• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your occupation

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Lots of things...

Telecoms Consultant in 3G & future technologies, have my own design Co, developing measurement sensors for sports applications and currently designing the next generation of cycling computers - think beyond power and torque......

Live in Spain, married to a lovely Chinese lady and we have a 9 month-old daughter who is too smart for her own good.

Life is good, but need somebody to design a day that has 48 hours, not 24..... too many things to do, too many places to go!

Train most days in the mornings, plus ride to work, slowly getting rid of too much "good life" from my midriff:)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
EtapeReine said:
Just joined. Ex-Mechanical Engineer, and management consultant, now contract management consultant (freelance) and cycling tour operator. I'm aiming for a 'portfolio' career combining my passions, what I'm good at, and what pays the bills!
I'm a Mech. Eng undergraduate, "mature" student. Actually, of the few people I've met who've studied it, many seem to be doing something else now... uh-oh.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
I'm a Mech. Eng undergraduate, "mature" student. Actually, of the few people I've met who've studied it, many seem to be doing something else now... uh-oh.

I'm starting my 2nd year in the ME undergrad program in about a month. But this will the first year with ME classes, as the 1st year was mostly your basic college classes (history, English, Math). Of course, I've still got a lot of Math to take, yet!

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
I'm starting my 2nd year in the ME undergrad program in about a month. But this will the first year with ME classes, as the 1st year was mostly your basic college classes (history, English, Math). Of course, I've still got a lot of Math to take, yet!
I think the hardest maths I've done so far has been some aspect of calculus, maybe line integrals or surface integrals (had to check wikipedia there to even get the terms right). But aeronautical engineers and those doing mech with aero seem to have it slightly harder (I share some classes with them). None of the maths so far has been impossible to grasp, though.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
What are you studying?

Psychophysiology. At the moment I'm concerned with brain activity in relation with basic perceptual processing, intelligence and personality. What about you? :)

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Jeanne said:
Psychophysiology. At the moment I'm concerned with brain activity in relation with basic perceptual processing, intelligence and personality. What about you? :)

I have a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry. I was hoping to find some interesting stuff in the clinic but it seems filled with rumour and guess-work most of the time...

May 17, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
I think the hardest maths I've done so far has been some aspect of calculus, maybe line integrals or surface integrals (had to check wikipedia there to even get the terms right). But aeronautical engineers and those doing mech with aero seem to have it slightly harder (I share some classes with them). None of the maths so far has been impossible to grasp, though.

I notice that after doing things life boundary layer theory and computational fluid dynamics things are generally just mathematical. But the mathematics is not abstract. :):):)

patterson_hood said:
I have a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry. I was hoping to find some interesting stuff in the clinic but it seems filled with rumour and guess-work most of the time...

and that is why an educated, informed person, such as yourself, will be a benefit to clinic. it is wasteland most of the time.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
and that is why an educated, informed person, such as yourself, will be a benefit to clinic. it is wasteland most of the time.

The problem seems to be rumour trumps reason every time. If there is no evidence it's because the UCI or ASO cover it up. I wouldn't be suprised if someone said they saw Tupac and Elivs handing out syringes.

There's a place for rumour in open discussion because sometimes there won't be evidence (I believe Marion Jones never tested positive) but the clinic takes it to extreme levels.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:

Mech Eng here. I graduated about 6 years ago.

ME is a good career actually, it pays ok and being such a wide engineering, it is not too hard to find an ME job. Some folks move later on in their careers into other stuff such as management, finances or business but a lot of these moves are based on more $$ (i.e. a VP position in management pays more than being Senior Design Engineer) and not lack of ME jobs.

If you love math, you will love the ME business! :D

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
The problem seems to be rumour trumps reason every time. If there is no evidence it's because the UCI or ASO cover it up. I wouldn't be suprised if someone said they saw Tupac and Elivs handing out syringes.

There's a place for rumour in open discussion because sometimes there won't be evidence (I believe Marion Jones never tested positive) but the clinic takes it to extreme levels.

I order to hear, one must be silent.

TRENDING THREADS