico!

brewerjeff said:
"Fred or Poser?".... "Poser or Fred?" where do I want to be? I got a lot of the Poser gear, but my contrarian heart cries Fred... maybe there's a compromise... Instead of being an off-the rack, carbon copy (pun intended), me-too poser I'll be a Fred with a Flare. Frederico!

We probably need a separate poser thread since the two are different and people often confuse the two.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Being stuck in Venice at the moment I decided to do an evening ride up to Treviso to have a look at the Pinnarello shop and maybe buy a retro type cycling shirt or tee shirt.
Ok -
2. If you have a beard then you might be a fred.
I have a beard.
7. If ride on the road with a Camelbak then you might be a fred.
I rode with a back pack to maybe put the shirt in and I thought that it my have made me more aerodynamic on the 30k time trial to Treviso.
Find the shop. Find a nice retro cycling shirt in my size XL. (I’ve not been brave enough to ride with it yet). Starting to leave the shop an old guy with glasses comes out from behind the counter, Giovanni Pinarello him self.
I did not get a photo, nor did get him to sign the shirt. He did hit the wheel of my Specialized Roubaix with his walking stick. He took my pulse (just needed to get closer to my 725X to see it, but) he said that I had a strong pulse. The new Pinnarello kob bike came so long after Spi did the Roubaix. And I also own a Time VSX Vibraser. Thanks I’ll wait until a Pinarello wins the hell of the north is what I thought.
Ok-
Fred would have got him to sign the shirt and then sold it on Ebay. :)

After reading this, I definately feel like a fred. I dont have all the right gear, dont shave my legs but I put in the miles and am trying to improve as a cyclist. Saving for a better rig and gear. Cant you be something better than a fred for this ???? how bout a poor mans Schleck ?

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
We probably need a separate poser thread since the two are different and people often confuse the two.

I will defer to you, oh ancient one with the 5k PLUS posts. Please teach us the signs of the poser. I have neither the knowledge, nor experience nor time to start such a thread, and guide it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
I will defer to you, oh ancient one with the 5k PLUS posts. Please teach us the signs of the poser. I have neither the knowledge, nor experience nor time to start such a thread, and guide it.

6000 now...

Not sure if I know the signs of a Poser, but I am pretty sure I am one, ergo:

Bike worth more than car
shaves legs but usually only averages about 35kph (when ever I see mates just say I am on a "recovery" ride...)
Italian kit (Castelli, would be trumped by Assos or Rapha, naturally)
Has rollers, but I need to concentrate

I do (at least) race... but it is in a low grade...

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Notso Swift said:
6000 now...

Not sure if I know the signs of a Poser, but I am pretty sure I am one, ergo:

Bike worth more than car
shaves legs but usually only averages about 35kph (when ever I see mates just say I am on a "recovery" ride...)
Italian kit (Castelli, would be trumped by Assos or Rapha, naturally)
Has rollers, but I need to concentrate

I do (at least) race... but it is in a low grade...

Heh, I have a carbon, past tour worthy frame, and wear Pearl Izumi! I race to work according to my own idea of where the finish line is and contest random people on the weekend.

Poser though I may be, I am in better shape and having more fun than I have in years.

A

Anonymous

Fun?

Road Hazard said:
Heh, I have a carbon, past tour worthy frame, and wear Pearl Izumi! I race to work according to my own idea of where the finish line is and contest random people on the weekend.

Poser though I may be, I am in better shape and having more fun than I have in years.

Fun? You mean you have fun riding your bike? Can people TELL you are having fun? If you show it, I think "fun" is a Fred thing.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Err! Got a problem.
Well I’ve just got a Garmin 500 for my birthday.:)
Now I can time-trial against myself.:D
So now I’m a grey bearded fat old guy, riding a Specialized or Time bike with a Pinnarello shirt, hairy legs and a helmet that has won the Tour d France. And now I can’t stop because I’m racing myself.
Not only that, but I now have to ride everything twice to see if I can beat myself. (Or rather the small pointer on the screen that is so small I can hardly see it without my reading glasses).
Is that Fred or not Fred.
Oh and the Cannon bit is my mountain bike which has a Lefty –fork ?-. I say that it was cheaper like that and I’m saving up to buy the other half of the fork.;)
Poser or not.:cool:

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Several years ago, while new to cycling and in an austrere part of the world, I considered shipping an old 30 pound mountain bike with a new headset and drops and SPDs. Looking back I was so Fred I didn't even know it!

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
Fun? You mean you have fun riding your bike? Can people TELL you are having fun? If you show it, I think "fun" is a Fred thing.

Well I'm not sure. I'll have to check my reflection in the plate glass windows next time to see if I'm smiling like a dweeb while I ride.