• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Young fit men and heart attacks!!

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Why can't cyclists understand that taking dope damages your health, if you don't believe me then think about the number of young fit professional cyclists who suffer heart attacks or ailments every year!

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Macknulty said:
Why can't cyclists understand that taking dope damages your health, if you don't believe me then think about the number of young fit professional cyclists who suffer heart attacks or ailments every year!

Why don't you ring up a mother whos son died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and tell her your theory that he died from taking dope.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Macknulty said:
.... or ailments every year!

and I am old and quite fit....and this cold never seems to stay away for long....oh....and my knee is always playing up.....and you want to see the state of my undercarriage after a 400 mile week....and i am pretty sure my sp*rm count isn't what it used to be

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
gruppetto said:
Why don't you ring up a mother whos son died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome and tell her your theory that he died from taking dope.

Yeah right, that's what caused all those deaths in the 90's, SADS. :rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Macknulty said:

People who have read my posts will know I am far from naive about doping, but there are other factors in play. For a start, a lot of cyclists think nothing of training with a moderate or even severe cold or flu, which significantly increases the risk of myocarditis. In autopsies of scandinavian xc skiiers they found infected heart muscle was a significant cause of sudden death in young athletes. There is also the possibility of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which may be exacerbated by PEDs but can exist without them. And there are those who are genetically unlucky. Vale Willo.

PED's have cost lives, but in individual cases it is neither fair nor rational to point the finger at any one cause without specific knowledge of the case.

I know 4 guys I used to train/race with that have died from heart failure. All were under age 35. One was 26.

My mate emailed me one morning to talk more about 'cleaning up his diet' as he had been diagnosed with a heart conditions his doctors said 'has nothing to do with diet and isnt improved with diet.'. I highlighted the fact that fellow South Ozy, Stuart Ogrady had a clogged artery despite riding over 30 000km a year for almost 10 year prior.

My friend sent me an email to organise a time to catch up during the week. He turned his computer off and headed up norton summit and died from a fatal heart attack.

Nobody has a crystal ball and nobody knows exactly if a dietary/ lifestyle change can save a life but lets have a crack at least.

This is a good book whilst we are on topic.
http://www.heartattackproof.com

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
gruppetto said:

yeah like my friend who was an athlete. he died at 23 dropped dead running sprints for basketball warm up in college healthy drug free. it is somewhat common for endurance athletes in particular to have heart issues after all any defect or problem will eventually be shown by the heavy load placed on the cardiovascular system.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Realist said:
People who have read my posts will know I am far from naive about doping, but there are other factors in play. For a start, a lot of cyclists think nothing of training with a moderate or even severe cold or flu, which significantly increases the risk of myocarditis. In autopsies of scandinavian xc skiiers they found infected heart muscle was a significant cause of sudden death in young athletes. There is also the possibility of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which may be exacerbated by PEDs but can exist without them. And there are those who are genetically unlucky. Vale Willo.

PED's have cost lives, but in individual cases it is neither fair nor rational to point the finger at any one cause without specific knowledge of the case.

+1...very well put.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually amazed that more high level and elite athletes don't keel over from heart attacks and the like, doping or not. Think about the stress that athletes like that put their body though. Yes, as you get more and more fit the body adapts, but there has to get a point were the body can only perform on edge day after day, year after year for so long, especially if you have some sort of pre existing and probably not that uncommon condition that would go a life time unnoticed for a person who doesn't subject their CV system to such stress.

Young athletes die all the time due to a variety of reasons, I'll guess that the large majority of them have nothing to do with PEDs. Of course here in the CN interwebz forums, there are a lot of folks like the OP who seem to assume it's the most likely reason although they have no evidence to back up their allegations.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I see I have generated some worthy discussion and I accept there are many reasons why people have heart attacks and heart related problems in sport. But can anyone dispel the recent story I read of pro-cyclists having to get up at night in hotel rooms to start pedaling on their trainers to keep their blood pumping because of coagulation caused by dosages of EPO.
Oh... I am a cyclist and have been racing for 5 years, so I am not a mug.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
At the time, cyclist would turbocharge their VO2 by increasing their hematocrite to dangerous levels (mr. 60 percent and all that). So some of them were probably instructed by their doctors to have these precautions.

TRENDING THREADS