• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Youth CQ Ranking Game 2014

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nicosix said:
A little team presentation :

LUDVIGSSON Fredrik 2 picks

This young swedish brother of you know who has had a tremendous year last season and his tt skills could help him go even higher. Second of Tour of Estonia, Winner of les Boucles de l'Artois, he is going to rise up in his new team. Only two picks so he could make the difference for us.

HOWSON Damien 20 picks
The ITT world champion U23 is coming to Orica this year and should start scoring this week at his Nationals

EWAN Caleb 49 picks
What else? The best sprinter in the U23 field could have a destiny like Arnaud Demare this year before entering the Pro Circus

ZORDAN Andrea 28 picks
This young italian has a big talent and could prove it in his team with less concurrence than Villella in his for instance.

LATOUR Pierre-Roger 7 picks
This young frenchmen had a nice stage at AG2R and proved he could do well with the pros (5th in the Tour du Doubs, 13th in Giro dell'Emilia)
He is going to be France U23 leader and could have the same season as Barguil two years ago

ALAPHILIPPE Julian 32 picks
The 'little Sagan' starts a pro carrier in a team that could suit him well. His first race in Australia could be surprising

FORMOLO Davide 22 picks
Villella was too expensive and this young italian has as much talent but is much cheaper

YATES Adam 28 picks
Same as above, his brother was too expensive and he seems to climb well even better than his sibling

PHELAN Adam 6 picks
Another young australian who could have at Drapac a lot of responsabilities. Definitly a good pick since we only are 6 with him

REINDERS Elmar 1 pick
A young dutchman who has cobbles skills. He could be a surprise and since we are the only one stuck with him...

PARRA BUSTAMENTE Heiner Rodrigo 23 picks
This colombian has great talent and is a pure climber. His arrival at Caja Rural could help him score a lot of points on the spanish calendar or exotic races

FEDI Andrea 5 picks
A bit surprising that he has been forgotten. Andrea could have a great italian season and is a fast rider. He could start scoring this week at the Vuelta a Tachira where his new team is invited (and he is on the startlist)

DOULL Owain 1 pick
Surprising to see that on an english speaking forum, this young british rider has been forgotten. He is a sprinter and could score well.

CAMPENAERTS Victor 4 picks
The new TT reference in Europe is arriving at Topsport Vlaanderen. Only 4 picks makes him a decider!

YSSAAD Yannis 1 pick
Yannis Yssaad is a young french sprinter who could score a lot in the french classics. You are going to be amazed!

Last and for all, I think I could have a go for the win this year!
Watch out :D

nice team review, I think LUDVIGSSON (and also HERKLOTZ) are perhaps not picked often as there is a ceiling on how many points they could improve by. Latour I like a lot, and would have been my main team too if AG2R had gone early for him.

Parra looks a very god choice and a lot will depend on how well he does in comparision to the more popular (due to price) Henao and Quintana.

Doull, I think people wonder how much he ride on the track, which might limit his point scoring chances. Last year only one team took Simon Yates at 2 points.

(due to a reshuffle to get under budget another team has now gone for Yssaad, so he's not unique anymore)

edit - some slight issues with the age data in the spreadsheet, will be sorted by the first update. (you can check your team yourself if you need - in 4 or 5 teams some of the formula pulls through for the wrong rider entry data just double check it reads A3 for the first rider and then incrementally down, if out of place edit manually or copy and paste a working cell to cell that's wrong)

And by the way, I've at least three french friends who thought the deadline was today.

Is it still possible for them to send a team? They have it ready to send and didn't look at the spreadsheet before doing it

Nicosix said:
And by the way, I've at least three french friends who thought the deadline was today.

Is it still possible for them to send a team? They have it ready to send and didn't look at the spreadsheet before doing it

that's fine, they might get an asterix if they perform particularly well to denote they missed the deadline - but yes if they can undertake to not look at the spreadsheet/thread that would be good.

Jan Polanc = One of the most promising youngsters in the world. Extremely gifted uphill – Tons of grit. A real pit-bull (sorry Talansky) !

Damien Howson = That engine of his, will take him far. Well-rounded athlete who I rate highly.

Sam Bennett Fast and resilient. Dangerous skill-set! At NetApp he will have carte-blanche.

Jasper StuyvenLooking forward to following him in the semi-classics.

Lasse Norman Hansen = Exceptional well-rounded rider. Looking forward to tracking his TT progression (hopefully) and him gaining experience on the cobbles!

Julian Alaphilippe = Yes sir! Immense class on a bike! Sadly a lot of teams where already aware of that it seems!

Davide Formolo = Excellent climber. Looking forward to following him in the mountains this season.

Clement Chevrier = Great climber. Team-leader. Will be able to ride an excellent calendar with Bissell, which hopefully translates into some healthy points – CQ wise!

James OramSecond in command at Bissell. Hopefully he can follow in Lawson Craddocks footsteps. Impressed me a lot, in Tour of Southland. California, Utah and USA Pro will be great opportunities to show off his class. (Tao Geoghegan Hart and G. Curran Etc. properly needs 1 full season to adapt themselves to a higher level).

Daniel Hoelgaard = - Fast and strong competitor - Who will be playing a bigger role within Etixx this season. No doubt, they will try setting him up for the sprints, then it’s just up to him to try and finish it off.

Niccolo Bonifazio. I love his style on the bike and his low-positioned aerodynamic sprinting. Excellent qualities. I hope he will be able to break the 200 points mark.

Christophe Laporte. He is here, because the French calendar normally is very, very generous points wise. He’s got speed and he’s got strength so he should be able to show himself of occasionally. A wild-card!

Luis Largo = Fantastic climber. I am not the slightest bit in doubt he’s got a climbing engine well suited for the world-tour! Born 3000 meters above sea-level. His technique on the bike is not the best, but hopefully it will hold up to the European scene!

Isaac Bolivar = Just about the only GC threat on UnitedHealthcare. Not counting guys like Lucas Euser and De Maar and whatnot! Impressed me climbing wise in Fusagasuga 2 years ago, so defiantly there is something to continue building on.

Daniel Jaramillo = Always been a lot of hype surrounding this kid, because of his performances in the youth versions of Vuelta Colombia! I never really been a fan though, but he transfer to Jamis – Hagens means that together with G. Brenes (and maybe Rob Squire) there will be a lot of freedom GC wise! Therefor he found a way to my final squad.

Good luck to everyone! Hopefully it’s going to be close and a lot of fun!

May 28, 2012
Visit site
My team has several names that don't need an introduction; Gougeard, Zilioli, Geoghegan Hart, Kudus, Mohoric, Adam Yates, Latour, Bolivar and Olivier have all been introduced or are already known. Then on to the other riders:

BROECKX Stig: This strong guy has shown his skill during his recent stage period at Lotto, and became best young rider after fighting in the echelons of the World Ports classic. He is a versatile rider, which will hopefully mean he can get results in both stage races and one day races, where Greipel isn't present. He will make his official pro debut Down Under, and I'm anxious to see what he'll do in the tougher stages.

GROENEWEGEN Dylan: Not afraid of the mud, is currently riding a selective 'cross program in the Netherlands. While this hasn't proven to be his specialty, it helps him to prepare for the road season, where the sprinter will want to continue his halted progression, after having such a promising start in 2012 at the U23. He'll be one of the leading riders on De Rijke(CT) and his program suits him to perfection, mostly consisting of flat and hilly races. If he can get his placings in 1.1 races he'll be sure to beat 200 points this year.

BENOOT Tiesj: Tiesj was one of the best Belgian junior riders in 2012, but his first year as an espoir has been underestimated, which surprises me. In the 2.2 race Circuit des Ardennes he bacame fourth, fifteen seconds behind the unbeatable Riccardo Zoidl. While he only won one race in the season, it was his performance in the Grand Prix de Wallonie that convinced me. In this rain-ridden race, he finished 17th, in the same time as Gilbert and Van Avermaet. And him being a unique pick, I hope he'll get a good amount of points.

SEQUERA Pedro: This guy was the best young rider in the Vuelta Ciclista a Venezuela, an important race in his home country. Next year he'll ride in Savio's team, and considering the Italian has an eye for talent, I figured I needed him in my team.

TIETEMA Bas: This Dutchman was a regular winner in the 2013 junior peloton. Next year he'll ride for BMC development, so his performances haven't gone unnoticed. He dreams of Paris-Roubaix, and Fabian will have seen it coming.

Bbm_bfNIYAATqVh.jpg:large

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
VILLELLA Davide
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
GUERIN Alexis
DE BIE Sean
OLIVIER Daan
EISENHART Taylor
CRADDOCK Lawson
HENAO MARIN Sebastian
JARAMILLO DIEZ Daniel Alexander
PARRA BUSTAMENTE Heiner Rodrigo
HERKLOTZ Silvio
SVENDSEN Oskar
LECUISINIER Pierre-Henri
MOHORIC Matej
PAILLOT Yoann

Aside the WC, never been really into the u23 action :eek: (hope to change that while following this game). So, my team entry is not so much a result of my expertise in cycling junior ranks, but more a result of manipulating the CQRanking.com tools.

VILLELLA Davide
MOHORIC Matej
SILVESTRE Fabio Andre Tomas
BENNETT Sam
EWAN Caleb
KONRAD Patrick
FORMOLO Davide
YATES Adam
SIMION Paolo
FOLIFOROV Alexander
WILLWOHL Willi
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
GROSU Eduard-Michael
FEDOSSEYEV Artur
ZURLO Federico

My two unique picks are SIMION and GROSU, and even if Grosu was Romania TT national champ at 21, Simion had two better wins in last year Giro delle Regione last stage, and in Trofeo Arvedi.

Pentacycle said:
GROENEWEGEN Dylan: Not afraid of the mud, is currently riding a selective 'cross program in the Netherlands. While this hasn't proven to be his specialty, it helps him to prepare for the road season, where the sprinter will want to continue his halted progression, after having such a promising start in 2012 at the U23. He'll be one of the leading riders on De Rijke(CT) and his program suits him to perfection, mostly consisting of flat and hilly races. If he can get his placings in 1.1 races he'll be sure to beat 200 points this year.

BENOOT Tiesj: Tiesj was one of the best Belgian junior riders in 2012, but his first year as an espoir has been underestimated, which surprises me. In the 2.2 race Circuit des Ardennes he bacame fourth, fifteen seconds behind the unbeatable Riccardo Zoidl. While he only won one race in the season, it was his performance in the Grand Prix de Wallonie that convinced me. In this rain-ridden race, he finished 17th, in the same time as Gilbert and Van Avermaet. And him being a unique pick, I hope he'll get a good amount of points.

I choose GROENEWEGEN in the first edition of the game (he was also the first name on my Main game 2014 shortlist at the sametime), he had a pretty good season at u23 but didnt match his performances in 1.1 races as in 2012. Glad someone will be following him in this year's game. could be a great pick.

Have heard good things about BENOOT recently but also again due one team's last minute budget related reshuffle he isnt unique either.

****io start the run down of their top 10 most anticipated neo-pros starting with 10. Craddock and 9. Zordan

link - GT type in the s p a z over ****

Cycling4fans list grading u23 from 2013 can be found here link - GT

Crucially they have Senechal placed one ahead of Mohoric in 28th and 29th respectively. List is headed by Ewan, ahead of Herklotz and Van Baarle. Interestingly they have Vakoc in 8th place - at 117 points he is a unique pick for minessa. I guess that shows the team situation in 2014 is as big a factor as performance in 2013.

My team:

VILLELLA Davide 219 (was very much in doubt between him and Polanc, but I think he will be more suited to getting points now with his fast finish, and he should also get many chances to ride for himself for instance in the italian classics that Sagan rarely rides)

HOWSON Damien 132 (obvious pick with his huge motor)

BENNETT Sam 121 (fastest man on his team and strong for some one day races too, should give him many points)

EWAN Caleb 110 (obvious pick)

ZABEL Rick 105 (fast and solid and should get many chances as first sprinter in a protourteam with Hushovd the only other real sprinter, that should give many points)

ZORDAN Andrea 91 (big talent and again should score well being fast, also with the other sprinters at Androni like Gavazzi and Hummel not with his allroundabilities)

ALAPHILIPPE Julian 74 (huge talent that could score big if he get his own chances)

KOLAR Michael 52 (a bit of a unknown, but he could end up as the nr 1 sprinter at Saxo, that must give some points)

Barbier Rudy 45 (solid and fast, should give good points on the french calender)

RUFFONI Nicola 23 (certain pick as very cheap for a decent sprinter that should get many chances, Bonifazio for instance was tempting and better but will have a much harder getting his chance on Lampre with Modolo/Ferrari/Richeze etc. I suppose)

OLIVIER Daan 17 (certain, as to cheap to skip)

JARAMILLO DIEZ Daniel Alexander 0 (certain pick, should get some good GC-points in the US-stageraces)

POLJANSKI Pawel 0 (a bit of a wildcard but apparently great testresults and hopefully he can follow in Majkas path)

QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney 0 (another wildcard, his results are so so but a bit handicapepd by his pause, but sounds pretty optimistic for the future and if only he has a bit of his brothers talent he should be a fine pick)

VAN DER POEL Mathieu 0 (supertalent that should get some points despite his young age and he also qualifies as the continental 1992+ rider)

15-989

Riders that was closest to making the cut but lost out to Kolar and Barbier in the end:

Schurter Nino 0 (would only ride TDR and TDS, but could likely have a big potential for these two races)
Stuyven Jasper 108 (huge talent but feared for him not getting too many chances to ride for himself with both better classicriders and faster riders on his team)

S. Yates, Senechal, Mohoric, Brenes, De Bie, Formolo, Chevrier, Bonifazio, Manfredi, Conti, R. Torres and Henao were also quite tempting for me but could not quite fit them in.

mc_mountain said:
Have heard good things about BENOOT recently but also again due one team's last minute budget related reshuffle he isnt unique either.

I would have had him in my team too, but it seemed a bit risky selecting him since he had/has mononucleosis. Hopefully it won't disrupt his year too much.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
ZILIOLI Gianfranco
DILLIER Silvan
VILLELLA Davide
LECUISINIER Pierre-Henri
VERHELST Louis
LE GAC Olivier
THEUNS Edward
CAMPENAERTS Victor
MOHORIC Matej
FIORENZA Alfonso
DUNNE Conor
SCARTEZZINI Michele
VLIEGEN Loïc
MEIJERS Jeroen
CHIRICO Luca

Team explanation!

YATES Simon: 164
One of the best U23 riders last season. I might regret picking him if he doesn't get the chances he need to score big. Will be quite decisive, I think.

HOWSON Damien: 132
Very talented rider in my opinion, and I'm sure his big engine will earn him quite a few points this season. Could be one of this year's revelations.

SENECHAL Florian: 126
I had him last year and if it ain't broken, why fix it? I'm sure he'll have a breakthrough already this season.

EWAN Caleb: 110
Probably the most promising young sprinter out there. I think he'll have a big breakthrough already this season.

STUYVEN Jasper: 108
One of the neo-pros I look forward to follow the most this season. He could have a great year. For some reason I forgot to include him in my main team :(

GOUGEARD Alexis: 79
Very talented young rider, who I think could have a very good season.

ALAPHILIPPE Julian: 74
Could surprise a few people this season. Incredibly talented and could score quite big even if he's on a star stutted team.

DE BIE Sean: 61
Didn't quite set the U23 scene alight last season as some might have expected, but nontheless he's quite a talent and could have a decent season.

FORMOLO Davide: 59
Young, promising Italian climber who could have a very good first season among the pros, I think.

SÜTTERLIN Jasha: 43
Should easily triple his points. Talented rider with a good ITT which is a recipe for point making.

LECUISINIER Pierre-Henri: 18
Very interesting rider who I very much look foward to follow this season.

ZEPUNTKE Ruben: 16
Seems quite talented and could get a few chances on his own at Bissel.

WERDA Maximilian: 8
Well, he was a cheap and talented rider. Just what I needed for my remaining budget of 9 points.

HENAO MARIN Sebastian: 1
Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. I only picked him because of his name.

QUINTANA ROJAS Dayer Uberney: 0
Honestly, I have no idea what to expect. I only picked him because of his name.

I think that Sebastian Henao is a much bigger talent than Dayer Quintana, but who knows. Senechal could get easy points at the Amissa Bongo already. I had him in the first draft of my team, but then had to replace him as he was relatively expensive.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Leadbelly said:
I would have had him in my team too, but it seemed a bit risky selecting him since he had/has mononucleosis. Hopefully it won't disrupt his year too much.

He has been training for 3-4 weeks now, so he's had a setback. But if he can pick up his progression halfway through the season he can be a factor in all kinds of Belgian races + l'Avenir and U23 worlds.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I finally found the thread to the CQ 2014 teams list thanks to olafjt.

Here is my team :

VILLELLA Davide No explanation is necessary for this choice I guess
VAN DER LIJKE Nick " " "
MOHORIC Matej " " "
VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael This 21 year old guy won the last 2 U23 Liège/Bastogne/Liège : Enough for a Belgian guy like me to pick him up (I live on LBL race road in the Belgian Ardennes...)
ALAPHILIPPE Julian Very good French young guy. Should gain valuable points in his WT team
ALAFACI Eugenio Good sprinter, now in a WT team
FORMOLO Davide One of the best young Italians, also in a WT team
VALLEE Boris Young racer coming from my neighbourhood, he is one of the very best Belgian young racers, now also in a WT team.
KOLAR Michael Good young Slovak sprinter......
FEDI Andrea One of the good Italian 2004 offspring
CAMPENAERTS Victor Obvious Belgian pick for an ITT European Champion U23
ARSLANOV Ildar He was a Junior last year, but he impressed me these last 2 years by his performances in Belgian Ardennes youth races
WATSON Calvin Well, he 's been given a golden chance by TREK, they must have some reasons for this...
BERTILSSON Christian Good racer who could not be worse than in 2013 normally
PEDERSEN Mads He is the racer of tomorrow. As a junior in 2012 and 2013, he won almost all hard races here in Belgium.

mc_mountain said:
Most Unique teams

points is the number of times the riders on that team occur in the game

zitF4ko.png

mc_mountain said:
the top 10 most popular riders

and the teams with the best score in terms of popularity - if a rider is on 50 teams the score is 50, unique 1. total of the 12-15 riders.

TAY54Hh.png

Out of interest do you have the full lists for these. If youve already deleted them is fine, or if it takes more than a few seconds don't worry, not that important, just wondering in case they are still there wanted to take a look at where I and my friend were placed.

The Hitch said:
Out of interest do you have the full lists for these. If youve already deleted them is fine, or if it takes more than a few seconds don't worry, not that important, just wondering in case they are still there wanted to take a look at where I and my friend were placed.

some it not all of this info is in the spreadsheet it you have it downloaded.

rank popularity tab
rider popularity tab
both at the front

uniques tab
at the back

at this point this information may not be 100% accurate and is subject to change.

The Hitch said:
I wonder how many of the people that picked Quintana were there for the 2 year Juraj Sagan experiment on the cq main game:p

That said, I picked lil Mig but thats cos I needed a cheap rider and wanted to maybe get youngest pick of the game.

I wanted to pick Indurain jr. as well for the hell of it, but he doesn't have a CQ profile yet. Does anyone know what's up with that?