• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your 2018 Season Highlights

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just saw this, and i'll respond a bit late. I thought Dumoulin's season was super impressive so that's why for me he's the rider of the year, I could have made the same argument for Thomas or Simon Yates (Viviani's season was very dominant too), but decided to go with Dumoulin for actually his year round consistency.

If Alaphillipe won at the Worlds i'd have chosen him.

Re:

greenedge said:
Just saw this, and i'll respond a bit late. I thought Dumoulin's season was super impressive so that's why for me he's the rider of the year, I could have made the same argument for Thomas or Simon Yates (Viviani's season was very dominant too), but decided to go with Dumoulin for actually his year round consistency.

If Alaphillipe won at the Worlds i'd have chosen him.
Alaphilippe with Worlds would be very close.

Now it's crazy that with the season he's had he's not even top 10 :eek:

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Alaphilippe would be top 10 for me.

Really? But he did have a better season in 2016, when he won Cali and did nothing in the Tour, right? :D

LOL, No. I'm fairly sure he had a lot more wins this year than he had in 2016. He seemed to have found a bit more consistency until we got to the end of the season. Besides 2016 was Sagan's year.

I was just teasing a bit.

He has taken a tremendous step forward this year. Despite everything about him seeming like a real winner, he had only won 6 races before this year - and just a stage in the Vuelta and a time trial in Paris-Nice as his only WT victories.

This year, he won no less than 12 races, 7 of which were on the WorldTour, including two stages in the Tour and two of the biggest non-monument one day races, in FW and Clásica San Sebastián.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Alaphilippe would be top 10 for me.

Really? But he did have a better season in 2016, when he won Cali and did nothing in the Tour, right? :D

LOL, No. I'm fairly sure he had a lot more wins this year than he had in 2016. He seemed to have found a bit more consistency until we got to the end of the season. Besides 2016 was Sagan's year.

I was just teasing a bit.

He has taken a tremendous step forward this year. Despite everything about him seeming like a real winner, he had only won 6 races before this year - and just a stage in the Vuelta and a time trial in Paris-Nice as his only WT victories.

This year, he won no less than 12 races, 7 of which were on the WorldTour, including two stages in the Tour and two of the biggest non-monument one day races, in FW and Clásica San Sebastián.

He definitely took a huge leap forward this year. I'm not sure he'll ever be a true GC rider, but he's going to be a force for one day races and stages in any race he goes to.

Alaf' is a fantastic bike rider with many productive years ahead of him. When he's done, his trophy case will be impressive. Too bad that he under-performed at the Worlds. It kind of spoiled the finish of the fine wine that he was for his '18 vintage...and that cost him the French Velo d'Or, although I think he deserved it. "Your 2018 Season Highlights" is the thread, Lombardia was the highlight for French cycling in '18, by a mile. In the end, Tibopino's monumental win eclipsed everything, everyone.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Has historically anyone had a truly great year without winning a GT, a monument or the WCRR?
GVA in 2016 was pretty good. Certainly not an historically all time great year, but winning a WT stage race, a cobbled classic, Tour de France stage (+ yellow jersey) and the Olympics is impressive, plus loads of other solid top 10s.

DFA123 said:
Singer01 said:
Has historically anyone had a truly great year without winning a GT, a monument or the WCRR?
GVA in 2016 was pretty good. Certainly not an historically all time great year, but winning a WT stage race, a cobbled classic, Tour de France stage (+ yellow jersey) and the Olympics is impressive, plus loads of other solid top 10s.

I would ask the same question and exclude the Olympics as well